2016-2017 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today. Stats/profile in the signature.

I already was accepted to my top choice school. What do you guys think- is it worth it to do the interview here? Would I miss out big if I turned Carver down?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

I already was accepted to my top choice school. What do you guys think- is it worth it to do the interview here? Would I miss out big if I turned Carver down?

Carver is a very nice community, however if you have no plans to attend the school no matter how well the interview goes, you might be wasting your time. I can tell you, the atmosphere was one of the best I've experienced

What is your top choice school? Under what circumstances would you not attend there?

Members don't see this ad :)

The way I see it is that if you have already been accepted at your TOP choice, why spend more time, money, and energy doing something that you're pretty sure you won't pursue? I think we sometimes have a hard time letting go of things that were not meant for us. Good luck deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Carver is a very nice community, however if you have no plans to attend the school no matter how well the interview goes, you might be wasting your time. I can tell you, the atmosphere was one of the best I've experienced
Thanks! What did you like about the atmosphere?...or was it just the general feeling you got by being there?

What is your top choice school? Under what circumstances would you not attend there?
I'm a resident of NJ and was accepted to a NJ public school, so financially it makes the most sense to go there. But I also love everything about the school- the faculty, the curriculum, the grading system, the clinical exposure, and the fact that it's on a university campus with access to everything that entails. So in short, I wouldn't choose to go anywhere else barring some earth-shattering development at that school OR if I was enamored by something at Carver (should I choose to interview and, ultimately, be accepted). That's what I'm trying to get at, is there something about Carver that you think would draw someone away from another school...a "hidden" secret so to speak? I know any answer to that question would be subjective, but I'm just trying to get a feel.

The way I see it is that if you have already been accepted at your TOP choice, why spend more time, money, and energy doing something that you're pretty sure you won't pursue? I think we sometimes have a hard time letting go of things that were not meant for us. Good luck deciding.

Thanks! You're probably right...just want to make sure I accurately look at all possibilities before I decide what is, ultimately, meant for me. This is the teacher in me talking. :cool:

I'm a resident of NJ and was accepted to a NJ public school, so financially it makes the most sense to go there. But I also love everything about the school- the faculty, the curriculum, the grading system, the clinical exposure, and the fact that it's on a university campus with access to everything that entails. So in short, I wouldn't choose to go anywhere else barring some earth-shattering development at that school OR if I was enamored by something at Carver (should I choose to interview and, ultimately, be accepted). That's what I'm trying to get at, is there something about Carver that you think would draw someone away from another school...a "hidden" secret so to speak? I know any answer to that question would be subjective, but I'm just trying to get a feel.

Iowa has great faculty, a shortened pre-clinical curriculum, good clinical exposure, and it is on a Big 10 campus. It utilizes a grading system that is not P/F, but it is not curved and there is little to no competition. So your reasons are all met at Iowa, aside from the state, and you didn't mention if living in NJ was a big plus for you. Iowa also offers great financial support to OOS students, but that will be relative to what your other offer entails.

Personal opinion here - Iowa is also a much bigger research school than any of the NJ public schools. If you were interested in some of the big fields here, it would be worthwhile to check out.

If you think that there is no way you could be drawn away from NJ, then I would save the money and cancel the II. I don't think the reasons you listed were that compelling though, so it may be worth checking Iowa out! If you have any other questions feel free to ask or PM.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on Dec. 19, cannot remember when they will let us know? anyone knows?

I interviewed on Dec. 19, cannot remember when they will let us know? anyone knows?
There is a slight chance you will get reviewed during the rolling period which ends mid-January. However, I believe there is a stronger chance of you being placed in the final pool, for which notification is sent out mid-January and final decisions are released mid-March.

thanks. what kind of notification will be sent out in mid-January? letting me know that I am in the final pool? if that is the case, which it affect my chances of getting accepted? the acceptance rate during roll period versus final pool is the same or not?

thanks. what kind of notification will be sent out in mid-January? letting me know that I am in the final pool? if that is the case, which it affect my chances of getting accepted? the acceptance rate during roll period versus final pool is the same or not?
Yes I believe the final pool email goes out in January. With regards to acceptance rates, I'm not too familiar with this but I think it depends highly on IS vs OOS. If I'm not mistaken Iowa accepts more OOS applicants prior to the final pool than IS applicants. I've also read in previous threads that the majority of the IS acceptances come from the final pool.

Is there an official page about the "final pool" on Iowa's website? If placed in the final pool, would I hear back in March or some other specific date? Or is it also on a rolling basis. I interviewed oct. 26th.

Is there an official page about the "final pool" on Iowa's website? If placed in the final pool, would I hear back in March or some other specific date? Or is it also on a rolling basis. I interviewed oct. 26th.

If you don't hear anything back by tomorrow I'd strongly suggest calling the admissions office. I interviewed 11/14 and I was notified that we would hear back in January.

Anyone else watch that game? :(

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't hear anything back by tomorrow I'd strongly suggest calling the admissions office. I interviewed 11/14 and I was notified that we would hear back in January.
Oh man, I interviewed 11/02... I'm going to die if I hear nothing tomorrow. You think they're in for work again tomorrow?

Are we meant to hear back when stated at interview? Even if we are destined for the final pool?

Just accepted!!! Interviewed week of 12/12. Surprised to hear back so soon! OOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations. hope I will hear it soon as well, interviewed Dec. 19. Mind share your Lizzy?

Accepted today! Interviewed 11/11. OOS. Lizzy ~74.

Accepted today, interviewed 12/21. very happy

Reactions: 1 users
As an OOS applicant interviewing in early January, am I at a significant disadvantage now? Reading through the thread, it seems like most OOS-ers are accepted pre-final pool. Thanks for any and all info! :)

As an OOS applicant interviewing in early January, am I at a significant disadvantage now? Reading through the thread, it seems like most OOS-ers are accepted pre-final pool. Thanks for any and all info! :)

I HIGHLY recommend emailing the school. Out of all the schools (7 as of now) I have interviewed for, Carver has been the most transparent! Something I really REALLY appreciate!

Good question. I am in the same boat. Interviewing on Monday

First acceptance and at one of my top choices!!!! I couldn't be happier. :)
Interviewed 12/12, OOS, LizzyM: 75.
Good luck to all!

Haven't heard anything since my interview in November. Would sending them an email be wise since on the portal they said emailing them will not expedite a decision? Or should I just wait?

for accepted students, when we will know whether there is any scholarship awarded?

Accepted today, interviewed 12/21. very happy
I can not tell if you are trolling or not because you said you interviewed on 12/19 which I did and your mdapps page says you went to university of michigan medical school in the 2006 cycle.....

From what I heard at the interview yesterday, there will only be 20 OOS acceptances sent out from the final pool with movement on the waitlist ranging from the top 5 to the top 27 OOS ranked students depending on the year. There was a higher number of OOS applicants this year. Numerically, that does put us at a significant disadvantage, as 100 of the approximately 375 OOS applicants will have been offered admission before our apps are even considered for the remaining 20 offers of OOS admission.

*internally dies a little inside* Did they say how
From what I heard at the interview yesterday, there will only be 20 OOS acceptances sent out from the final pool with movement on the waitlist ranging from the top 5 to the top 27 OOS ranked students depending on the year. There was a higher number of OOS applicants this year. Numerically, that does put us at a significant disadvantage, as 100 of the approximately 375 OOS applicants will have been offered admission before our apps are even considered for the remaining 20 offers of OOS admission.
many OOS applicants are being interviewed in January?

So they've sent out 100 OOS acceptances for 30 spots and hope to fill 20 more spots from the final pool? Do you know if they reject most OOS that previously interviewed and did not get acccepted or do they get pooled?

Looks like there will be a lot of competition in the final pool but their OOS yield is also low.

Does everyone who is not admitted after the interview get final pooled?

MD/PhD Student here at Carver College of Medicine:
-Happy New years to y'all.
-to EEtoPre-Med - for applicants they are placed in three categories - flat reject, final pool or review for rolling admissions. If you make it for review for rolling admissions, you are either accepted into the class or put into the final pool
-to nousername4444 - 50 spot for OOS and 100 spots for IS. And if you previously applied, you are at an advantage if you actually called/talked with admissions and made the changes they recommended.

And shameless advertising here for Housing at Alpha Kappa Kappa Medical Fraternity [both guys and ladies lives here] .

AKK is a great place, especially for the price. Rent is $350 per month. That includes parking, milk, cereal, on site washer/dryer, cable, gym, wireless internet, all utilities, bike shed, a fully furnished kitchen (coffee maker, pots/pans/utensils-no need to bring any kitchen items), and many study spaces including a library with medical textbooks.

We are a short 15 minute walk from MERF [medical school building]. The best part of AKK is the community - there are around 20 people living in AKK at anytime. We have a range of medical students from different years. We also have international medical students that live here during their Iowa rotation [students from Sweden, Germany, Brazil, Spain, etc.]

If you have any questions about AKK, feel free to e-mail [email protected] . If you have any questions about the school, feel free to direct message me.
-website here: http://www.alphakappakappa.org/

Best Wishes

MD/PhD Student here at Carver College of Medicine:
-Happy New years to y'all.
-to EEtoPre-Med - for applicants they are placed in three categories - flat reject, final pool or review for rolling admissions. If you make it for review for rolling admissions, you are either accepted into the class or put into the final pool
-to nousername4444 - 50 spot for OOS and 100 spots for IS. And if you previously applied, you are at an advantage if you actually called/talked with admissions and made the changes they recommended.
Is there anyway to know if you've been up for review for rolling admissions before being pushed into the final pool?

@researchlover do you have any insight about the summer research fellowship and whether or not many pre-M1s participate in it? Thanks!

@researchlover do you have any insight about the summer research fellowship and whether or not many pre-M1s participate in it? Thanks!

Quite a few people participate in the summer research fellowship (SRF) as a pre-M1. I am not sure on the exact number, but I would guess around 20 people. It is a great opportunity to get paid and build your CV during the summer. Many more people participate in the SRF after their M1 year - I am not familiar with the MSTP students and SRF.

Quite a few people participate in the summer research fellowship (SRF) as a pre-M1. I am not sure on the exact number, but I would guess around 20 people. It is a great opportunity to get paid and build your CV during the summer. Many more people participate in the SRF after their M1 year - I am not familiar with the MSTP students and SRF.
Thank you!

Is there anyway to know if you've been up for review for rolling admissions before being pushed into the final pool?

I would e-mail admissions to see if you are being reviewed for rolling phase. At this point, if you were told that you were in final pool, you were likely reviewed for rolling admissions and placed in final pool.

- and to gocubsgo20 -> students do summer research fellowships as Pre-M1s. You should also consider IMEI [introduction to medical education at Iowa]. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited: