2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just something i recently learned EST is Eastern Standard Time. It is active in the fall and winter. Right now its called 3-5 EDT (Eastern Daylight Time].
This is lowkey the most interesting thing I've learned on this website. West coast here, and apparently we have PDT in addition to PST! Thanks :claps:

Reactions: 1 users
You guys think it would be weird to talk about sports as my passion specifically basketball? just play intramural stuff

You guys think it would be weird to talk about sports as my passion specifically basketball? just play intramural stuff
I don't think so. I think a lot of people are passionate about sports/music/art and that those are normal passions that speak to who someone is in many ways.

Reactions: 1 user
Would people recommend writing about research or a sport for the passion essay question? My diversity essay is already going to be about sports, I know Umich really values research. I enjoy research and have a ton of research experience (no pubs though).
If one of your essays is about sports, and you have not talked much about your research, then I'd suggest writing about your research experience! as long as you are passionate about research, it should work perfectly :)

Would people recommend writing about research or a sport for the passion essay question? My diversity essay is already going to be about sports, I know Umich really values research. I enjoy research and have a ton of research experience (no pubs though).

I wrote about a sport. I don't think it matters. I think the most important thing is that you are actually passionate about whatever you write about.

Last edited:
haha 2 out of my 3 most meaningful activities were about research and some of my ps was too.
Maybe id go with sports then! But really it is all about whichever you are most passionate about - it will be a better essay because the reader will easily pick up on the passion through your writing, and that is what matters most :)

You all know what day it is ;). May the odds be ever in your favor.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea of where in the queue they are? I'm sure the line gets shuffled around a bit based on MCAT/GPA/OOS/IS? For instance, does it seem like they are offering invites to people who submitted around the 2nd week of July, etc.

Does anyone have any idea of where in the queue they are? I'm sure the line gets shuffled around a bit based on MCAT/GPA/OOS/IS? For instance, does it seem like they are offering invites to people who submitted around the 2nd week of July, etc.
It kind of seems like they are offering mainly to OOS first, and kind of in order of MCAT scores and how early you submitted your secondary. But that's just my observation.

It kind of seems like they are offering mainly to OOS first, and kind of in order of MCAT scores and how early you submitted your secondary. But that's just my observation.

RIP interview invite monday then. I'm OOS, stats are median for Michigan, and submitted secondary in late July. I'm guessing if I get an II, it won't be coming for a while.

RIP interview invite monday then. I'm OOS, stats are median for Michigan, and submitted secondary in late July. I'm guessing if I get an II, it won't be coming for a while.
You have great stats!! Keep your head up :) who knows if they even looked at late July applications yet - stay positive

Stats being median mean you DO have a chance. Not that you don't

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How much of a disadvantage am I at if I'm just submitting secondary now and OOS? LizzyM 68-75 (two MCAT's lol). Really love this school, but primary got delayed.

Last edited:
When should OOS students begin to worry about no interviews, and when do IS students begin to worry?

No interview love this week, IS

When should OOS students begin to worry about no interviews, and when do IS students begin to worry?

No interview love this week, IS
I looked through last year's thread and it seemed like IS students only really started getting interviews at the end of like October. At that point, OOS interviews seemed to decline.

To those with II: how are you doing on these tertiary Qs? I'm stuck on the fun fact..

Why do they send out II's in such painfully small batches....

Why do they send out II's in such painfully small batches....

I mean think about it...they offer only about 500 interviews and they're already playing the game of offering interviews on "Michigan Mondays". If they kept inviting 48 students every Monday (like they were before) then they'll fill up very quick. I think they also want to see what kind of applications roll around as the cycle continues. They've already invited like around a 120ish? I think

I mean think about it...they offer only about 500 interviews and they're already playing the game of offering interviews on "Michigan Mondays". If they kept inviting 48 students every Monday (like they were before) then they'll fill up very quick. I think they also want to see what kind of applications roll around as the cycle continues. They've already invited like around a 120ish? I think

From the five-year average they have posted on the admissions website, it seems they interview ~570 a year. Of those, around 160 were in-state. So far their application tracker says 125 interviews have been scheduled, but it seems like going by historical trends as well as current reports, very few of those are in-state. So let's say 10 of the 125 scheduled so far are IS. So 125+160-10 = 275 interviews left if you're OOS. That's 275/410 = 67%. So about 1/3 of OOS interviews have been given out so far.

This math is probably not reliable at all, last year they only interviewed 527 people. I'm just a little bored so I'm messing around.

Reactions: 11 users
For people with II or current students: when does Mich send info on the address to go to on interview day / student hosts?

For people with II or current students: when does Mich send info on the address to go to on interview day / student hosts?

You'll get an email with a form to fill out 3 weeks before your interview!

Who else is ready to be disappointed today? #UMichMedMonday

Reactions: 7 users
Who else is ready to be disappointed today? #UMichMedMonday

I LOVE this game. It's like knowing your significant other may break up with you but showing up to the restaurant anyway.

Every. Time.

Reactions: 10 users

II today!!! CAN'T BELIEVE IT! My first Interview Invite. And like 7:20am in the morning central time. Best alarm ever. I got out of bed like a bullet towards my computer to schedule the interview. I chose Friday Sept. 29th, the other option was next Friday like Oct. 6th

No info about hosts or pre-interview (haha tertiary essays) so far.

Other info because someone would probably ask :)
OOS
Received secondary 02:10 PM, July 10, 2017 (PST)
Submitted 06:22 PM, July 12, 2017 (PST)
I prewrote, so that helped for the quick turn around, and Lizzy score is on lower end (mid high 60s)

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
II this morning! One of my absolute dream schools!:)
My research/lab experience is minimal, so this felt like a reach for me.
OOS, LM ~76, Complete 7/21

Reactions: 5 users
My first II! 7:26 am CST
Nontrad LizzyM 71 with great ECs
Secondary received 7/20, submitted 7/30

Anyone know the interview to offer numbers?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
If I submitted my secondary on 8/3 OOS am I behind the curve?

edit: LM of 76

If I submitted my secondary on 8/3 OOS am I behind the curve?

edit: LM of 76

Someone earlier on this thread said OOS interviews didn't start declining until around October last year, so I would think you'll be fine :)

Knowing that UMich only sends out interview invites on Mondays is a blessing and a curse lol

This is great, thanks for sharing. I'm curious -- where did you get this data? Thanks!
This kind of data is available from US News and World Report with a paid subscription.