2017-2018 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed at the Morgantown campus and have to say I'm blown away. Both my interviewers were very personable/conversational, and the students informative/helpful.I definitely received the impression that it was a close knit class where the faculty wanted everyone to succeed. :) While I don't regret interviewing at Martinsburg last year, I would heavily recommend any non-WVU students to interview at Morgantown. I really feel that you get a better feel for the school as you'll be spending your first two years there.

on a side note for those of you planning on taking the grey line, it took me about 2-2.5 hours (depending on lateness) to travel between pittsburgh international airport and morgantown. just something to keep in mind while booking flights.

Can confirm. On a travel-related note -- don't mess around with the Grey Line. I recommend being pretty punctual, because they waited ~20 seconds (not embellishing) before taking off.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed at the Morgantown campus and have to say I'm blown away. Both my interviewers were very personable/conversational, and the students informative/helpful.I definitely received the impression that it was a close knit class where the faculty wanted everyone to succeed. :) While I don't regret interviewing at Martinsburg last year, I would heavily recommend any non-WVU students to interview at Morgantown. I really feel that you get a better feel for the school as you'll be spending your first two years there.

on a side note for those of you planning on taking the grey line, it took me about 2-2.5 hours (depending on lateness) to travel between pittsburgh international airport and morgantown. just something to keep in mind while booking flights.

Do you think I'm fine if Grey line leaves WVU at 5:40pm and my flight at Pittsburgh is 8pm?

Do you think I'm fine if Grey line leaves WVU at 5:40pm and my flight at Pittsburgh is 8pm?
That doesn't seem like enough time. Even if it took only 2 hours for the bus, you'd still have to go through security and all at the airport.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that will be fine. My trips on the grey line were more like 1.75 hours, and the Pit airport is very easy to get checked in quickly.

Edit: It will be close though even if everything happens perfectly. For example, my Grey Line the morning I left Morgantown was 30 minutes late.

I wouldn't risk it. I had a similar dilemma and sadly booked an uber back to the airport that ended up costing me 125 dollars.

I would not recommend it. Despite how fast PIT security is (<20 min for me), even a brief delay could have you missing your flight. For what its worth, my greyline pickup was 15 min late with the morning pickup being 20 minutes late. Plus it'd be nice not to have to worry about transportation plans on interview.

I would not recommend it. Despite how fast PIT security is (<20 min for me), even a brief delay could have you missing your flight. For what its worth, my greyline pickup was 15 min late with the morning pickup being 20 minutes late. Plus it'd be nice not to have to worry about transportation plans on interview.

Thanks for the input everyone. I found a Greyhound bus leaving WVU at 4:40 and cancelled my Grey line bus. Should be able to make my 8pm flight now.

How many students did you meet with on interview day? Was it a larger group, or just a couple people? What year were they?

I should have been more clear - how many current students did you meet with? Were they in their first, second years??

Oh no, I'm asking about the people you met with who are current students. What year were they?
Ohh. My student host was a second year and I think all 3-4 students who did my tour/lunch were third and fourth years.

(Edited bc I forgot which school thread this was sorry)

Members don't see this ad :)
I should have been more clear - how many current students did you meet with? Were they in their first, second years??
There was a mini rural track presentation with a first year and second year. Then they split us and took us on a tour. My group was lead by a phd1 and a fourth year.

II on 8/17!! (totally forgot to post at the time) also a bit confused because my committee letter took FOREVER to go through and wasn't completed until 9/2. For those who have already attended interviews, was it fairly relaxed? anyone asked questions about current political healthcare questions? (I've seen people make comments about this on other schools forums)

II on 8/17!! (totally forgot to post at the time) also a bit confused because my committee letter took FOREVER to go through and wasn't completed until 9/2. For those who have already attended interviews, was it fairly relaxed? anyone asked questions about current political healthcare questions? (I've seen people make comments about this on other schools forums)
I just interviewed this past week and there were no larger healthcare questions. It was very relaxed, and the discussion centers almost exclusively around your application. Good luck!

Does anyone know the percentage of acceptance after interview?

Congratulations! wish you best of luck in your interview.
My experience was very relaxed, and that was the consensus between other interviewees as well. They ask questions based on your application, they literally had my application in front of them! No questions about the current political healthcare, however, I touched a little bit about it in my interview, which I think left a good impact.

This year, it was the most relaxed interview I've had so far. Though I did get some political healthcare questions last year.
It greatly varies depending on whether you are instate or out of state. Based of the MSAR, about half of IS interviewees and a tenth of OOS interviewees matriculate. They didnt tell us the post interview yield though its safe to say its fairly low if you arent from west virginia.

This year, it was the most relaxed interview I've had so far. Though I did get some political healthcare questions last year.

It greatly varies depending on whether you are instate or out of state. Based of the MSAR, about half of IS interviewees and a tenth of OOS interviewees matriculate. They didnt tell us the post interview yield though its safe to say its fairly low if you arent from west virginia.

Darn okay. I'm oos but from VA

It seems as though many schools accept about double their entering class size (I'm basing this off of looking into other schools that post the number accepted as well as matriculated). So for a class size of 112, I'd say that they likely admitted around 250 of the 821 interviewees.
Darn okay. I'm oos but from VA
I wouldn't get discouraged over the 50% IS vs 10% OOS matriculation rates too much. Yes those are the matriculation numbers, but you also have to think about other reasons this could be other than a huge difference in acceptances favoring IS. For example, an IS is more likely to matriculate if accepted due to IS tuition where as an OOS such as yourself who is also accepted to Virginia Commonwealth or UVA is more likely to matriculate at those other schools.

Interviewed today. The campus and the students were great, and the interview was very relaxed! There was two interviews about 20 minutes in duration by two adcom committee members each. They asked primarily about my application and why I chose to apply to WVU. Nothing to be nervous about! I know that's easier said than done though! My advice is to prepare to explain any aspect of your primary and secondary and answer the question of why WVU well by choosing aspects of the program that are important to you!

Additionally, I took the grey line bus from PIT and it was 15 minutes late and took exactly 2.5 hours.

Good luck to everyone with future interviews!

Last edited:
I realized during my interview I didn't get a lot of questions about why West Virginia or that wasn't an emphasized question? Is that uncommon?

I realized during my interview I didn't get a lot of questions about why West Virginia or that wasn't an emphasized question? Is that uncommon?
It probably differs for everyone! Depending on how much time they spend talking about you and your application, they may not ask that question. I'm sure it's fine!

It probably differs for everyone! Depending on how much time they spend talking about you and your application, they may not ask that question. I'm sure it's fine!
Agh I hope so! Thanks!

Anyone know the typical turnaround time from secondary submission to hearing about whether you’re getting an interview?

for those who had interviews, did they ask if you are interested in rural medicine.

for those who had interviews, did they ask if you are interested in rural medicine.
last year yes, this year no. though if you are interested in rural medicine, definitely look into rural track and the martinsburg campus.

Anyone try taking the megabus from Pittsburgh airport to Morgantown? It's only $5 which is a lot cheaper than the Grey Line

Anyone try taking the megabus from Pittsburgh airport to Morgantown? It's only $5 which is a lot cheaper than the Grey Line

Nvm! The megabus bus stop is ~20 miles from the airport

Current student at WVU Med. Note to those interviewing, especially those from out of state, please don’t tell your interviewers that it’s been your dream to work in rural med unless it’s genuine. They can smell BS a mile away. I just attended an admissions meeting and it was noted as a cringeworthy moment when someone says that when clearly it’s not true. Also, primary care isn’t preferred. Just truly be honest about why and what field.

Reactions: 2 users
A friend of mine wants to apply but isn't sure if he's competitive because he's taken the MCAT 3x with only the third time being around their median. Does anyone know what WVU thinks of multiple MCAT takes? Thanks!

A friend of mine wants to apply but isn't sure if he's competitive because he's taken the MCAT 3x with only the third time being around their median. Does anyone know what WVU thinks of multiple MCAT takes? Thanks!

I took the MCAT 3x with my 3rd score jumping up 10 points to 511. Just received an II today, so I'd say they do not look into it too much, at least if the scores continue improving.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got that thicc R from WVU. 511/3.7

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear!! Best of luck with the rest of your schools!

II this morning! OOS (Canadian) cGPA: 3.75 sGPA: 3.85 MCAT: 515 Reasonable clinical experience while completing my MHSc in Clinical Engineering
My secondary was complete on 8/18

I will be interviewing at the Charleston campus. Does anyone have any insight on how this process might differ from the Morgantown interviews?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. This is my first post on SDN, so I'm sorry if any of my formatting is off or if I missed a similar question in an earlier post.
Received an II too. Interviewing at Charleston is an option. Can you please provide any pointers if you have already interviewed there?

Would anyone be able to share their experience in the MD/MPH program or know how the process works? I haven't been able to find any information on their website.

It kills me to know they've made a decision on my app by now but can't tell me until oct 16. ugh I really liked this school ALOT too even tho i have no ties to WV

Reactions: 1 users