2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it a deal breaker if I haven't taken any Spanish? I had no idea this was a competency, and I don't know how to speak the language. Should I still submit?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Spanish is "highly recommended," not required per DGSOM's website.
Medical School Requirements at DGSOM - David Geffen School of Medicine - Los Angeles, CA

Agreed with @Radiata20. My spanish was nill and they still took me =D. You'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Where do you see yourself post-graduate education? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 characters)"

Confused about this question. Is this trying to ask where we see ourselves after med school?

(Would the answer not be obvious? aka i see myself being a doctor, and everything in my personal statement and all other app info has led me to this goal?)

"Where do you see yourself post-graduate education? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 characters)"

Confused about this question. Is this trying to ask where we see ourselves after med school?

(Would the answer not be obvious? aka i see myself being a doctor, and everything in my personal statement and all other app info has led me to this goal?)
That's how I took it but I had the same question

Answer it however you want, but focus on what you think you are going to be up to after you finish your graduate medical training (i.e., after residency/fellowship if applicable). The question doesn't specify any further, so you can talk about possible specialties, academic vs various types of community, any anticipated non-clinical duties like teaching/research/administration/expert witness/industry, practice setting/urban vs rural, etc.

So... The savypremed website suggests....

PROMPT 5 - WHAT IS THE ONE MOST IMPORTANT HONOR YOU HAVE RECEIVED? WHY DO YOU VIEW THIS AS IMPORTANT?
Everyone is on the Dean’s or Provost’s List, so don’t choose that. But if you have an academic or collegiate award that truly represents your personality or individual qualities, then focus on describing why you’re proud of this specific recognition.

No good awards? Never fear. You can expand the definition of ‘honor’ to include any time you were acknowledged or specifically chosen from a group.

For example, has a professor ever asked you to work with them on research? Did you receive exceptionally high student evaluations as a TA? Has a patient ever requested your presence during your volunteering in hospice or clinics? All of these constitute an ‘honor.’

I was gonna write that being a naturalized US citizen is my greatest honor. It really is because without which most of the other aspects of my life would never have fallen into place. But since it's under "Scholastic Activities" I should use something like Dean's list or some Honor society? Any advise?

TIA

Reactions: 1 user
So... The savypremed website suggests....

PROMPT 5 - WHAT IS THE ONE MOST IMPORTANT HONOR YOU HAVE RECEIVED? WHY DO YOU VIEW THIS AS IMPORTANT?
Everyone is on the Dean’s or Provost’s List, so don’t choose that. But if you have an academic or collegiate award that truly represents your personality or individual qualities, then focus on describing why you’re proud of this specific recognition.

No good awards? Never fear. You can expand the definition of ‘honor’ to include any time you were acknowledged or specifically chosen from a group.

For example, has a professor ever asked you to work with them on research? Did you receive exceptionally high student evaluations as a TA? Has a patient ever requested your presence during your volunteering in hospice or clinics? All of these constitute an ‘honor.’

I was gonna write that being a naturalized US citizen is my greatest honor. It really is because without which most of the other aspects of my life would never have fallen into place. But since it's under "Scholastic Activities" I should use something like Dean's list or some Honor society? Any advise?

TIA
Personally, I don't think naturalization is a good idea.. it's a little cringeworthy. How about involvement in an honor society, doing research, presenting a project during class, getting praised for your service at a volunteering place?

What is it?? Mind posting prompts?

All of the same prompts as MD only including:

Location of Study: Please choose one: UCLA, UCLA/Caltech, Caltech

Specific Areas of Interest at UCLA: (Include names of faculty at UCLA whose work is of interest) (4000 char)

Specific Areas of Interests at Caltech: (Include names of faculty at Caltech whose work is of interest) (4000 char)

And then a thing for each of your research interest and descriptions with 4000 characters

Statement of Purpose (Please discuss your motivation for pursuing an MD PhD): (4000 char)

Personal Comments (Is there anything that you would like for us to considered when reviewing your MSTP application): (4000 char)

All of the same prompts as MD only including:

Location of Study: Please choose one: UCLA, UCLA/Caltech, Caltech

Specific Areas of Interest at UCLA: (Include names of faculty at UCLA whose work is of interest) (4000 char)

Specific Areas of Interests at Caltech: (Include names of faculty at Caltech whose work is of interest) (4000 char)

And then a thing for each of your research interest and descriptions with 4000 characters

Statement of Purpose (Please discuss your motivation for pursuing an MD PhD): (4000 char)

Personal Comments (Is there anything that you would like for us to considered when reviewing your MSTP application): (4000 char)

Jesus, this'll be a rough one. That is so much. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! MS2 checking in! I'll be around to answer any questions you may have throughout this cycle either here or PM. :)

On MSAR it says the latest MCAT they consider is September 1, 2018. I'm planning on retaking my MCAT on September 19th, 2018 however so this poses an issue. Is that date set in stone/rigid, or is there any sort of flexibility on that?

On MSAR it says the latest MCAT they consider is September 1, 2018. I'm planning on retaking my MCAT on September 19th, 2018 however so this poses an issue. Is that date set in stone/rigid, or is there any sort of flexibility on that?
It's likely set in stone. But I would call/email the admissions office just to be sure

How are yall answering the challenge question with only 500 characters? This is my last 1 to do, and i cant seem to finish it.
Write about the challenge of fitting an entire essay into 500 characters

Reactions: 2 users
I am quite confused as do they need transcripts sent to them separately or something? The status page has a section for transcripts o_O

Personally, I don't think naturalization is a good idea.. it's a little cringeworthy. How about involvement in an honor society, doing research, presenting a project during class, getting praised for your service at a volunteering place?

Thank you. I think I'll go with honor society. I plan on submitting tomorrow. I think the essays are as good as they are gonna get. I'm just nervous. UCLA is probably my 1st choice school.

Do you think we can answer "yes" to the competencies if we plan to finish by graduation rather than having them complete now?

I was wondering about that. I'm taking psychology this year.

Hey everyone, do you all think being an EMT is considered an academic activity?

Secondary received just now, 7/31! Verified 7/24, IS. I cry

Last edited:
Does anyone know when they stop sending out secondaries? I was verified early and am starting to get worried...

Does anyone know when they stop sending out secondaries? I was verified early and am starting to get worried...
I think around October 21st! The secondary deadline is November 21st, and in my email invite it said we have "THIRTY days (30) from the date and time of this email, in which to complete your supplemental application." The wording makes it seem like a hard deadline for each batch of secondaries, so yeah, probs around October 21st. You have nothing to worry about!

November 21st is the latest possible submission date (though you only have 30 days from receipt date. I would assume they would stop around November.

Don’t worry too much. I was verified June 29 and just received a secondary this evening.

Verified yesterday (7/30) and secondary received today (7/31)!

Question regarding the secondary: If I took the AP Spanish test in high school, do you think it is fine to check off Spanish on the curriculum portion? I did not get credit at my undergrad institution for the AP test since I did not continue the language in college, but I could always send the score to show I did it.

Last edited:
Verified yesterday (7/30) and secondary received today (7/31)!

Question regarding the secondary: If I took the AP Spanish test in high school, do you think it is fine to check off Spanish on the curriculum portion? I did not get credit at my undergrad institution for the AP test since I did not continue the language in college, but I could always send the score to show I did it.
yes it's just whether you feel you are competent

For the statement of purpose essay(motivation for pursuing an MD-PhD) do you think we could simply copy and paste our primary app essay? I have seen other schools ask this questions where you can just say refer to AMCAS primary if you do not have any changes you wanted to make to it.

For the statement of purpose essay(motivation for pursuing an MD-PhD) do you think we could simply copy and paste our primary app essay? I have seen other schools ask this questions where you can just say refer to AMCAS primary if you do not have any changes you wanted to make to it.
Or how about "See Significant Research Experience Essay/Activities" for the Research Experience boxes? I love UCLA, but I dislike supplementary forms that ask you to write something that has an entire, specific essay devoted to it on the primary application.

Or how about "See Significant Research Experience Essay/Activities" for the Research Experience boxes? I love UCLA, but I dislike supplementary forms that ask you to write something that has an entire, specific essay devoted to it on the primary application.
I also share a love of UCLA;). Honestly, I did not mind the research one because I wanted to add some updates. My motivation for MD-PhD, on the other hand, has stayed exactly the same lol. I just emailed them, I let you know what they say.

anyone who was verified at the beginning of june still with no secondary? starting to think it's over for me now lol

Reactions: 3 users
Got a reply. They said its probably a good idea to put a response down instead of referring to your primary app so you don't look lazy.

Got a reply. They said its probably a good idea to put a response down instead of referring to your primary app so you don't look lazy.
Was this even a question? They ask it because they want you to fill it out. It’s never a good idea to say “look at my primary.”

Was this even a question? They ask it because they want you to fill it out. It’s never a good idea to say “look at my primary.”
In other apps they had something similar but said that if you were satisfied with your AMCAS Why MD-PhD application you could just tell them to refer to that.

For the Scholastic Achievements, does high school level count? I took Spanish all 4 years of high school and my fluency is beyond a 1-year level, but I never took it in college. Can I answer "yes" for the Spanish question?

If I haven't received a secondary yet, should I assume I won't get one? Primary verified 7/10.

Also still waiting on that MSTP secondary, its the only one I haven't received and I submitted pretty early. =/

Wondering if it would be worth it for me to fill out and submit secondary with the time it would take and cost of the application. MCAT 519, 4.0 at small liberal arts university. 300+ shadowing hours, 300+ hospital work hours, pharmacy technician. No research experience. OOS. In student government and president of my fraternity. Do I have a chance?