2016-2017 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for the question about what your plans are during your time off from school, I only have 6 months between graduation and matriculation and I was planning on just working 24/7 to save money. Is this frowned upon? I feel like they're looking from something more meaningful or like medically related.

Members don't see this ad.

So for the question about what your plans are during your time off from school, I only have 6 months between graduation and matriculation and I was planning on just working 24/7 to save money. Is this frowned upon? I feel like they're looking from something more meaningful or like medically related.
Meh. Just spin it as "real world experience," I'm sure they'll be satisfied if you're actually getting out and doing SOMETHING with your time off.

What tactic did you all take for the "alternate career" essay? I am inclined to say something related to music or travel, but then I'm not sure if thats too out there and different from medicine. My other thought was public health but that could be counted as 'health care worker' so I don't want to risk looking like I can't follow directions. But then, I'm concerned as music/travel related careers are too far from the altruism of medicine.

Probably overthinking this, but not sure which approach to take, as I am already a career changer.

I wrote that I wanna be a doctor for X, Y, Z reasons, and I would look for some other career that hit the same boxes. Then I gave an example of one and why I think it would fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my girlfriend of 3 years lives in Cincy and I've been here many times. Is that an appropriate "tie" to the area? I'm a little hesitant to write that...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So my girlfriend of 3 years lives in Cincy and I've been here many times. Is that an appropriate "tie" to the area? I'm a little hesitant to write that...

I would probably frame it as family living there. I don't think that's too much of a reach.

Today I got my secondary application, but my AMCAS is not verified. Did that happen to any of you guys?

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if they do that with everyone
This happened to me with another school as well and I read on their thread that AMCAS sends name and contact info of all applicants to schools before the primary is verified so that's why we got it ahead of time!

This happened to me with another school as well and I read on their thread that AMCAS sends name and contact info of all applicants to schools before the primary is verified so that's why we got it ahead of time!

That's great!

First-time OOS applicant here! On the third question, what does it mean "or no contest to any moving traffic violations"? Would you say yes if you received a speeding ticket but didn't go to court for it?

FWIW, speeding tickets are considered "civil infractions" and I don't think that is what they are after in this question (for anyone reading through this, as I'm sure Akenya has already submitted).

They are after speeding tickets. They want to see if one, you will own up to any mistakes, and two, whether or not you continue making the same mistakes. One or two will be no big deal and have no impact. More than that you better have some good stats to offset any concerns.

I wrote that I wanna be a doctor for X, Y, Z reasons, and I would look for some other career that hit the same boxes. Then I gave an example of one and why I think it would fit.
This is what I did, although in the reverse order. I was honest and chose a career that I really would want to do if medicine didn't exist (that also can be reflected in some of my activities), and then described how the qualities I like about the career are also found in healthcare.

Members don't see this ad :)
II received! Really surprised that it came this early, because I submitted the secondary days ago.

Last edited:
38 MCAT 3.5 GPA. Submitted my secondary application 7/29. OOS

Last edited:
I have not heard yet from Ohio State, would it be appropriate to send them an email saying that I am going to be in the area?

Ahhh II today!!! First one, so excited!

In state, LizzyM 75, submitted 7/12

II, OOS, LizzyM 75.

Signing onto this forum makes me a little nervous about the moving violations question since I checked "no". Was under the impression that the question was asking about current moving violations on records. The other questions are phrased "Have you ever..." whereas the traffic question is phrased "Have you been.." My record is currently clean but my 10-year history (if we go back that far) is not, should I call admissions and notify them about this?

EDIT: Called the office, and they confirmed that it's moving violations in one's lifetime. They were very nice and instructed me to shoot them an email with my update, as well as include the info in my interview confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:
II just now!! I'm an incoming SMP student here, super pumped to start classes and loving the area so far.

Edit: IS, Lizzy M 68-70

Last edited:
II IS mcat 518 gpa 3.97 submitted secondary July 12

Last edited:
congrats to everyone who got an II!

do you guys mind sharing when you were complete?

thanks!

So if your interview is in August don't worry about sending Ohio State an in the area request. They don't interview until September.

Got first II! Lizzy M score of 73. Submitted secondary 7/25. IS

II today! 37 MCAT and 3.85 GPA. OOS and submitted 7/13/16.

You guys all have beautiful stats, haha. Congrats!

When is the secondary due? I can't find the due date anywhere in the email or on their website. Obviously the "two weeks" rule still applies, this is for the sake of curiosity. The only school that I can't find a due date for, so it's a blank cell in my spreadsheet.

Hopefully someone can relate to that.

According to the MSAR, it's November 20th

Got Interview invite! Submitted 7/18
First one, very excited

First II!! Anyone else on August 31?
OOS LizzyM ~76 complete 7/30

August 20th over here... that's like just over a week away!!! woah

Very interested in UC. hoping to hear back about an interview soon.

II received today! I am on August 31st too!
OOS, Secondary submitted 7/14, LizzyM 77

Also in case someone else is still wondering about the alternate career question, I wrote about how I'd genuinely considered being an animal control officer or a wildlife ressearcher or photographer, which is hardly related to medicine, and it doesn't seem to have hindered me!

Reactions: 1 users
Got II Monday. IS Lizzy ~75. Complete 8/3

Very fast turnaround...