2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like I got autoscreened out. Best of luck to everyone else applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your stats?

Admittedly, not the best. Tons of ECs across the board, MCAT of 517, but a sub-par GPA from 2012. I'm taking courses right now, but still in progress. I made the GPA cutoff they listed on their application site so I hoped I'd at least get a secondary, but either I was screened out or they're still deciding if I'm worth the effort. I'm also Asian (Filipino), male, and from California for demographics purposes.

I understand, and am not surprised, but I was hoping to be surprised :rofl:gotta keep my head up though, and keep working.

Admittedly, not the best. Tons of ECs across the board, MCAT of 517, but a sub-par GPA from 2012. I'm taking courses right now, but still in progress. I made the GPA cutoff they listed on their application site so I hoped I'd at least get a secondary, but either I was screened out or they're still deciding if I'm worth the effort. I'm also Asian (Filipino), male, and from California for demographics purposes.

I understand, and am not surprised, but I was hoping to be surprised :rofl:gotta keep my head up though, and keep working.
I'm sure you'll get in somewhere with that MCAT

Did they send you something that said you were screened or did you just assume because you did not get a secondary?

Did they send you something that said you were screened or did you just assume because you did not get a secondary?

No, just radio silence. People were getting secondaries same-day so I, having sent my primary last week, I figure one of two things happed: A) I got autoscreened, or B) I was put in a pile labeled "For Review."

I'm still hoping that B happened, and it turns out that I get an invite to submit a secondary, and to that end, I have started pre-writing them so I can get them back to CUSM right away if the invite comes in.

No, just radio silence. People were getting secondaries same-day so I, having sent my primary last week, I figure one of two things happed: A) I got autoscreened, or B) I was put in a pile labeled "For Review."

I'm still hoping that B happened, and it turns out that I get an invite to submit a secondary, and to that end, I have started pre-writing them so I can get them back to CUSM right away if the invite comes in.

Are you from Southern California, more specifically the Inland Empire?

No, Northern California. I guess more like middle of California haha.

Their mission is to improve healthcare disparities for underserved populations in Southern California, more specifically the Inland Empire. If you don't have ties there they may still give you a secondary later though, or they just haven't gotten to your application yet.

Their mission is to improve healthcare disparities for underserved populations in Southern California, more specifically the Inland Empire. If you don't have ties there they may still give you a secondary later though, or they just haven't gotten to your application yet.

Yes I read that, but I fired my primary early to give myself the best chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from PA - hoping for secondary from here as well- fingers crossed!!

To be honest I'm not sure what exactly they may be looking for as I have no ties to CA and only have a LizzyM of 65-66 and I've already received a secondary and submitted. I'm honestly surprised I got a secondary now and worried that I won't be getting an interview as I'm seeing a lot of CA residents with high MCATs being (at least for now) seemingly ignored.

Did they tell you you will not be getting a secondary and were auto screened out? Or how do you know this?

To be honest I'm not sure what exactly they may be looking for as I have no ties to CA and only have a LizzyM of 65-66 and I've already received a secondary and submitted. I'm honestly surprised I got a secondary now and worried that I won't be getting an interview as I'm seeing a lot of CA residents with high MCATs being (at least for now) seemingly ignored.

They most likely don't want their entire class to be from Southern California.

Did they tell you you will not be getting a secondary and were auto screened out? Or how do you know this?
Like I said above, it was just radio silence. People were getting secondaries same-day so I, having sent my primary last week, I figure one of two things happed: A) I got autoscreened, or B) I was put in a pile labeled "For Review."

Don't look down on yourself! There must be something in your application that really caught their attention.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you that got invited to complete a secondary, how did you find this out? Was the invite through email? Thanks.

Same, I have an MCAT of 514 but have yet to get a secondary from here. Sent my primary in late Feb. A little strange how they're going through the screening process of providing secondaries!

Same, I have an MCAT of 514 but have yet to get a secondary from here. Sent my primary in late Feb. A little strange how they're going through the screening process of providing secondaries!

They only have a couple months to interview people and probably don't want to read that many secondaries but yeah they may just be rushing through it or utilizing an odd formula.

They only have a couple months to interview people and probably don't want to read that many secondaries but yeah they may just be rushing through it or utilizing an odd formula.
How many ii do you think they will give out?

How many ii do you think they will give out?

At least 60 ;)

Realistically, it can be hard to tell this late in the cycle. Could be 75, 90, or 100+.

Their application deadline is May, so they may hold interviews out as far as then.

At least 60 ;)

Realistically, it can be hard to tell this late in the cycle. Could be 75, 90, or 100+.

Their application deadline is May, so they may hold interviews out as far as then.

I'd assume they'll give out at least a couple hundred II's. Here's my reasoning:

Nova Southeastern opened an MD program this year (it opened to primaries in November I believe) and received ~2,000 primaries, gave out 1,200 secondaries and will interview 300-400 people for their class of 50. Ultimately they theorize they'll end up handing out 120+ acceptances when all is said and done (their words, not mine). Yes, I know Nova opened up 3 months before CalMed but I think its still good to consider.

If you consider CalMed will be interviewing at least in April and May (probably a bit longer) you're looking at I'd say at least 8-10 weeks of interviews. They say they're holding interviews on Mondays and Fridays so that's 2 interview days a week. So, theoretically that gives us 16 - 20 interview dates. I'd say 15 or so people an interview date is a reasonable assumption to make and if you take these numbers for the sake of speculation that's 240 - 300 people they can interview. If you want to be conservative I think at minimum they'll look to interview 200+ as they have to assume, with them being a new school with limited funding, that there will be people giving up their seat to go to a more established school if they get off the wait-list during the summer.

Meaningless speculation, I'm sure, but if anyone has any evidence or thoughts to the contrary I'd love to hear it.

EDIT: Additionally it was made known that as of a couple of days ago CalMed had already received 400+ applications. I'm assuming it will be over 1,000 by the time the deadline arrives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
received the secondary last week, probably won't submit it for reasons others have stated. northern cali resident

I'd assume they'll give out at least a couple hundred II's. Here's my reasoning:

Nova Southeastern opened an MD program this year (it opened to primaries in November I believe) and received ~2,000 primaries, gave out 1,200 secondaries and will interview 300-400 people for their class of 50. Ultimately they theorize they'll end up handing out 120+ acceptances when all is said and done (their words, not mine). Yes, I know Nova opened up 3 months before CalMed but I think its still good to consider.

If you consider CalMed will be interviewing at least in April and May (probably a bit longer) you're looking at I'd say at least 8-10 weeks of interviews. They say they're holding interviews on Mondays and Fridays so that's 2 interview days a week. So, theoretically that gives us 16 - 20 interview dates. I'd say 15 or so people an interview date is a reasonable assumption to make and if you take these numbers for the sake of speculation that's 240 - 300 people they can interview. If you want to be conservative I think at minimum they'll look to interview 200+ as they have to assume, with them being a new school with limited funding, that there will be people giving up their seat to go to a more established school if they get off the wait-list during the summer.

Meaningless speculation, I'm sure, but if anyone has any evidence or thoughts to the contrary I'd love to hear it.

EDIT: Additionally it was made known that as of a couple of days ago CalMed had already received 400+ applications. I'm assuming it will be over 1,000 by the time the deadline arrives.
May I ask where you got your info from about 400 apps the May deadline and interviews are on Mondays and Fridays.

Last edited:
May I ask where you got your info from about 400 apps and the May deadline.

There's another thread about CalMed: CUSM? California University of science and medicine

On this the admissions representative (the dean maybe? I can't recall) claimed over 400 applications as of yesterday. So I misspoke a bit, 400+ applications as of yesterday, not a couple of days ago.

As of the May deadline it may have been on the website or an email. I recall May 1st deadline for primary with a May 15th for secondaries, although I could be off a bit. I apologize though as I can't seem to remember where I've seen that. Although, others have claimed seeing the same thing so I can't be too far off I'm guessing.

me too submitted 2/28 the first day and no secondary. IS, URM, SO-CAL RES

There's another thread about CalMed: CUSM? California University of science and medicine

On this the admissions representative (the dean maybe? I can't recall) claimed over 400 applications as of yesterday. So I misspoke a bit, 400+ applications as of yesterday, not a couple of days ago.

As of the May deadline it may have been on the website or an email. I recall May 1st deadline for primary with a May 15th for secondaries, although I could be off a bit. I apologize though as I can't seem to remember where I've seen that. Although, others have claimed seeing the same thing so I can't be too far off I'm guessing.
You are correct the dean said those things on the other thread. Thank you for sharing

The California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine is now accepting applications for Fall 2018. We are listed on AMCAS and are located in beautiful Southern California. For more information please see our website.
#1 (250 words)
If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn’t meeting his/her responsibility, how would you feel about this situation and how would you handle it?

#2 (250 words)
Sometimes it is necessary to work in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances. When you have you found yourself in this position? Tell us exactly what you did.

#3 (250 words)
If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years?

#4 (250 words)
Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?
So
The California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine is now accepting applications for Fall 2018. We are listed on AMCAS and are located in beautiful Southern California. For more information please see our website.
#1 (250 words)
If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn’t meeting his/her responsibility, how would you feel about this situation and how would you handle it?

#2 (250 words)
Sometimes it is necessary to work in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances. When you have you found yourself in this position? Tell us exactly what you did.

#3 (250 words)
If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years?

#4 (250 words)
Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?

Received Secondary on March 5th after submitting primary application that previous Friday.

May I ask where you got your info from about 400 apps the May deadline and interviews are on Mondays and Fridays.
The May 1 deadline is shown on AMCAS when you submit the primary (May 15 is the transcript deadline). I didn't see a deadline for the secondary in either the email invitation or the secondary itself.

Does anyone know if they will be able to have a cadaver lab in the temporary building?

Does anyone know if they will be able to have a cadaver lab in the temporary building?

I think it’s in the permanent building, their student handbook says “Cadavers: human cadavers for dissection (in the permanent medical school building, which is under construction)”

But they do have an interactive learning center (laboratory) in the temp building..that I think is for specimen and/or virtual anatomy? The following is from their student handbook:

“The interactive learning center represents a “hybrid” design for hands-on learning of anatomy, histology, radiographic and ultrasonographic imaging, pathology, physiology, immunology, and microbiology. The center, which has capacity for 90 students, includes an arrangement of dissecting tables alongside collaboration tables so that laboratory sessions run side by side. Each table is equipped with state-of-the-art touchscreen monitors as well as online applications and resources for guided and self-directed laboratory sessions. Associated with the interactive learning center, there are several large-specimen storage units within the learning center, a storage room and an office for a facility manager.”

II! Set for two weeks from now

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Where did you all see how many letters of recommendation they want?

Just got an email spam telling me to applyo_O...Good luck everyone!!!

Why does calmedu.org lead me to a site that is still under construction? I cannot find the school's website. Thanks!

Got a II! Submitted secondary via email over the last weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
Why does calmedu.org lead me to a site that is still under construction? I cannot find the school's website. Thanks!
Typo? Typed .com by accident? That link in the post above works fine for me; same with typing in calmedu.org.

To those who received II: looking at the schedule, when is the formal interview? Could it be the personality questionnaire time slot?