2017-2018 Michigan State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete 7/14. Sparty pls

Members don't see this ad.

Have interviews only been given to OOS people so far? Any IS regular MD interviews, yet?

This has been one of the most silent/shortest SDN pages of all my schools haha

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have interviews only been given to OOS people so far? Any IS regular MD interviews, yet?

I'm IS and have an interview soon too

I thought it seemed like there were more IS interview invites so far?

I'm IS regular MD and had my interview last week

I won't speak for the others on here but I for one was blown away on my interview day here! SO excited about this school :soexcited: #gogreen

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 7/14 still says "Forwarded for Preliminary Review" rip the dream?

Reactions: 1 user
Same, complete 7/13. I grew up in the middle of nowhere in northern MI, expressed my interest in rural health, and have everything else they look for and I haven't heard anything. Not even a hold status. Adcoms work in mysterious ways, though it's still quite discouraging seeing them inviting all these OOSers and ignoring us...

It looks like they may be concentrating on high-stat applicants, applicants for the LMU/rural focus programs, and people who went to MSU for undergrad right now so there's still hope for us.

Same, complete 7/13. I grew up in the middle of nowhere in northern MI, expressed my interest in rural health, and have everything else they look for and I haven't heard anything. Not even a hold status. Adcoms work in mysterious ways, though it's still quite discouraging seeing them inviting all these OOSers and ignoring us...
Same dude, I thought I would be a good fit but then they ignore me :(

It looks like they may be concentrating on high-stat applicants, applicants for the LMU/rural focus programs, and people who went to MSU for undergrad right now so there's still hope for us.
I wonder why they are focusing on those right now? Anyone have an idea?

Does the adcom give out holds for interviews, or does the portal retain its "Forwarded for Preliminary Review" until either an invite or decline is given?

I'm so worried about finding out their decision for me esp when there's 3 tier wait-lists. Which is nuts.

I'm so worried about finding out their decision for me esp when there's 3 tier wait-lists. Which is nuts.
woah woah woah.. explain this 3-tier waiting list, please

Rejected today! Complete 7/25. Good Luck to everyone still in the cycle, no news is good news, i REPEAT! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected today by email. LM 66. Canadian, complete 7/14. Good luck to the rest!

Last edited:
Well nevermind about my question a couple days ago, got rejected today lol

Today must have been a rejection day! :(

Rejected today. Good luck everyone!

Rejected today. In state, MSU Alumni, Non-traditional/LMU applicant, 516 MCAT, 3.5 GPA.
This one really hurts. MSUCHM was one of my top choices. After managing 3.8 and 4.0 semesters after a disastrous first year, I had hoped that I could salvage myself as an applicant, and continue my education as a Spartan. I tried my best but it wasn't enough.
GG to all those who got interviews.

on hold. Im really trying not to overanalyze this entire process. But If I was missing a letter of req that they said applicants must have, could this be the reason they put me on hold? Getting this letter is taking a little longer than expected. I thought they would wait, instead of giving me the hold status, if they were interested
Rejected today. In state, MSU Alumni, Non-traditional/LMU applicant, 516 MCAT, 3.5 GPA.
This one really hurts. MSUCHM was one of my top choices. After managing 3.8 and 4.0 semesters after a disastrous first year, I had hoped that I could salvage myself as an applicant, and continue my education as a Spartan. I tried my best but it wasn't enough.
GG to all those who got interviews.
this is probably the saddest rejection i've read, so I want to respond to hopefully help you stay positive. Rejections are definitely tough, especially from dream schools and alma maters, but you have a great MCAT score (and an upward trend GPA) so I really think you have a shot at other medical schools. I think it is impossible to fully understand the review process, but just know that all of us applicants are going through it, and many, many applicants are in a situation (or will be in one) where they are rejected from a medical school that they believe they should have been accepted to based on strong credentials and other qualifications. And honestly many times the applicants really are qualified for that particular medical school, but the competition is just brutal since each medical school receives thousands of applications. I really do not think anyone on the outside really understands how acceptances/rejections are sent, but you have to just trust that the adcoms made the best decision for you. Sometimes attending a medical school in a place other than your undergraduate institution can allow you to grow and meet new amazing people. Regardless, you will be accepted and you will be a doctor in the end, as long as you don't give up, so keep your head up.

Reactions: 8 users
I have terrible stats but a strong application regarding clinic experience and LORs, I have been placed on hold. Is this because they dont want to review my app now or because they reviewed it and are kinda interested in me?

How often do people get rejected vs placed on hold?

I have terrible stats but a strong application regarding clinic experience and LORs, I have been placed on hold. Is this because they dont want to review my app now or because they reviewed it and are kinda interested in me?

if you were placed on hold, that means they've already reviewed your app. They haven't rejected you because they are interested, but they aren't sure yet about offering an interview. They will keep comparing you to the greater applicant pool in the meantime

Did you find out your hold status via email or the portal? Also, if you don't mind sharing when was your app complete?

Anyone know about ABLE program? Does anyone know who, when, and how many are invited to this?

Anyone know about ABLE program? Does anyone know who, when, and how many are invited to this?
ABLE is only a post-interview decision, I believe. I think they make these decisions late in the cycle some time in the spring. Not sure how many are invited though.

ABLE is decided post interview. They said students are accepted around April/May and it is an automatic seat to MSUCHM the following year after completing the 1 year program.

Can anyone comment on how your one-on-one with a current student went? Is it open/closed file? I feel prepared for MMI but one-on-ones are a different story haha. My interview is this month. Thanks in advance.

Can anyone comment on how your one-on-one with a current student went? Is it open/closed file? I feel prepared for MMI but one-on-ones are a different story haha. My interview is this month. Thanks in advance.
The student interview is really nothing to be worried about. It was very casual and laid back! If I remember correctly they have your file but not your metrics or LOR.

Hi everyone! I got an II on 9/21, complete on 7/24. Does anyone know if MSU hold interviews only at the Grand Rapids campus? Or are interview locations randomly assigned to interviewees? I am actually closer to East Lansing and don't remember filling out a campus preference form for this school.

Hi everyone! I got an II on 9/21, complete on 7/24. Does anyone know if MSU hold interviews only at the Grand Rapids campus? Or are interview locations randomly assigned to interviewees? I am actually closer to East Lansing and don't remember filling out a campus preference form for this school.
They do them at both! Alternate every week I believe. I was initially assigned to Grand Rapids, but I couldn't make that date. So I'm pretty sure I indicated that on the portal, and was then emailed three alternates to pick from. I picked the EL campus

They do them at both! Alternate every week I believe. I was initially assigned to Grand Rapids, but I couldn't make that date. So I'm pretty sure I indicated that on the portal, and was then emailed three alternates to pick from. I picked the EL campus

Oh I should've asked before confirming. That probably would've saved me the hotel cost. But owell. Thanks!