2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary plz?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted primary a couple days ago and received secondary the next day. OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone try to reply to the secondary confirmation received by Dr. Neelands? I received an email saying address not found from the Gmail mail delivery system. Weird as I never changed the email, just clicked "reply".
Mine bounced back as she was no longer available so I emailed both of the people it listed as contacts and got it submitted that way.

Thanks for the advice guys! Unfortunately because of work I have to leave late the night before and the only place that has scheduled flights leaving after that time are the ones that fly into LAX. So I'll be getting into LAX at like 11pm and trying to find a bus to San Bernadino, haha. Unfortunately it looks like the trains from Union station don't run past 11-11:30.
Just a thought - every time I fly to Orange County, I'm shocked at how affordable it is to rent a car. Like, $25/day. Not sure if it's the same at LAX, but at least you wouldn't hit too much freeway traffic at that time of night. Might be worth the rental fee to just get yourself out to San Bernadino in time for a good night's sleep...

I would also suggest taking an Uber to a rental car location that is right outside LAX and getting a car there. SO much cheaper when you don't have to pay the extra airport fees for a car rental. I've done this in San Diego before - Uber was maybe $10 to an Enterprise location outside the airport and the car rental itself was almost $200 cheaper.

I would also suggest taking an Uber to a rental car location that is right outside LAX and getting a car there. SO much cheaper when you don't have to pay the extra airport fees for a car rental. I've done this in San Diego before - Uber was maybe $10 to an Enterprise location outside the airport and the car rental itself was almost $200 cheaper.
Some of the off-airport rental companies have courtesy shuttles too, iirc.

Be careful with LAX if you’re not familiar with the traffic and freeways as well as area. Some surroundings are not the safest at night and it can also be confusing. I’d recommend a hotel in Loma Linda or Redlands possibly rather than San Bernardino unless you check out the neighborhood first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent in primary on Monday, and no secondary yet... Really hoping for one!

Reactions: 1 users
Forgive me if I missed it somewhere on this thread but does anyone have any insight into their interview methodology? On the interview schedule it says there's a "personality questionnaire" and that's simply it in terms of any kind of actual review process. By every definition and account I can find it would seem this is just a self-taken test of sorts that judges how you see yourself and the world around you but I've never seen a medical school do this before.

My guess is that it might be a questionnaire given in a person to person style where an interviewer asks and then records your answers; rather than a paper and pencil style questionnaire which would seem even more strange to me.

Anyone have an insight?

Forgive me if I missed it somewhere on this thread but does anyone have any insight into their interview methodology? On the interview schedule it says there's a "personality questionnaire" and that's simply it in terms of any kind of actual review process. By every definition and account I can find it would seem this is just a self-taken test of sorts that judges how you see yourself and the world around you but I've never seen a medical school do this before.

My guess is that it might be a questionnaire given in a person to person style where an interviewers asks and then records your answers. Rather than a paper and pencil style questionnaire which would seem even more strange to me.

Anyone have an insight?

I think there might be a formal interview in addition to the personality questionnaire based on the wording of the attachments in the II request.

I think there might be a formal interview in addition to the personality questionnaire based on the wording of the attachments in the II request.

Yeah, it does say "...in additional to your formal interview, your day will also consist of... personality questionnaire...", good point. They just don't list the formal interview on the interview day schedule which is weird. Unless its one of those types where they pull people throughout the day to go to the interview while everyone else continues with the scheduled events. That must be it. Personality questionnaire thing still seems a bit odd or different at least.

Yeah, it does say "...in additional to your formal interview, your day will also consist of... personality questionnaire...", good point. They just don't list the formal interview on the interview day schedule which is weird. Unless its one of those types where they pull people throughout the day to go to the interview while everyone else continues with the scheduled events. That must be it. Personality questionnaire thing still seems a bit odd or different at least.
I'm really excited for this school...the mission is awesome and the school is supported by great leaders.....I would not be surprised if they have a few different type of evaluations throughout their application process to ensure they attract the right type of person to help them fulfill their mission and to help them develop a great reputation with their first cohort.

They mentioned earlier that secondaries go out in batches, so you may receive one. When did you submit?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Did they say if there’s a particular day of the week that secondaries are sent out?

Did they say if there’s a particular day of the week that secondaries are sent out?

I unfortunately haven’t kept up with the process as I’m not applying. I’m hoping someone who knows can chime in!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just got another email asking me to apply, even though I'm already interviewing :laugh:

But interestingly enough, classes look like they will start July 23rd. Seems earlier than I thought it would be.

I just got another email asking me to apply, even though I'm already interviewing :laugh:

But interestingly enough, classes look like they will start July 23rd. Seems earlier than I thought it would be.

I got that email too! *cough* send me a 2 *cough* hahaha

Just found out about this school and submitted a primary.

Have some DO acceptances but IS and hoping to get that MD :)

did you need to send in your letters/ committee letter again? or were the ones through AMCAS sufficient?

Will I be automatically screened out for an MCAT of 501? I know the website says 502+ is preferred on the requirements page. I tried calling Admissions to ask but no one answered. I’m a CA resident with a high GPA and ECs

So I received two of their recruitment emails, one prior to submitting my primary and the other afterwards. I still hadn't received a secondary, so I decided to email yesterday and ask if they were still sending them out. I received a secondary that evening and submitted today. Here goes nothing.

So I received two of their recruitment emails, one prior to submitting my primary and the other afterwards. I still hadn't received a secondary, so I decided to email yesterday and ask if they were still sending them out. I received a secondary that evening and submitted today. Here goes nothing.

How long after submitting your primary did you email?

How long after submitting your primary did you email?
6 days. It's possible I just got it and the email didn't do anything, but someone posted about submitting the primary a few days after me and receiving the secondary the following day, so I decided to follow up.

Will I be automatically screened out for an MCAT of 501? I know the website says 502+ is preferred on the requirements page. I tried calling Admissions to ask but no one answered. I’m a CA resident with a high GPA and ECs
wondering the same?

Hey guys, I have been lurking for a bit and decided to post. I was super excited to find out about this opportunity. Something about being the first class is really attractive since we get to set the bar for everyone else who comes after.

I just sent in my primary last night and I'm really excited to find out what happens! I live in Indiana right now and a fellow Veteran (I was in the army) lives right by the school. Good luck everyone!

I emailed admissions yesterday to confirm that they received my primary app. They emailed me back within a couple hours confirming that they did, and said I'd be receiving my secondary next week. o_O

Reactions: 5 users
I emailed admissions yesterday to confirm that they received my primary app. They emailed me back within a couple hours confirming that they did, and said I'd be receiving my secondary next week. o_O
What email address is everyone sending their questions to?

Submitted on AMCAS on Monday, no secondary yet. Are they sending them out in small batches and next one is next week?

Does anyone have any idea on how the actual interview will be formatted? On the interview schedule, there is an hour allotted for a personality questionnaire, which I am assuming will be the “interview” portion.

Does anyone have any idea on how the actual interview will be formatted? On the interview schedule, there is an hour allotted for a personality questionnaire, which I am assuming will be the “interview” portion.

It *may* be time allotted for an interview, however, the interview and personality questionnaire are two separate things. So it's possible the questionnaire could be like 15 minutes with a 45 minute interview in that hour time slot or they may, as some schools do, schedule peoples' interviews throughout the day and one would simply leave the current "activity" to go interview and then return to the group afterwards. But who knows, I'll be interested what the first interview group has to say about their experience!

what email address did you send this question to? thanks!

Can somebody explain to me the whole no federal loans thing, how do people plan on paying to go here? I just want to fully understand before I send an app

To all those in the first interview group, if you could post how the interview day was like/other pertinent information not yet found on their website, that would be so helpful!

Can somebody explain to me the whole no federal loans thing, how do people plan on paying to go here? I just want to fully understand before I send an app
They need to be accredited by some higher education accreditation group to receive federal aid. No idea how long to process is, their website under "accreditation" explains it but gives no timeline. Their student handbook also says they plan on taking federal aid once approved.

Edit: Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) is the group. Details were difficult to find on their site for accreditation timelines. I've heard 2 years thrown around a lot *shrug*
Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
They need to be accredited by some higher education accreditation group to receive federal aid. No idea how long to process is, their website under "accreditation" explains it but gives no timeline. Their student handbook also says they plan on taking federal aid once approved.

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

I mean from a students perspective, how would someone pay the tuition without being able to receive loans? I don't think most people can pay ~70k out of pocket

I mean from a students perspective, how would someone pay the tuition without being able to receive loans? I don't think most people can pay ~70k out of pocket
I misunderstood; private loans are the answer. iHELP Select is the current approved student loan vendor, Product Details - iHELP Select Loan. It looks decent if you have an established credit history, otherwise it looks expensive. However it does not have the same forgiveness options as federal loans such as PSLF and PAYE/REPAYE. AKA you're on the hook for the full amount.

You take out private loans.