2017-2018 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First reject :(

Members don't see this ad.

@bengirlxD looks like I'll have to catch you at a different interview.

First official rejection, best of luck y'all, YOU GOT THIS

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected as well. Sent secondary in July 4.

That was a waste of a CASPer test fee. I just took it on Sunday so they wouldn't have received it yet.

Canadian and GPA of ~3.68, MCAT 514.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. Does anyone who was rejected mind sharing their basic stats and if IS or OOS? I'm waiting to hear back and I'm OOS. Thank you!

Did you guys find out via email? I'm still waiting to get a post-secondary response, although it might be another couple days because I submitted my secondary less than a week ago. Also, keep your heads up! It's a long cycle, there are still so many great schools out there :highfive:

Submitted on the 5th or so and currently haven't heard anything/****ting my pants. WVU isn't afraid to drop the axe early on dang

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So many rejections all at once... I am sorry guys. Too bad they won't get to see how great y'all are!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
*Red Wedding is mentioned*
Me: Curls up in ball on bed

Reactions: 2 users
It's like the red wedding all over again
*Red Wedding is mentioned*
Me: Curls up in ball on bed

Side note, my friend is watching the Red Wedding tonight. Everyone has been hyping it up for him, so I've been telling him "oh they're being dramatic it's not that bad." A man is not ready for this episode

Reactions: 1 user
Side note, my friend is watching the Red Wedding tonight. Everyone has been hyping it up for him, so I've been telling him "oh they're being dramatic it's not that bad." A man is not ready for this episode

I was so SHOOK watching that episode! I stared at the wall for a good minute after it ended.

I submitted 7/2, but was "received" 7/5...haven't heard anything yet. Feeling anxious

I submitted 7/3 but was also confirmed on 7/5. Is it possible that those of us who said that we were taking the CASPer will have our applications "stallled" if they want to see our scores?

I submitted 7/3 but was also confirmed on 7/5. Is it possible that those of us who said that we were taking the CASPer will have our applications "stallled" if they want to see our scores?

Possibly but I can't imagine it being the case since this is the first year they're adding CASPer as a requirement right? To those who have already heard back, did any of you take CASPer?

Possibly but I can't imagine it being the case since this is the first year they're adding CASPer as a requirement right? To those who have already heard back, did any of you take CASPer?

They don't wait for your Casper to give out II.

Last edited:
Yeah they probably wait for neither Casper nor LORs. Rejected today. Canadian.
Median MCAT, above average GPA, and above average ECs.

For those of you who were rejected, you will succeed later in the long, grueling process!!!

Question though, did your experiences/future goals align with WVU's mission to practice in rural or underserved areas?

Rejected... OOS.
For those of you who were rejected, you will succeed later in the long, grueling process!!!

Question though, did your experiences/future goals align with WVU's mission to practice in rural or underserved areas?

haha thanks for the encouragement.

My experiences and goals certainly align with underserved communities, but so far I've worked in urban underserved areas. I don't think I was a particularly good match for their programs because of this... although I mentioned family from rural areas.

For those of you that were rejected, did you have/note any connections to WV? I'm getting the feeling that if your scores are within their range and you establish some sort of connection to the state that they'll grant an interview.

I am a non-trad with (per WVU) above average GPA, slightly below average MCAT, nearly 6 years of continuous clinical experience with direct patient interaction, am currently a clinical research coordinator at top medical program, and my father-in-law was a grad of WVU undergrad and SOM and my husband's family all lives in WV where my father-in-law practiced medicine.

No dice on II. I thought I had a good shot, but may be overestimating my competitiveness. At the end of the day, it's also a numbers game--having good stats isn't good enough, you need to be the right "fit" and it's a buyer's market. I am trying not to get down about it as most people hope for 1 acceptance out of 20 applications, so we will have to go through lots of rejection in this process!

But to answer your question, I don't think it's that simple. It's like playing a game and not knowing what the rules are. Yes, meeting the cutoffs will get you a chance, but interviews come down to the personal agendas and experiences of the adcoms and who they think will be a good fit for their specific institution.

Thanks for your thorough response. Hoping for my 2nd II here since it seems like these guys are really cranking through, but the rejections comment is spot on. Med schools really know how to make you feel like crap!

Hey guys! I'm kinda new to SDN, but regarding the question:

"Describe the community in which you spent the majority of your early development. What core values did you receive there and how will these translate into the contributions that you will make in medical school and beyond?"

do you think I could talk about what I learned from my family life and household? I'm not really sure I have much to say about my community itself but have some interesting lessons I learned at home

Briefly tell us why you have applied to West Virginia University School of Medicine; and explain a unique characteristic that you possess that would make you a great fit for our School and set you apart from other applicants.
Please provide brief answers to your choice of four of the questions below:

Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself.
Describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how it will affect your career as a future physician.
Describe a negative encounter that you have witnessed with a physician, and how would you have handled the situation differently if you were the physician.
Name a character from a literary or cinematic work that you relate to, and tell us why.
Name a medical professional (living or dead) who you would like to meet. Tell us why this individual is specifically important to you.
Describe the community in which you were nurtured or spent the majority of your early development with respect to its demographics. What core values did you learn?
"Briefly tell us why you have applied to West Virginia University School of Medicine; and explain a unique characteristic that you possess that would make you a great fit for our School and set you apart from other applicants."
^is this a separate 150 word essay?

"Briefly tell us why you have applied to West Virginia University School of Medicine; and explain a unique characteristic that you possess that would make you a great fit for our School and set you apart from other applicants."
^is this a separate 150 word essay?

Yeah, I just looked at the secondary again and it seems like they changed it from when they first posted it. So we should have a total of 5 essays at the end of it all.

Hi everyone!

I'm a NY resident and I have 515 MCAT from retaking a 498 and a 3.9 GPA.

I haven't heard anything from WVU and I was wondering if this means am I going to be rejected?

Hi everyone!

I'm a NY resident and I have 515 MCAT from retaking a 498 and a 3.9 GPA.

I haven't heard anything from WVU and I was wondering if this means am I going to be rejected?

From what I've gathered WVU seems to focus more on how students fit with their mission rather than stats. No response is better than a rejection email!

II this morning!!! Still in shock.

Reactions: 8 users
From what I've gathered WVU seems to focus more on how students fit with their mission rather than stats. No response is better than a rejection email!

I actually got a secondary invite hours after posting this lol, thanks for replying though :)

Got an II earlier today! so excited! Complete 7/5, OOS

II just now! Submitted 7/3 OOS no CASPer. Guess they liked me enough last year (still waitlisted) to invite me again :D

Just got my 2nd II today! Scheduled for Sept. 7! OOS (Connecticut) with minor ties/service to WV. Submitted 7/5, Complete 7/7

Twiddling my thumbs over here lol :arghh: refreshing my emails like a crazy person

Reactions: 1 users