2017-2018 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year:
Which medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point?
Are there any areas of weakness in your application that you would like to clarify for the Admissions Committee? Yes No No Response
If yes, Please describe:
1800 Characters for all

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they're OOS friendly if you have ties to New York...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I am the Army healthcare recruiter that covers Upstate. Good luck to this year's applicants, if you have any questions about the HPSP scholarship let me know. We have a great relationship with the finance and admissions office so anyway we can help let me know!

Has anyone received their secondary prompts yet and can post it? Thanks.

Just received the secondary! Are there no essays? I don't see any so far?

Just received the secondary! Are there no essays? I don't see any so far?
+1. No essays. What answer are they looking for in this box in Personal Information page? There is no Yes or No beside it or I Agree/Disagree.

I understand that once I submit this application, I will be immediately prompted to pay the application fee with a credit or debit card. I understand I will not be able to re-enter the application at a later time to pay the application fee nor review my application. If I don't pay the application upon submission of this application, I will need to e-mail Student Admissions ([email protected]) to be sent a link to pay the application fee which must be received by the deadline date. If I received a waiver from AMCAS, I understand that I need to forward that e-mail to [email protected]. I understand my application will not be considered complete without the application fee or official waiver.
web_required_cascade.png

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont know what you guys are talking about,

@gyngyn

Prompts:
1) If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year:
2) Which medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point?
3) Are there any areas of weakness in your application that you would like to clarify for the Admissions Committee? Yes No No Response
If yes, Please describe:
1800 Characters for all

Reactions: 2 users
Does the medical specialty prompt merit an essay response? It seems that they just want a straight answer. No character limits, no indication that this an essay question, and it's under the personal information section. I'd understand wanting to separate yourself from the crowd with a more fleshed out response, but I don't know that they'd want one.

Thoughts on this?

i dont know what you guys are talking about,

@gyngyn

Prompts:
1) If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year:
2) Which medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point?
3) Are there any areas of weakness in your application that you would like to clarify for the Admissions Committee? Yes No No Response
If yes, Please describe:
1800 Characters for all

Just saw the third question on the next pages.

Last edited:
Does the medical specialty prompt merit an essay response? It seems that they just want a straight answer. No character limits, no indication that this an essay question, and it's under the personal information section. I'd understand wanting to separate yourself from the crowd with a more fleshed out response, but I don't know that they'd want one.

Thoughts on this?

I could be wrong, but it really doesn't look like it's an essay question. I gave just a straight answer.

Im having difficulty figuring out the six digit area code for the phone number. Is there a special code for the U.S.? like (+1)?

Im having difficulty figuring out the six digit area code for the phone number. Is there a special code for the U.S.? like (+1)?

I did my 3 digit area code in the first box and 7 digit number in the 2nd. They probably have your number through AMCAS anyways

If you haven't completed your baccalaureate degree yet, will you be doing so this academic year?

If im graduating in the Spring of 2018, do I answer this yes or no??

If you haven't completed your baccalaureate degree yet, will you be doing so this academic year?

If im graduating in the Spring of 2018, do I answer this yes or no??

You reply 'yes'

Hey guys! I'm an incoming MS1 currently in the MedSET program (4 week transition into med school course). I was in your shoes one year ago and I would like to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to message me if you have any personal questions! :)

I saw this post and thought you might be daft.

Then I actually opened the application. (xxxxxx) (xxxxxxxxxxxx) (xxxxxxxx) WTF!

Hey guys! I'm an incoming MS1 currently in the MedSET program (4 week transition into med school course). I was in your shoes one year ago and I would like to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to message me if you have any personal questions! :)

Looks like a cool program! Did you need to apply to MedSET after your acceptance?

Also, did you (or anyone else) apply to the Rural Medical Scholars track? Under the supplementary application it is one of the options. I just want to make sure I only need to fill out one supplemental application for both MD and RMSP.

Looks like a cool program! Did you need to apply to MedSET after your acceptance?

Also, did you (or anyone else) apply to the Rural Medical Scholars track? Under the supplementary application it is one of the options. I just want to make sure I only need to fill out one supplemental application for both MD and RMSP.

Yeah, I had to apply after I was accepted. I was accepted into the school in November and they sent the application in January. The deadline to complete the app was in April and I was accepted into the program the end of April.

I didn't apply to the Rural Medical Scholars track so I'm not sure.

I called today and asked about LORs. I was told they will accept up to 7 total... just fyi.

Just like @dr_stewpeas, I was accepted to Upstate but I will be going somewhere else. It's a brutal process and I will tell you it's definitely not all about your stats. I got a 500 on the MCAT and was accepted to 3/6 schools I was accepted into with scholarships. Upstate, in particular, told me I had a stellar interview and was vouched for during the committee meeting by one of the interviewers. The point is, put a lot of effort into writing good essays/secondaries, and if/when you get an interview invite, prep extremely well. I had 6 interviews and performed poorly on the first three. I later found a book (which I can refer you to if you PM me) which helped tremendously with the remaining interviews and was able to gain admission to all the other schools (including some high-ranking schools if that matters to you) thereafter. Work hard/pm me for tips and good luck. Also be confident in yourself!

Reactions: 8 users
okay am I going crazy? I do not see the third essay about any inconsistencies in my application... i just see the

"I understand that once I submit this application, I will be immediately prompted to pay the application fee with a credit or debit card. I understand I will not be able to re-enter the application at a later time to pay the application fee nor review my application. If I don't pay the application upon submission of this application, I will need to e-mail Student Admissions ([email protected]) to be sent a link to pay the application fee which must be received by the deadline date. If I received a waiver from AMCAS, I understand that I need to forward that e-mail to [email protected]. I understand my application will not be considered complete without the application fee or official waiver.
web_required_cascade.png
"

but there is a box i must fill out???

i have my "inconsistencies" essay all written for other schools so I just pasted that there but I will probably call admissions....

edit- okay i found where the inconsistencies go, but just confused about what I am supposed to write for the "I understand" part...

Last edited:
II today! Didn't get email but checked application status on the SUNY Upstate Portal! You guys who are complete should check too!

WOW!

II here too! Portal Update only. Complete 7/18, see sig for stats

Reactions: 1 users
*refreshes app menu page forever*

Oh!

Also, I need to plug my Interview Invite Tracker for those that receive them! With the help of the users on SDN and Reddit - I'm compiling data on interview invites sent out this year to better understand how they their temporal distribution and MCAT/GPA averages for invites to particular schools. In 2 days, I've had over 100+ responses! By the end of the cycle this thing could provide alot of good data for us nerds to use!

If you want to add your invite - go to 2017/18 MD Interview Invite Tracker and fill in the info!

The response data is in the link in my signature!

so should i be worried if I was complete 7/18 with no II/rejection? OOS LM71

so should i be worried if I was complete 7/18 with no II/rejection? OOS LM71
No! I sent all my schools in early, this is my only II so far. Who knows they might not have even had a chance to look at your yet! Just be patient.

does anyone know if there are specific cutoffs? I am retaking the MCAT on August 11th and not sure if they will process my application before receiving the updated scores. I am IS if that helps at all!

OOOOOOOOOOH yeah bois! II today via email. Canadian applicant.

Last edited:
II!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At work right now but so excited!!!!! Complete 7/18 (3.73/519)

II!! IS (3.87/515)

Last edited: