2017-2018 University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many from 1-12 have heard back?

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering the same thing about 1/19 interviews.

It seems like that date got glossed over. Seeing people who interviewed after my date getting accepted is discouraging. Seems like people who haven't heard back by now are either pending a rejection/waitlist :(

However, it's never over until it's over! It could just be a (very) long waiting game!

has anyone been accepted here after people from their interview dates heard back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students mind telling us a little about second look day? Trying to decide if it's worth the trip to go/plan things out accordingly.
It will be helpful if you need to mingle with current and prospective students further to decide if the culture of the school is right for you. Otherwise if you already know you love or dont love that, it's ok to miss.

Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my acceptance here a few days ago. As much as I love the school and the state, I knew I probably wouldn’t choose to matriculate. I hope one of you gets my spot!

Does anyone know when we should find out about scholarships that we applied for?

Reactions: 3 users
So I was applied MSTP, and was rejected about two weeks ago without an interview. I did get in contact with the Admissions Office, and they sent me an email saying my application was now transferred to the MD only consideration. However, I'm pretty skeptical with how late in the application cycle it is. Sucks because this was my top choice, but I can't imagine them asking me to interview (I'm fairly certain someone here stated all their interview dates are past)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when we should find out about scholarships that we applied for?
I emailed financial aid and they said that the first round of scholarships would be announced around April 1st. They also said that financial aid packages should go out in mid April

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED VIA PHONE TODAY SCREEEEAAAMING

DREAM SCHOOL

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed financial aid and they said that the first round of scholarships would be announced around April 1st. They also said that financial aid packages should go out in mid April
Thank you for getting this info!

Hi Guys. I was wondering if anyone who was accepted yesterday received the mail confirming their acceptance yet...

Interviewed 1/26 and I’m still waiting :( . Should I assume I’m waitlisted or rejected since they have already sent out some February acceptances?

Rejected preII
Should have known because was in silence

Hi Guys. I was wondering if anyone who was accepted yesterday received the mail confirming their acceptance yet...

When I was accepted, I got the call on a Tuesday and received the email the following Monday.

Just wondering if anyone can confirm that the background check request came from the email ID: StudentEdition@certiphi. Thanks a bunch folks!

Just wondering if anyone can confirm that the background check request came from the email ID: StudentEdition@certiphi. Thanks a bunch folks!
Yes, the email I received was from them.

Can any current students (3rd or 4th years) talk about the 4 weeks of dedicated Step study time? I feel like that's a pretty short amount of time, and I'd like to know if the students feel like it was detrimental to their scores.

Thanks!

Can any current students (3rd or 4th years) talk about the 4 weeks of dedicated Step study time? I feel like that's a pretty short amount of time, and I'd like to know if the students feel like it was detrimental to their scores.

Thanks!
I am a first year so I cannot talk about how students feel about the amount of time/lack of time, but I can tell you that CU scores higher than the national average on Step 1.

No, I'm not aware of any medical schools that grade on a curve.

Also, does anyone know the attire for second look day?

I actually heard that from a current med student that goes here. Since they are changing their curriculum to pass/fail, they are using a curve system for grading. I didn't know that other medical schools didnt grade on a curve. :)

Thanks!
Isn’t how much time they have dependent on when students choose to schedule step?

I second the question about attire for second look day. Don't want to end up going in sweats if it's business professional.
No, I'm not aware of any medical schools that grade on a curve.

Also, does anyone know the attire for second look day?

Oh wait what? So they are using a curve system now or they are changing to one? And I had the understanding that the grading system they have in place right now is Honors/Pass/Fail, with in class ranking. The system they are changing to (to my understanding) is Pass/Fail with no in class ranking for the first two years.

FWIW, the updated MSAR shows that Phase I/II is now P/F. Also, not sure if pasting this is against ToS since I'm assuming it can be found on their admissions site (although not as succinctly). If it is against ToS, I'll delete the screenshot.

upload_2018-3-22_11-37-23.png

Thanks!
I'm a current 4th year. There are a handful of students who felt that they needed additional time to study. The vast majority of us got it done in the given time, and, as was mentioned previously, still scored well above the national mean.

Step 1 study period is a very stressful time, outpaced perhaps only by the weeks prior to match day. Consider that, whether you have 4 weeks or 12 weeks, it will be just as much stress on you and you will never get rid of that creeping thought in the back of your mind that "I can still do better." Thankfully, there have been studies done on outcomes of various medical schools who have longer and shorter dedicated study periods, of which the results show that there is no statistical benefit to a study period > 4wks.

Also, yes, we rocked the match this year ;)

If we're already %100 committed to CU is there any other benefit to attending second look day?

If we're already %100 committed to CU is there any other benefit to attending second look day?

I'm just going to meet some new classmates since idk many people from the front range. Also to get the scoop on the grading system and ideas on where to live.

I'm just going to meet some new classmates since idk many people from the front range. Also to get the scoop on the grading system and ideas on where to live.
Same here - I'm from Colorado and am committed to CU but want to start getting to know people.

Has anyone gotten off of the alternate list yet? Or is there just a lot of movement in early May?

I got the call on Thursday that I received a scholarship. I am not sure if they are completely finished picking scholarship recipients, but the news is on its way.

I got the call on Thursday that I received a scholarship. I am not sure if they are completely finished picking scholarship recipients, but the news is on its way.
Is this one of the scholarships you can apply for or a different scholarship?

It was one of the ones that Colorado offered through its website, Justina Ford.
The deadline to apply for it was February 15th.
Do you mind telling us a bit about your qualifications for the justina ford scholarship. I’m considering applying but I’m not sure if I’m entirely qualified.

Edit: never mind. Just realized the scholarships released in the second round ate totally different

I'm a current 4th year. There are a handful of students who felt that they needed additional time to study. The vast majority of us got it done in the given time, and, as was mentioned previously, still scored well above the national mean.

Step 1 study period is a very stressful time, outpaced perhaps only by the weeks prior to match day. Consider that, whether you have 4 weeks or 12 weeks, it will be just as much stress on you and you will never get rid of that creeping thought in the back of your mind that "I can still do better." Thankfully, there have been studies done on outcomes of various medical schools who have longer and shorter dedicated study periods, of which the results show that there is no statistical benefit to a study period > 4wks.

Also, yes, we rocked the match this year ;)

Hey, so I am from the East Coast and don't know about many of the places where the students matched to because I have a limited regional exposure. Could you elaborate more on what you mean by rocking the match? Like are you referring to the fact that you had many students accepted to some competitive specialties like anesthesiology? Or is it the caliber of the programs? I ask because one of my concerns is that I may want to match back to the East Coast (big maybe) and I wonder if going to CU will make that more difficult than attending a school in the East. I know there is selection bias among the students themselves, which makes it hard to really learn anything from looking at match lists.

Hey, so I am from the East Coast and don't know about many of the places where the students matched to because I have a limited regional exposure. Could you elaborate more on what you mean by rocking the match? Like are you referring to the fact that you had many students accepted to some competitive specialties like anesthesiology? Or is it the caliber of the programs? I ask because one of my concerns is that I may want to match back to the East Coast (big maybe) and I wonder if going to CU will make that more difficult than attending a school in the East. I know there is selection bias among the students themselves, which makes it hard to really learn anything from looking at match lists.
I’d like to know as well! I didn’t see a lot of students matching into common top programs within specialties such as MGH, Brigham, Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, and other east coast ivys, which was a little concerning. But it could also just be selection bias like you said. I’m from the west coast and want to match back here! (Of course it’d be great to match into a top program and specialty on top of that)

Last edited: