2017-2018 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what a preparatory master's program is? I have an unrelated master's in engineering, not sure if that counts. It wasn't meant to 'prepare' me for medical school.
I would imagine that they are asking about a degree in the health sciences. That being said, I'm sure you could justify the assertion that your engineering degree helped prepare you for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what a preparatory master's program is? I have an unrelated master's in engineering, not sure if that counts. It wasn't meant to 'prepare' me for medical school.

I had the same question, I called them and they said it means programs that are specifically designed to prepare you for medical school. like SMP and stuff.

II Thursday morning! First II! Have any current students taken advantage of the MedStay program? If so, how was your experience? Would you recommend it?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes first rejection! I'm OOS with no ties and no rural stuff so I knew it was kinda waste but saw they accept a lot of OOS so thought I'd try

Literally tho like one week turnaround thats crazy

Reactions: 1 user
Interview invite, Reapp 510 MCAT 3.7 GPA. Lots of shadowing, volunteer, leadership and medical professional work. I am set for Dec 6th interview date but I am going to join the interview waitlist to hopefully get an earlier interview.

Rejected OOS reapplicant. 508 MCAT 3.6 GPA. Over 3000 hours of direct patient care. Good luck to everyone else!

First II!!! So relieved!! Complete 8/16, OOS, 511, 3.7 no state ties nothing on my app about rural health

Reactions: 4 users
First II! Complete 8/16. No state ties, but strong connection to rural health in my home state.

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody have any idea how long our response should be on the interview form they email us?

Would you mind posting the questions? I interview in November so I would like to get a head start before things get crazy in September.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary submitted. Not expecting much as a Canadian but who knows.

Anybody have any idea how long our response should be on the interview form they email us?
I spoke with someone in the admissions office and they said that a couple paragraphs should suffice. Enough to give the committee an idea of where you want your medical education to take you but there's no need to write a book.

Good luck on your interview!

Wait, when do we get this interview form? I don't believe I had to answer any questions when I scheduled mine...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wait, when do we get this interview form? I don't believe I had to answer any questions when I scheduled mine...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The confirmation email said that they'll send one 1-2 weeks prior to your scheduled interview date

I spoke with someone in the admissions office and they said that a couple paragraphs should suffice. Enough to give the committee an idea of where you want your medical education to take you but there's no need to write a book.

I wrote a couple of sentences lolz we'll see how this plays out I suppose

PARAGRAPHS! I was thinking about writing just a couple sentences lol

I didn't write all that much either. I figured one paragraph for interests and one for goals should do it. Besides, explaining your interests/goals is what the interview is all about, right?

A little confused about the interview essay... For career interest, are they asking about what specialty we wanna do? And goals are supposed to be where we wanna practice and how far we wanna climb on the hospital chain? I really don't like brief prompt...

I got II back in 7/26, and never got this "interview essay" you are talking about. When did you get the form and in what form did you receive it?

I got II back in 7/26, and never got this "interview essay" you are talking about. When did you get the form and in what form did you receive it?
It should be sent a week or two before your scheduled interview date.

Anyone know if there's anyway to get my CASPER money back? I am scheduled to take it just for WVU but was already rejected sooo.....

Anyone know if there's anyway to get my CASPER money back? I am scheduled to take it just for WVU but was already rejected sooo.....

"All CASPer Examination fees paid to Altus are non-refundable, and only valid for the then-current application cycle."

Do they accept oos without ties to the state? How important are ties?

"Almost heaven!" is what I should have exclaimed when I received my II last week. Very excited to interview here. OOS, ORM, 512, cGPA 3.24, BCPM 3.86, clinically researching since 2013, staring 30 years old right in the eyes!

Reactions: 5 users
II this morning! OOS (Canadian) cGPA: 3.75 sGPA: 3.85 MCAT: 515 Reasonable clinical experience while completing my MHSc in Clinical Engineering
My secondary was complete on 8/18

I will be interviewing at the Charleston campus. Does anyone have any insight on how this process might differ from the Morgantown interviews?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. This is my first post on SDN, so I'm sorry if any of my formatting is off or if I missed a similar question in an earlier post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know how heavy they screen secondaries? Sending my secondary in by Monday at the latest. How late am I considered?

Does anyone know how heavy they screen secondaries? Sending my secondary in by Monday at the latest. How late am I considered?
Everyone gets secondaries and they heavily screen secondaries.

Just so you know. An Uber from or to the airport is about $125. I know because I had to use one on the way back. RIP my bank account. :(
Omg! Sorry to hear that. I got tickets for the Grey Line so hopefully that goes smoothly

Rejected. OOS with heavy ties to the state. 3.8 UGPA (both science and non) and 510 MCAT (123 in CARS :(). Oh well.

I would still take it for practice. you never know if you will need to apply to med school again next year. its only like 20 dollars. maybe you can see if you can still take the exam and not send the scores to wv.

Rejected last week. Absolutely no ties to WV so not entirely a shock. Best of luck to everyone with II's!

Last edited:
II today. OOS-Florida. 3.73c, 3.57sc. 504 MCAT. Grew up in tri-state KY, OH, and WV area. Quality ECs.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know what the interview format is?
It is two 20-30 minutes interviews. I've read somewhere that it's relatively chilling and relaxed interview. They mostly ask about stuff in your application.