2018-2019 Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any idea as to when we get our netIDs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Facebook page is up! See y’all there!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been accepted after deferral who interviewed in late November / early December? Trying to figure out if they've gotten back around to our files yet

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been accepted after deferral who interviewed in late November / early December? Trying to figure out if they've gotten back around to our files yet
I think there definitely have been some people who were originally deferred and got accepted. People were posting about this a few weeks ago

I think there definitely have been some people who were originally deferred and got accepted. People were posting about this a few weeks ago

It seemed that most of the posters interviewed early Nov. which is why I considered that they have not yet evaluated all the deferred applicants. Either way, fingers crossed for good news Friday! :nailbiting:

It seems like by this time last year they were sending out the final wave of acceptances.
They're definitely running behind though. Acceptances were reported between 3/5 and 3/15 last year too.

They're definitely running behind though. Acceptances were reported between 3/5 and 3/15 last year too.

Sorry I misworded that statement. I meant to say that they are just about done, meaning while it's definitely still possible to be accepted this Friday or even the next, it's also understandable that a lot of offers have gone out by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I misworded that statement. I meant to say that they are just about done, meaning while it's definitely still possible to be accepted this Friday or even the next, it's also understandable that a lot of offers have gone out by now.
Probably, but then again, someone called a few weeks ago and they said they had a bunch more As to give, and judging from here, very few people reported back. That plus most end of January people not hearing anything at all makes me think there might be a decent number still left. Who knows though.

Probably, but then again, someone called a few weeks ago and they said they had a bunch more As to give, and judging from here, very few people reported back. That plus most end of January people not hearing anything at all makes me think there might be a decent number still left. Who knows though.

I agree, it's not over til it's over! I wasn't trying to be negative and apologize if it came off that way.

They also have a lower yield (around ~30-35% is what I've seen). So they'd need to accept 450-500 to fill their class size even when accounting for their combined undergrad/med school program.

They also have a lower yield (around ~30-35% is what I've seen). So they'd need to accept 450-500 to fill their class size even when accounting for their combined undergrad/med school program.
That is historically true, but unfortunately it can change. Trust me, as a deferred student I hope that it is the new traffic rules or people not withdrawing YET that are causing this anomaly of low acceptances thus far. But I can't rule out that maybe their yield is just higher this year (50%+).

Any recently accepted applicants gone through the financial aid application? Was accepted last week and haven't received CAESAR info yet. Not sure if the CAESAR account is necessary to even complete the application, but there's an excerpt on the website that says we have five days after our acceptance to apply for aid and I'm getting antsy :nailbiting::nailbiting:

Any recently accepted applicants gone through the financial aid application? Was accepted last week and haven't received CAESAR info yet. Not sure if the CAESAR account is necessary to even complete the application, but there's an excerpt on the website that says we have five days after our acceptance to apply for aid and I'm getting antsy :nailbiting::nailbiting:
you don’t need caesar to apply for aid, just to view/accept the aid package once it has been assembled

the online application is pretty lengthy and will require your and your parents tax returns though so I’d start that asap

There’s a fin aid application you have to complete and you need to submit tax info. Admitted Students-Class of 2023: MD Education: Feinberg School of Medicine: Northwestern University

Just a friendly reminder that using a FB group is a terrible way to gauge a school's acceptances and is unnecessarily stressful.

Just a friendly reminder that using a FB group is a terrible way to gauge a school's acceptances and is unnecessarily stressful.
Agreed - lots of current students also join these FB groups so that inflates the numbers quite a bit!

Also I’m sure people have been accepted who don’t have Facebook or don’t use it often enough to join the group so quickly.

At the end of the day you just have to trust the process and be okay with a lack of knowledge. If they want you in the class, they’ll let you know. Worrying about how many people have already been accepted isn’t going to affect any one individual’s outcome.

Hey guys and gals! Does anyone have any insight on housing? I was wondering how exactly the process is going to work and how early we have to secure a lease. Do we just need to have funds available to pay deposits and possible first and last months rent? Or will we have our finaid early enough to pay for these? Also, according to Feinberg's website the max amount of aid that can be allocated to rent is $1200, however rent around the schools is far more expensive than that.... Anyway, just hoping someone has a game plan they're willing to share or has more information about what we need to do.

Thank you in advance <3

Hey guys and gals! Does anyone have any insight on housing? I was wondering how exactly the process is going to work and how early we have to secure a lease. Do we just need to have funds available to pay deposits and possible first and last months rent? Or will we have our finaid early enough to pay for these? Also, according to Feinberg's website the max amount of aid that can be allocated to rent is $1200, however rent around the schools is far more expensive than that.... Anyway, just hoping someone has a game plan they're willing to share or has more information about what we need to do.

Thank you in advance <3

As a current resident in Chicago, I would agree with your statement that $1200 is likely not enough to rent within walking distance of their campus, although it may just be possible if you’re leasing a 3 bedroom apartment and find a good deal, or if you have a SO that makes things cheaper. As far as neighborhoods that are relatively close, I would look at Lincoln Park, Old Town, & maybe Lakeview. You’ll be able to find nice places in those areas that are within the $1200 range and provided you’re very close to a red line stop, could have a commute time of ~20 minutes or so.

With most leases in the city that I’m aware of you only need to pay first months rent + deposit up front. Leases starting in the summer are generally very easy to obtain as there’s a lot of movement during that time. Hope this helps!

As a current resident in Chicago, I would agree with your statement that $1200 is likely not enough to rent within walking distance of their campus, although it may just be possible if you’re leasing a 3 bedroom apartment and find a good deal, or if you have a SO that makes things cheaper. As far as neighborhoods that are relatively close, I would look at Lincoln Park, Old Town, & maybe Lakeview. You’ll be able to find nice places in those areas that are within the $1200 range and provided you’re very close to a red line stop, could have a commute time of ~20 minutes or so.

With most leases in the city that I’m aware of you only need to pay first months rent + deposit up front. Leases starting in the summer are generally very easy to obtain as there’s a lot of movement during that time. Hope this helps!
Thank you very much for the help! :)

Does anyone have info as to whether there will be more decisions today? Or is next week more likely?

Does anyone have info as to whether there will be more decisions today? Or is next week more likely?
According to last year's thread they released some decisions on March 9 - hoping it's another Feinberg Friday here today

I honestly just wanna know what second looks i'm going to at this point. I got flights to pay for bih

Reactions: 3 users
Fienberg plz don't scare me like that

Reactions: 4 users
Does this mean I got in? Because it would be rude to reject me and not take me the listserv, right? ... Right? No? Okay.

Omg, if I get one more prospective student email on a Friday, Imma need a permanent respirator

+1 on that... well, they did say decisions were delayed so I can’t be too surprised. I think the traffic rules might make things take a bit longer at FSM this year

+1 on that... well, they did say decisions were delayed so I can’t be too surprised. I think the traffic rules might make things take a bit longer at FSM this year
What do you mean by traffic rules?

If they were going to waitlist all of us I think they would have already. Hopefully it’s a mix of As and WLs? A guy can dream right

Reactions: 6 users