2016-2017 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Part A. The School of Medicine regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. Please write about things in your background that have been important to your development or that have been challenging to you on your path to a career in medicine. These could include your socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and work or life experiences. Explain how these have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
Part B. Please write about the “fit” between your experiences and goals and the University of Colorado School of Medicine. If you are a reapplicant, please include information on how your application has changed.

Please answer both parts in this single essay. Limit the essay to 1500 characters, including spaces (approximately 300 words).

-Part C. If you are a re-applicant, please explain how you and your application has changed since your previous submission. Limit this response to 1500 Characters.

-(Optional) If after reviewing the information for these optional tracks you would like to apply to one of them, complete the essay for the track you wish to apply to in the appropriate box below. Please limit each essay to 1500 characters, including spaces

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm going to be an M2 here next year. If you have any questions feel free to ask them here or PM. I have a pretty consistent presence and can answer pretty quickly. I am also in CUUNITE and the Springs branch for those who are interested.

Hello! I will be reapplying to University of Colorado this year. I applied a couple of years ago and never made it off the high priority wait list. Really loved the school when I interviewed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I'm going to be an M2 here next year. If you have any questions feel free to ask them here or PM. I have a pretty consistent presence and can answer pretty quickly. I am also in CUUNITE and the Springs branch for those who are interested.
Do you know if Colorado accepts CC prerequisites? The MSAR doesn't have the boxes checked, but they aren't crossed out either. Thanks!

Does this school have a regional preference or is it OOS friendly? I will be applying from Florida
According to MSAR, there is a regional preference, and this is also confirmed on their website.
IS:
687 applications / 291 interviews / 119 matriculated
OOS:
6,241 applications / 403 interviews / 61 matriculated

I've heard Colorado being mentioned on SDN as having a high service requirement for applicants but can't seem to find any specific data on this on their website or even here. Is there an approx. number of hours I should be aware of? I'd love to apply but don't want to waste an app.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Do you know if Colorado accepts CC prerequisites? The MSAR doesn't have the boxes checked, but they aren't crossed out either. Thanks!
Yes! I was accepted after taking Physics II at a CC. That said, it is certainly better to take as many a possible at a 4 year University, or at the very least demonstrate proficiency in upper level coursework.
Does this school have a regional preference or is it OOS friendly? I will be applying from Florida
According to MSAR, there is a regional preference, and this is also confirmed on their website.
IS:
687 applications / 291 interviews / 119 matriculated
OOS:
6,241 applications / 403 interviews / 61 matriculated
While those numbers are accurate, keep in mind CU is part of the WUE program, so many students from states like Wyoming are considered "OOS" but are given "IS" preference. So there is a preference wore Colorado and certain WUE residents. However, it is more than possible to get accepted as an OOS student from Florida and other OOS states, so it is worth applying if you are genuinely interested
I've heard Colorado being mentioned on SDN as having a high service requirement for applicants but can't seem to find any specific data on this on their website or even here. Is there an approx. number of hours I should be aware of? I'd love to apply but don't want to waste an app.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
That mostly applied to previous admissions deans. For the current administration, I am not aware of any hour requirements. Obviously you still need to be a competitive applicant to be accepted, but you will be screened out based on service thresholds.

Reactions: 1 user
Wonder when the secondary will be released.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes! I was accepted after taking Physics II at a CC. That said, it is certainly better to take as many a possible at a 4 year University, or at the very least demonstrate proficiency in upper level coursework.

While those numbers are accurate, keep in mind CU is part of the WUE program, so many students from states like Wyoming are considered "OOS" but are given "IS" preference. So there is a preference wore Colorado and certain WUE residents. However, it is more than possible to get accepted as an OOS student from Florida and other OOS states, so it is worth applying if you are genuinely interested

That mostly applied to previous admissions deans. For the current administration, I am not aware of any hour requirements. Obviously you still need to be a competitive applicant to be accepted, but you will be screened out based on service thresholds.

I'm a Colorado resident...does this WUE thing mean I can apply to medical schools outside of CO and get in-state preference??

I don't think so, that would be cool if that is the case though.

I'm a Colorado resident...does this WUE thing mean I can apply to medical schools outside of CO and get in-state preference??
For medical school no. It really only applies to schools without a medical school (like Wyoming and Montana).

I feel like we are at a pretty big disadvantage overall by being a Colorado resident. I've heard some terror stories about CU admissions...they seem abnormally selective. We only have one state school; residents of other states have multiple or don't have admissions requirements as extreme as CU. Am I wrong here?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like we are at a pretty big disadvantage overall by being a Colorado resident. I've heard some terror stories about CU admissions...they seem abnormally selective. We only have one state school; residents of other states have multiple or don't have admissions requirements as extreme as CU. Am I wrong here?
Acceptance rate is roughly 20% for IS students from what I understand. Odds are poor in Colorado in terms of staying in state compared to several other states but we are in no way the worst.

Hey @claduva94 was wondering if you could talk about CUUNITE track? Did you write an essay during your secondary or do they accept students after admission? What unique opportunities are available to you as a result of this track? Do you get additional funding or loans during the summer? Just curious your thoughts and feelings around it. Thanks.
I did write an essay with my secondary but that is not necessary. You just need to apply before school starts (and ideally the summer) because there are limited spaces. In terms of opportunities, I am particularly fond of Spanish opportunities. The track provides funding to take Spanish classes. I am also currently writing this from Nicaragua as part of a CUUNITE sponsored trip to learn Spanish and help out a little bit in the community. I got a stipend for this but I understand the grant expires after this year so future grants are uncertain. We are offered loans from the university for the summer though.

Just as a whole, the track provides a great understanding of the needs and resources for the underserved. The other tracks are also fantastic and I encourage you to look into those as well since you can only join one.

Oh I see so the track is sponsoring you to Nicaragua to improve your Spanish, which in turn will help in the local urban community. Or is the track just focused on any urban center worldwide? I think I am going to plan on applying if I get accepted instead of writing essay with my secondary. Do you think it would be more advantageous to do the essay with the secondary, showing my specific interest in a program? Are these Spanish classes advanced or even basic? I took Spanish in HS and have used it here and there, but I am very interested in improving it, especially for working around Aurora. That is too bad about the grant. I would rather get a stipend then have to take additional loans to cover summer expenses. Yea I am really torn between 3 tracks at this point haha.
I think, realistically, it has a greater focus in the states. It is just Spanish is so useful in the US as well. I don't think it will make a difference when you apply though. If you show legitimate interest they will note it regardless. Tbh I would save your time and apply if accepted. And the classes range from beginner to advanced and they have placement tests to determine where you stand.

Secondary received and submitted OOS here.

Last edited:
so this may seem like a silly question but can someone explain why the school is abbreviated CU SOM and not UC SOM?

My guess is that "UC" is typically associated with University of California and they didn't want any confusion. Just a guess though!

Hey I am genuinely interested in the CSB route, and would love to hear about it. I am also wondering if I choose that I want to be considered for that in my 3rd year, does that limit me to only being accepted to that campus or can I still be considered for the Aurora campus if I'm not chosen -- a pessimistic but realistic question I suppose, haha!

My guess is that "UC" is typically associated with University of California and they didn't want any confusion. Just a guess though!

This is the reason. CU Boulder was the first campus to officially use the CU name. Until recently both the Denver and Colorado Springs campus still used UC (UCD for Denver, UCCS for Colorado Springs), which was confusing. I think they're finally gradually changing all the names to CU.

President Obama comically didn't know it was CU instead of UC when he made a campus visit and gave a speech, got a very interesting reaction from the crowd...

A couple questions about the tracks at CU. I am interested in both the global health and CU UNITE tracks. It doesn't look like there is a spot to write an essay regarding interest for the global health track, is this something you just apply for after acceptance? And can you apply for multiple tracks?

A couple questions about the tracks at CU. I am interested in both the global health and CU UNITE tracks. It doesn't look like there is a spot to write an essay regarding interest for the global health track, is this something you just apply for after acceptance? And can you apply for multiple tracks?

They give you the option to indicate your interest in a particular track on the supplemental. I'm not sure if you can do both CU UNITE and global health because I had to indicate that I wasn't interested in CU UNITE in order for the global health option to appear.

They give you the option to indicate your interest in a particular track on the supplemental. I'm not sure if you can do both CU UNITE and global health because I had to indicate that I wasn't interested in CU UNITE in order for the global health option to appear.

You can only do one track.

Hey I am genuinely interested in the CSB route, and would love to hear about it. I am also wondering if I choose that I want to be considered for that in my 3rd year, does that limit me to only being accepted to that campus or can I still be considered for the Aurora campus if I'm not chosen -- a pessimistic but realistic question I suppose, haha!
I know I answered this in a PM but I am answering here so everyone can see it. Applications are considered regardless of branch preference. Branch determinations are made after the class has been formed in June or July.
@bashful-llama is correct that you can only be in one track because they all meet at the same time. You don't apply to Global Health until the first week of class. Only CU-UNITE and the rural track make selections prior to matriculation. However, acceptance isn't binding, so if you are interested in one of those I would go ahead and apply.

Do you have to be verified to receive a secondary? Or will they send them to everyone who designated Colorado and has above the minimum MCAT score?

PM me if you'd like an MS3's perspective on the branch. We are now about 3 months into third year down in the Springs.

For the current med students, why did you choose the University of Colorado? I'm trying to figure out how to write about my diversity and my "fit" for this school because honestly, I've just loved Denver when I've visited and I want to move to Denver/Aurora.

For the current med students, why did you choose the University of Colorado? I'm trying to figure out how to write about my diversity and my "fit" for this school because honestly, I've just loved Denver when I've visited and I want to move to Denver/Aurora.

Not a current medical student but take a look at the website! They have a ton of good info on student organizations and track programs. I focused on my interests in public and global health and how I would benefit from the global health track at CU as well as giving a background on my travels and experiences that lead me to those interests.

Okay, so you just went off of their tracks. I was looking at that but didn't know if just mentioning their tracks would be enough. Thanks for the info! I now know what to write about.

Okay, so you just went off of their tracks. I was looking at that but didn't know if just mentioning their tracks would be enough. Thanks for the info! I now know what to write about.

Well the global health track specifically. But i didn't JUST mention the track. I also mentioned things like the student run clinics and other organizations. And Like I said I spoke about specifically WHY the global health track and how I'd use what I learned to benefit the populations that I'd serve.

Whatever you choose to write about, answer the questions fully.

Ummmm. what does this mean: Please check this box to verify that you understand that you must be eligible to receive Federal Student Aid to be admitted to the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

Does it basically mean you have to be a US citizen, or that you have to make less than a certain amount?

Ummmm. what does this mean: Please check this box to verify that you understand that you must be eligible to receive Federal Student Aid to be admitted to the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

Does it basically mean you have to be a US citizen, or that you have to make less than a certain amount?

The former.

The character count for the secondary essays states 1500 characters including spaces but that is not approximately 300 words? Can someone explain?

In state, never received a fee processed email but it went through on my bank statements.

Status just changed to "under review" in the portal. Hear we go!

+1. Submitted 07/15 I guess they were joking about 7-10 [business] days to process the payment!!

Let's hope this means II will be sent out earlier this year! (late August last year).

Hello,

I'm currently applying to Colorado this term and am trying to decide if I should apply to the CUUNITE track? If i apply to it, will I still be considered for general admission? What I am concerned about is if I apply, I do not want my chances of getting in to lower because the CUUNITE only accepts 10-15 students. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hello,

I'm currently applying to Colorado this term and am trying to decide if I should apply to the CUUNITE track? If i apply to it, will I still be considered for general admission? What I am concerned about is if I apply, I do not want my chances of getting in to lower because the CUUNITE only accepts 10-15 students. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Admissions decisions for the med school are made independent of decisions on branch and track!

Checking in as also under review, as of yesterday! Submitted 7/16

Hi all, quick question here about recommendation letters at CU. I have a committee letter with 6 individual letters + an extra letter from the committee. CU's website states pretty clearly that they will accept 3-5 letters. Since I can't divide up the letters that are part of the "committee packet," does anyone know how to approach this? Do I risk annoying my application readers at CU if I submit the entire packet? Has anyone been in the same boat at CU or at other schools? Thanks!

Hi all, quick question here about recommendation letters at CU. I have a committee letter with 6 individual letters + an extra letter from the committee. CU's website states pretty clearly that they will accept 3-5 letters. Since I can't divide up the letters that are part of the "committee packet," does anyone know how to approach this? Do I risk annoying my application readers at CU if I submit the entire packet? Has anyone been in the same boat at CU or at other schools? Thanks!

pretty sure the committee letter packet just counts as one letter. but as the above poster mentioned, it's up to the discretion of the reviewer which/how many letters within the packet they read.

Is anyone else having the application say that the "Secondary application process for 2017 is closed." when they click on the link for the secondary? It worked for me Friday and yesterday, but today I keep getting that message.