2017-2018 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the OOS screen still at a 508 MCAT?
There is no screen that high for WVU. Their median is a 507 so there's no way they'd screen out their median. Their IS screen is probably around 500 and their OOS screen is probably closer to 504. I've heard from people who know admissions people that 3.5+ and 504+ yields an IS interview.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not gotten a secondary yet :unsure:. Complete way back in June. OOS. >507 MCAT. Ties to state.

Secondary received June 29th. OOS. Stats:
LizzyM 62.80
uGPA 3.3
gGPA 3.9
MCAT 30
non-trad, work XP, multiple publications

Yeah I'm assuming a technical issue, accidentally posting last year's questions.
Unbelievable.

@DecisionTime2017 Ok Everyone that submitted last night. I have just talked to the admissions committee and they told me that even if some of our prompts disappeared, they are still in the system. There was a glitch last night. The admissions committee let me know that they will consider last years prompts for us. If they change their minds, they will let us edit them in the future but right now they will consider last years prompts for us.
Thanks for the update. I've sent them an email as well. I'm surprised they will consider last years prompts for us. Good news I hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you indicate ties to the state? As in my wife's parents live in Morgantown. Is that considered ties to the state, though I've never lived there?

How do you indicate ties to the state? As in my wife's parents live in Morgantown. Is that considered ties to the state, though I've never lived there?

I'd include it. My husband was born in WV, but hadn't been back in 20 years. I never even drove through the state until I interviewed here. (I was from a very flat area of the country and my first time driving here was surprised that if you're not driving up a hill, you're driving down a hill.)

Are you all doing Casper test for WVU?

Might be a dumb question, but I had never heard of this testing before. Looks like it is optional this year, but I can't tell if they will still use it in decision making for those who do it
I had never heard of it either. I took the CASPer and had the results sent to WVU because I already had to take the test for two other schools, and I figured if I am graded well then it might help me here as well.

What are your thoughts on registering for CASPer test as an OOS Student? This is the only school I'm applying to with it (although it is 'optional'), so I would rather not take it....

What are your thoughts on registering for CASPer test as an OOS Student? This is the only school I'm applying to with it (although it is 'optional'), so I would rather not take it....
If you don't want to take it and this is your only school then I'm sure you'll be fine. My philosophy was that since it's recommended, I was going to take it to try and get every inch I can. Basically if any school says "jump," my response is going to be "how high?"

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't want to take it and this is your only school then I'm sure you'll be fine. My philosophy was that since it's recommended, I was going to take it to try and get every inch I can. Basically if any school says "jump," my response is going to be "how high?"

I like that mindset. Thank you. I will register today. Do you know if after you register (you pick which schools you want to send to when you register) but after the fact can you send your score/report to more schools? (In case another one I applied to recommends it)

I like that mindset. Thank you. I will register today. Do you know if after you register (you pick which schools you want to send to when you register) but after the fact can you send your score/report to more schools? (In case another one I applied to recommends it)
Yes you are able to send it to more schools after you take the test, thankfully!

I received a secondary, but I am out of state and don't have any ties to this school. Any suggestions for OOS students like me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a secondary. I am international and don't have any ties, although I have strong passion for their program (rural-track). Should i bother filling the secondary?

I received a secondary. I am international and don't have any ties, although I have strong passion for their program (rural-track). Should i bother filling the secondary?

I know of several medical students who were international students and interviewed at WVU. I know of at least one who became a student.

Reactions: 1 users
I received a secondary, but I am out of state and don't have any ties to this school. Any suggestions for OOS students like me?

I'm not a student here, but given that WVU only sends their secondary to select applicants, it's worth a shot!

9:39 AM PST: "Thank you for submitting your secondary application to the West Virginia University School of Medicine! Your application will be reviewed within the next 2 weeks to determine if you will progress to the interview. You should expect a decision within 2 - 3 weeks. If you are offered an interview, this will be communicated via e-mail."

12:17 PM PST: "Your AMCAS materials and secondary application materials have been received and reviewed by members of the Committee on Admissions for West Virginia University School of Medicine. We regret that we cannot proceed with further consideration of your application for the class entering in 2018. This in no way implies that you are unsuited for a career in medicine, rather, it is an acknowledgement of certain constraints and realities in the admissions process at our medical school which has received several thousands of applications from very highly qualified applicants."

Game over. Rejected before interview.

9:39 AM PST: "Thank you for submitting your secondary application to the West Virginia University School of Medicine! Your application will be reviewed within the next 2 weeks to determine if you will progress to the interview. You should expect a decision within 2 - 3 weeks. If you are offered an interview, this will be communicated via e-mail."

12:17 PM PST: "Your AMCAS materials and secondary application materials have been received and reviewed by members of the Committee on Admissions for West Virginia University School of Medicine. We regret that we cannot proceed with further consideration of your application for the class entering in 2018. This in no way implies that you are unsuited for a career in medicine, rather, it is an acknowledgement of certain constraints and realities in the admissions process at our medical school which has received several thousands of applications from very highly qualified applicants."

Geez they got back to you fast. I'm sure you'll have luck elsewhere, keep your head up..cycle just started.

Secondary received.
Last year there were 4400ish OOS verified applicants and of those 739 were interviewed--16%.
Good luck to everyone

Aw I'm sorry to hear that, but it is still really early in the cycle! Did you submit your secondary today?

Secondary received.
Last year there were 4400ish OOS verified applicants and of those 739 were interviewed--16%.
Good luck to everyone

Out of those 4400, I wonder how many were sent secondaries? I don't think anyone can answer this, but I'm curious.

That is a crazy fast turnaround! I'm sorry you got rejected, though.

II earlier today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so stoked you guys!!!!!!

Reactions: 8 users

Wow, this must be one of the earliest MD interview invites given out this cycle. Congrats!

Are you IS?

Edit: JK couldn't see the signature on mobile -- congrats!

Last edited:
I am still waiting on 2 of 5 LORs. Both are from docs, not professors. Do you think they would ever invite someone before those are submitted, or will they absolutely wait until all letters are present? I also received the email that said I'd receive an interview decision within 2-3 weeks.

I got an II with no LORs in yet

Honestly so happy for you. We've applied to a LOT of the same schools (evidenced by our constant posting on the same threads) and I can absolutely tell you've fought for this. Good work, I'll hopefully be joining you soon ;)

So WVU does screen lightly before sending out secondaries? Just submitted mine

Honestly so happy for you. We've applied to a LOT of the same schools (evidenced by our constant posting on the same threads) and I can absolutely tell you've fought for this. Good work, I'll hopefully be joining you soon ;)

Thanks so much! Hope to see you during those interviews!

I am still waiting on my 2nd science professor to submit my letter, but already have 4 other letters submitted. Should I wait until he submits his letter before sending in my secondary? Or do they not even look at LOR to screen for interviews? It seems that way since some of you got II without LOR but thought maybe my 2nd science prof would boost my app...

I am still waiting on my 2nd science professor to submit my letter, but already have 4 other letters submitted. Should I wait until he submits his letter before sending in my secondary? Or do they not even look at LOR to screen for interviews? It seems that way since some of you got II without LOR but thought maybe my 2nd science prof would boost my app...

I applied last year and received secondary before sending any LOR. I am not sure about this year since I have not received the secondary yet. Primary submitted June 28

I applied last year and received secondary before sending any LOR. I am not sure about this year since I have not received the secondary yet. Primary submitted June 28

No LORs needed this year either

I already have my secondary. I am referring to LOR before sending in my secondary? Or does it not matter which comes first

Does not matter either. The faster you have your secondary in the faster they can review your app

Try to submit as early as possible! The turnaround was so quick for this school it was like a roller coaster. Suspense, submission, emails, crying.... This was probably for applicants those first two days though. I had no idea whether to say yes or no to the CASPER test query because of work, but acting like it hit my spam did not prevent a II. I might do it at some point in the future if I have time. Hope y'all start hearing back soon as well, best wishes!

Try to submit as early as possible! The turnaround was so quick for this school it was like a roller coaster. Suspense, submission, emails, crying.... This was probably for applicants those first two days though. I had no idea whether to say yes or no to the CASPER test query because of work, but acting like it hit my spam did not prevent a II. I might do it at some point in the future if I have time. Hope y'all start hearing back soon as well, best wishes!

Congrats!! Jc, when were you complete?

Congrats!! Jc, when were you complete?
I finished the app on June 30. I'm an OOS applicant without ties to WV aside from living in Appalachia, so I was surprised at the time frame of their responses.

Hey WVU, I'd like a II...please? :cool:

Hey West Virginia, I completed the Casper exam... II maybe? :angelic:

I took the Casper test yesterday, but WVU does say it's optional. I have no idea how well I did on Casper; scared that sending the results would be more of a negative than a positive.

Secondary received 6/29/17 and submitted 7/9/17. Hopefully their about a week turn around time continues on these.

How long do they usually take to send interview offers? OOS and international applicant here and just worrying if I have a chance at all