2017-2018 Michigan State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! I didn't expect them to call on a Monday night. At my interview, we were told that we'd get calls on Tuesdays, unless they review EL and GR interviewees separately..Mind me asking where did you interview?
I was also really shocked to receive the call on a Monday because they told us the same thing. Maybe they were playing catch-up and had to meet on a Monday night, too? I interviewed in GR!

Members don't see this ad.

I was also really shocked to receive the call on a Monday because they told us the same thing. Maybe they were playing catch-up and had to meet on a Monday night, too? I interviewed in GR!
Congrats!! I interviewed 10/9 too, but no news. Did they inform you that they reviewed your file a couple of mins before they called you? Now I’m starting to think that I’m either rejected or waitlisted...

Congrats!! I interviewed 10/9 too, but no news. Did they inform you that they reviewed your file a couple of mins before they called you? Now I’m starting to think that I’m either rejected or waitlisted...

Yes, those are the words he used. He called semi-late in the evening, too, so I think it's possible that they're still going over people who interviewed on that day. I think if they made a decision on you that you would have heard, good or bad, so I would hang tight. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today. 517/3.72 complete early August IS

Sounds like they decided to meet on Monday instead of Tuesday so the adcom members could enjoy Halloween.

For those who still haven't heard anything back, what does your portal say?

Application submitted for preliminary review 8/30/2017

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Mine says, "forwarded for preliminary review 07/25/17." I asked because I wasn't sure if there's any status updates between preliminary review and an interview.Thanks!

Mine says, "forwarded for preliminary review 07/25/17." I asked because I wasn't sure if there's any status updates between preliminary review and an interview.Thanks!

Oops mine says "forwarded" as well. I knew it was something along the lines of forwarded or submitted lol. I don't think there is any updates but I'm not 100% sure

Forwarded for review mid August. Nothing. Getting pretty annoyed since I'm already accepted elsewhere but would like to see what this school has to offer.

Forwarded for review mid August. Nothing. Getting pretty annoyed since I'm already accepted elsewhere but would like to see what this school has to offer.

I got rejected from my #1 and haven't heard a peep from anyone. Looking forward to this one.. complete mid/end August and nothing either... I'm sure we will hear soon.. hopefully before we lose our minds

Reactions: 2 users
II today!

Members don't see this ad :)
First II!

I've been stalking all these forums trying to figure out if/when one would come, so here are all the things I wanted to know: LM 72, complete 8/8, ORM, not rural

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted secondary Aug 29 (day before Early Decision deadline) and pure silence since... anyone on the same boat?

I submitted secondary Aug 29 (day before Early Decision deadline) and pure silence since... anyone on the same boat?

Submitted August 4th... had an MCAT score show up on 8/28 so it didn't hit prelim review until 8/30..silence..

Last edited:
We’re not alone then... looks like they send out II on Monday’s, let’s hope for something in the last few weeks before their Christmas break

I was forwarded for review 9/25, just checked my status today and said my application is on hold for comparison to a larger applicant pool, and that an interview decision will be made later on. Is this good or bad? I'm slightly excited even though hold probably means my stats aren't that great, but I'm not sure ah I want to be optimistic but I do not want to be crushed, I really loved their curriculum.

I was forwarded for review 9/25, just checked my status today and said my application is on hold for comparison to a larger applicant pool, and that an interview decision will be made later on. Is this good or bad? I'm slightly excited even though hold probably means my stats aren't that great, but I'm not sure ah I want to be optimistic but I do not want to be crushed, I really loved their curriculum.

I've been forwarded for preliminary review since 8/10 :(

Do you guys see this in your Checklist?... I guess I'm in crickets.

Does anyone have any information about the competitiveness of the special programs? PH, LRM, etc.
If you apply to a special program, does that make it harder or easier to get an acceptance? Does it prioritize or change your application review at all? Just wondering if anyone heard anything on interview day or otherwise....

Does anyone have any information about the competitiveness of the special programs? PH, LRM, etc.
If you apply to a special program, does that make it harder or easier to get an acceptance? Does it prioritize or change your application review at all? Just wondering if anyone heard anything on interview day or otherwise....

Applying to a special program does not increase your chances of acceptance into the school. Competiveness of programs depends on applicants, most likely LRM and LMU will be tougher to get into and PH not so much. If you didn’t apply to the program before the interview, you can ask about applying on your interview day.

The mission of MSU-CHM is partly is about serving the underserved, so while applying to those programs may not matter, you may want your app/interview to feature that component of the mission somewhere.

II via email just now! 1/15 in GR. First II so SO EXCITED!!

Reactions: 4 users
II 1/15 GR campus. Complete mid August.

Anyone received a phone call today or yesterday? I interviewed on 10/23 at GR, so I believe I should hear back either this week or 2 weeks from now. I still haven't heard anything yet. Just hoping the rejection email doesn't come tomorrow..

Accepted via phone call at 20:30!!! I'll see you guys in the fall!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted tonight!!! Interviewed 10/9 - excited to meet you guys :)

Yay! Congrats to you guys who got accepted!!
So.... if you don't get accepted, how soon do you get notified, and how do they notify you?

Accepted around 8:30pm tonight!! Interviewed 10/27 on rural day as well. WOW. It feels good to know that I’ll be returning home for medical school. Excited to meet you all in the fall!!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone received a phone call today or yesterday? I interviewed on 10/23 at GR, so I believe I should hear back either this week or 2 weeks from now. I still haven't heard anything yet. Just hoping the rejection email doesn't come tomorrow..
We must have interviewed together! I hope you hear back good news soon!

Accepted last night! This is my first one... I can't believe I'm going to be a doctor!!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got put on the alternate list today. Does anyone know if they continue to review waitlisted applicants throughout the cycle or do they just review them at the end of the cycle after they are done accepting?

Just got put on the alternate list today. Does anyone know if they continue to review waitlisted applicants throughout the cycle or do they just review them at the end of the cycle after they are done accepting?

Oh bummer. How do you know? Does it state that under your status or did you get an email?

I was reading the entire 2016-2017 thread last night after I didn't hear anything, I was heartbroken. And I have lots of time to ruminate on slow night shifts. Anyways there was a chart shown of number of accepts/number of alternates accepted. In 2013-2014ish it was a lot, but then it was much less the next year. And none last year :-(
But I think it's a totally valid question to ask via email or twitter...
There is also a blog post about this, but from a couple years ago
So You've Been Put On The Waitlist: What's Next?

Last edited:
Oh bummer. How do you know? Does it state that under your status or did you get an email?

I was reading the entire 2016-2017 thread last night after I didn't hear anything, I was heartbroken. And I have lots of time to ruminate on slow night shifts. Anyways there was a chart shown of number of accepts/number of alternates accepted. In 2013-2014ish it was a lot, but then it was much less the next year. And none last year :-(
But I think it's a totally valid question to ask via email or twitter...
There is also a blog post about this, but from a couple years ago
So You've Been Put On The Waitlist: What's Next?

I got an email saying I was placed on the alternate list. Since you didn't hear anything today, then they probably haven't gotten to your file yet. Next decision date is on the 29 I think. Really hoping that there's some waitlist movement this year since MSUCHM is one of my top choices that actually offered me an interview. But it was my first MMI and I was super nervous, so I didn't feel like I did too well and probably the reason why I was waitlisted.

Looking at old threads, I couldn't really find any post-interview rejections. I think they either accept or put them on the alternate list, so I feel like this is basically a rejection. :(

I got an email saying I was placed on the alternate list. Since you didn't hear anything today, then they probably haven't gotten to your file yet. Next decision date is on the 29 I think. Really hoping that there's some waitlist movement this year since MSUCHM is one of my top choices that actually offered me an interview. But it was my first MMI and I was super nervous, so I didn't feel like I did too well and probably the reason why I was waitlisted.

Looking at old threads, I couldn't really find any post-interview rejections. I think they either accept or put them on the alternate list, so I feel like this is basically a rejection. :(
Don't lose hope! I recall Dr Mauer saying that they sent out less interview invites this year specifically so that they can have more movement off the alternate list!

Don't lose hope! I recall Dr Mauer saying that they sent out less interview invites this year specifically so that they can have more movement off the alternate list!

Thanks for encouragement! I really hope that is the case. I just received an acceptance from MSU-COM today, so that made me feel a bit better, but I still really want that MSU-CHM acceptance though.

Thanks for encouragement! I really hope that is the case. I just received an acceptance from MSU-COM today, so that made me feel a bit better, but I still really want that MSU-CHM acceptance though.
Congratulations on your MSUCOM acceptance! Hopefully CHM is on its way!

Is there a facebook group or something, guys?

Just got my pre-II rejection in my spam folder. IS, complete 8/4, LM ~71-72

I know MSU doesn't accept updates, but does anyone know if they accept ITA requests?