2017-2018 Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applicant here too. I personally think that already talking about MD/PhD might raise the question of why you don't just apply to MSTP programs right now. I guess imo the strongest MD/PhD applicants are not the strongest MD applicants and vice versa, so why cause confusion for the reader? It's fine to talk about research and wanting to do clinically relevant research bc plenty of MDs in academic medicine do that in their careers, but maybe hold off on mentioning the PhD just yet. My two cents.

I'm not addressing my desire to switch into an md/phd, but rather projects a few Dartmouth MD's and PhDs are working on that I would like to get involved with. They're related to my current research and Dartmouth has a nice center dedicated to that subject.

Members don't see this ad.

Think its okay to not submit a picture? I know it says 'optional' but I am always weary. I am ready to submit today but had a major allergy flare so my nose is red and I look really sick, so I want to wait a couple days to take a picture?

Thoughts?

Think its okay to not submit a picture? I know it says 'optional' but I am always weary. I am ready to submit today but had a major allergy flare so my nose is red and I look really sick, so I want to wait a couple days to take a picture?

Thoughts?

If you think it might be better by tomorrow night or Monday AM, I think you can wait. There isn't going to be any movement over the weekend anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what to do for entering AP credit in the secondary app? I don't get semester hours for it but it's on my transcript so can I just write AP in that space?

edit: submitted! I just entered it and wrote N/A for credit hours. Will call admissions office tomorrow to double-check I did this correctly.

Did you get an answer about it? I also got AP credit for 3 General Biology courses, which are specifically listed out on my transcript, but only 8 units, which translates to 2 courses on the quarter system. E-mailed them last week, but haven't heard back.

I noticed someone recv'd email of completion already... I submitted 7/3 (realizing now it's only been a week, but still...) and I haven't been completed yet. I've triple checked and I designated my LOR to Geisel on AMCAS. Idk, just seems slow and I figured I'd ask if anyone else was still waiting for completion due to LOR?

The panic level is about a 0.5 out of 10 - just curious about others' status

I noticed someone recv'd email of completion already... I submitted 7/3 (realizing now it's only been a week, but still...) and I haven't been completed yet. I've triple checked and I designated my LOR to Geisel on AMCAS. Idk, just seems slow and I figured I'd ask if anyone else was still waiting for completion due to LOR?

The panic level is about a 0.5 out of 10 - just curious about others' status

I received a complete email shortly after submitting the secondary and paying the application fee.

Edit: Ack, I'm sorry I didn't completely read your post before replying! Hope they mark your letters as received soon :)

Thank you for submitting your application materials to The Geisel School of Medicine. Your file is now complete, and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for review.

Due to the large number of applications and the care taken in the reading of each file, our process at Geisel can be a lengthy one. Please be assured that we will contact you by e-mail as soon as a decision has been made about your candidacy. It is therefore very important that you keep your mailing and e-mail addresses current in AMCAS throughout the application cycle.

The Geisel School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
3 Rope Ferry Road
Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 650-1505

I received a complete email shortly after submitting the secondary and paying the application fee.

Edit: Ack, I'm sorry I didn't completely read your post before replying! Hope they mark your letters as received soon :)

The email I received from them immediately after submitting (just went back and checked) said "Please allow at least three weeks for confirmation of materials submitted to our office after the date that you have submitted your secondary application" So I'll chill and raise panic level when week 3 is reached, heh. My fault for not designating letters until time of submission... I have this irrational fear each school will send 2ndary info with different LOR requirements (I did say it was irrational), so I've been waiting to designate them on AMCAS.

The email I received from them immediately after submitting (just went back and checked) said "Please allow at least three weeks for confirmation of materials submitted to our office after the date that you have submitted your secondary application" So I'll chill and raise panic level when week 3 is reached, heh. My fault for not designating letters until time of submission... I have this irrational fear each school will send 2ndary info with different LOR requirements (I did say it was irrational), so I've been waiting to designate them on AMCAS.

They do seem to emphasize how much time everything might take, don't they? :p

Reactions: 1 user
In regards to the delay in my app's completion, I called/emailed the admissions office and asked about it. I discovered there's a reason for it other than "It might take us three weeks so just wait." Others might run into similar situation, so I thought I'd share.

I submitted so many LOR (more than min requirement of 2) and AMCAS has all of them, but one. I presume most might already have all of their letters in AMCAS, but I indicated one at Geisel from a physician I'm currently working with this summer, and I won't receive his letter until later in August. Apparently at Geisel SOM, you are only considered complete when the school has all of the letters you've indicated. Thus, although I've submitted more letters than the minimum requirement, they were not going to consider my application complete until all indicated letters were in.

When I emailed asking if I could proceed my application despite the lack of the letter, this is the response I received:

You have met our required letter. We wait until we have received what you indicate you want us to have. If you want us to move forward we can, and there is always the chance that the other letter will arrive before your file is reviewed. They won’t go back to review it however, if a decision has been made and then the letter arrives. The choice is yours.

By the way, I spoke with Deana (Office Manager) on the phone, and this is the same person that emailed me. Very pleasant!! :)

At other schools, they've marked me complete as long as I had the minimum requirement of letters, so I wasn't aware I'd run into this applying at Geisel. I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or something unique about Geisel SOM admissions, but I figured I'd share. On to completion!

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2017-2018 academic year. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected]

In regards to this question, do you think I can copy and paste part of my description from my primary app if I am continuing to work at my job?

MS4 here - I'll be checking this thread periodically and will do my best to answer any questions

MS4 here - I'll be checking this thread periodically and will do my best to answer any questions
I've got a few softballs for you.

1) How is life in New Haven?
2) Dartmouth has a reputation for valuing nontrads. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
3) Does the administration seem to value student opinions/feedback?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a few softballs for you.

1) How is life in New Haven?
2) Dartmouth has a reputation for valuing nontrads. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
3) Does the administration seem to value student opinions/feedback?

Thanks in advance!
1) I think you mean New Hampshire - might wanna take a quick look at your secondaries to make sure you didn't make that mistake in there too :p
I actually enjoy it up here a lot for several reasons. One - I found myself not very distracted while studying during my first two years because it's more isolated but if I wanted to get out of Hanover, it was really easy to go visit friends down in Boston since it's a two hour ride. Also, I really like the college town feel and I went to a school very similar to Dartmouth for undergrad. During 1st and 2nd year when you have more free time (or I guess a more flexible schedule), it's a fantastic area to get out and do some hiking, swimming, running. Plus, I know that I'm most likely going to end up in a city for residency and probably the rest of my career so now was a nice time to get away from that and really focus on studying medicine.

2) Most certainly. I'm not sure exactly why Dartmouth does this so much more than other schools but they definitely do like having non-traditional students with unique backgrounds aka careers outside of medicine for >5 years before deciding to come to med school. Definitely is cool to learn about their backstories and it enriches the class as whole IMO. That being said, I think every med school has that to a certain extent.

3) I think they do but honestly, I'm not sure if it's much different than other schools. There are curriculum changes occurring largely because of feedback from students. Different admin people handle different years in school (aka 1st year vs 2nd year vs 3rd year clinic) so it may vary year to year but overall, I think they have been receptive. For example, I'm not sure if it's permanent, but they were definitely responsive to students wanting more Step I study time as this past year it was 7/8 weeks compared to 5 weeks previously. Also, 4 MS2's are voting members on the admission committee with other students able to help conduct interviews and attend admission committee meetings.

Reactions: 2 users
1) I think you mean New Hampshire - might wanna take a quick look at your secondaries to make sure you didn't make that mistake in there too :p
I actually enjoy it up here a lot for several reasons. One - I found myself not very distracted while studying during my first two years because it's more isolated but if I wanted to get out of Hanover, it was really easy to go visit friends down in Boston since it's a two hour ride. Also, I really like the college town feel and I went to a school very similar to Dartmouth for undergrad. During 1st and 2nd year when you have more free time (or I guess a more flexible schedule), it's a fantastic area to get out and do some hiking, swimming, running. Plus, I know that I'm most likely going to end up in a city for residency and probably the rest of my career so now was a nice time to get away from that and really focus on studying medicine.

2) Most certainly. I'm not sure exactly why Dartmouth does this so much more than other schools but they definitely do like having non-traditional students with unique backgrounds aka careers outside of medicine for >5 years before deciding to come to med school. Definitely is cool to learn about their backstories and it enriches the class as whole IMO. That being said, I think every med school has that to a certain extent.

3) I think they do but honestly, I'm not sure if it's much different than other schools. There are curriculum changes occurring largely because of feedback from students. Different admin people handle different years in school (aka 1st year vs 2nd year vs 3rd year clinic) so it may vary year to year but overall, I think they have been receptive. For example, I'm not sure if it's permanent, but they were definitely responsive to students wanting more Step I study time as this past year it was 7/8 weeks compared to 5 weeks previously. Also, 4 MS2's are voting members on the admission committee with other students able to help conduct interviews and attend admission committee meetings.
Definitely meant New Hampshire LOL

Thanks for the detailed answers, sounds like a great school, and you rock!

What character/word range would you guys suggest on having when writing your essays?

Secondary done and waiting on one more letter writer. Good luck everyone!

They ask for half a year of Biochem. Would a quarter at a 4 year university satisfy? Or does it have to be 2 quarters? Anyone knows?

They ask for half a year of Biochem. Would a quarter at a 4 year university satisfy? Or does it have to be 2 quarters? Anyone knows?
Seems like it would depend on how many units you earned, since they describe the half-year Calc/Stats requirement as "3 semester hours or equivalent." So if you took a 5-unit course on the quarter system, that would do it, but a 4-unit or 3-unit course might not be enough.

Seems like it would depend on how many units you earned, since they describe the half-year Calc/Stats requirement as "3 semester hours or equivalent." So if you took a 5-unit course on the quarter system, that would do it, but a 4-unit or 3-unit course might not be enough.
I see, makes sense. Thanks a lot

WARNING for those that pre-wrote and are copy-and-pasting from TextEdit. The online secondary platform DELETED all the apostrophes from the text I copy-and-pasted into the spaced provided. I wrote a few paragraphs for each answer, didn't check the fine details before submitting, and because my secondary incurred three grammar errors, I can bid any chance I had for Dartmouth a painful goodbye. I emailed the admissions office because I had nothing to lose, hopefully they can fix this for future applicants.

I implore you to check check check what your text looks like in the spaces provided for the GSOM online secondary platform - I take full responsibility for my mistake, but wanted to pass this along to all of you: check your apostrophes!!

Good luck everyone!

WARNING for those that pre-wrote and are copy-and-pasting from TextEdit. The online secondary platform DELETED all the apostrophes from the text I copy-and-pasted into the spaced provided. I wrote a few paragraphs for each answer, didn't check the fine details before submitting, and because my secondary incurred three grammar errors, I can bid any chance I had for Dartmouth a painful goodbye. I emailed the admissions office because I had nothing to lose, hopefully they can fix this for future applicants.

I implore you to check check check what your text looks like in the spaces provided for the GSOM online secondary platform - I take full responsibility for my mistake, but wanted to pass this along to all of you: check your apostrophes!!

Good luck everyone!

You're alright. Dartmouth will respond to your email like they did to mine regarding the exact same problem about the apostrophes and say that they are aware of the software program and the Adcoms are also aware of it. It's a nothing burger.

Good luck everyone!
I think you ought to calm down, 3 small grammatical errors are not grounds for "bidding away your chances" for attending Dartmouth. Being melodramatic is not going to help anything! You're going to be fine. I had the same issue and I assumed everyone else would as well. Which turned out to be true.

You're alright. Dartmouth will respond to your email like they did to mine regarding the exact same problem about the apostrophes and say that they are aware of the software program and the Adcoms are also aware of it. It's a nothing burger.
I did get a response from them, they told me not to worry about it. :) Best of luck to you.

I think you ought to calm down, 3 small grammatical errors are not grounds for "bidding away your chances" for attending Dartmouth. Being melodramatic is not going to help anything! You're going to be fine. I had the same issue and I assumed everyone else would as well. Which turned out to be true.

I'm glad to hear that others had the same experience, and that it is not big deal - It can be a struggle to not worry about every detail and perfection in this process, but you're right! All will work out, thanks for the encouragement. Best of luck to you!

I'm glad to hear that others had the same experience, and that it is not big deal - It can be a struggle to not worry about every detail and perfection in this process, but you're right! All will work out, thanks for the encouragement. Best of luck to you!
I really hope everything works out for the best for you!!

I'm thinking of putting my diversity essay in, but I'm not sure which one would be better for Dartmouth. I have one that talks about cultural diversity, and another on intellectual diversity (like how would you fit into the class).

I Just noticed a minor grammatical error in my submission and so I naturally consulted my inner optimist to calm my neuroses.
Inner optimist: "Don't worry, you never had a chance to begin with."

Reactions: 14 users
SOME of my quotation marks along with apostrophes went missing after I submitted... I know it's a software error because I saved the PDF view of the page right before I hit the submit button, and I can still see all my 's and "s. But on my submitted PDF version, some of them have magically disappeared! It made the flow of my essay very strange; I had some short dialogues in my essays... lol so sad....

Last edited:
FWIW, knowing the people on the admissions committee, if they find what you're writing to be interesting and they like the rest of your application, they won't care about a few grammatical mistakes - it's not going to make or break an II. Good luck to everyone!

My research mentor did her post doc at dartmouth and they have a whole center dedicated to my research interests. I talk about that in the interest essay and name drop her, her mentor at dartmouth, and some faculty I am interested in working with. Is this a bad or good idea?

I'm also interested in potentially switching into an md/phd, idk if I should talk about that or not.

I think mentioning particular faculty and research centers at Dartmouth is good idea because it would show admissions that you are really interested in Dartmouth. I don't think you should mention anything about MD/PhD. They will wonder why you are not just applying MD/PhD, or worse, they may think that you are applying MD/PhD at everywhere else and that MD/PhD is your first priority for type of program you would like. I have heard of people trying to get into top MD programs even though they would prefer MD/PhD. Since MD/PhD are harder to get into, they settle for MD only, but this is not something you want med schools to know about in my opinion. Just my thoughts on it. I am going to be a first year at Geisel so I don't know much yet.

I think mentioning particular faculty and research centers at Dartmouth is good idea because it would show admissions that you are really interested in Dartmouth. I don't think you should mention anything about MD/PhD. They will wonder why you are not just applying MD/PhD, or worse, they may think that you are applying MD/PhD at everywhere else and that MD/PhD is your first priority for type of program you would like. I have heard of people trying to get into top MD programs even though they would prefer MD/PhD. Since MD/PhD are harder to get into, they settle for MD only, but this is not something you want med schools to know about in my opinion. Just my thoughts on it. I am going to be a first year at Geisel so I don't know much yet.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure if mentioning my current research mentor and mentioning some people I would like to work with would sound pretentious or not. I'll go ahead and do that. I'm submitting my secondary today!

I Just noticed a minor grammatical error in my submission and so I naturally consulted my inner optimist to calm my neuroses.
Inner optimist: "Don't worry, you never had a chance to begin with."
I accidentally put my last name in both the middle name and last name box (thank Chrome auto-fill) so at least you don't have an entirely different person applying in your place.

MSTP Still havent received secondary?? Complete w/ letters by 07/06 and verified 06/23??

Anyone using an adversity essay here? I kind of want to combine and adversity and a diversity essay I wrote for another school. Thoughts?

Anyone using an adversity essay here? I kind of want to combine and adversity and a diversity essay I wrote for another school. Thoughts?

Make sure it answers the question. Is it honest and about yourself? Is it addressed nowhere else in your application? Would be helpful to the Admissions Committee as they review your file? If all three criteria are met, it'll work.

Make sure it answers the question. Is it honest and about yourself? Is it addressed nowhere else in your application? Would be helpful to the Admissions Committee as they review your file? If all three criteria are met, it'll work.

Word. It meets all three. One thing I'm concerned about is the adversity essay is fairly vulnerable. Maybe it's a little much to expose if not specifically prompted to talk about adversity. Hmmmmm.

Anybody else not actually have their card get charged when they submitted? I got a receipt and my file says it's complete with payment received but I was never charged. It's been about a week. Should I be concerned?

Anybody else not actually have their card get charged when they submitted? I got a receipt and my file says it's complete with payment received but I was never charged. It's been about a week. Should I be concerned?
If you got the complete email I'd say you're fine

Complete! Submitted my secondary yesterday, my LORs from AMCAS this morning, got the email a few hours later saying everything has been received. Good luck, all!

Omgosh just noticing that the apostrophes and commas are gone in my secondary after I submitted in early July! What should I do?!

Omgosh just noticing that the apostrophes and commas are gone in my secondary after I submitted in early July! What should I do?!
Nothing needs to be done. It's a glitch in their system. Many people have emailed/called already. The admissions office said they are aware of it and it doesn't matter. Bottom line: don't worry, be happy!

Reactions: 1 users
For everyone who received a "file complete" email, what does your portal say? Does it say "Your secondary application has been received and is in process"?

For everyone who received a "file complete" email, what does your portal say? Does it say "Your secondary application has been received and is in process"?
No... It has three green dots, and next to them, the different parts of the application:
"We have received your Geisel Secondary Application."
"We have received your application fee. Thank you!"
"The Geisel School participates in the AMCAS letter service.
AMCAS indicates that they received your letter(s) of evaluation and sent them to the Geisel School."

No... It has three green dots, and next to them, the different parts of the application:
"We have received your Geisel Secondary Application."
"We have received your application fee. Thank you!"
"The Geisel School participates in the AMCAS letter service.
AMCAS indicates that they received your letter(s) of evaluation and sent them to the Geisel School."
Right yeah but I mean on the page before that when you first login

Right yeah but I mean on the page before that when you first login
Oh, you're absolutely right. Yes, it does say, "Your secondary application has been received and is in process."