2016-2017 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! OOS, adding to the MI crew on here. Lizzy M low 60s. Submitted the day the secondary was released.

Seriously so excited I could cry

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone, especially my fellow out of staters giving me hope! Was it a portal update or email?

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone, especially my fellow out of states giving me hope! Was it a portal update or email?

I was notified via email. Oddly enough the secondary app portal did not mention anything regarding the II. They provide a link in the email that only allows you to confirm, deny, or request a different interview date.

For those of you who are applying with average or slightly below average stats, stay optimistic– my stats are below the average matriculant at CU. A solid personal statement and EC's will go a long way, apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think someone who applying to CU with a 3.7 GPA, 510 MCAT (~32 on the old MCAT), and who is hispanic but OOS has a good chance of getting in? It seems like CU is pretty interested in diversity, particularly hispanic population
The numbers are certainly competitive. But the equation depends on so many other factors and randomness that it is far from a guaranteed interview.

Congrats! What interview dates could you select from?

You can call the office and get a different date. They interview on almost every Friday and you can choose through November

Do they practice silent rejection pre-secondary?

Do they practice silent rejection pre-secondary?
It's still very early to be thinking about a silent rejection. Last year they ended up sending out 4784 secondaries and they are nowhere near that so far this season. If you're dying of curiosity, they periodically update their admissions tracker to show a count of how many secondaries and ultimately how many offers have gone out so far. As of 9/7, 988 secondaries had gone out. Heres the link if anybody wants something new to obsessively check: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/education/Admissions/Pages/admissions.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how selective CU is in their secondary invitation? I can't imagine that only about 1000 secondaries have been sent out when about 5700 applications have been submitted. I heard that if you meet a certain GPA/MCAT cut off, you automatically get a secondary but this figure doesn't correlate with that.

Does anyone know how selective CU is in their secondary invitation? I can't imagine that only about 1000 secondaries have been sent out when about 5700 applications have been submitted. I heard that if you meet a certain GPA/MCAT cut off, you automatically get a secondary but this figure doesn't correlate with that.
CU actually reads primary apps prior to sending out secondaries and with 5700 applications that takes some time with a limited amount of people reading apps. Just be patient, but the secondaries actually do mean they are interested in learning more about you not just that your scores met a minimum.

Good to hear that. I was a bit skeptical about my chance at CU when I got my secondary 2 days after getting verified and I am oos. I got verified on 8/12 for those who are interested to know. Thanks for letting us know this. Now this gives me hope that I might have a chance here.
CU actually reads primary apps prior to sending out secondaries and with 5700 applications that takes some time with a limited amount of people reading apps. Just be patient, but the secondaries actually do mean they are interested in learning more about you not just that your scores met a minimum.

The tracker now shows 2461 secondary applications sent - Am I reading this right?

It's still very early to be thinking about a silent rejection. Last year they ended up sending out 4784 secondaries and they are nowhere near that so far this season. If you're dying of curiosity, they periodically update their admissions tracker to show a count of how many secondaries and ultimately how many offers have gone out so far. As of 9/7, 988 secondaries had gone out. Heres the link if anybody wants something new to obsessively check: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/education/Admissions/Pages/admissions.aspx
Thanks for the link! Another school with the cool admission trackers!

II just now, ahhhhh love this school! OOS complete 8/14, under review 8/24

Super excited to be interviewing at this school! Wanted to attend this school since I decided to pursue medicine!

Reactions: 2 users
Super excited to be interviewing at this school! Wanted to attend this school since I decided to pursue medicine!

Congrats! Did you just get an II too?

I got an II a few days ago. I will also be interviewing for the rural track as well. Nervous and excited all at once!
The current students on my interview day had amazing things to say about the rural track!

The current students on my interview day had amazing things to say about the rural track!
Anything in particular that you remember them saying? I love rural medicine and Colorado is so rural I feel like I would love to be in their track! Most of my experience is in rural medicine.

Anything in particular that you remember them saying? I love rural medicine and Colorado is so rural I feel like I would love to be in their track! Most of my experience is in rural medicine.

Nice! They said that students in the rural track had a lot of early exposure to hands-on clinical medicine and that the leader of the track was very passionate about rural medicine and supportive. Made me wish I had expressed interest in it, even though my passion is actually urban medicine! Good luck with the interview!

I submitted my secondary a couple days ago, but didn't submit the fee as I have FAP. When I go to check my status it still lets me go on the link to pay. Should I call them tomorrow or am I waiting for them to change this manually?

I submitted my secondary a couple days ago, but didn't submit the fee as I have FAP. When I go to check my status it still lets me go on the link to pay. Should I call them tomorrow or am I waiting for them to change this manually?
It usually takes about 1~2 weeks for FAP to be processed

Just confirmed my date, this just got real :DAnyone else interviewing 10/14?

For anyone worried about the secondary payment verification, mine took 22 days to go through. So don't stress too hard if it takes a while :)

For anyone worried about the secondary payment verification, mine took 22 days to go through. So don't stress too hard if it takes a while :)
Just checked my status. Mine took forever too! Secondary submitted 9/2 payment received 9/27.

II!!! OOS, LizzyM 76, complete mid July but payment was processed 7/28...anyone know if they do students hosts?

Reactions: 1 users
II just now, OOS, LizzyM approx. 76, application under review 8/23, Does anyone know if the interview is open file or closed file? Are both interviews with someone on the admissions committee?

II just now, OOS, LizzyM approx. 76, application under review 8/23, Does anyone know if the interview is open file or closed file? Are both interviews with someone on the admissions committee?
They are open file (but interviewers do not know your GPA or MCAT score). Interviews can be with a broad spectrum of peeps from school community members to volunteers to current students to faculty.
Good luck, and congrats!

Last edited:
They are open file (but interviewers do not know your GPA or MCAT score). Interviews can be with a broad spectrum of peeps from community members to volunteers to current students to faculty.
Good luck, and congrats!
Community members? Like they just find people from outside to interview you?

Community members? Like they just find people from outside to interview you?
I should have clarified... School community members (not necessarily faculty or students, but other staff/volunteers/affiliates etc.).

II!!! OOS, LizzyM 76, complete mid July but payment was processed 7/28...anyone know if they do students hosts?

In the interview invite email there is a link with information on the interview. One of the bullets is about where to stay and there is an email address for people interested in staying with a student host.

This is very helpful! Thanks for posting.

did anyone get a confirmation e-mail before your interview and is there a pre-interview social the day before?

Does anyone know if there's a shuttle to the Boulder campus? Uber estimates are expensive lol