2017-2018 University of California - Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Has your education been continuous since graduation from high school? (yes or no, explanation if no)
  • Activities:
    • Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it’s significant.
    • What activity or accomplishment are you MOST proud of?
    • What experiences or activities have prepared you to work with medically underserved communities?
    • Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)
    Personal:
    • Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
    • Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)
    • What kind of health care setting do you envision yourself working in?
    • How do you see yourself contributing to the mission of the UCR School of Medicine?
    All of the prompts are 250 word limit
    PERSONAL STATEMENT: Your personal statement from the AMCAS application will be used in our admissions process. You do not need to duplicate it here. At your option, you may use this space to provide any further information you may want us to consider in addition to the AMCAS personal statement. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY.
Activities:
Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone! Current UCR medical student here. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Groovin, thanks for doing this. Would you say you are provided adequate resources in terms of research, clinical opportunities, etc?

@Groovin if I never lived in the IE nor went to UCR, are my chances really slim? Ive lived in Los angeles county my whole life

@Groovin if I never lived in the IE nor went to UCR, are my chances really slim? Ive lived in Los angeles county my whole life
I know a few who were from the OC or LA areas and were accepted. I think being aligned with their mission would be of higher importance.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received! I did not go to UCR for undergrad, but I grew up and currently live in the IE. I also volunteer at a hospital and work as an EMT in Riverside. I am, however, having problems accessing the secondary. I do not know if I am missing something, but I have no password to get in.

@SeductivePants

Congrats on getting to the next step! Do you mind posting the secondary questions?

Thanks

Thank you! I was just able to log in. Here are the prompts.
Education:
  • Has your education been continuous since graduation from high school? (yes or no, explanation if no)
Activities:
  • Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it’s significant.
  • What activity or accomplishment are you MOST proud of?
  • What experiences or activities have prepared you to work with medically underserved communities?
  • Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)
Personal:
  • Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
  • Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)
  • What kind of health care setting do you envision yourself working in?
  • How do you see yourself contributing to the mission of the UCR School of Medicine?
All of the prompts are 250 word limit

PERSONAL STATEMENT: Your personal statement from the AMCAS application will be used in our admissions process. You do not need to duplicate it here. At your option, you may use this space to provide any further information you may want us to consider in addition to the AMCAS personal statement. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY.

Reactions: 1 users
CA resident. Time to hit the panic button if I haven't received a secondary?

It is barely July 6th, my negrumps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary! That was a beast O_O. Top choice :)

For this portion of the secondary:

Please provide a list of those activities that were most important to you in terms of developing your academic, social, and overall personal growth. Please list those activities as indicated below. Limit your responses to the space provided, dragging the most important activities to the top.

What activities is it asking for? Are we supposed to pick and choose from the ones listed above from our primary, or are we supposed to pick different ones?

For this portion of the secondary:

Please provide a list of those activities that were most important to you in terms of developing your academic, social, and overall personal growth. Please list those activities as indicated below. Limit your responses to the space provided, dragging the most important activities to the top.

What activities is it asking for? Are we supposed to pick and choose from the ones listed above from our primary, or are we supposed to pick different ones?
I was wondering this as well. This whole secondary seems overly redundant.

Got rejected pre-secondary by Riverside after getting a secondary from Davis :confused:

by e-mail? sorry to hear :(

Yup. Got an email at 10:02 PST stating, "Our Admissions Committee has concluded its evaluation of your application to the UCR School of Medicine. Unfortunately, we are unable to take further action on your application. With 90+ applications for each seat in our class, the committee had to make many difficult choices and turn away a large number of exceptionally strong candidates."

I'm honestly not surprised given I have a low LizzyM (63.5) but after I got a secondary from Davis, I guess I just assumed that I'd get one from Riverside and Irvine too.

OMG YES GOT A SECONDARY. I've been feeling really low for the past days cuz I thought UCR screened me out for my 123 CARS. So happy right now WOO :)

Reactions: 2 users
I got a secondary literally just now, a top choice school :)

Last edited:
just got a secondary! I'm not an IE resident and didn't go to UCR though (I'm from LA). does anyone know how their screening process works? o_O

Same! Also not an IE resident, didn't go to UCR, LA resident who has been to Riverside exactly once in their life.

I'm guessing it's an MCAT/GPA screen + mysteriously holistic factors.

SECONDARY!! anyone know how extensive the screen is?

Secondary received today as well! No IE ties, from NorCal and attend school in SoCal. Heard this secondary is a beast though o-o

i noticed under "biographical" my state of residence is unselected but i cannot click it. anyone having same issue?

Best of luck to everyone on this.

Are we allowed to leave this question blank:
Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)

Or should I write a single sentence stating that I have no specific hardships I would like to highlight?

i noticed under "biographical" my state of residence is unselected but i cannot click it. anyone having same issue?

Same. They probably pulled the information from AMCAS and we are not able to change it as of now.

Hi Groovin, thanks for doing this. Would you say you are provided adequate resources in terms of research, clinical opportunities, etc?
Hi @Brah of Science, sorry for the late reply.

As for your question, as the school is primary medicine goal-oriented, there aren't much resources per say in regards to research. But, if your goal is to do research, there are plenty of opportunities to do so. You can seek them out yourself as many of the MS1 professors have labs here in Riverside for basic science or once you get to MS3 many of your attendings do clinical/transitional research on the side.

In regards to clinical opportunities (assuming during MS1/2), there are several student-run free clinics, in which you can participate as a member or join leadership. Also, UCR has a long-term clinical opportunity that begins in MS1, where you work with a primary care physician in the clinic once every two weeks. Between summer of MS1 and MS2, there are internships where you can rotate in our local hospitals to get some clinical experience. Of course, once you begin clerkships, you are all clinical!

There are definitely people from all around Southern California (who have no connection to the IE) in all of the classes. I wouldn't say your chances are slim based on this fact alone. Good luck!

is anyone else confused with the "which healthcare setting do u envision to work in" like wtf I am having a hard time figuring out what exactly they are asking. Like specialty, primary care? like WHAT

is anyone else confused with the "which healthcare setting do u envision to work in" like wtf I am having a hard time figuring out what exactly they are asking. Like specialty, primary care? like WHAT
Look at their mission statement for a hint. Spoiler alert: Primary care in IE

Look at their mission statement for a hint. Spoiler alert: Primary care in IE

Mmmm...this is a little bit of a stretch but I think we should talk about wanting to be a primary care physician in the inland empire.

Submitted. That was the mother of all secondaries. The stuff CA residents have to go through I swear lol

Anybody else feel like they are consistently repeating information from their primary? I feel there is a lot of overlap in my answers of all these questions

Anybody else feel like they are consistently repeating information from their primary? I feel there is a lot of overlap in my answers of all these questions
Seems like UCs have a theme of wanting you to regurgitate your primary app.

Extracurricular Interests and Activities

For the "Description" are we putting in just the activity name or an actual description of the activity?

Extracurricular Interests and Activities

For the "Description" are we putting in just the activity name or an actual description of the activity?
I was wondering the same thing. Do we put all of our activities?