2017-2018 Tufts University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was that was @medstar* was asking though? I think she was asking if calls for acceptances go out on multiple days during the week.. it seems like they only go out on one day but idk
I mentioned before that I got the call on Thursday. They do calls Tuesday and Thursday

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do either of you have significant ties to Maine if you don't mind me asking?

Significant ties to rural New England in general, some ties to Maine but probably not "significant"

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all. I thought I would keep those waiting pre-II updated. It looks like there is only 1 interview date left. I imagine it is likely the last interview date in March.

Is there an accepted Maine track and regular track group??

Where are you getting this info?
...from their portal. Once you have an interview scheduled, you can look at other dates that are available if you want to reschedule. When I first signed up, there were many more days available. When I last checked, there was only 1 day open.

...from their portal. Once you have an interview scheduled, you can look at other dates that are available if you want to reschedule. When I first signed up, there were many more days available. When I last checked, there was only 1 day open.
What was the date?

got an II but the only available date is 3/13 - anyone know if this will just be a hail mary for an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone accepted find or join a facebook group?

Yep, there's a facebook group you can request to join. Just search "Tufts University School of Medicine, Class of 2022 (Official)"

Hello! For those who interviewed, did the day really go until 4:15? My airline's last flight out is 5:40pm... I understand the airport is pretty close, but if anyone can comment on the traffic/airport business that would be great to understand if I have a chance to make it

Hello! For those who interviewed, did the day really go until 4:15? My airline's last flight out is 5:40pm... I understand the airport is pretty close, but if anyone can comment on the traffic/airport business that would be great to understand if I have a chance to make it

Ya Tufts is close to Logan, like 4 miles or so. I still wouldn’t risk it... not at that time of day. It’s taken me 2.5 hours to get to the airport from that part of town during rush hour.

As a caveat, security at Logan is usually quite quick but you would need a miracle to get to the gate in 85 minutes.

Reactions: 1 users
The silver line will skip most of traffic but it takes a lil bit

Does anyone know much about what it means to be deferred here? I saw someone posted a while back saying most people from this group get waitlisted eventually and there has been no waitlist movement the past few years. That seems really surprising to me... Wondering if anyone has more information on this?

Last edited:
Any last minute word of advice for those who will be interviewing this upcoming week!?

Any and all is welcome, and MUCH APPRECIATED. :)

Any recent interviewees been told when the next adcom meeting is?

The silver line will skip most of traffic but it takes a lil bit
I live in Boston so am familiar with Tufts/airport geography also. Welshman is right - you would definitely be cutting it close. Do you have TSA precheck? Or would you be willing to pay for the fast track security/boarding (still probably less expensive than a hotel for one more night)? If so, and you're a comfortable traveler, it could be doable. If not I'd say maybe take the first flight out in the morning.

So I’ve been in silence since July (with two updates sent), and while I’m already accepted at another school, Tufts has always been my top choice. Worth sending a letter of interest/intent at this point?

Does anyone know much about what it means to be deferred here? I saw someone posted a while back saying most people from this group get waitlisted eventually and there has been no waitlist movement the past few years. That seems really surprising to me... Wondering if anyone has more information on this?

Bumpity bump. Anyone know of a student who was deferred and then accepted?

Going off of perdvert. Is common for people who are deferred from Maine Track are later accepted? Or is it tougher to move from deferred status for Maine Track people compared to regular track?

Going off of perdvert. Is common for people who are deferred from Maine Track are later accepted? Or is it tougher to move from deferred status for Maine Track people compared to regular track?
I feel like because it is such a small pool of applicants for Maine Track compared to regular that it may have better movement. I read a thread from a few years ago that mentioned how deferred applicants were moved to the waitlist after a while but there were some students accepted off of it late.

hey guys I am a first year medical student here, URM etc. I am happy to answer any question you have about tufts. But I must say this school is amazing when it comes to supporting and being there for their students. My classmates are awesome and the faculty is even better! The biggest drawback about this school is the cost, I was lucky enough to get just about a full tuition scholarship but cost of living is still a burden.
Can you share any examples of how the school is amazing/supportive and there for students? What do you like about your classmates and the faculty?

For those asking about deferred, can’t make any guesses about this year, but the past two years they overaccepted/overenrolled to the point that they had to try and get people to defer. I assume after my year they were trying to avoid that but then it happened again last year so I’m not sure what exactly that means for this year. Also I know for sure Maine track in my year was initially underenrolled due to an overenrolled regular track.

TL;DR: last two years there wasn’t waitlist movement (not sure if there was deferred acceptance before wait list), unsure what this year will bring, and Maine track waitlist/deferred also depends on number of people in regular track since first two years are together

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those asking about deferred, can’t make any guesses about this year, but the past two years they overaccepted/overenrolled to the point that they had to try and get people to defer. I assume after my year they were trying to avoid that but then it happened again last year so I’m not sure what exactly that means for this year. Also I know for sure Maine track in my year was initially underenrolled due to an overenrolled regular track.

TL;DR: last two years there wasn’t waitlist movement (not sure if there was deferred acceptance before wait list), unsure what this year will bring, and Maine track waitlist/deferred also depends on number of people in regular track since first two years are together

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
To go off this, at my interview day for Maine Track they explained the reason for decreased MT enrollment last year wasn’t because there was less interest, but because of regular track over enrollment. They have to stay around the enrollment total, which means to avoid over enrollment they have to cut down on MT spots. That’s what it sounded like anyway! :(

Hi! Congrats to all of you who have been accepted and best of luck to those of you who haven't been so lucky...

I'm applying this upcoming cycle and Tufts is my top choice. I'm taking my MCAT in April and hoping to get ~515 (but who am I kidding...). I studied Economics for my undergrad and finished an MSc Health Economics...both in the UK. I did all of my science pre-reqs in the US and have a GPA of 3.96. Do you have any tips for how I can strengthen my application/what I should emphasize? What do you think your appeal was to Tufts? Any insight is appreciated!

Hi! Congrats to all of you who have been accepted and best of luck to those of you who haven't been so lucky...

I'm applying this upcoming cycle and Tufts is my top choice. I'm taking my MCAT in April and hoping to get ~515 (but who am I kidding...). I studied Economics for my undergrad and finished an MSc Health Economics...both in the UK. I did all of my science pre-reqs in the US and have a GPA of 3.96. Do you have any tips for how I can strengthen my application/what I should emphasize? What do you think your appeal was to Tufts? Any insight is appreciated!
I have a 515 and I haven't heard anything...

It's not all about MCAT and GPA. @monster123 make sure you have strong ECs, great recs, write your apps early and well.

Hmm - I guess I was wondering whether there are any qualities that you think Tufts places more value on than others...I'm working on my personal statement and don't know whether I should be focusing more on clinical experience or volunteering etc. Any thoughts?

Hmm - I guess I was wondering whether there are any qualities that you think Tufts places more value on than others...I'm working on my personal statement and don't know whether I should be focusing more on clinical experience or volunteering etc. Any thoughts?

I'd advise you to only try tailoring to Tufts in your secondary not your general app. IMO your PS should be telling of who you are, what you're passionate about, and why you want to go into medicine. You should use your experiences and stories to show this info rather than tell. Doesn't really matter what kind of activities you talk about, what you've gotten from them is what's meaningful I think.

I'd advise you to only try tailoring to Tufts in your secondary not your general app. IMO your PS should be telling of who you are, what you're passionate about, and why you want to go into medicine. You should use your experiences and stories to show this info rather than tell. Doesn't really matter what kind of activities you talk about, what you've gotten from them is what's meaningful I think.

Thanks! Thats a really great way of putting it ("what you've gotten from them is what's meaningful"). I will keep that in mind as I work on my PS :)

Thanks! Thats a really great way of putting it ("what you've gotten from them is what's meaningful"). I will keep that in mind as I work on my PS :)
I would recommend looking through the stickied sections of the premed forum and read everything relavent over the next couple days before doing anything else. As for the PS, above all answer the prompt, “why do you want to become a physician”, in a thorough and compelling way.

Don't write your application trying to be someone you think a school will like. Because they very well may not like that person, and if they do, they will see right past it when you interview and aren't the person you portrayed yourself as on paper. Just be yourself and let your honest feelings about medicine, why you want to be a doctor, etc. come through. Being true to who you are will never hurt you.

As for what to write about, again you need to stay honest with yourself. Don't force a personal statement that doesn't suit you. I've proofread essays about medicine, volunteering, cooking, family, travel... whatever you need to get the message you want to send across to the reader is fine. Your activities section can really highlight your experience, your personal statement doesn't need to be a glowing review of your accomplishments. It should show your character. And I agree with the above suggestions - wait until your secondary app to tailor answers specifically to Tufts.

Hey, so I think the most important parts for Tufts are measurables and then relevant experience (which can be said for everyone)... it's a great school so I think they'll screen pretty hard on MCAT and GPA/sGPA. But, after that they're gonna be left with thousands of academically qualified applicants. I would recommend trying to make your self as "medical" as possible. The best way to do this without a ton of background is probably scribing.

Getting a 515 will be hard, but if you get that that then it will definitely put your app in a shorter stack.

Other than that just be yourself.

Accepted!! I was deferred on Feb.1. Interviewed 1/18

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats! When did you hear you were accepted? Did you send any updates or anything?
Thank you! Just today, I got the call around 4:30 pm. Yes I submitted an update letter/letter of interest a couple of days after I was deferred.

Thank you! Just today, I got the call around 4:30 pm. Yes I submitted an update letter/letter of interest a couple of days after I was deferred.

happy for you! and this gives me some hope that being deferred here isn't a death sentence :p

So if you really want to catch their attention on the secondary, then listen to this...
I just interviewed at the school and asked a lot of question about what the profile of the school was. Almost every faculty member said Tufts places value in "Collegiality". I must have heard that word over 10 times during my visit. So its very important to them. Additionally, I heard from voting members that they look for students without big "egos". From that, I understood that they are looking for really bright applicants, but none that think they are better than others because of it. Lastly, faculty and students all said that Tufts is a place where you become a clinician with a little research on the side. I asked my interviewer about this and he told me that the main mission is clinical care and that the education is first and foremost about the patients. Sound I would encourage you to focus on that in your secondary and not try to make research the main idea.

Good luck!

Accepted!! was also deferred on feb 1st

Reactions: 2 users
So if you really want to catch their attention on the secondary, then listen to this...
I just interviewed at the school and asked a lot of question about what the profile of the school was. Almost every faculty member said Tufts places value in "Collegiality". I must have heard that word over 10 times during my visit. So its very important to them. Additionally, I heard from voting members that they look for students without big "egos". From that, I understood that they are looking for really bright applicants, but none that think they are better than others because of it. Lastly, faculty and students all said that Tufts is a place where you become a clinician with a little research on the side. I asked my interviewer about this and he told me that the main mission is clinical care and that the education is first and foremost about the patients. Sound I would encourage you to focus on that in your secondary and not try to make research the main idea.

Good luck!
I also found this to be true on my interview day.

Do you all think March 13th is the last interview day? It's the latest available one I see on the scheduler.