2017-2018 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Would love to get some attention from this school as an OOS applicant. Let's see how this cycle goes

Members don't see this ad :)
In-state WV resident (LizzyM 66) hoping to get in here.

Hopefully an MD resident can get some love!

I know some people from people from MD who got their MD here. Apparently lots from MD and PA peeps in each class. Western MD is favored I've heard. Plus eastern campus would be close to home if you're in the DC/Baltimore area.

Reactions: 1 users
Another OOS applicant chiming in! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone submit primary yet? Good luck to you all

Did anyone submit primary yet? Good luck to you all

Yes, but nobody will receive a secondary until Friday at the earliest (more likely to be next Wednesday or later due to the holiday).

Secondary received! First one of the MD schools!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a future physician, it is important that you are able to communicate in an accurate and concise manner. Please answer 4 out of the 5 essays below. Each answer must be 150 words or less.

1. Why have you chosen to apply to WVU SOM? What opportunities do you foresee yourself taking advantage of during your time here?

2. Describe the community in which you spent the majority of your early development. What core values did you receive there and how will these translate into the contributions that you will make in medical school and beyond?

3. What has been your most humbling experience, and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?

4. Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. How do you see advocacy linked to your role as a physician?

5. Describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician.

@gyngyn

Last edited:
The 150 word count is killing me. I want to write more! (Never have I ever spewed that out of my mouth before)

Reactions: 1 users
Should I even fill out this secondary? I'm a CA res with 0 ties to WV

Reactions: 1 user
Just received secondary! Out-of-state. Same prompt as last year. Debating if I should send in my secondary or not. One of the few schools that I didn't pre-write secondaries for...

Secondary last night, I second everything above. ^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Briefly tell us why you have applied to West Virginia University School of Medicine; and explain a unique characteristic that you possess that would make you a great fit for our School and set you apart from other applicants.
Please provide brief answers to your choice of four of the questions below:

Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself.
Describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how it will affect your career as a future physician.
Describe a negative encounter that you have witnessed with a physician, and how would you have handled the situation differently if you were the physician.
Name a character from a literary or cinematic work that you relate to, and tell us why.
Name a medical professional (living or dead) who you would like to meet. Tell us why this individual is specifically important to you.
Describe the community in which you were nurtured or spent the majority of your early development with respect to its demographics. What core values did you learn?

Thats ridiculous, I just finished doing them and now they changed...
Yeah I'm assuming a technical issue, accidentally posting last year's questions. Annoying because now I have to rewrite a couple, but I guess this is trivial relative to our future challenges as physicians

You think we should still use the 150 word limit?

Well this is lame, I spent last night writing up my responses (this was the first secondary I received) and they're now changed....that's pretty frustrating. Back to the drawing board :eek:!

Wait what???? I submitted last night though..... Can I go back and edit lol

@DecisionTime2017 Ok Everyone that submitted last night. I have just talked to the admissions committee and they told me that even if some of our prompts disappeared, they are still in the system. There was a glitch last night. The admissions committee let me know that they will consider last years prompts for us. If they change their minds, they will let us edit them in the future but right now they will consider last years prompts for us.

@DecisionTime2017 Ok Everyone that submitted last night. I have just talked to the admissions committee and they told me that even if some of our prompts disappeared, they are still in the system. There was a glitch last night. The admissions committee let me know that they will consider last years prompts for us. If they change their minds, they will let us edit them in the future but right now they will consider last years prompts for us.

Makes me wish I didn't want to sleep on my answers to re read in the morning before submission.

Woops - thanks for posting the update for everyone

Thank you @bengirlxD

I just got back the following email as well:

"Thank you for your interest in West Virginia University School of Medicine!

We apologize for any confusion that this glitch in our application has caused.

Your submission is still valid. You will not need to go back and address the updated questions. Your application will be reviewed as submitted.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any further questions."

Above every question it still says "Maximum word count should be 150 words."

An hour ago it didn't have the word limit. Seems like they're still changing things.

Name a character from a literary or cinematic work that you relate to, and tell us why.

I just had to take a moment here to say how much I absolutely love this question. Such a nice break from the monotony of other secondary apps.

Reactions: 3 users
I just had to take a moment here to say how much I absolutely love this question. Such a nice break from the monotony of other secondary apps.

RIGHT?! I had such a fun time answering this question and got to relate myself to a character from mine & my father's favorite movie. It was so refreshing to have a question that really leaves some wiggle room for fun.

RIGHT?! I had such a fun time answering this question and got to relate myself to a character from mine & my father's favorite movie. It was so refreshing to have a question that really leaves some wiggle room for fun.

Agreed. But maybe more trouble than fun for me because I can't narrow it down to one haha

An hour ago it didn't have the word limit. Seems like they're still changing things.
Keep us posted pretty please. Just submitted my primary so I'm counting on y'all so I can pre-write.

Last edited:
I can't decide if I want to apply here or not. I currently live in NY and am not sure if Morgantown will the right place for me... Would love any suggestions/advice/thoughts! :)

Are they looking for a serious literary character for this one, because I wanted to talk about someone from an anime book or from one of my favorite cartoon shows. Lol. :shy:

Mine is 150% not a serious literary character.. at the end of the day you have to stay true to yourself! (I hope...lol)

Are they looking for a serious literary character for this one, because I wanted to talk about someone from an anime book or from one of my favorite cartoon shows. Lol. :shy:
I'm stuck between a sit com character and a comic book super hero :rolleyes:

Mine is 150% not a serious literary character.. at the end of the day you have to stay true to yourself! (I hope...lol)

Just be honest and reflective. That's what is important homie