2018-2019 University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone share the dates for second look?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know when the next round of decisions are coming out?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in early November, I was told I would hear back in January but haven't gotten anything. I was starting to get really worried that I was getting passed up, but after reading this it seems like they are just running late. Have no admit decisions been released since January?

Anyone know when the next round of decisions are coming out?
Looking at previous threads, looks like 2/28 or 3/1.

3ee849bd-8cfc-40b3-98ba-2e39b2ec8c2f.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Do you know when they historically start sending out financial aid packages?
All I know is that I asked the student who sent me the note that came with the scrubs, and they say they got theirs mid-March. I don't know when they were accepted though, so if they were accepted in October vs January, that could make a difference. I'm thinking fall admits will have theirs in time for revisit?

Anyone have any clue when the next round of decisions will be going out?

Reactions: 2 users
Last year I believe it was the Wednesday after
President's day so tomorrow?
it would be lit to hear back tomorrow, i interviewed in early October and haven't heard anything so I'm assuming silent R or WL if i dont hear back soon

Reactions: 5 users
it would be lit to hear back tomorrow, i interviewed in early October and haven't heard anything so I'm assuming silent R or WL if i dont hear back soon
Reviewed back in October and it's also been silence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone brave enough to call and ask? :D

Reactions: 1 users
i will if i get out of work in time
Called just now, the person who answered said they don't have a particular date yet but she estimated Early-Mid March

Reactions: 6 users
I feel like because of worry over the new AAMC rules they are pushing it back towards their non-rolling competitors‘ decision dates. That way, for instance, students are less likely to hold a pritzker acceptance while waiting on somewhere like Penn.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel like because of worry over the new AAMC rules they are pushing it back towards their non-rolling competitors‘ decision dates. That way, for instance, students are less likely to hold a pritzker acceptance while waiting on somewhere like Penn.
I can imagine them growing tired of having to match scholarships lol, I feel like other schools like Baylor have been taking similar approach, pushing back acceptances till after the non rolling schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds super plausible tbh

Can you explain the logic here to me? I understand the new AAMC rules, but what difference does it make for when schools like Pritzker release decisions? In any previous year, someone who was accepted early could still have been waiting on a school like Penn. Every other year commitments to an MD school weren't binding until after the April deadline, so why is their timeline any different this year? (And to clarify - this is not a question about waitlist movement, which is obviously anticipated to be more active with the change in traffic rules)

Can you explain the logic here to me? I understand the new AAMC rules, but what difference does it make for when schools like Pritzker release decisions? In any previous year, someone who was accepted early could still have been waiting on a school like Penn. Every other year commitments to an MD school weren't binding until after the April deadline, so why is their timeline any different this year? (And to clarify - this is not a question about waitlist movement, which is obviously anticipated to be more active with the change in traffic rules)

From what I understand, medical schools used to receive weekly reports of other acceptances being held by admitted students. To some degree this may have allowed them to anticipate which students would actually matriculate, and which would relinquish the offer of admission. This year, they are no longer able to see admissions offers being held by these students, because AAMC felt it led to unfair appropriation of merit scholarships to “desirable” students (that’s another story though). Perhaps having that information would give them more security for planning class size and, by extension, offers of acceptance.

Essentially, without this information, they may be more cautious about giving out acceptances. For instance, if a very strong candidate gets into several top non-rolling schools and can only hold 3 acceptances, they may be less likely to hold Pritzker as one of those 3. In that way, Pritzker benefits from releasing decisions at the same time as those schools because students may reject the acceptance outright rather than hold it until 4/30.

On a separate note, I interviewed mid-way through the season and several other rolling admissions schools have stated explicitly that they are releasing decisions later due to new “traffic rules”. This probably isn’t a dead-on explanation of why they have chosen to do so, but it’s my best stab at it.

Unrelated to decisions release but should we expect anything to show up in the Additional Info/Letter tabs of the portal for accepted students? And when should we expect to hear about financial aid packages?

Unrelated to decisions release but should we expect anything to show up in the Additional Info/Letter tabs of the portal for accepted students? And when should we expect to hear about financial aid packages?

I was accepted since last fall and nothing changed on the portal for me :-/

Just called and they said all decisions should be out by the end of the month.

Reactions: 9 users
I mean... End of February would be close to early March lol

I noticed the other day that University of Chicago’s hospital is ranked significantly lower than the UChicago medical school. It seems like most other programs have pretty similar rankings between the school and the hospital. Does anyone know why their hospital is so relatively low-ranked?

I noticed the other day that University of Chicago’s hospital is ranked significantly lower than the UChicago medical school. It seems like most other programs have pretty similar rankings between the school and the hospital. Does anyone know why their hospital is so relatively low-ranked?

Well I'm just going to take a guess here, one possibility is that it's a smaller than hospital systems like the Harvard affiliates or Penn Medicine. Within Chicago, the Northwestern hospital system is massive, and although I'm not sure exactly, it is definitely larger in size than UChicago.

Does anyone know if most of the acceptances will be given out now, or if the acceptances are pretty evenly spread throughout the cycle?

No one who has interviewed since at least the middle of November has been accepted. I would imagine there are still a lot of acceptances left to go out.

Last edited:
No one who has interviewed since at least the middle of November has been interviewed. I would imagine there are still a lot of acceptances left to go out.
To further this, the size of the admitted student facebook group is very small (~100)

Any predictions for final acceptances? :nailbiting:

Someone on the Vanderbilt thread was talking about hearing rumors of two top schools releasing decisions tomorrow... Could one be Pritzker? Maybe. Could this be driving up anxiety needlessly? Definitely.

Someone on the Vanderbilt thread was talking about hearing rumors of two top schools releasing decisions tomorrow... Could one be Pritzker? Maybe. Could this be driving up anxiety needlessly? Definitely.
Not to add fuel to the fire but... decisions came out on Wednesdays the past two years so tomorrow could be the day:rofl:

For those who've been accepted, did you send letters of interest?

I really don't mean for this question to come off wrong - I was accepted a while back with a scholarship, and I'm extremely grateful to have gotten that and loved UChicago when I came to visit for my interview. But I've been hearing/seeing some things lately about how they've slipped in their rankings and are likely to go even lower, how their hospital and residency programs aren't great, and how they're not doing well in funding.

I don't consider myself obsessed with prestige or rankings, but wanted to know if those claims have any validity or if I should keep them in mind as a concern for the future. In terms of residency applications, reputation, etc. I'm not very knowledgeable, so any input from people who can speak to this would be greatly appreciated!

(Also I haven't received my scrub top yet and it's been a few months RIP)

FWIW, their residency director rating from last year had them tied for 16 with the likes of Mayo, Pitt, Baylor, and Emory.