2021-2022 West Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @MEDNERD_18 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 WVU Secondary Essay Questions: (150 words max each)
1. Why did you choose to apply to West Virginia University School of Medicine?

2. The mission statement of our School mentions that we prepare our learners to be "resilient." However, every incoming student is expected to already have some degree of resilience as described in AAMC Pre-Professional Competencies. Please describe how you have demonstrated resilience and adaptability.

3. Describe a time when you worked closely and successfully with another person who had a background different from your own.

4. Students are a crucial part of the medical team, and often students bring innovative ideas to challenging situations. Please provide a creative solution to a major health issue in West Virginia.

5. Every accepted student to the Class of 2026 will bring varied experiences to enhance the learning environment. If accepted, what can you teach your classmates, and in turn, what are you hoping to learn from them?

6. (optional) question on how the pandemic adversely affected your application. Max word count of 100.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would it be worth applying to WVU as an OOS with a 4.0/528? I don’t have any “real” connections to the state, but I do have family less than an hour away just north across the border in PA in an area that’s extremely similar culturally and in basically everything else. My reasons for applying are that I love the area, I love the people, I’d have no problem living and practicing there, and I actually want to be in that area to be closer to family. Do you think I’d have a shot? From what I’ve heard they’re not super OOS friendly so I wanted some opinions.

Reactions: 2 users
Would it be worth applying to WVU as an OOS with a 4.0/528? I don’t have any “real” connections to the state, but I do have family less than an hour away just north across the border in PA in an area that’s extremely similar culturally and in basically everything else. My reasons for applying are that I love the area, I love the people, I’d have no problem living and practicing there, and I actually want to be in that area to be closer to family. Do you think I’d have a shot? From what I’ve heard they’re not super OOS friendly so I wanted some opinions.
Cycle just started at the meme Gods are already out lol

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They aren't super OOS friendly, though, correct? I applied there since I'm from the South but will not pay for the secondary if not.

They aren't super OOS friendly, though, correct? I applied there since I'm from the South but will not pay for the secondary if not.
I've heard they are OOS friendly for neighboring states/regions in particular

Secondary received! (First one of the cycle whoohoo)

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received!
Prompts:

1. Why did you choose to apply to West Virginia University School of Medicine?
2. The mission statement of our School mentions that we prepare our learners to be "resilient." However, every incoming student is expected to already have some degree of resilience as described in AAMC Pre-Professional Competencies. Please describe how you have demonstrated resilience and adaptability.
3. Describe a time when you worked closely and successfully with another person who had a background different from your own.
4. Students are a crucial part of the medical team, and often students bring innovative ideas to challenging situations. Please provide a creative solution to a major health issue in West Virginia.
5. Every accepted student to the Class of 2026 will bring varied experiences to enhance the learning environment. If accepted, what can you teach your classmates, and in turn, what are you hoping to learn from them?
All have a word count max of 150.

There is also an optional question on how the pandemic adversely affected your application. Max word count of 100.

Reactions: 3 users
I've heard they are OOS friendly for neighboring states/regions in particular
I attended an info session with WVU yesterday. Someone asked about OOS applicants who didn't have strong ties to the region. Admissions said that as long as they fit the school's mission, they would be given strong consideration. Overall 50% of matriculants are OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
Can confirm, I interviewed here 2 cycles ago as an international student (Canadian) with 0 ties to the region or rural life.

Secondary received+1! In the email the says don't submit unless you get your mcat score. If I have one score but the retake score has not been released yet, should I submit to meet their two week soft deadline + send an update or just wait for the score or just submit with the old one? Their answer was really ambiguous saying that it depends on you blah blah.

They specify a minimum of three letters of rec on their website, does that mean there is no maximum? or does anyone know if they have a max and what it is?

I am really struggling with this one. Of course I have worked with people of many different backgrounds. The problem is it was effortless. Actually not really an issue. I have worked with be of varying ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientation, etc.. but it has not been challenging or difficult in any way. I just work with everyone and treat them all the same with dignity and respect. So how do you answer this? Any help would be appreciated. Could this include someone with a different personality or work style than me? I don't think that is background though uggh!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really struggling with this one. Of course I have worked with people of many different backgrounds. The problem is it was effortless. Actually not really an issue. I have worked with be of varying ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientation, etc.. but it has not been challenging or difficult in any way. I just work with everyone and treat them all the same with dignity and respect. So how do you answer this? Any help would be appreciated. Could this include someone with a different personality or work style than me? I don't think that is background though uggh!
Hi! I do not think it needs to be something that you struggled with at all! I would just pick a project or something else that you and a group or partner have worked on and describe what you do when you work with people that makes it effortless! Even emphasize those points you made! And personalities are definitely part of background!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I do not think it needs to be something that you struggled with at all! I would just pick a project or something else that you and a group or partner have worked on and describe what you do when you work with people that makes it effortless! Even emphasize those points you made! And personalities are definitely part of background!
Thank you sooo much!!

So as a medical student you are at morgantown and possibly rotate to charleston or eastern? Is that correct? They have 3 campuses.

Re: question 4......Time for me to think about how to solve a major health issue in WV :unsure:

Did anyone receive a notification for being marked 'complete'? The only email I got notified of my secondary submission, but nothing else. The application portal doesnt mention anything either.

II received! IS applicant, can't believe it dawg

Reactions: 4 users
Pre-II Waitlist (Canadian). Is it common for many people to be taken off this waitlist?

Last edited:
Congrats to those who already got a response back! When were y'all complete?

II waitlist. They won't tell you what tier you are in this year unfortunately

• Okay...
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Just submitted. OOS no ties. Just shooting my shot. Good luck everybody!

Did you guys get a complete email or no? I just got an email from helpdesk after submitting my secondary.

Were any rejections sent out? Or does WV just send invites and waitlist emails?

Did you guys get a complete email or no? I just got an email from helpdesk after submitting my secondary.
I received the helpdesk email right after submitting and an email with the subject "Confirmation: Secondary Application has been Received" a few days later. No email that explicitly said I was complete

I received the helpdesk email right after submitting and an email with the subject "Confirmation: Secondary Application has been Received" a few days later. No email that explicitly said I was complete
I've got the helpdesk email but still waiting on the confirmation email. Thanks for sharing.

waitlist interview submitted july 7; 3.6 519; oos orm