2017-2018 Tufts University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? (1000 characters)

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine? (1000 characters)

3. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s). (1000 characters)

4. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.) (1000 characters)

There is also a prerequisite section which asks to show which classes you have completed to complete each pre req

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the secondary question that asks if you have repeated coursework/withdrawal - what if my university has a standard research credit that is awarded each year? The grade is the same each semester.

Hello everyone, I'm a rising second year at tufts, feel free to ask me any questions you have and I'll answer when I get a chance to the best of my abilities!

Also, I wouldn't. They understand that research credit is the same class usually, repeated courses would be ones where you didn't pass and had to retake it to get a passing grade, so you don't want to flag that section

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also a rising second year. I'll try and fill in any gaps if ninjas unavailable. Good luck to all!

hey @CyrilFiggis and @quietninja72 , thanks for the offer! Would you be willing to talk a bit about the culture at Tufts? That is a bit broad so maybe more specifically, what drew you to the school, which of your expectations have been either blown away or fallen short? How is the administration?

Well for starters I'll just say this, neither myself or @quietninja72 are from Boston or New England, so neither of us came with a local preference.

The culture is great, esp for being a large medical school. You don't get lost in the crowds. First and second year are pass/fail so there is zero competitiveness. There are study materials pass around online not only from within classes, but handed down from other classes. You'll have at least 2 fourth years serve as teachers in small groups and they are also great resources.

What drew me to the school academically was that it focuses on training you to be a clinician, but still provides great resources to pursue research, community service, public health, etc. I'm doing research this summer at an outside hospital that Tufts provided while I'm also working with an attending at Tufts drafting case reports who I met as a small group leader.

As for underwhelming features, Tufts is in the process of revamping the curriculum and so we were guinea pigs to some of those changes. That got a bit frustrating, but it was only like 2 classes so it was more of an inconvenience than a problem. But with that comes the good which includes a brand-new multi-million dollar anatomy that's under construction and that your class will be the first to have every anatomy class in. And I guess another positive is that we still do cadaver dissections as our primary learning tool.

Not sure if that covered anything you wanted to know, but keep asking.

Reactions: 1 users
Well for starters I'll just say this, neither myself or @quietninja72 are from Boston or New England, so neither of us came with a local preference.

The culture is great, esp for being a large medical school. You don't get lost in the crowds. First and second year are pass/fail so there is zero competitiveness. There are study materials pass around online not only from within classes, but handed down from other classes. You'll have at least 2 fourth years serve as teachers in small groups and they are also great resources.

What drew me to the school academically was that it focuses on training you to be a clinician, but still provides great resources to pursue research, community service, public health, etc. I'm doing research this summer at an outside hospital that Tufts provided while I'm also working with an attending at Tufts drafting case reports who I met as a small group leader.

As for underwhelming features, Tufts is in the process of revamping the curriculum and so we were guinea pigs to some of those changes. That got a bit frustrating, but it was only like 2 classes so it was more of an inconvenience than a problem. But with that comes the good which includes a brand-new multi-million dollar anatomy that's under construction and that your class will be the first to have every anatomy class in. And I guess another positive is that we still do cadaver dissections as our primary learning tool.

Not sure if that covered anything you wanted to know, but keep asking.
Are there any programs embedded within the curriculum that allows students to pursue any type of business/economics of medicine?

There is a very strong MD/MBA program to consider.
Can we apply for that after getting accepted into the MD program? Still unsure as to if I want to pursue a dual degree.

Can we apply for that after getting accepted into the MD program? Still unsure as to if I want to pursue a dual degree.
Yes, definitely. They won't review your MBA application until you're accepted into the MD program anyway. I'm doing the MD/MPH program and applied about a month after acceptance. You just have to apply before space in the program runs out.

If you interview, there will be a current student and/or the program director available for you to ask questions. The program is through Brandeis. The only negative is that as a first year you do not participate in Selectives since your classes are at the same time.

Everything @CyrilFiggis said is spot on with my experience as well. I also would like to reiterate that even though it is a big school you really get to know everyone and they somehow manage to pick a class of people that all get along.

As for the MD/MBA, you can apply after you get in as long as spots are available. Another potential negative is that you take MBA classes starting in June before first year and also have 6 weeks of summer class in the summer between first and second. However, it's also nice because you still finish both degrees in 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine?

3. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s).

4. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)

There is also a prerequisite section which asks to show which classes you have completed to complete each pre req

1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine?

3. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s).

4. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)

that's it? is this considered a short secondary; seems like number 2 is the only one you have to write about if the others dont' apply to you

Thanks!! any character limit?

Received and submitted. Good luck, everyone!

And yes, the secondary questions have a 1000 character limit each. @Smartypants92

Haven't received a secondary yet and was verified in early June. Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 3 users
Just got mine this morning/submitted

Don't stress if you haven't received a secondary yet. You'll get it. I didn't receive mine until mid-July and still got in.

@Lucca @gyngyn

Prompts:

(All 1000 characters)

Credit to @abriA0

I took the first semester of gen chem at my undergrad and then took it again as a postbacc. Any idea if this counts as "repeated coursework"?

I've filled out every box in the "Tufts Prerequisites" page but I keep getting this error:

• This page is incomplete. Please enter all required fields and press 'section complete'.
Anyone else having issues with this?

I've filled out every box in the "Tufts Prerequisites" page but I keep getting this error:

• This page is incomplete. Please enter all required fields and press 'section complete'.
Anyone else having issues with this?

Did you press the section complete button at the bottom of each page after filling it out?

huh, still no secondary; recieved many others but not Tufts. Processed first week of June - do they take their time sending out secondaries?

huh, still no secondary; recieved many others but not Tufts. Processed first week of June - do they take their time sending out secondaries?
I'm in the same boat as you

Recieved my secondary ready for review email this morning but now my mcat status changed to not received for some reason, anyone else having the same issue?

@sss1219 I submitted yesterday and was ready for review instantly with all greens. Everything is still the same as of right now, and MCAT score still there.

Recieved my secondary ready for review email this morning but now my mcat status changed to not received for some reason, anyone else having the same issue?

Just checked mine.. it says it is not received either

I have received the complete and ready to review email though!

Do you have more than one mcat score? I wonder if it's because they super score?

Nope, only one score and wasn't planning on retaking. I've been trying to call the office the past hour or so to ask about it but I can't get through, I'll update here once I do

EDIT: Wait it's July 4th LOL I'll call tmrw

Nope, only one score and wasn't planning on retaking. I've been trying to call the office the past hour or so to ask about it but I can't get through, I'll update here once I do

They are probably closed for the 4th?
Maybe try tomorrow! Good luck, and let me know!

It seems maybe they randomize and send out secondaries in batches? I got one yesterday, LizzyM 71.6. I only have a 3.46 cGPA so I can't imagine I'm at the top of the list, so it must be random.

It seems maybe they randomize and send out secondaries in batches? I got one yesterday, LizzyM 71.6. I only have a 3.46 cGPA so I can't imagine I'm at the top of the list, so it must be random.

I feel like it has something to do with when you sent in your primary to them. I'm guessing they are just going in order because although I was verified June 19 I didn't add tufts until the 28th and have yet to receive a secondary. But who knows. Schools do what they want lol

I feel like it has something to do with when you sent in your primary to them. I'm guessing they are just going in order because although I was verified June 19 I didn't add tufts until the 28th and have yet to receive a secondary. But who knows. Schools do what they want lol

don't know about that; submitted June 1st morning and verified within a week, LizzyM is above a 70 and have not received