2017-2018 California Northstate University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes $250.000 max but you can go somewhere else for each year of school. Is that what you mean?
Yes. So you maybe for the fourth year you will apply for a different loan service?

Members don't see this ad.

one more thing you can always sell consolidate and move all those loans to a completely different company that has all those things that are beneficial to us as you mentioned previously so as of today nothing is set in stone as to who you will repaying the money to.
My parents said they sold , and consolidated a few times when they did all this.

Yes. So you maybe for the fourth year you will apply for a different loan service?
Possibly but next year who knows what choices will be available.
I was all set with SM and the school said go for the best rate and we will happily redo the paperwork.
As you know this is overwhelming dealing with the present so what happens in subsequent years is on the back burner for now. I am grateful for my acceptances and hope everyone gets somewhere to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
one more thing you can always sell consolidate and move all those loans to a completely different company that has all those things that are beneficial to us as you mentioned previously so as of today nothing is set in stone as to who you will repaying the money to.
My parents said they sold , and consolidated a few times when they did all this.
Does anyone know if most students reapply for loans each year?

I made an error the max is upped to $350,000 !

LOAN OVERVIEW

INTEREST RATE
  • The rate is a fixed hybrid. This means your initial interest rate will stay fixed for 5 years from the first disbursement date and will be adjusted every five years. The fixed hybrid rate is based upon the Quarterly Prime Rate (as published in the Wall Street Journal) plus a margin of 2.70%.
  • If you qualify for this loan, you will receive an initial fixed rate of 6.95%.

Show less
FEES
Origination Fee: 0%

Repayment Fee: 0%

MINIMUM/MAXIMUM LOAN AMOUNTS
    • The minimum loan amount is $2,500.
    • The maximum loan amount is $350,000

I made an error the max is upped to $350,000 !

LOAN OVERVIEW

INTEREST RATE
  • The rate is a fixed hybrid. This means your initial interest rate will stay fixed for 5 years from the first disbursement date and will be adjusted every five years. The fixed hybrid rate is based upon the Quarterly Prime Rate (as published in the Wall Street Journal) plus a margin of 2.70%.
  • If you qualify for this loan, you will receive an initial fixed rate of 6.95%.

Show less
FEES
Origination Fee: 0%

Repayment Fee: 0%

MINIMUM/MAXIMUM LOAN AMOUNTS
    • The minimum loan amount is $2,500.
    • The maximum loan amount is $350,000
Hmm.. that actually sounds pretty good! I would have to look more into the rate adjustment exactly what that means to make sure they can’t make it sky rocket after five years, but looks good! But then again I guess you could just refinance after five years to one with a fixed rate ..

Does anyone know if most students reapply for loans each year?

Every year is a new game. It’s one year at a time. You only signed documents for 2018-2019
And that’s one school year

Thank you for that. I wanted to choose Sallie Mae but ihelp has a new program that just came out for 6.9% specifically for docs and it is 2% lower than SM . That translates to almost $100,000 in my pocket over the life of the loan plus unlike other ihelp loans there is not a disbursement fee.
I originally filled out papers with CNU for Sallie Mae and called the school and explained the better rate and she said go for it. It’s way early and as long as it did not fund I was ok.
She explained they just added it last week so it it worth it for any of you to switch for that kind of saving. This is like a federal loan with this rate.
So happy I found it. Thank you for your help.

Could you share a link to this? I'm having trouble finding it but it sounds very promising!

ACCEPTED TODAY! Interviewed 4/20.

Reactions: 1 users
Could you share a link to this? I'm having trouble finding it but it sounds very promising!
Sure. It is on Northstate's site they show you their loans and you can compare them side by side. They really make it user and decision friendly. Remember you can always sell renegotiate at any time to save you even more $$$. Glad to help

I tried to copy the link 2x and it won't allow it here for obvious reasons so here are the directions to get to the page I am referring to

1)Start at Northstate's Home page
2)Financial Aid Eligibility
3)Types of Assistance
4)Private Educational Loans
5)Select a Program choose medical/dental
6)View Loans and compare

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Even though they say you get the initial rate for five years?
For clarity and closure purposes: everyone applies for loans every academic year to cover that academic year. That 5 year rate is referring to the rate being applied to first year's loan being held constant for 5 years, after which it becomes adjustable. You'll have a total of 4 individual loans (one per year) when you graduate

Dr Churpio
This is the loan I took. To further exemplify how good a deal it is 1) rate stays at 6.95% for 5 years
2) If you look up the 30 year history of the Libor Rate ( which is what interest rate that is variable is based on you will see the max was 11% only in 1989 in 30 years. Today the rate is 1.92% ( crazy right) plus 2.70% . So for example your loan AFTER 5 years would be at 4.62% .
To reiterate this is just for the first year of $88,000. Next year you can borrow from any other certified lender CNU approves. You are not obligated to stay with ihelp and not obligated to take this loan you can take a fixed with ihelp or any other company you choose. I hope this helps you all and feel free to ask anything else. It's scary now but after residency it should not be a hardship to repay for any of us.

Reactions: 2 users
Dr Churpio

This is the loan I took. To further exemplify how good a deal it is 1) rate stays at 6.95% for 5 years
2) If you look up the 30 year history of the Libor Rate ( which is what interest rate that is variable is based on you will see the max was 11% only in 1989 in 30 years. Today the rate is 1.92% ( crazy right) plus 2.70% . So for example your loan AFTER 5 years would be at 4.62% .
To reiterate this is just for the first year of $88,000. Next year you can borrow from any other certified lender CNU approves. You are not obligated to stay with ihelp and not obligated to take this loan you can take a fixed with ihelp or any other company you choose. I hope this helps you all and feel free to ask anything else. It's scary now but after residency it should not be a hardship to repay for any of us.

I was under the impression that the iHelp FX5 loan was based on the Quarterly Prime Rate, not the LIBOR? The current Prime Rate is 4.75%, which would add up to 7.45% with the 2.7% margin.

Is anyone concerned about matching for residency coming from this school? I’m excited to have an opportunity to go to med school, but it’s also scary since it’s such a big investment and they haven’t matched a class yet. Or can any current students speak to this?

Is anyone concerned about matching for residency coming from this school? I’m excited to have an opportunity to go to med school, but it’s also scary since it’s such a big investment and they haven’t matched a class yet. Or can any current students speak to this?
Yes, and I may even pick a DO school over this for that reason. I’ve asked the school and they referred me to a web page of theirs rather than giving me specific answers. I’d like to hear from current students.

Yes, and I may even pick a DO school over this for that reason. I’ve asked the school and they referred me to a web page of theirs rather than giving me specific answers. I’d like to hear from current students.

M2. What do you want to know? As previously mentioned, we haven't matched our first class so you can't expect specific answers. There are some things I can tell you though. For example, that match rates for US allopathic seniors are >90%, including every new school that has opened up in recent years. This data isn't hard to find. Another is that our M3's averaged 228 on step 1, which is at the national average. These are facts, but there are other questions that can only be answered with time, after the first match. For example, how many students will match into competitive/prestigious residencies. I personally think we'll be fine. Maybe not MGH, but we have some smart kids here. There are some strong opinions on SDN about our school, but it really only matters what Program directors think. N=1, but most PDs (outside of the area) don't know much about our school and have told me they care more about scores, clinical evals, etc. Data for what PD's care about in choosing candidates can be found online easily too. Of course, a highly ranked residency like UCSF is more likely to choose candidates from top ranked MD schools, but that trend decreases significantly as you go down the list. Just look at the PGY-1's at programs like UCI, UCD, etc. I think you'd match fine going to a DO school too. But there is definitely still a bias against DO students. There is a radiology PD that posts on SDN that says that its harder for DO students to get interviews at his program according to his alogorithms. Anyways, thats just my .02.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
M2. What do you want to know? As previously mentioned, we haven't matched our first class so you can't expect specific answers. There are some things I can tell you though. For example, that match rates for US allopathic seniors are >90%, including every new school that has opened up in recent years. This data isn't hard to find. Another is that our M3's averaged 228 on step 1, which is at the national average. These are facts, but there are other questions that can only be seen with time, after the first match. For example, how many students will match into competitive/prestigious residencies. I personally think we'll be fine. Maybe not MGH, but we have some smart kids here. There are some strong opinions on SDN about our school, but it really only matters what Program directors think. N=1, but most PDs (outside of the area) don't know much about our school and have told me they care more about scores, clinical evals, etc. Data for what PD's care about in choosing candidates can be found online easily too. Of course, a highly ranked residency like UCSF is more likely to choose candidates from top ranked MD schools, but that trend decreases significantly as you go down the list. Just look at the PGY-1's at programs like UCI, UCD, etc. I think you'd match fine going to a DO school too. But there is definitely still a bias against DO students. There is a radiology PD that posts on SDN that says that its harder for DO students to get interviews at his program according to his alogorithms. Anyways, thats just my .02.
Thank you!

M2. What do you want to know? As previously mentioned, we haven't matched our first class so you can't expect specific answers. There are some things I can tell you though. For example, that match rates for US allopathic seniors are >90%, including every new school that has opened up in recent years. This data isn't hard to find. Another is that our M3's averaged 228 on step 1, which is at the national average. These are facts, but there are other questions that can only be seen with time, after the first match. For example, how many students will match into competitive/prestigious residencies. I personally think we'll be fine. Maybe not MGH, but we have some smart kids here. There are some strong opinions on SDN about our school, but it really only matters what Program directors think. N=1, but most PDs (outside of the area) don't know much about our school and have told me they care more about scores, clinical evals, etc. Data for what PD's care about in choosing candidates can be found online easily too. Of course, a highly ranked residency like UCSF is more likely to choose candidates from top ranked MD schools, but that trend decreases significantly as you go down the list. Just look at the PGY-1's at programs like UCI, UCD, etc. I think you'd match fine going to a DO school too. But there is definitely still a bias against DO students. There is a radiology PD that posts on SDN that says that its harder for DO students to get interviews at his program according to his alogorithms. Anyways, thats just my .02.
Does the admin. ever mention anything about ways you can increase your chances of getting into a good residency ? I personally am not interested in the uber competitive specialities, but I'd like to train at an academic institution because that's where I see myself in the future. What I have heard is that for the first few years most PDs kind of give new schools a blank slate until they have established a reputation. But is there anything the school can do to kind of build relationships with other programs to establish a good reputation?

Does the admin. ever mention anything about ways you can increase your chances of getting into a good residency ? I personally am not interested in the uber competitive specialities, but I'd like to train at an academic institution because that's where I see myself in the future. What I have heard is that for the first few years most PDs kind of give new schools a blank slate until they have established a reputation. But is there anything the school can do to kind of build relationships with other programs to establish a good reputation?

That's true, and that's definitely a downside in going to a new school. If you decide to come here, you definitely have to take initiative to make yourself more competitive because most things won't be handed to you. For example, our school doesn't have many research opportunities, so you have to reach out and make those connections yourself. Many have done summer research projects at their alma mater or have just cold-called physicians at other academic centers to do projects. Another way to stand out is to impress on Away rotations. Personally, I don't think there will be any trouble getting a residency at an academic institution, which I htink most of us will do.

That's true, and that's definitely a downside in going to a new school. If you decide to come here, you definitely have to take initiative to make yourself more competitive because most things won't be handed to you. For example, our school doesn't have many research opportunities, so you have to reach out and make those connections yourself. Many have done summer research projects at their alma mater or have just cold-called physicians at other academic centers to do projects. Another way to stand out is to impress on Away rotations. Personally, I don't think there will be any trouble getting a residency at an academic institution, which I htink most of us will do.
Can second the part regarding away rotations. I spoke to a residency director regarding all of the concerns which I had about this school, and one of the biggest take aways I got was that if you know there is a residency that you are interested in (especially if it is competitive) that it is very important to do an away rotation there. Because the school is so new many PDs don't really know much about it, and as such, do not know the strength of the clinical rotations offered by the school. But he mentioned that impressing a program through an away rotation was one of the best ways that you could almost guarantee an interview for a residency position (assuming you have reasonable stats). For those of you concerned that the school has a "bad rep" because of the strong opinions found all over this site, I'd say don't let it worry you. PDs from what I can tell don't have an opinion on the program (positive or negative) for the most part; it will be up to you to determine whether or not you're a strong residency candidate coming out of this school.

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday (interviewed in dec). Withdrew. Best of luck to the rest of you!

I asked them about the status of my app and they said that admissions will notify people in June. I have an offer from another medical school and the deadline to pay for placement is coming up so I can't wait that long. But they're being really rigid in regards to informing applicants earlier than June. Since I didn't get an interview and it's this late in the game, do you think I should just assume I didn't get in? Are they even interviewing applicants at this point in time or are they done with interviews completely for this cycle?

I asked them about the status of my app and they said that admissions will notify people in June. I have an offer from another medical school and the deadline to pay for placement is coming up so I can't wait that long. But they're being really rigid in regards to informing applicants earlier than June. Since I didn't get an interview and it's this late in the game, do you think I should just assume I didn't get in? Are they even interviewing applicants at this point in time or are they done with interviews completely for this cycle?

They said the last interview of the cycle was May 11th, I do not know why they would not tell you that on the phone but that was what I heard last. I would go ahead and accept the offer at the other school if I were in your shoes.

Don't take a chance. Pay for placement. If you decide to go to CNU later, you forfeit the deposit and that's fine. Better than not paying, and then not getting into CNU and now you're stuck.

Interviews are over.

You have been holding 2 slots for over 2 months. It is unfair that you are doing this and taking a position away from someone else who would die to be anywhere. I think it's time you made a choice and give up your slot. And before everyone gets on my case I have been accepted so it is not jealously it is just the right thing to do. People are spending thousands of dollars all over again and you can be saving someone right now by doing the right thing and withdraw from one of your acceptances. Lets be fair April 30th was 3 weeks ago.
This is my only MD acceptance..

They said the last interview of the cycle was May 11th, I do not know why they would not tell you that on the phone but that was what I heard last. I would go ahead and accept the offer at the other school if I were in your shoes.

I really appreciate the reply. :) Did you hear that the interview cycle ended on May 11th from adcoms?

I really appreciate the reply. :) Did you hear that the interview cycle ended on May 11th from adcoms?

I don't recall if the Adcoms had directly stated that, but at the May 11th interview there were only like 11 spots left total and in the past had not gone past the May 11th date for interviews.

I know they said 3 weeks but has anyone heard back from 5/12 interviews?

my friend applied here and apparently they don't accept preqreqs done over 9 years ago, which is ridiculous as majority of med schools don't have expiration dates for courses (esp if you did good on your recent MCAT).. just a warning to other future applicants.

Last edited:
my friend applied here and apparently they don't accept preqreqs done over 9 years ago, which is ridiculous as majority of med schools don't have expiration dates for courses (esp if you did good on your recent MCAT).. just a warning to other future applicants.

Strange. I took pre-requisites in Summer 2000 and I was accepted into the Class of 2019. Huh.

I know what you saying but its also crazy if you did a higher level course like biochemistry, physiology and microbiology etc and want to go back to school to do first level biology and chemistry class.

Strange. I took pre-requisites in Summer 2000 and I was accepted into the Class of 2019. Huh.
What, really?? Were they science prereqs? According to MSAR, they state "Prerequisite courses must be completed within nine years of your intended start date". Maybe once you're accepted, they are way more lenient? Or maybe because you're in the inaugural class and it didnt matter before? idk...

I know what you saying but its also crazy if you did a higher level course like biochemistry, physiology and microbiology etc and want to go back to school to do first level biology and chemistry class.
I know, right?! Especially if you took biochemistry and an upper level bio class recently and did well (which I did) and have to go back to take chemistry1A. Ridiculous and not going to happen! Especially since it's the ONLY school on me and my friend's list that has this requirement. hahaha.

Hello! Has anyone else heard back from CNUCOM? It seems that the waitlist movement has died down based on what has been posted on this forum. I'm curious if there might be another wave soon. Still staying hopeful :)

Hello! Has anyone else heard back from CNUCOM? It seems that the waitlist movement has died down based on what has been posted on this forum. I'm curious if there might be another wave soon. Still staying hopeful :)
I called them last week and they said they're currently reviewing the wait list and that we should all hopefully have a final decision by the end of June! I'm trying not to lose hope.

I declined my acceptance. Good luck to everyone waiting!

I called them last week and they said they're currently reviewing the wait list and that we should all hopefully have a final decision by the end of June! I'm trying not to lose hope.

Thanks a ton for the update. Good luck, we still have a chance!

Just got in, was waitlisted after 3/2 interview. I won't be accepting the offer though! Good luck to you guys

What, really?? Were they science prereqs? According to MSAR, they state "Prerequisite courses must be completed within nine years of your intended start date". Maybe once you're accepted, they are way more lenient? Or maybe because you're in the inaugural class and it didnt matter before? idk...

They were science pre-requisites (in this case, organic chemistry). As a non-traditional student, I had a number of intervening years (14 years to be exact) and experiences separating my undergraduate days from medical school matriculation.

The powers-that-be might have changed their admissions policies. I don't know; I'm just relating my personal experience.

The exciting thing about going to a school like CNUCOM is that it feels like a tech start-up: things are constantly in flux, often for the better, and the rate of change is astonishing.

The terrifying thing about going to a school like CNUCOM is that it feels like a tech start-up: things are constantly in flux, sometimes for the worse, and the rate of change is bewildering.

What's the pre-secondary screen for IS?

Does anyone know when is the latest a waitlisted person could possibly still be accepted? Also, I tried to find out what end/position of the waitlist I am at, but they wouldn't tell me. So I'm still trying to hold onto ( false) hope... I interviewed on 3/2.