2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know what differences there may be in terms of repayment with private vs federal aid loans?
Higher interest rates

Members don't see this ad.

There is also no income-based repayment with private loans AFAIK

Members don't see this ad :)
There is also no income-based repayment with private loans AFAIK
What does this look like? Like you're in residency making $50k/year expected to make $2,000/month and up payments? Or can you defer while in residency/fellowship?

Just curious. I threw a primary in, but I don't know if I'm going to bother with the secondary - if I get one - with this whole private loans thing.

Reactions: 1 user
What does this look like? Like you're in residency making $50k/year expected to make $2,000/month and up payments? Or can you defer while in residency/fellowship?

Just curious. I threw a primary in, but I don't know if I'm going to bother with the secondary - if I get one - with this whole private loans thing.

Scary to think about. Seeing as how they claim their merit and need based scholarships are limited, one would probably end up paying ~45k a year for tuition (considering possible small scholarship(s)) not to mention the cost of living in San Bernardino (outside L.A.) which would be, I don't know I'm not from Cali, maybe around ~20k more a year (for rent, food, etc.). So I'd say, conservatively you're looking at ~65k a year and graduating with ~260k debt which will be accruing interest the whole time.

Especially if you landed a residency in an area where the cost of living was high, I feel like paying that back could be crippling.

Hell, I may be off a bit but the numbers do make me severely question application.

Reactions: 1 users
Do we just email in our secondary application on that pdf they sent?

The California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine is now accepting applications for Fall 2018. We are listed on AMCAS and are located in beautiful Southern California. For more information please see our website. Thank you for your interest!
Thank you for starting this thread! We typically include the secondary question prompts in the first post of a school-specific thread - would you be willing to edit your post to add them? I'll include them here also:

#1 (250 words)
If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn’t meeting his/her responsibility, how would you feel about this situation and how would you handle it?

#2 (250 words)
Sometimes it is necessary to work in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances. When you have you found yourself in this position? Tell us exactly what you did.

#3 (250 words)
If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years?

#4 (250 words)
Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?

When did you guys submit your primary? I did last friday and didnt get a secondary

Did anyone receive a receipt from the school after sending in the primary?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
secondary recieved. Submitted less than 7 days ago.

When did you guys submit your primary? I did last friday and didnt get a secondary
Submitted primary Mon 2/26, secondary received yesterday 3/2.
Maybe you are having email issues again? I think you and I have around the same stats, so I'm sure you'll get one.

Does anyone know where to submit the application. All they gave us was a link to pay

It’s because the school doesn’t have full accreditation yet because it’s new. Every new school goes brought this. I have a coworker who goes to Cal Northstate and she had to get private loans because there’s was no federal aid offered because it was a new school.
Northstate did have the ability to give their 1st MD class the opportunity to access federal loans and chose not to do so. They had a pre-existing Pharm school which would have made this possible for both their MD and Pharm students.

Just got the secondary. Dont think Ill be filling it out because of the lack of fin aid.

Just got the secondary. Wont be filling it out as well

When did you send in the primary?
I sent mine in early, early Friday morning (as in, a little after midnight EST), and I received a secondary today.

Won't be filling it out either. I have DO accepts... would much rather go DO than go without federal loans, for sure.

I sent mine in early, early Friday morning (as in, a little after midnight EST), and I received a secondary today.

Won't be filling it out either. I have DO accepts... would much rather go DO than go without federal loans, for sure.

This past Friday or the Friday before? I sent mine in last Monday, but have yet to hear anything!

is anyone completing this secondary?

Yes, I submitted mine already. I filled out my secondary pdf and emailed it back to her. Not sure if we were supposed to upload it somewhere else.

I will.. if I get one lol

Same here! lol. I actually called them yesterday afternoon (regarding something else). They mentioned that they were still reviewing primary apps (and not in any specific order) and another batch of secondaries should be sent sometime this week. So I’m sure yours will be coming soon! But you can call them if you want to know your current status (whether or not your app’s been reviewed, instead of waiting in limbo), they are very receptive and helpful on the phone.

Did they give you directions on where to submit the secondary? All I did was email it back to them.

All we require is for you to email it back to us at this time. Thanks!

For my payment confirmation I also sent in a copy of the paypal receipt email along with the secondary pdf, is that fine?

Do HPSP scholarships apply to new schools like CUSM?

Also, say the school wasn't able to gain full accreditation, what would happen to the current students?

Is there an instate preference at this school?

I'm not sure, but the following from their student handbook makes me think sort of: "Prospective students will be primarily drawn from a national pool of applicants with a focus on disadvantaged* California and Inland Empire applicants."

Do HPSP scholarships apply to new schools like CUSM?

Also, say the school wasn't able to gain full accreditation, what would happen to the current students?
In the unlikelihood a school did not receive full accreditation, the LCME works with other area medical schools to absorb the class. This happens with extreme rarity. The only time I know of this happening was when Oral Roberts University's SOM folded several years ago, which was, I believe, due to bankruptcy. The LCME now requires all medical schools to provide evidence of the "sustainability" of financial resources.

In the unlikelihood a school did not receive full accreditation, the LCME works with other area medical schools to absorb the class. This happens with extreme rarity. The only time I know of this happening was when Oral Roberts University's SOM folded several years ago, which was, I believe, due to bankruptcy. The LCME now requires all medical schools to provide evidence of the "sustainability" of financial resources.

When do interviews start and which day of the week will interviews be?

When do interviews start and which day of the week will interviews be?
We are reviewing completed applications now. Invitations for on-campus interviews may go out as soon as tomorrow and will continue thereafter as applications are completed. I would anticipate on-campus interviews to begin in about two weeks. Thanks!

Around how big of a class size is expected for the incoming class?

Submitted primary this afternoon and received secondary in less than 2 hours. That was fast!

Received the secondary with 10 seconds of submitting

Reactions: 2 users
So are y'all basically applying bc no acceptances yet? Cuz that's me lol

Reactions: 8 users
Submitted the secondary, will we get an email back if it was received successfully?