2017-2018 Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did you also get limited dates for interview?
Yeah, they offered 3-4 dates I believe. However they noted you can contact them if those dates don't work.

Members don't see this ad.

For those with II's, have you all tried signing up for the student host program? The website they have doesn't have any available student hosts listed yet, and I was wondering if someone knows when the list comes out.

For those with II's, have you all tried signing up for the student host program? The website they have doesn't have any available student hosts listed yet, and I was wondering if someone knows when the list comes out.
OMG you got 10 II already? Congrats! That's so cool! Do you have some really special experiences?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS ON THE II's!!!

I'm sorry for the spammy post in the school specific threads :( - but I wanted to plug my interview invite tracker! If you haven't seen it, I'm compiling data on the current application cycle to reproduce planeblue's exercise (Planeblue's Interview Invite Tracker) and get some info on GPA/MCAT, IS/OOS, and URM/ORM for those receiving invites. Maybe we can use it to help future applicants build better school lists!

If you'd like to add info on your interview invite to Dartmouth and any others and haven't already, fill out the Google Form here - 2017/18 MD Interview Invite Tracker

You can find the responses and various summaries in my sig!

If you have already - a tremendous thanks to you!

Also, for those who haven't received an II yet - hang in there! It is still incredibly early and there are plenty more invites coming our way!

Reactions: 1 users
So, how rural/isolated is Dartmouth really? Also, hows the social life in Hanover, is there much to do besides outdoors-type stuff? I'm have second thoughts about applying here because of this even though my stats are right in line for this school. Anyone have any input?

Thank you! I was not expecting this much love at this point in the game tbh.

YOU have some really special experiences! You heard it here first everyone, @enchantediris is the future!

What experiences are setting you apart so much? And congrats on the crazy number of invites.

So, how rural/isolated is Dartmouth really? Also, hows the social life in Hanover, is there much to do besides outdoors-type stuff? I'm have second thoughts about applying here because of this even though my stats are right in line for this school. Anyone have any input?

Do street view of the town. It'll give you a pretty good idea of size. What do you consider your essentials to be for a place you want to live?

The town itself certainly is small - it's a college town after all. I would say that most of the social life is with your classmates - either having a large house party, hanging out at someone's home, or going out to one of the bars in town or grabbing food...or studying together at the library lol. Obviously there's the outdoors stuff that you mentioned which is great (I'm not really into hiking but I like running outdoors and snowboarding) but this is certainly not the place to go to if you want the feel of a city bar or club. If you're ok with reserving that for weekends, though - Boston is 2 hours away and plenty of people travel there on the weekends for that exact reason.

OMG you got 10 II already? Congrats! That's so cool! Do you have some really special experiences?
Just to respond generally, for II's at Dartmouth, (at least last year) your app is initially reviewed by two people on the admissions committee and if both want to interview you, you get an interview, if 1 says yay and the other says nay, you get re-evaluated a little later on by more members to decide, and then if both say nay, you don't get an interview. So you don't necessarily need really special experiences, you just need to be interesting enough that 2 people will say "hmm...I want to meet her or him and learn more about them."

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
The town itself certainly is small - it's a college town after all. I would say that most of the social life is with your classmates - either having a large house party, hanging out at someone's home, or going out to one of the bars in town or grabbing food...or studying together at the library lol. Obviously there's the outdoors stuff that you mentioned which is great (I'm not really into hiking but I like running outdoors and snowboarding) but this is certainly not the place to go to if you want the feel of a city bar or club. If you're ok with reserving that for weekends, though - Boston is 2 hours away and plenty of people travel there on the weekends for that exact reason.

Just to respond generally, for II's at Dartmouth, (at least last year) your app is initially reviewed by two people on the admissions committee and if both want to interview you, you get an interview, if 1 says yay and the other says nay, you get re-evaluated a little later on by more members to decide, and then if both say nay, you don't get an interview. So you don't necessarily need really special experiences, you just need to be interesting enough that 2 people will say "hmm...I want to meet her or him and learn more about them."

That actually sounds like a pretty good way to do it.

CONGRATS ON THE II's!!!

I'm sorry for the spammy post in the school specific threads :( - but I wanted to plug my interview invite tracker! If you haven't seen it, I'm compiling data on the current application cycle to reproduce planeblue's exercise (Planeblue's Interview Invite Tracker) and get some info on GPA/MCAT, IS/OOS, and URM/ORM for those receiving invites. Maybe we can use it to help future applicants build better school lists!

If you'd like to add info on your interview invite to Dartmouth and any others and haven't already, fill out the Google Form here - 2017/18 MD Interview Invite Tracker

You can find the responses and various summaries in my sig!

If you have already - a tremendous thanks to you!

Also, for those who haven't received an II yet - hang in there! It is still incredibly early and there are plenty more invites coming our way!
:spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

(First post ever woo). I submitted and was marked complete on July 27, but I noticed that I was charged today for the secondary fee. Did this happen to anybody else?

Members don't see this ad :)
(First post ever woo). I submitted and was marked complete on July 27, but I noticed that I was charged today for the secondary fee. Did this happen to anybody else?

Yes me too (August 6th or so to yesterday). Haven't heard anything either way.

Lol so this happened to me too and because I want to go here more than I've ever wanted anything else, I panicked. It took me three days of phone calls with my bank for them to explain that Dartmouth and other smaller colleges only collect from their credit accounts a few times a month. So I submitted on the 18th of July and didn't get charged until the second week of August. The bank said not to worry, and so did the admissions office when I asked them so I think we're good.

Lol so this happened to me too and because I want to go here more than I've ever wanted anything else, I panicked. It took me three days of phone calls with my bank for them to explain that Dartmouth and other smaller colleges only collect from their credit accounts a few times a month. So I submitted on the 18th of July and didn't get charged until the second week of August. The bank said not to worry, and so did the admissions office when I asked them so I think we're good.

Interesting! Thanks for the heads up.

what did you write about for your secondaries? not sure how to attack the first question, would love your input:)

Why do people even put URM or ORM or whatever in their signatures if it doesn't factor into admissions?

Of course it factors in admissions. Quite a lot from what I've seen. There is a reason behind that.

The comment didn't upset me! But I've seen similar ones upset others.

Are you URM??!?!?!?!? 12 II?!?!?!?!?

Well.... Is he wrong?

It's not necessarily true. I know of at least two other applicants this cycle with ~10 interviews who are not URM. They do have high stats, interesting experiences, and were very much on the ball in submitting secondaries. Thus, they have received lots of love so far!

I also feel like the assumption is unnecessarily insulting because it implies that the major factor in @pramsotingz 's success is URM status. I had the pleasure of trading work and activities descriptions with him and he has done some truly extraordinary things in college. It's enough to make anyone stand out.

I know that medical school applications are stressful (I am certainly feeling it), but we're all in this together. :) Please don't diminish someone else's accomplishments in order to make yourself feel better... I think that brings us all down.

Reactions: 11 users
I was merely asking. Not trying to be insulting or make myself feel better or anything, lmao. (If I wanted to make myself feel better, I would probably go play with my cat or work out) I was truly shocked someone got 10+ interviews in August.

That's the problem with Affirmative Action!! I actually think AA hurts minorities more than it helps them. But that's a different argument for a different day.

Reactions: 5 users
It's not necessarily true. I know of at least two other applicants this cycle with ~10 interviews who are not URM. They do have high stats, interesting experiences, and were very much on the ball in submitting secondaries. Thus, they have received lots of love so far!

I also feel like the assumption is unnecessarily insulting because it implies that the major factor in @pramsotingz 's success is URM status. I had the pleasure of trading work and activities descriptions with him and he has done some truly extraordinary things in college. It's enough to make anyone stand out.

I know that medical school applications are stressful (I am certainly feeling it), but we're all in this together. :) Please don't diminish someone else's accomplishments in order to make yourself feel better... I think that brings us all down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was merely asking. Not trying to be insulting or make myself feel better or anything, lmao. (If I wanted to make myself feel better, I would probably go play with my cat or work out) I was truly shocked someone got 10+ interviews in August.

That's the problem with Affirmative Action!! I actually think AA hurts minorities more than it helps them. But that's a different argument for a different day.

Wow, I'm sorry for misinterpreting your post! I guess Tone doesn't always translate over the internet. I completely agree :)

Does anyone know if they're flexible at all on the biochem requirement? I decided to add an application to Dartmouth because I heard they were especially friendly to non-trads but I never took biochem. Now that I've filled out the secondary it won't even let me submit if I don't have something in the biochem area of the required courses. I took what were then the standard MCAT courses in undergrad but biochem wasn't on the MCAT back then. I think it's odd they only want half a year of orgo...maybe they would take the second semester of orgo in lieu of biochem? Also, I got a 132 on the bio/biochem section of the MCAT so maybe I can argue not having biochem won't be a problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

Does anyone know if they're flexible at all on the biochem requirement? I decided to add an application to Dartmouth because I heard they were especially friendly to non-trads but I never took biochem. Now that I've filled out the secondary it won't even let me submit if I don't have something in the biochem area of the required courses. I took what were then the standard MCAT courses in undergrad but biochem wasn't on the MCAT back then. I think it's odd they only want half a year of orgo...maybe they would take the second semester of orgo in lieu of biochem? Also, I got a 132 on the bio/biochem section of the MCAT so maybe I can argue not having biochem won't be a problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

You should call their office. They're really friendly and will get back to you within 24 hours if it's a question they cant answer without consulting the dean

I think the only people able to answer this question will be their admissions committee.

OK I'll give that a shot, thanks.
I contacted the admissions office about this, they seemed pretty strict on the requirement, but they will accept post-baccs if you are planning on doing that this year to satisfy the requirement.

I contacted the admissions office about this, they seemed pretty strict on the requirement, but they will accept post-baccs if you are planning on doing that this year to satisfy the requirement.
Hmm...well I'll see what they say and if they won't bend I guess I won't bother submitting the secondary. I'm not doing a post-bac for it. I'm non-trad and wasn't pre-med in college but I took the standard pre-medical courses of the time. Actually, there are two universities near where I currently live that have career-changer-type post-bac programs with linkages to top-notch programs and biochemistry isn't even part of their curricula.

Hmm...well I'll see what they say and if they won't bend I guess I won't bother submitting the secondary. I'm not doing a post-bac for it. I'm non-trad and wasn't pre-med in college but I took the standard pre-medical courses of the time. Actually, there are two universities near where I currently live that have career-changer-type post-bac programs with linkages to top-notch programs and biochemistry isn't even part of their curricula.

I would be shocked if they cared. Im confident that they would give an exemption for such circumstances.

Like someone said, your best bet is to call them. The new dean of admissions really loves non traditional applicants (seems like more so than even in the past) so there's a chance but no one knows how much they'll bend the rules. You don't need to do a post bac but they may say you need to take a single biochem course at a local school or something like that prior to matriculating.

Biochem is mostly emphasized during first year and certainly having taken it prior to med school made life a lot more manageable as I at least had a good grasp of one class as I got bombarded with new information from other classes like anatomy and physiology. Also, you'd be surprised how much biochem is actually on your step I exam so while you can get through just fine without learning prior to med school, it's certainly not a bad thing to know early on. Either way, I hope it works out for you!

Like someone said, your best bet is to call them. The new dean of admissions really loves non traditional applicants (seems like more so than even in the past) so there's a chance but no one knows how much they'll bend the rules. You don't need to do a post bac but they may say you need to take a single biochem course at a local school or something like that prior to matriculating.

Biochem is mostly emphasized during first year and certainly having taken it prior to med school made life a lot more manageable as I at least had a good grasp of one class as I got bombarded with new information from other classes like anatomy and physiology. Also, you'd be surprised how much biochem is actually on your step I exam so while you can get through just fine without learning prior to med school, it's certainly not a bad thing to know early on. Either way, I hope it works out for you!

I don't think it's an unreasonable requirement honestly and I definitely see the utility in having taken it before medical school. But reasonable or not, I haven't taken it so unless they make an exception I won't be able to apply there. Somehow this wasn't a problem at the 19 other schools I applied to.

someone said the status didn't change despite receiving an II
Yeah my portal didn't change. Interview scheduling and confirmation is all done by email.

There's no word limit for the secondary app right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II! Trad, OOS, Complete Late July, LM 67
congrats!! you seem to be having a great app cycle so far :) i'm also trad, OOS, LM 67 and complete late july. i hope it's not too late for me to get II.

Rejected. Was one of my top choices. Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is Geisel one of those schools that likes non-trads? Can anyone who is in the class or applying here comment on their average age? Also, does Geisel prefer their own alumni?