2017-2018 Wake Forest University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to prewrite these a little early based on last year's questions. When an application says "pick at least two", is it better to go with just two or do as many as I can comfortably do?

Reactions: 3 users
Can you get to Wake Forest Medical School on public transportation from Raleigh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you get to Wake Forest Medical School on public transportation from Raleigh?
No. Even flying to Greensboro you'd likely need to rent a car to drive (only like 20 miles). We don't really have buses that travel super far around the state.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm trying to prewrite these a little early based on last year's questions. When an application says "pick at least two", is it better to go with just two or do as many as I can comfortably do?

I believe it was a mistake after reading the earlier threads it was expected for all of them to be written

I am thinking of applying to this school once I get my MCAT score, but I have heard that there is an extensive pre-secondary screening. May I ask how extensive is the screening process? Minimum MCAT/GPA? Thanks

I am thinking of applying to this school once I get my MCAT score, but I have heard that there is an extensive pre-secondary screening. May I ask how extensive is the screening process? Minimum MCAT/GPA? Thanks

I believe they no longer pre-screen. From their website: "Once applications are received from AMCAS, all applicants will receive a secondary application." Link: Admissions Process - MD Program

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have one yet, either. I wonder if they've gone back to pre-screening for secondaries and that is causing a delay.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm not complaining. It gives me a chance to breathe and get caught up a little when schools are slow!

Reactions: 1 users
Nope. It just takes time when you have >4000 applications and counting.

Shouldnt it be electronic? I dont see the logistical problem behind sending back secondaries instantaneously like Michigan.

Shouldnt it be electronic? I dont see the logistical problem behind sending back secondaries instantaneously like Michigan.
Have you seen some of the systems they're using for secondaries? As a software developer, I know some of these things were made in the early 2000s or earlier and have barely been touched since.

Have you seen some of the systems they're using for secondaries? As a software developer, I know some of these things were made in the early 2000s or earlier and have barely been touched since.

If only they were at a university full of computer scientists :whistle:

If only they were at a university full of computer scientists :whistle:
Having worked with compsci majors who were still in undergrad, this is probably where they got their systems in the first place :)

Having worked with compsci majors who were still in undergrad, this is probably where they got their systems in the first place :)

True. Don't use the undergrads then

Correct! We will be upgrading next year. Also, even the most up to date system can have problems. Just ask CMU or MIT.

Did a tour of the medical school today. It's absolutely beautiful. So excited about the possibility of and hopeful to get an interview!!

Please note: Secondaries will be sent out in batches. The first (very small batch) will go out today. More will will be going out next week. PLEASE do not e-mail or call during the next few weeks if you don't receive one.

Everyone is getting a secondary this year. It is up to your best judgement if you should send it back.
If you call or e-mail saying "My GPA is X, my MCAT is Y, I went to college Z, and I have done A, B, and C... Should I send in my secondary?" The answer will be "That's up to you. Please refer to our class profile."

Everyone is getting a secondary this year. It is up to your best judgement if you should send it back.
I hear you on that. More competition for $125 doesn't sound too pleasing to the ears.

I hear you on that. More competition for $125 doesn't sound too pleasing to the ears.
I hope the people that don't really stand a chance will not send them back. You would be amazed at some of the MCATs and GPAs I see. Some people apply with rockbottom metrics thinking they can get in on the strength of their experience section or life story. Albert Schweitzer reincarnated would still have to pass the USMLE. We might go back to a screen next year when we have our new software.

Last edited:
I hope the people that don't really stand a chance will not send them back. You would be amazed at some of the MCATs and GPAs I see. Some people apply with rockbottom metrics thinking they can get in on the strength of their experience section or life story. Albert Schweitzer reincarnated would skill have to pass the USMLE. We might go back to a screen next year when we have our new software.

I have seen the class profile but would you mind sharing what cut-offs, no matter other EC's, that would not stand a chance?

@Pathdocmd Hi! Is it possible if you could let us know whether the prompt is the same from last year? Wake forest is one of my top picks because I work in the area and I am dying to get some brain storming going for the questions.

@Pathdocmd

The website mentions that they accept 2 letters of recommendation. MSAR says 2-6. Are we then allowed to submit more than the 2 required letters or does Wake Forest not really want us to?

Essays??

Same essays as last year, note that the first four are all required now (this is a change from last year)
Required Essay Questions:

1. The Committee on Admissions values diversity as an important factor in the educational mission of the Wake Forest School of Medicine. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and to the medical community in general? (400 words or less).
2. What obstacles or challenges have you experienced and how have you dealt with them (400 words or less)?
3. How has creativity helped you in your studies, work, activities, volunteering, or life in general? (400 words or less)
4. Starting with the 2016-17 application cycle, the Wake Forest School of Medicine has gone from course requirements to recommendations. How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine. (400 words or less)

OPTIONAL ESSAYS

1. If you have already received your bachelor’s degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation and your plans for the upcoming year (200 words or less).
2. If you have previously applied to Wake Forest School of Medicine MD program, please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements from your previous application (200 words or less).
3. Describe any connection you have to Wake Forest School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, or North Carolina (200 words or less).

I'm still waiting on mine!