2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten an acknowledgement after sending in their response to the "highly interested" email? Also just because everyone seems to be asking I sent in an LOIntent over a month ago and got a response the next day from both admissions and Dr. Fischer.

Replied to Dr. Fischer's email several days ago and no acknowledgement yet. Also, uploaded LOIntent into the portal over a month ago and never got a response.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I responded directly to the original email on 1/5 and Dr. Fischer got back to me on 1/8. Hope that helps some people.

Reactions: 3 users
Got the 'highly interested' email last week. Responded a few days later with a Letter of Intent. Got a response from admissions a few days after that. I wonder how many of the ~300 people interviewed got this email. Trying not to read too much into it, but keeping my fingers crossed that it's at least a moderately positive sign.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a response from Dr. Fischer. Sent my response to the highly interested email last Friday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
It’s going to be a looooong wait until February :arghh:

Got a response from Dr. Fischer this morning, sent my LOI about a week ago

Reactions: 1 user
I have been following this thread as an interviewer at another top tier medical school. I am advising some undergrad students who have applied and interviewed at many top schools. Of two who applied and got II at Mayo, one got the email and one did not. I have heard how great the head of admissions is here, but I am frankly a bit put off by the email that was sent. It would be fine for MAYO to tell some top students that they are very interested in them, but to ask the students (even in a subtle way) to give information about how they feel about MAYO just seems wrong.

Of course, this is an effort to yield protect. While I very much understand the reasons why a school (especially one located in Rochester, MN, with its fewer opportunities for partners etc) would want to do this, it just rubs me the wrong way. While we on our med school admissions committee very much would like to know where our desired students want to go, we would never put this kind of pressure on the students. We just take our chances by accepting the students we feel belong at the top, with very little information about how they feel about us. Just my 2 cents here. Same goes for residency matches - some may let top students know how program feels about them, but it is no longer appropriate to suss out how the applicants feel about a given residency program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been following this thread as an interviewer at another top tier medical school. I am advising some undergrad students who have applied and interviewed at many top schools. Of two who applied and got II at Mayo, one got the email and one did not. I have heard how great the head of admissions is here, but I am frankly a bit put off by the email that was sent. It would be fine for MAYO to tell some top students that they are very interested in them, but to ask the students (even in a subtle way) to give information about how they feel about MAYO just seems wrong.

Of course, this is an effort to yield protect. While I very much understand the reasons why a school (especially one located in Rochester, MN, with its fewer opportunities for partners etc) would want to do this, it just rubs me the wrong way. While we on our med school admissions committee very much would like to know where our desired students want to go, we would never put this kind of pressure on the students. We just take our chances by accepting the students we feel belong at the top, with very little information about how they feel about us. Just my 2 cents here. Same goes for residency matches - some may let top students know how program feels about them, but it is no longer appropriate to suss out how the applicants feel about a given residency program.
Probably because no one wants to live in Rochester and they are trying to scoop some good students early on

How is mayo following up post interview any different than a school asking "why this school" on a secondary or an essay? Mayos secondary prompt made it apparent that they were interested in students who genuinely preferred the school over other top schools so I don't see this an being inconsistent. I'm not trying to be antagonistic but I would like to hear your response.

How is mayo following up post interview any different than a school asking "why this school" on a secondary or an essay? Mayos secondary prompt made it apparent that they were interested in students who genuinely preferred the school over other top schools so I don't see this an being inconsistent. I'm not trying to be antagonistic but I would like to hear your response.
There is generally a feeling that the applicants should have the clear advantage in these processes. They should not be hassled in any way - it has always been a hands off approach, at least at our school. It is fine for ADCOMS to let their top-ranked students know that they are at the top, but any inquiries pressuring the students to give feedback to any one school, especially in early January, just seems wrong. (The early Jan email from MAYO suggested that the student give Dean Fischer feedback about how they felt about MAYO within a week.)

This is especially problematic because when he sent the email, many of the top schools (including those with non-rolling admissions who will not be making THEIR decisions for 5-8 wks), were still interviewing. One of my advisees did not feel that they could give much of an answer to MAYO, given that they still had II's scheduled at 4 top tier schools (Yale, Penn, etc).

There is generally a feeling that the applicants should have the clear advantage in these processes. They should not be hassled in any way - it has always been a hands off approach, at least at our school. It is fine for ADCOMS to let their top-ranked students know that they are at the top, but any inquiries pressuring the students to give feedback to any one school, especially in early January, just seems wrong. (The early Jan email from MAYO suggested that the student give Dean Fischer feedback about how they felt about MAYO within a week.)

This is especially problematic because when he sent the email, many of the top schools (including those with non-rolling admissions who will not be making THEIR decisions for 5-8 wks), were still interviewing. One of my advisees did not feel that they could give much of an answer to MAYO, given that they still had II's scheduled at 4 top tier schools (Yale, Penn, etc).

During interview day the admissions staff and faculty make it clear that they also welcome "letters of interest", i.e. if Mayo is still high on the list of schools the applicant is considering. They are not asking for a legally binding document from the applicant that requires them to attend Mayo if they are accepted. Mayo still pulls a large percentage (30-50% IIRC) of their matriculating class from their waitlist, meaning a large fraction granted the initial acceptance ended up turning it down.

In my opinion, they just want to hear from the applicant what it is that still interests them about Mayo. Kind of like a supplemental "why this school". They want more information to work with during the admissions committee meetings.

I'm curious, how much more weight do y'all think the Letter of Intent carry in comparison with the Letter of Interest?

Lmao, I feel like the purpose of this was to tell people not to go to Mayo over another school, rather than give any helpful information, sneaky sneaky! Honestly it's kind of ugly to comment on another school's SDN thread about their process and talk bad about their adcom or their adcom's intentions anonymously. I'm just an applicant, but I'd love to know what "top tier" school you interview for so I know to steer clear.

And to all of my fellow applicants pining over Mayo's decisions. It has been incredibly clear to me throughout the process that the adcom at Mayo takes a lot of time and puts a lot of resources into these decisions. The adcoms have two schools of medicine to fill along with two 2+2 programs. They go through interviewing, through ranking, and then through meetings throughout the month of January to ensure they put the best class(es) together. They also have to worry about students who may choose place/location over quality education/connections/experience, etc. They have to worry about students who would follow the advice of our ~esteemed guest interviewer~ I quoted and be weary of "fewer opportunities for partners" when Mayo is the #1 hospital in the country, is internationally recognized, is an institution in itself, and has the resources available to rotate in nearly any specialty that may interest you.

Whether you did or did not get an email, whether Mayo is your top school or is not, all we can do is tell them our truth (which I feel they respect) and hope for the best! I wouldn't cultivate a negative perception of the adcom or of Mayo because some "interviewer" at another top tier school decides to bash another school anonymously online.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
H
Lmao, I feel like the purpose of this was to tell people not to go to Mayo over another school, rather than give any helpful information, sneaky sneaky! Honestly it's kind of ugly to comment on another school's SDN thread about their process and talk bad about their adcom or their adcom's intentions anonymously. I'm just an applicant, but I'd love to know what "top tier" school you interview for so I know to steer clear.

And to all of my fellow applicants pining over Mayo's decisions. It has been incredibly clear to me throughout the process that the adcom at Mayo takes a lot of time and puts a lot of resources into these decisions. The adcoms have two schools of medicine to fill along with two 2+2 programs. They go through interviewing, through ranking, and then through meetings throughout the month of January to ensure they put the best class(es) together. They also have to worry about students who may choose place/location over quality education/connections/experience, etc. They have to worry about students who would follow the advice of our ~esteemed guest interviewer~ I quoted and be weary of "fewer opportunities for partners" when Mayo is the #1 hospital in the country, is internationally recognized, is an institution in itself, and has the resources available to rotate in nearly any specialty that may interest you.

Whether you did or did not get an email, whether Mayo is your top school or is not, all we can do is tell them our truth (which I feel they respect) and hope for the best! I wouldn't cultivate a negative perception of the adcom or of Mayo because some "interviewer" at another top tier school decides to bash another school anonymously online.

Good luck to everyone!

Good luck to everyone!
I do not mean to be snarky about another ADCOM's way of doing things. I am first and foremost a student advocate in this matter. The student who got the email felt pressured, and given it is early in their interview process, without adequate information to respond honestly, which is why most other top medical schools do not do this. But the student felt that if they honestly replied that they had no idea where MAYO would rank, they were worried that might lead to a R or WL instead of an A. Otherwise, why would Mayo be asking? I am also involved in residency selection and it has been absolutely prohibited for residency Program Directors to ask medical students applying to residency their feelings about a specific residency. One main reason for this policy across residencies is that doing so puts the honest students at a disadvantage - some students (thankfully not the majority) would tell more than one residency that they were the student's top choice.

H

I do not mean to be snarky about another ADCOM's way of doing things. I am first and foremost a student advocate in this matter. The student who got the email felt pressured, and given it is early in their interview process, without adequate information to respond honestly, which is why most other top medical schools do not do this. But the student felt that if they honestly replied that they had no idea where MAYO would rank, they were worried that might lead to a R or WL instead of an A. Otherwise, why would Mayo be asking? I am also involved in residency selection and it has been absolutely prohibited for residency Program Directors to ask medical students applying to residency their feelings about a specific residency. One main reason for this policy across residencies is that doing so puts the honest students at a disadvantage - some students (thankfully not the majority) would tell more than one residency that they were the student's top choice.

I totally get the last sentence of this. I've been struggling with this as I've been advised to tell several programs that they are my top choice and I feel conflicted about this.

Well, there goes my chance of an acceptance for being honest. Oh, well.

Last edited:

I appreciate what you mean about how it could take power away from the applicant but I wish more schools did what Mayo does. I think it's more healthy to keep a dialogue like this about a mutual interest in each other. If anything, it keeps the applicant in the loop about what's going on. They even send you an email when they have ranked you. I think it's definitely better than complete silence before or after an interview that makes you wonder if your application just got lost in the bunch.

In addition, I don't think it puts any undue pressure on applicants. If someone doesn't consider this school a top choice, for which they could send a letter of interest, they either have a lot of top schools clamoring over them or they just really don't want to live in Rochester. Both of those are fine, but why would that person even feel pressure to send a letter then?

Does anyone know when we will hear back for the 2+2 program?

Wow, January is really dragging on waiting for decisions.

Reactions: 10 users
I just consulted my calendar and it turns out that it's the end of January... tic, toc.
shutterstock1830582.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
I have Valentine's day penciled in as the date to obsess over. Still have a little waiting to do!

Reactions: 5 users
I have Valentine's day penciled in as the date to obsess over. Still have a little waiting to do!

This thread is reserved for discussion re: Mayo Med school. What you do in your personal time is not appropriate to be shared here or discussed in an “aspiring professional” setting.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

This thread is reserved for discussion re: Mayo Med school. What you do in your personal time is not appropriate to be shared here or discussed in an “aspiring professional” setting.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Lol.

Does anyone know when in February they’re going to be releasing decisions? Not sure if I should plan my panic attacks for the beginning or end of Feb.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know when in February they’re going to be releasing decisions? Not sure if I should plan my panic attacks for the beginning or end of Feb.

The last two years it was around the second week in feb according to SDN.

The last two years it was around the second week in feb according to SDN.

Yep. Last year it was the 12th, which was a Monday. It's a Tuesday this year. I probably sound a little crazy, but there it is.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it sad that this is the first Valentine's Day of my life I am actually looking forward to?

Reactions: 6 users
It's -21 Fahrenheit with wind chill making it feel like -40 to -60 in Rochester right now and that doesn't make me any less excited about the prospect of going here. Would that make a good love letter or am I coming on too strong?

It's -21 Fahrenheit with wind chill making it feel like -40 to -60 in Rochester right now and that doesn't make me any less excited about the prospect of going here. Would that make a good love letter or am I coming on too strong?
That is exactly the type of commitment it seems they are looking for!

From reading through the AZ thread, someone called the admissions office over there and they said decisions would come out around the middle of next week. They also said at one point they’re planning to release decisions at the same time as the MN campus. So it just confirms that they’re following the same timeline as previous years and we only have another week of waiting!

Reactions: 10 users
On the (almost) eve of the week we’ve been so very anxiously awaiting I just want to say good luck to everyone. I don’t know about everyone else but this decision in particular has been ever-present in my mind and I’m looking forward to just having the enormous weight off my chest. So to everyone who interviewed, whether you got correspondence from your interviewers or not, whether you got a “highly interested” email or not, we are all very much in the running and I wish you godspeed.

Also, regardless of how this all turns out, I know that everyone reading this will be fantastic physicians. If schools like Mayo Clinic are asking to meet you you know you’re doing something right and you have what it takes to be competent and compassionate physicians, regardless of where you go to school.

Now with all that being said, I really hope I get to meet all of you in Rochester this summer!

Reactions: 20 users
On the (almost) eve of the week we’ve been so very anxiously awaiting I just want to say good luck to everyone. I don’t know about everyone else but this decision in particular has been ever-present in my mind and I’m looking forward to just having the enormous weight off my chest. So to everyone who interviewed, whether you got correspondence from your interviewers or not, whether you got a “highly interested” email or not, we are all very much in the running and I wish you godspeed.

Also, regardless of how this all turns out, I know that everyone reading this will be fantastic physicians. If schools like Mayo Clinic are asking to meet you you know you’re doing something right and you have what it takes to be competent and compassionate physicians, regardless of where you go to school.

Now with all that being said, I really hope I get to meet all of you in Rochester this summer!

Hey! Just tried to PM you but I got an error message

What a lovely thing to say--and true. I'm pulling for you too!

this year's thread is so much drier that last year's lol
I think everyone knows not to take the emails too seriously but I still can't help but to feel a little down that I never got one.

Hey! are we sure the decisions come out this week? Has anyone called? I'm going o look through the packet they gave out at interviews to see if there is any info in there.