2020-2021 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: CA University of Science and Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if CUSM is now eligible for federal financial aid?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if CUSM is now eligible for federal financial aid?

They should be eligible sometime during the 2020-2021 year (should be sooner rather than later). At this moment they are not, but it's just a waiting game at this point as they've already fulfilled the requirements they're just waiting on it to be "processed". I'll update if I hear anything changes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright round two baby lets go. Anybody get secondaries yet?

Anyone get the secondary for this school and can post the prompts please?

Secondaries won't be sent out until around late August or early September
Where did you get this information? Just wondering because someone on reddit posted that they already got an II. I haven't received a secondary and I'm an IS applicant.

Where did you get this information? Just wondering because someone on reddit posted that they already got an II. I haven't received a secondary and I'm an IS applicant.

Saw that Reddit post too. They received an II from California Health Sciences University (CHSU in Clovis, CA/ Central Valley). @GroundDigger either emailed admissions or looked at the prior threads where they also had not received anything till late August/early September

Yes @Just_Daikon is correct. Based on previous years, they send out the secondaries pretty late. The guy on reddit received an II from a DO school that has a similar name to this MD school.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
According to AAMC, this school will begin reviewing applications on September 14, 2020

According to AAMC, this school will begin reviewing applications on September 14, 2020
10/10 research skills :)
So we have a couple more weeks to wait for their secondary to come through most likely.

10/10 research skills :)
So we have a couple more weeks to wait for their secondary to come through most likely.

Not necessarily. It says it will review our primary application on September 14. So we are likely getting secondaries in about 6 weeks

Does anyone know how CUSM views OOS applicants? After looking at MSAR it is hard to tell if they weigh them equally or not

Does anyone know how CUSM views OOS applicants? After looking at MSAR it is hard to tell if they weigh them equally or not

Not sure about OOS applicants but some of us who are IS don't even receive love from this school. I had a couple friends who are IS with extremely high stats not even get a secondary. It may be that they prefer applicants from the Inland Empire (quite similarly to UC Riverside)

The general word is that: IE > IS > OOS

Of course this is considering all things being equal. They also frequently state that low income gets a small "boost" as well. Although they do except a decent amount of OOS every year - c/o 2023 has 19/98 OOS and 2022 has 13/64 OOS (so around 20ish% OOS).

Is the secondary the same as last year? If not, can someone please post them! :)

I'm pre-writing by basing the secondaries off of last year's prompts. There's a question that asks: If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years?

Does anyone know if CUSM has a specific focus on primary care?

I'm pre-writing by basing the secondaries off of last year's prompts. There's a question that asks: If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years?

Does anyone know if CUSM has a specific focus on primary care?

They more so have a focus on trying to retain students/doctors in the inland empire. They want to train doctors to stay in the area and serve the community. It may be wise to form the answer knowing this.

Anyone know when in Sept. they're sending secondaries out?
chrome_GdK9tbg4hV.png

My guess is September 14th but there's so many inconsistencies on the advisor report.

Reactions: 3 users
If they're supposedly reviewing applications in a week, has anyone gotten a secondary yet?

I think that means they're starting to look at applications on 9.14 to send secondaries

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received. Transmitted 7/10. IS. LM 68.

1. Have you ever been exposed to long periods of significant stress in your life (months at a time)? Even if you haven’t if you were to encounter such a challenge, how would, or did you, cope with it.

2. If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below.

3. Sometimes it is necessary to work in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances. When have you found yourself in this position? Tell us exactly what you did.

4. If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn’t meeting his/her responsibility, how would you feel about this situation and how would you handle it?

5. If given the opportunity to attend medical school where would you see yourself in ten years?

6. Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?

All 1500 characters.

Last edited:
+n, secondary received. IS. LM 69. AMCAS verified 8/12.

Secondary received. Transmitted 7/10. IS. LM 68.

1. Have you ever been exposed to long periods of significant stress in your life (months at a time)? Even if you haven’t if you were to encounter such a challenge, how would, or did you, cope with it.

2. If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below.

3. Sometimes it is necessary to work in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances. When have you found yourself in this position? Tell us exactly what you did.

4. If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn’t meeting his/her responsibility, how would you feel about this situation and how would you handle it?

5. If given the opportunity to attend medical school where would you see yourself in ten years?

6. Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?

All 1500 characters.

As an OOSer with below average stats for the school in both GPA and MCAT, and who would otherwise be done with all my secondaries the incentive to prewrite this is difficult

But thank you for posting! :)

As an OOSer with below average stats for the school in both GPA and MCAT, and who would otherwise be done with all my secondaries the incentive to prewrite this is difficult

But thank you for posting! :)

I'm in the same boat... if my statistics homework doesn't prove to be too difficult (my first post-bacc class lol, hoping I get in this year and don't have to take any more) I'm going to prewrite. It'll feel good to just get it done, and that way you know if you get a secondary you're all set and don't have to worry about it!

Secondary received about an hour ago. Non-trad, IS, LM 79, transmitted 7/10.

Hey guys!
Does anyone know if CUSM regularly interviews students who aren't from the IE? I'm in NorCal, but I would for sure consider a residency and/or practicing in SoCal. I would definitely be interested in CUSM, but I know that UCR does essentially use NorCal secondaries as donations lol. Is it worth it to fill out the secondary?