2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
really random question but why do you guys think Dartmouth is ranked so low?

If you look at the methodology of the research rankings, it's heavily based on research activity, which is broken down into total NIH activity and NIH activity per faculty member. Each year US News keeps upping how heavily it weights this category. Dartmouth is a small school; it's by far the smallest of the Ivies, and while other Ivy Leagues really live by the "Those who can't do, teach" motto, the faculty at Dartmouth are there because they are primarily interested in teaching. These characteristics hurt Dartmouth's rank when fed into this kind of algorithm.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/medical-schools-methodology

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get a heart attack today regarding the "interview day feedback" e-mail? I interviewed mid-Feb for context. Are people thinking we may hear back this week, or wait until next week?

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else get a heart attack today regarding the "interview day feedback" e-mail? I interviewed mid-Feb for context. Are people thinking we may hear back this week, or wait until next week?

Considering second look is next Friday I am hoping for this week

I've penciled in the first of Neveruary, personally.

Reactions: 11 users
It seems like acceptances have gone out mostly on Fridays .....right? Maybe we’ll hear tomorrow

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted - interview March 21st. Excited and hoping to get my financial package before the 15th. Decisions decisions. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone who interviewed early in the season and not heard back yet tried calling the admissions office for an update? They told us we would hear in March and... well... it's April lol

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone who interviewed early in the season and not heard back yet tried calling the admissions office for an update? They told us we would hear in March and... well... it's April lol

I think the majority of us are still in the dark unfortunately. I thought today was going to be the day.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Really thought we would hear today. This wait is killer.

Reactions: 8 users
I emailed them because I was also told March and they said that their last admissions committee meeting was yesterday and that we will know by April 15th.

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed them because I was also told March and they said that their last admissions committee meeting was yesterday and that we will know by April 15th.

So Game of Thrones AND Dartmouth next week?

• Haha

but do you think all of the acceptances have been given out and april 15th will be only WL and R news?

but do you think all of the acceptances have been given out and april 15th will be only WL and R news?

Yea if this week was their last committee meeting why would they wait to hand out acceptances? I might be being a pessimist, but I took no news as a silent rejection today...

I mean, probably, is my guess.

Overall, hearing back about initial decisions this late is pretty unprofessional, in my opinion. We have to narrow down to 3 medical schools based on traffic rules by April 15th and a large factor that I consider is financial aid. I can't imagine that they would inform me of both my financial aid package and a potential acceptance before April 15th. And they know this, so yeah. I am assuming it is probably WL or Rs next week.

Of course, I say this with the hope that I am wrong, but you know...

I mean, probably, is my guess.

Overall, hearing back about initial decisions this late is pretty unprofessional, in my opinion. We have to narrow down to 3 medical schools based on traffic rules by April 15th and a large factor that I consider is financial aid. I can't imagine that they would inform me of both my financial aid package and a potential acceptance before April 15th. And they know this, so yeah. I am assuming it is probably WL or Rs next week.

Of course, I say this with the hope that I am wrong, but you know...

If I get a waitlist next week I will be spicy. I’ve waiting since October o_O

Reactions: 1 user
d1c9eacae6968ea4fb00470952927d41.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
dang interviewed on the last day and really thought today would be the day... they got me good

IS TODAY THE DAY?!

It seems as if acceptances went out on Fridays

there have been some on Mondays, too. Last year the last round of decisions before second look went out on a Monday, and then the Rs came the Tuesday after second look weekend. not that I've been reading all the old threads or anything...

there have been some on Mondays, too. Last year the last round of decisions before second look went out on a Monday, and then the Rs came the Tuesday after second look weekend. not that I've been reading all the old threads or anything...
good to know. Do you know when second look weekend is?

I think if you interviewed late March, it is safe to say you will not be attending second look due to how close your interview was.

Not necessarily! Someone asked this on my interview day in late March. The answer was "yes and no"-- as in, if you are getting a "yes" you'll know before second look, but you would have to live in the area in order to make making plans for second look feasible

I just saw this thread on reddit

What are your guys' thoughts? Does the high tuition turn you off or do you think it's justified?

Do you think we will hear back from Dartmouth this week? I've been left in the dark since November lol not much time left

Seems like there will be two last waves on the 12th and 19th based on last year's thread

I'm pulling for an upset folks. Making the bold call that people will be accepted tomorrow, with my logic mostly being that they have an outside shot of attending second look on Friday (or at least I think it's Friday?).

I just saw this thread on reddit

What are your guys' thoughts? Does the high tuition turn you off or do you think it's justified?

That’s terrible, everyone withdraw except for me. That’ll show em

Reactions: 4 users
I'm pulling for an upset folks. Making the bold call that people will be accepted tomorrow, with my logic mostly being that they have an outside shot of attending second look on Friday (or at least I think it's Friday?).

I’m putting my money on your wisdom pooppooppoop