2017-2018 University of California - Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone! I will post my MCAT/GPA/Dates when secondary was received and submitted/Interview date/ and hopefully ACCEPTANCE!!!

I can tell you that the school is amazing, and everyone is very nice there. I did not go to UCR, but I lived in IE. They are looking for people that want to stay in IE... You must know their mission, and if you do not fit that mission I don't think they will accept you. There is a myth that you have to be a family physician if you go to UCR, but you don't. They are looking for people that want to serve in IE and interested family medicine, internal medicine, general pediatrics, general surgery, psychiatry, and/or general obstetrics and gynecology.
Interview day was awesome!! it was very relaxing, and they really took care of us. The food/snacks/accommodations were great. Also the medical students that we got to meet were MS1, and they seemed very happy to be a part of the school.
Here are some numbers that Dr. Schiller, Senior Associate Dean, Student Affairs, said that they will send out acceptance about 44% of the people that they interview. So if you get an interview you have good odds to get into the school. (I have not heard back yet, so I am still nervous tho). I think I also heard him say that if you get an interview, they you are a part of the 4% that they choose (264 interviewees). They have 11 interview dates, and each day has an A/B groups. Each group is made up of 12 people, and they will accept about 3 from each group...... The total number of the class of 2021 will be 70 (so it will be bigger than class of 2020.)

OK, good luck to everyone, and I hope that I will meet some of you while attending UCRSM! Again I will post my numbers once I get an acceptance :)

wow thanks for all that info, I am crossing my fingers for an interview here! I didnt specify that I want to stay in the IE in my 2ndary, but I stated that I want to work with the underserved community, wherever that may take me. im hoping that doesnt hurt my app too much.
good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad.

wow thanks for all that info, I am crossing my fingers for an interview here! I didnt specify that I want to stay in the IE in my 2ndary, but I stated that I want to work with the underserved community, wherever that may take me. im hoping that doesnt hurt my app too much.
good luck to you!
You're welcome :)
I didn't mention that I want to work in the IE either, but I talked about experiences of community service in an underserved areas.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete here on 7/26... are they done sending IIs to earlier applicants?

Secondary received 8/1
Submitted 8/5
Silence since then...

I inquired about my application status with the office of admissions since I have only had silence (complete 7/13) and they said I am on "hold" and my application has been fully reviewed, although there is no change in my status on the portal. Just thought I'd give some peace of mind to everyone else who has been waiting for months as well

Reactions: 1 users
I inquired about my application status with the office of admissions since I have only had silence (complete 7/13) and they said I am on "hold" and my application has been fully reviewed, although there is no change in my status on the portal. Just thought I'd give some peace of mind to everyone else who has been waiting for months as well

I emailed the admissions dept and an admissions staff member, but neither responded to my email. Glad to know someone got a reply. I'll keep waiting, but I wish I had some sort of update. I am very interested in their program.

Makes sense. I figure a lot of people are actually on hold at the places they've been complete at for months with silence. The schools just have not gotten around to updating us yet.

Just received an email today notifying me that I would not be receiving a secondary. For context, my primary was submitted 2 June.

The only other UC I still haven't heard from is UCSD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I.....I just got a secondary here! My AMCAS application was complete in mid-July. LizzyM ~70. IS. SoCal native.

Last edited:
not that I was expecting anything, but I did get the rejection email, never received a secondary. Submitted primary first week of August. Wife's parents live in riverside, where she grew up. Glad they let me know though, I was just expecting a silent rejection.

ACCEPTED!!!! Thank God!!
I hope you all hear back, and get into the school that is right for you!!
Primary submitted on June.
Secondary submitted on Jul 29.
Interview invite Sep 13.
Interviewed on Oct 14.
Acceptance Yesterday!!!

Reactions: 10 users
I interviewed mid October and it seems people from my date and after have been accepted (and a huge congrats to those people too!). My question is if i was not included in those acceptances, does that mean essentially I’m out? That i probably don’t have a great shot? Thanks for any feedback!

I interviewed mid October and it seems people from my date and after have been accepted (and a huge congrats to those people too!). My question is if i was not included in those acceptances, does that mean essentially I’m out? That i probably don’t have a great shot? Thanks for any feedback!

I interviewed in September so I'm nervous too. Dr. Schiller mentioned they don't reject anyone outright, but that they review all on hold applicants throughout the interviewing season. Keeping fingers crossed!

Remember that there are 264 interviewees and UCR will give acceptance to more than just 70 (the # of the 2018 class). I calculated it once, and if you got an interview that means you have a little more than 40% chance that you will get in!! Do not lose hope yet, there is a lot of time left!! Good Luck!!

Hi everyone! I was complete mid-August. I called admissions and they have not reviewed my application yet. So if you also were complete mid-August, silence may not mean anything positive or negative.

ACCEPTED!!!! Thank God!!
I hope you all hear back, and get into the school that is right for you!!
Primary submitted on June.
Secondary submitted on Jul 29.
Interview invite Sep 13.
Interviewed on Oct 14.
Acceptance Yesterday!!!
Congrats!! Were you in group A or B during the 10/14 interview? If you don't mind me asking

I was told that comparing to other UCs, UCR has a strong favor in SoCal inland applicants who are intended to serve that community. Is this true? I am a North-CA applicant, and wondering if it's worth it to apply to UCR. Maybe those of you who received II can give some tips on this.

P.S. I was rejected pre-secondary last time.

I was told that comparing to other UCs, UCR has a strong favor in SoCal inland applicants who are intended to serve that community. Is this true? I am a North-CA applicant, and wondering if it's worth it to apply to UCR. Maybe those of you who received II can give some tips on this.

P.S. I was rejected pre-secondary last time.
UCR does favor applicants from the SoCal IE region, mainly because they typically have backgrounds/experiences that fit their mission of working with underserved populations. But, as it is with most other Med schools, UCR also likes to have diversity in their class, and I do know for a fact that there are many NorCal students currently at the UCR SOM, you just have to have concrete experiences that align with the schools mission and illustrate that in the secondary app. If you feel that you do, I would say it's definitely worth it!

UCR does favor applicants from the SoCal IE region, mainly because they typically have backgrounds/experiences that fit their mission of working with underserved populations. But, as it is with most other Med schools, UCR also likes to have diversity in their class, and I do know for a fact that there are many NorCal students currently at the UCR SOM, you just have to have concrete experiences that align with the schools mission and illustrate that in the secondary app. If you feel that you do, I would say it's definitely worth it!

Thank you! I have some experiences that aligns with the school's mission, but probably didn't stand out in writing in the primary app. But I will learn that lesson and put some emphasis next time!

Do you know the pre-secondary screening process for UCR? Is it a number screen or a holistic screen?

Thank you! I have some experiences that aligns with the school's mission, but probably didn't stand out in writing in the primary app. But I will learn that lesson and put some emphasis next time!

Do you know the pre-secondary screening process for UCR? Is it a number screen or a holistic screen?
From what I've heard from Dean Schiller, I believe it is a number screen. He also says it's very generous (low minimums). But I could be wrong.

I would say that it is a combination of both stats and activities. From what I have seen, UCR seems to focus on the activities you do and how well they relate to their mission. I personally know quite a few people who did not receive a secondary, despite having high stats and living in CA. That being said, I don't think someone with a 2.5 GPA would be too successful even with said activities.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong as well. Hope everything works out for you!

It just means you weren't first pick in the draft. You definitely still have a chance, but just be aware that it's lower now that you know the first wave of acceptances has gone out for your interview slot. Sit tight, you may be in for a long ride - but it also may pay off big time in the end so don't give up hope.

All applications are read by a minimum of 1-2 reviewers. All applications. UCR is very holistic in its admission process.

Regarding your previous pre-secondary rejection: you may want to seriously consider whether you're truly a good fit for this school (and you simply didn't convey that well on your primary), or if you're just grasping at straws. UCR is extremely mission-oriented. Just want to make sure you're aware. Also, being from NorCal does not exclude you from being considered. Just want to throw that out there since I see some misinformation tossed about on this thread from time to time. Being from OOS pretty much does, however.

All applications are read by a minimum of 1-2 reviewers. All applications. UCR is very holistic in its admission process.

Regarding your previous pre-secondary rejection: you may want to seriously consider whether you're truly a good fit for this school (and you simply didn't convey that well on your primary), or if you're just grasping at straws. UCR is extremely mission-oriented. Just want to make sure you're aware. Also, being from NorCal does not exclude you from being considered. Just want to throw that out there since I see some misinformation tossed about on this thread from time to time. Being from OOS pretty much does, however.

Thanks for your info! I now see the importance of demonstrating the "fit" of UCR mission in my primary. How did successful applicants showed such in the primary? It seemed to me that primary is to get the general sense of the applicant, while most people tailor their fit in secondary app? I am having trouble finding the balance doing so, since I am targeting on schools with a variety of mission emphasis (e.g. teaching, research)

Any updates from Haider applicants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe plenty of us have interviewed already, not sure how many have been accepted so far.
None except those through EAP. Haider adcom meeting isn't until december.

MCAT: 518
cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.8

Exact stat as yours!

To current medical students - could you guys answer these questions?
1. What your MS1 and MS2 schedules are like?
2. How often are exams? Are the exams based on Step 1 questions?
3. I really am drawn to UCR's small class size - have you seen very involved and sincere mentorship/help by professors, doctors, and admins toward students?
4. Where are you guys going for your clinical rotations? (Kaiser Permanente, Riverside Community Hospital. etc.)
5. Where has your class/group of friends struggled the most? Is it during MS1 or MS2 and in which block was it hard and why?
6. Is there a pre-med culture at UCR Undergrads? I'm particularly fond of helping people out as a mentor.

Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
Exact stat as yours!
To current medical students - could you guys answer these questions?
1. What your MS1 and MS2 schedules are like? Office of Information Technology: Student Master Calendar

2. How often are exams? Are the exams based on Step 1 questions? Weekly "self-assessments" that are written by professors. Graded in MS1, P/F in MS2. 3 exams at the end of each block, including anatomy, OSCE, and general lecture. Y2 we have the 1 general lecture exam, then an official NBME, and an OSCE. No midterms. Very nice, IMO.

3. I really am drawn to UCR's small class size - have you seen very involved and sincere mentorship/help by professors, doctors, and admins toward students? Immediately at the school (i.e. from our teachers, admin, etc.) I'd say not so much, though there are a few great people to be sure. At our clinical sites, personal mentors, and research advisors? Definitely. I've found an abundance of physicians who I admire and clique with. You will definitely find physicians who you are interested in being mentored by and are interested in mentoring you. Also note that this is my own personal experience - I believe some of my classmates may be closer with some of the more immediate faculty, though it does seem to be rarer in general.

4. Where are you guys going for your clinical rotations? (Kaiser Permanente, Riverside Community Hospital. etc.) Kaiser Permanente, Riverside Community Hospital, RUHS, St. Bernardine's. Private practice for LACE (Years 1-3) and for Y3 electives. There are more I'm sure, just can't think of them right now.

5. Where has your class/group of friends struggled the most? Is it during MS1 or MS2 and in which block was it hard and why? YMMV, can't really answer this question as everyone's experience is so different. Wish I could give you more details but honestly it varies way too much for each person based on their background, interests, study strategies, goals, how their brain works, etc. for me to give you anything concrete.

6. Is there a pre-med culture at UCR Undergrads? I'm particularly fond of helping people out as a mentor. Yes. You will have an abundance of opportunities, trust me.

Reactions: 2 users

to clarify, first year is graded A,B,C,D,F instead of P/F?