2017-2018 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a guess, but I think if you're getting put on one of the two waitlists or you are getting rejected, that would show up on the portal. Again this is just a guess. If your portal cleared but you don't have a decision, I wouldn't give up hope. Your decision could just be coming later.
Has anyone been rejected or waitlisted post interview yet? I figure if you haven't heard back those are your fates...

Members don't see this ad.

Welp, rejected post-interview. Knew I bombed the MMI. There goes that I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if upstate is receptive to feedback about why you didn't get in?

Did anyone who found out they were accepted last week get their acceptance packet yet?

Just put on hold this morning. Complete 9/29. OOS. LM 75.

Did anyone who found out they were accepted last week get their acceptance packet yet?

Got the packet yesterday! already includes an equipment list for the first year clinical course :-O I didn't realize stethoscopes were so expensive...

Reactions: 2 users
Got the packet yesterday! already includes an equipment list for the first year clinical course :-O I didn't realize stethoscopes were so expensive...

You don't need the most expensive stethoscope - trust me. First two years, you'll be auscultating fellow POM students and standardized patients pretending to know what you're listening for.

You want something that will last, but don't break the bank for one. Littmann Cardio/Classic III/IV will suffice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Any acceptances recently? Interviewed on 10/18 and haven’t had the portal clear yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain! Interviewed way back on 10/2 and still without portal clearance.

I feel your pain! Interviewed way back on 10/2 and still without portal clearance.

Perhaps wait a little longer, but it's getting to the point where you should start thinking about calling the admissions office. I often hear admission staff state that if you're waiting for >4-5 weeks to contact them. Though, next week will be a bit strange since they do not release decisions over the week of Thanksgiving.

Portal cleared and accepted at the same time (11 AM)! Interviewed 10/2. Best of luck to everyone else! Don't be discouraged if your result is taking longer than others.

Reactions: 4 users
Just checked and was accepted on portal during some point of the day - unbelievably ecstatic :D (Interviewed Oct 18)

Just accepted via portal as well!! Interviewed 10/2!! Super excited! :)

@mosothoamosoeu

The process is as follows:

When you receive an II and you log on to the portal you will see a message toward the bottom of the screen saying something like "congratulations on being selected for an interview"

Sometime after your interview your portal will clear. This means that the message about the interview will disappear. Nothing will be there now. When your portal is clear, according to people on sdn, that is when your formal decision has been entered into the system but not visible to you yet.

Sometime after portal clearing, if accepted, a new message will appear where the old interview congrats message was saying something like "congrats on being admitted or something".

For me the formal email about acceptance was emailed to me at noon the day the acceptance message appeared on my portal. I'm not entirely sure how this process differs for those rejected or waitlisted post interview.

Also the process does not follow a chronological order. Some people who interview later hear back earlier and some people who interview earlier hear back later.

if you got put on hold and it says they start reviewing you after 12/1, does anyone know how soon after? And if its worth it to send an update right near that time or like January?

Has anyone who was accepted yesterday received an acceptance email yet? Haven't gotten mine yet.
Edit: received at 2:50 pm

Last edited:
If I interviewed on 10/18 and still didn’t hear back, should I call the admission office?

If I interviewed on 10/18 and still didn’t hear back, should I call the admission office?

I know the wait is stressful :(. I would probably hold off on calling for a couple more weeks, as someone from 10/2 just heard back on Sunday. Most likely, they are running somewhat behind and will tell you that a decision is coming soon - something that you already know. Try your best to be patient, as hard as it may be! Keep in mind that how long it takes them seems to be somewhat random and have minimal bearing on the actual decision. It took them forever to give me my answer, so feel free to message me if you need to vent.

Interviewed a week before you and still no portal clearance. From what I am seeing, the review process isn't entirely chronological.

Can one who interviewed explain in very broad strokes the 9 MMI stations? Is there a traditional style station, or are all 9 secnario based and the writing one?

Can one who interviewed explain in very broad strokes the 9 MMI stations? Is there a traditional style station, or are all 9 secnario based and the writing one?

I'm afraid even that level of detail may violate the NDA

I think that all I can say is.. Go with an open mind and enjoy it. I found it a very pleasing experience and actually had fun during the MMI.

Also, they say they have a big MMI bank - so I wouldn't expect anything other than be yourself and answer honestly.

can anyone recommend me good hotels near the school that i could stay at? also are the tours mostly indoors (slight worried about the weather haha)? thanks for all your help!

can anyone recommend me good hotels near the school that i could stay at? also are the tours mostly indoors (slight worried about the weather haha)? thanks for all your help!
I can't answer about the hotels since I was always within driving distance from the school.

The tours, however, are 100% indoors. During the warmer months, tour guides may bring students to the Campus Activities Building (gym, pool, basketball court, etc.). But as we approach December.......

a5521ac592d640e261759690308c1ae1--winter-is-coming-meme-its-funny.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Does SUNY Upstate accept updates? (sorry if this has been asked and answered)

Accepted through portal. First one as well! Oct 11 Interview.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted via portal. First acceptance as well! Oct 16th interview

Reactions: 5 users
Last edited:
Does SUNY Upstate accept updates? (sorry if this has been asked and answered)

Before the interview: You can send updates via the admissions email (in the body of the email)

Source: snickers356

After the interview: Yes. You will get information during the interview itself.
TL;DR you will be able to email the admissions office with a brief update after your interview

*Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Before the interview: I'm not 100% sure. Based on several other schools' policies, I would assume not. To verify, you may want to reach out to the admissions office.

After the interview: Yes. You will get information during the interview itself.
TL;DR you will be able to email the admissions office with a brief update after your interview
They did accept them pre-interview in case anyone is wondering! via sending it to their admissions email, in the body of the email

Reactions: 1 users
They did accept them pre-interview in case anyone is wondering! via sending it to their admissions email, in the body of the email

Like not as an attachment? I'm wondering if it's worth it to send one as they start reviewing hold apps after Friday I think

Like not as an attachment? I'm wondering if it's worth it to send one as they start reviewing hold apps after Friday I think
Yeah not as an attachment I asked specifically because I sent one to another school in a PDF and never got a response, followed up a month later and they told me because it was in a PDF attachment

Accepted via portal!! Interviewed 10/18, this is my first one!!! Beyond excited :claps:

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats guys!!

Have any of you gotten an email acceptance yet? I already paid my deposit and my portal reflects that. I’m just wondering if there is anything else that I need to do in the short term.

Haven't gotten an email yet. I also paid and my portal cleared, but from what I understand we may be getting info in the mail sometime in the near future? Can anyone confirm what happens now?

When you pay your portal will clear. You should get the email soon. I got mine the same day I checked my portal and saw I was accepted. Youll get an acceptance folder/packet in about a week via mail.

Portal cleared Tuesday and received rejection email on Thursday :(