2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II R, complete mid-Sept, LM 70

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-II R. Submitted the secondary (literally) seconds before the deadline lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R, felt it coming! complete back in July.

Dang managed to avoid the R wave.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was put on pre-ii hold back in early September, and seemed to have missed the R train...as the interview season has gone on I’ve realized more and more that I really think Mayo is one of my top choices so I want to send an interest/update letter, but is it too late? Does anyone know if they are done sending IIs or when the last interview day is?

I'm not entirely certain but their website says "Interview invitations are emailed August through November and conducted from early September through mid-December." (How to Apply)

Yah I saw that too :/ idk why they don't just send us our rejections then! I've been assuming it's an R since I got put on hold but I'd rather just know for sure

Maybe it is better to have not been rejected yet? Who knows if they will want to open up anymore interview slots!

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe it is better to have not been rejected yet? Who knows if they will want to open up anymore interview slots!

FWIW: the last interview date on their signup calendar was this coming Monday when I scheduled my interview in the middle of November.

From the interview day staff: they interview around 300 applicants in Rochester ending mid December (this Monday). They assemble the adcom beginning of January. Offer appointments to around 60 applicants at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb, put approx 150 more on an unranked waitlist (notified Mid Feb), and don’t formally reject those interviewed but not on either of those first two lists until April.

Never say never, but there was no discussion re: additional interviews being offered later than this coming Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
FWIW: the last interview date on their signup calendar was this coming Monday when I scheduled my interview in the middle of November.

From the interview day staff: they interview around 300 applicants in Rochester ending mid December (this Monday). They assemble the adcom beginning of January. Offer appointments to around 60 applicants at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb, put approx 150 more on an unranked waitlist (notified Mid Feb), and don’t formally reject those interviewed but not on either of those first two lists until April.

Never say never, but there was no discussion re: additional interviews being offered later than this coming Monday.

Why not just reject us now then lol?

It's a top 10 program with a small class size, so I'm not overly disappointed either way.

Reactions: 1 user
hello all. I got the 'u got ranked' email.
has anyone gotten anything referring to being 'highly ranked'? just wanna know so I can crush my own excitement at interviewing there before it gets too deep.
also what were other people's interviews like? mine was a cookout bc I got grilled consistently lol

I’m pretty sure they all say the same thing. They discussed it specifically at my interview day. That email is just to let you know the cogs of the machine are turning, and doesn’t say anything about what your ranking is.

As for the interview, mine (both with the M.D. and medical student) were friendly and conversational. “Tell me about yourself” and then the follow up questions flowed from that.

My interview was super conversational and were actually really interesting conversations. Also I asked the ranked/highly ranked question and apparently they did away with the "highly ranked" emails this year and they all say the same thing this year. Sorry to hear that your interviews were a on the tough side, I'm sure you did great!

Just got the R here after a hold earlier. Interviewed at Arizona though. Kinda sad since i feel like i would've liked this campus better.

They sent me 3 emails today telling me I was rejected... Thanks a lot Mayo, the first one wasn't enough :p

Reactions: 5 users
Got rejected from both Arizona, Minnesota and their 2+2 programs today, ngl that one cut pretty deep, really loved their program. Oh well, wasn't meant to be!

Does anyone know where on amp we can submit thank you notes?

since it's almost decision season now (!!!) if we dont hear back by end of feb that means a big fat R, correct? trying to gauge the optimal rate my anxiety should be amping up during the first half of 2019 :D

60 or so acceptances end of Jan/beginning of February (phone calls not emails - they attempt to do all in the same day). 150 or so put on the non-ranked waitlist (Mid February notification). Final rejections for those who interviewed but not on either of the first two lists end of April.

If you don’t hear back by the end of February, it doesn’t mean R. It means you weren’t accepted and aren’t on the waitlist...

Last edited:
Saw in the Mayo-AZ thread that people have been getting emails asking for updates on their interest. Has anyone gotten one from Mayo-MN? Or heard anything recently from the school for that matter?
Nope. I haven't heard anything. I submitted an update/LOI on 12/24 and didn't hear back anything from that either.

I just received a long email from Dr. Fischer basically asking me to let them know my thoughts on attending Mayo Clinic. I have already submitted an update/LOI on 12/24, but I think I'll reply to the email with the same sentiment.

Reactions: 3 users
That's what I'm thinking. I don't want to feel too special haha.

I sent in a letter of interest in mid-December, and Dr. Fischer responded to me the same day. I didn’t get an email just now, though? Wonder if they didn’t send me something because they already directly acknowledged my interest, but I also just might not be highly ranked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent in a letter of interest in mid-December, and Dr. Fischer responded to me the same day. I didn’t get an email just now, though? Wonder if they didn’t send me something because they already directly acknowledged my interest, but I also just might not be highly ranked

They didn't respond to my LOI on 12/24, so you might be on to something!

I just received a long email from Dr. Fischer basically asking me to let them know my thoughts on attending Mayo Clinic. I have already submitted an update/LOI on 12/24, but I think I'll reply to the email with the same sentiment.
+1

I think this is the "highly ranked email" people have talked about including a friend I know at Mayo MN currently. (But apparently some people who received this email got rejected and some who didn't get the email got waitlisted then accepted).

+1

I think this is the "highly ranked email" people have talked about including a friend I know at Mayo MN currently. (But apparently some people who received this email got rejected and some who didn't get the email got waitlisted then accepted).

Did you already send in a letter to them/get a response from them?

+1 received the highly interested email! Haven’t sent in any updates or letters yet, but definitely will this coming week. Interviewed mid Nov.

Did you already send in a letter to them/get a response from them?

I didn't. But expressed strong interest in my thank you letters.

When you say sent in, do you mean e-mailed the admissions inbox or used the admissions portal to upload a PDF?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile