2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whoever has interviewed, do you know when the interview day actually ends ? Trying to schedule a meet up with a friend who is only available around 3-4pm.
Of course , if i really need to be there till 5pm or whatever , totally fine with me . Let me know and Thanks !

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoever has interviewed, do you know when the interview day actually ends ? Trying to schedule a meet up with a friend who is only available around 3-4pm.
Of course , if i really need to be there till 5pm or whatever , totally fine with me . Let me know and Thanks !
Found answer !

Your 24 Hours in Blue

Reactions: 1 users
Since I don't have twitter, next Wednesday, someone please ask the question every instate applicant wants to know lol

Reactions: 1 user
To those of you who interviewed yesterday: how was your experience? Any tips on getting around Ann Arbor/ U Mich? Thanks

Reactions: 2 users
I have a feeling that today is going to be a big one, given that no II's were sent out on labor day!

May the odds be in our favor

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 11.30.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 11.30.04 AM.png
    342.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
26 were sent out last Tuesday, but they are still approximately 91 interview invites behind where they were last year. So here is to hoping for a lot of interviews and some in-state love!
where do you get this interview info from?

Members don't see this ad :)
No love from Michigan again...haha At least with the way they do interview invites, I won't be refreshing my email looking for an email from them for the rest of the week (although I will likely be doing that for my other schools anyway)

No love from Michigan again...haha At least with the way they do interview invites, I won't be refreshing my email looking for an email from them for the rest of the week (although I will likely be doing that for my other schools anyway)

They haven't sent any out yet today!

They haven't sent any out yet today!
...I guess I will be refreshing my email for a little bit longer :laugh: Thank you! I thought they usually send them out pretty early in the morning, so I just assumed I did not receive one.

They're taking a while to send the tweet confirming the number of IIs today, aren't they?

"#UMichMedMonday offers went out today to applicants from 13 states, 22 undergrads."...yeah, I'm starting to doubt my chances at this school now...

Starting to think that never getting a shot at this dream school is the price I pay for my sins

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Has anyone gone back through old Michigan threads and found any sort of trend as to when in state applicants start to get IIs? I tried but there were so many pages to go through :( it would just be nice to know if there are going to be dozens more Mondays of disappointment

Has anyone gone back through old Michigan threads and found any sort of trend as to when in state applicants start to get IIs? I tried but there were so many pages to go through :( it would just be nice to know if there are going to be dozens more Mondays of disappointment
I think October was the time when i started seeing in-state people get interviews. Im not 100% sure, but that is what i think i remember from an old thread

From someone I know on admissions: Michigan is interviewing less candidates this year than in previous years. They have adapted to a high number of post-acceptance deferrals in the last several years. Makes sense why we are seeing less interviews compared to this time last year.

From someone I know on admissions: Michigan is interviewing less candidates this year than in previous years. They have adapted to a high number of post-acceptance deferrals in the last several years. Makes sense why we are seeing less interviews compared to this time last year.
So 10 people deffered according to MSAR, is 10 more than usual and thus they are offering fewer interviews?

Can you explain this a bit more? More accepted candidates are deferring their start to med school -- so wouldn't they want to interview more to fill in their slots for the present cycle? Sorry I'm not following haha

EDIT: Nevermind, I understand whatcha mean now hahah...less spots to fill this cycle because of previous deferrals

Can you explain this a bit more? More accepted candidates are deferring their start to med school -- so wouldn't they want to interview more to fill in their slots for the present cycle? Sorry I'm not following haha

Could mean that students who deferred last year are taking this year's spots.

However - if they have to use 10 spots this year for deferred students - that doesn't amount to many more than 15 interview spots based on their ~70% post-interview acceptance rate. Using that logic they would need to be accommodating 35 deferred students this year to reduce the interview invitations by 10%. 35 is high, and not to discount the statement of the reported admission's statement, but I wouldn't think there be that large of an effect on II's given UMich's high acceptance rate.

Yeah, I don't really think that's enough to justify 100 fewer IIs, so I'm sure a good number more are still coming :)

Wowza, I didn't realize UMich had a ~70% post interview acceptance rate. Is this pretty high compared to other schools? From some numbers I crunched from MSAR data, it seems like most schools have a ~30-35% post interview acceptance rate.

Could mean that students who deferred last year are taking this year's spots.

However - if they have to use 10 spots this year for deferred students - that doesn't amount to many more than 15 interview spots based on their ~70% post-interview acceptance rate. Using that logic they would need to be accommodating 35 deferred students this year to reduce the interview invitations by 10%. 35 is high, and not to discount the statement of the reported admission's statement, but I wouldn't think there be that large of an effect on II's given UMich's high acceptance rate.
Also, 10 defferals is for the 2016 class. MSAR data is not for the 2017 class that just started. So it's possible more deferred than 10 for 2017.

Seems like a great question to ask tomorrow

I suppose deferral was the wrong word to choose. I was told more for post-interview people who were accepted by Michigan but decided to attend somewhere else, i.e. michigan interviewed too many, or too many exceptional candidates who also for example were accepted to Ivy schools etc. Hope this clears up what I meant and I only heard this from one person I know, there are many hundreds of people involved in the admissions process.

I suppose deferral was the wrong word to choose. I was told more for post-interview people who were accepted by Michigan but decided to attend somewhere else, i.e. michigan interviewed too many, or too many exceptional candidates who also for example were accepted to Ivy schools etc. Hope this clears up what I meant and I only heard this from one person I know, there are many hundreds of people involved in the admissions process.

Shouldn't that mean they interview more people? If all their highly qualified applicants go somewhere else, interview more qualified candidates.

Last edited:
Shouldn't that mean they interview more people? If all they're highly qualified applicants go somewhere else, interview more qualified candidates.
I definitely understand your point, but again I can only say what I heard today from just one member of the team.. From what I have heard somehow admissions has decided to interview less candidates this year. Maybe they are taking more time in the interview screen to find candidates that will most likely attend if accepted. There are still many many interviews to be sent out, IS hasn't even begun yet.. but I do think that the word around the medical school is less IIs will be sent this year, which explains the 100 II discrepancy from this time last year.

This cycle started 1-2 weeks later than normal. Its possible you guys are just looking at Michigan 2 weeks ahead of where they typically are.

So 10 people deffered according to MSAR, is 10 more than usual and thus they are offering fewer interviews?

Also, 10 defferals is for the 2016 class. MSAR data is not for the 2017 class that just started. So it's possible more deferred than 10 for 2017.

I'm an M1 at Michigan. Admissions over-enrolled our class so they offered scholarships for people to defer to next year's incoming class. Fifteen people took the deferral scholarship, and more deferred w/o scholarship. Not sure on the exact number, but I would have to estimate that we had at least 20 deferrals.

Reactions: 3 users
Got an email and immediately thought it might be an II....turns out they were just promoting their Q&A. :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
RIP. 20+ fewer spots this year plus they already have more applications than all of last cycle.

Got an email and immediately thought it might be an II....turns out they were just promoting their Q&A. :laugh:
Same!!!! Literally made me jump out of bed then immediately almost fainted from the headrush haha

I'm curious how this decrease in IIs will affect this year's post-interview acceptance rate. With less interviewees, the PI acceptance rate might be higher than in previous years. But with less spots, due to deferred admissions, it might be lower. Lastly, the middle ground scenario, it might be the same as previous years due to proportionate decreases in IIs and acceptances. Thoughts? I'm really hoping the PI acceptance rate stays >70%.

Is Umich receptive to in-area emails? I am OOS and will be traveling to Michigan adn would rather just know upfront rather than coming twice....

Also, do they do only Friday interviews or are there Saturday interview options as well ?

All depends how they want to handle the situation. Their yield (matriculate vs applicants) is increasing and creating the current deferral situation. This is the root cause and the only variable UMich doesn't control (the decision of an accepted student lies with applicant only)

I don't know what weight schools put on their post interview acceptance rate. So who knows, maybe they'll give the same number of IIs and just accept less.

I'm curious how this decrease in IIs will affect this year's post-interview acceptance rate. With less interviewees, the PI acceptance rate might be higher than in previous years. But with less spots, due to deferred admissions, it might be lower. Lastly, the middle ground scenario, it might be the same as previous years due to proportionate decreases in IIs and acceptances. Thoughts? I'm really hoping the PI acceptance rate stays >70%.

I don't know what weight schools put on their post interview acceptance rate. So who knows, maybe they'll give the same number of IIs and just accept less.

Based on the difference in the # of IIs given at this time this year vs last year, it doesn't look like that will be the case. With fewer spots available this year, the # of acceptances will naturally be less than previous years. And it looks like they're trying to manage this situation at the level of the II. This leads me to believe that they are trying to keep the PI acceptance rate fairly similar to previous years.