2018-2019 Tufts University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone still waiting on financial aid?
got mine via snail mail yesterday and let's just say it made my decision a lot easier!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if the FA packages were awarded based on who they want the most. Anyone knows?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if the FA packages were awarded based on who they want the most. Anyone knows?
My sense is that would be unfair - I can't imagine they would do that. Unless merit scholarships are included in the package. My understanding is that it's need-based only. I may be wrong, though.

It's need-based only. so no. They essentially have a rank of students based on the combination of students income and their parents income (if they applied for institutional aid you were required to submit those tax returns, plus asset information. Like if you own a business or equity in your home or how many liquid assets you have). The less you have less of these sources of wealth the more needy you are, the more aid you get. So its a system that likely doesn't help students with moderately to flat-out wealthy parents. Unless the class would be so that everyone is wealthy. So lets say a person makes 100k a year yet everyone else still makes more. that person with 100k would be the most needy. Lots of rich people are going to medical school, but this scenario very likely is NOT the norm. And if youre wealthy and your parents are choosing to not help you then it's sorry about your luck. At least the option existed that they could help you\rather than it being absolutely impossible in the first place. This then spirals into the philosophy of charity and a role a a parent in their child's education and life trajectory... hope this helps understanding their need-based aid system.

Source? I met with the office of FA during second look

this is also why they do not match scholarships from other schools. They have their own tools to measure need and try to implement them equitably. So considering another schools offer goes against this whole process of determining need

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It's need-based only. so no. They essentially have a rank of students based on the combination of students income and their parents income (if they applied for institutional aid you were required to submit those tax returns, plus asset information. Like if you own a business or equity in your home or how many liquid assets you have). The less you have less of these sources of wealth the more needy you are, the more aid you get. So its a system that likely doesn't help students with moderately to flat-out wealthy parents. Unless the class would be so that everyone is wealthy. So lets say a person makes 100k a year yet everyone else still makes more. that person with 100k would be the most needy. Lots of rich people are going to medical school, but this scenario very likely is NOT the norm. And if youre wealthy and your parents are choosing to not help you then it's sorry about your luck. At least the option existed that they could help you\rather than it being absolutely impossible in the first place. This then spirals into the philosophy of charity and a role a a parent in their child's education and life trajectory... hope this helps understanding their need-based aid system.

Source? I met with the office of FA during second look

this is also why they do not match scholarships from other schools. They have their own tools to measure need and try to implement them equitably. So considering another schools offer goes against this whole process of determining need
If that's the case, shouldn't they send out everyone's FA awards all at once? They are sending the awards out in batches, which is what makes me suspect there may be additional factors other than 'need' in determining who receives FA first and how much is awarded. Just personal opinion, not backed up by any verified info!

Just withdrew my acceptance, not worth $400k of debt. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
wowza still waiting on FA info.. and I submitted all my docs a couple months before the March deadline

For those still missing your finaid info, check any other addresses listed on AMCAS! They sent mine to my parents' house (permanent residence), not my apartment

Reactions: 1 users
If that's the case, shouldn't they send out everyone's FA awards all at once? They are sending the awards out in batches, which is what makes me suspect there may be additional factors other than 'need' in determining who receives FA first and how much is awarded. Just personal opinion, not backed up by any verified info!

this is a good point. I can tell you that I was given a package that made me choose tufts over my state school. And i did not receive my package in the "first" batch of students. I do know they have financial advisors for groups of students, divided up like A-G, H-P etc. Maybe one advisor has more people so it takes longer to produce all those packages at once? idk just tossing out a random guess.

Just got a phat 0 bucks from Tufts. Say hello to 90k in loans. GL

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any one who submitted their FA app before March deadline still waiting for a response?

Any one who submitted their FA app before March deadline still waiting for a response?
yup. When I called yesterday, they said a bunch are supposed to be sent out today and to call on Monday if you didn't get it yet. This is dumb

Just withdrew my acceptance (lol at the 94k in loans) - hope it goes to someone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 6 users
Another random discovery if this applies to anyone: if you went to Tufts undergrad/for another degree, sis reactivated your utln and has been udpated with finaid info this whole time lol

Tufts isn't worth 400k lol

anyone else freaking out about the prospect of paying for this school? is it even going to be possible to pay back these loans?

anyone else freaking out about the prospect of paying for this school? is it even going to be possible to pay back these loans?
If you dont have another school you will obviously go here. Don't worry. If you pass medical school you will pay those loans back. Just be responsible.

Tufts must think its a t20

I feel like the tuition is a major problem for this school yet on interview day their attitude was basically like 'we are a private school. this is what private school tuition is'. I just feel like since Tufts isn't ranked super high and they don't have a lot of financial aid money, then they need to come up with a better answer than that.

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like the tuition is a major problem for this school yet on interview day their attitude was basically like 'we are a private school. this is what private school tuition is'. I just feel like since Tufts isn't ranked super high and they don't have a lot of financial aid money, then they need to come up with a better answer than that.
Maybe they should reduce their class size so that each students gets more aid!

Maybe they should reduce their class size so that each students gets more aid!
less students = less tuition. considering most students don't receive grants any where near full tuition it likely would not end up helping. Using more of the endowment and making financial aid more of a priority would help

Just withdrew from Tufts - hope the seat goes to someone on the waitlist!

By the way, for those of you who've already withdrawn - did you just send them an email? I couldn't find anything on the portal where I could withdraw my acceptance. Thanks!

How do we withdraw our seat once accepted? I do not see a spot to do this in the portal.

I remember sitting through their financial aid presentation on interview day and they jumped right in with "we suggest brewing your own coffee instead of going to Starbucks!" that's when I knew I was in hot water lmao

Reactions: 7 users
Just withdrew from Tufts - hope the seat goes to someone on the waitlist!

By the way, for those of you who've already withdrawn - did you just send them an email? I couldn't find anything on the portal where I could withdraw my acceptance. Thanks!

How do we withdraw our seat once accepted? I do not see a spot to do this in the portal.

There's no place to withdraw on the portal. I emailed [email protected]

Just withdrew from Tufts. Best of luck to all those on the waitlist.

So with April 30th coming up, do we think there will be a meeting? On the site it says they meet on an ad-hoc basis for WL apps, but Apr 30th is such a landmark date it;s hard for me to believe they wouldn't at least talk about all the movement.

So with April 30th coming up, do we think there will be a meeting? On the site it says they meet on an ad-hoc basis for WL apps, but Apr 30th is such a landmark date it;s hard for me to believe they wouldn't at least talk about all the movement.

Okay so according to last year's thread, May 1st was actually the day when they told everyone if they were going to be waitlisted or rejected post-deferment, which I think is why most people came off the waitlist 2 weeks later because they had to sort who would stay on the list vs traffic day movement, etc. However, this year they have already told us who is on the waitlist/rejected post deferment, Maybe this means waitlist movement will occur much sooner? As in by the end of this week?? Just my thoughts.

I withdrew last night as well. Best of luck to everyone!

Withdrew a few days ago. I bet there will be a lot of WL movement. Best of luck y'all!!!

Sorry for the silly question, but where exactly does one withdraw on the secondary portal?

Sorry for the silly question, but where exactly does one withdraw on the secondary portal?

I don’t think there is a button, I just e-mailed them directly and got a pretty prompt reply.

Has anyone heard anything or have any idea about when the next committee meeting might be?

I need the committee to hurry it up just a little bit

Reactions: 6 users