2018-2019 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The secondary starts with questions re possible convictions and previous matriculations, with 750 characters each for explanations.

If you will not be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program between now and matriculation, provide a thorough explanation of all activities planned between now and your matriculation into medical school (Fall 2019). (1000 characters)

Briefly describe what specific resources or opportunities offered by the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine you intend to utilize as a medical student and explain how these are consistent with your own interests. Please consider the uniqueness of our opportunities, our institution, our city, and/or our mission. (2000 char)

The University of Cincinnati is highly committed to selecting and cultivating students who can transform the field of medicine through the use of their distinct talents and attributes. Please tell us how you offer “diversity of thought” to our incoming class. Please also consider sharing unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background that represent the diversity that you bring. (2000 char)

Interview Feedback: University of Cincinnati College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary received today! @gyngyn

Starts with a bunch of checkboxes re possible convictions and previous matriculations, with 750 characters each for explanations.
If you will not be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program between now and matriculation, provide a thorough explanation of all activities planned between now and your matriculation into medical school (Fall 2019). (1000 characters)

Briefly describe what specific resources or opportunities offered by the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine you intend to utilize as a medical student and explain how these are consistent with your own interests. Please consider the uniqueness of our opportunities, our institution, our city, and/or our mission. (2000 char)

The University of Cincinnati is highly committed to selecting and cultivating students who can transform the field of medicine through the use of their distinct talents and attributes. Please tell us how you offer “diversity of thought” to our incoming class. Please also consider sharing unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background that represent the diversity that you bring. (2000 char)

Reactions: 1 users
One of my top choices, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhhh I haven’t received a secondary yet, but I hope to soon! One of my top choices.

Got mine this morning. Apparently some of them are working over the weekend.

Good luck everyone! I'm an incoming M1, so if you have any questions about anything I can answer, feel free to HMU :)

Good luck everyone! I'm an incoming M1, so if you have any questions about anything I can answer, feel free to HMU :)

What would you say was the biggest draw to the school for you?

What would you say was the biggest draw to the school for you?

So basically I went into the cycle last year with zero expectations bc my MCAT was good but my grades were wonky. I applied to 25 schools including all the OH schools cuz its my home state. I didn't know much about Cinci and it was my first interview, but when I attended it I was BLOWN AWAY. That first draw was the enthusiasm everyone had about being there but the more I learned about it the more I fell in love with other aspects of the school, like its curriculum (systems-based!!!), grading system (pass/fail first two years with quartile ranking), and emphasis on student wellness. It felt like a really cooperative, fun, friendly place to be, and Cinci as a city is right up my alley.

I'd honestly say the first and even biggest draw was fit. I could really see myself being happy and supported there. That, IMO, is the most important thing about choosing a medical school. If you have options, you can really be successful with a lot of different curriculums (my SO did fine with traditional, non-systems based learning in rural OH, for example), but go where you can see yourself thriving for the next 4+ years. This is more than just about medical/professional education - it's about your own personal development, too!

I had another interview at a school later in the season that had a similar curriculum, but it just didn't feel the same. The facilities were nice and brand new, the students I talked to seemed happy, but it definitely lacked the pure ENERGY that UCCOM had.

If you get accepted and get the chance to go to Second Look, it's worthwhile. After that I felt great about the choice I made, and I had zero qualms about turning down my other acceptance offer and even another II.

Reactions: 2 users
So basically I went into the cycle last year with zero expectations bc my MCAT was good but my grades were wonky. I applied to 25 schools including all the OH schools cuz its my home state. I didn't know much about Cinci and it was my first interview, but when I attended it I was BLOWN AWAY. That first draw was the enthusiasm everyone had about being there but the more I learned about it the more I fell in love with other aspects of the school, like its curriculum (systems-based!!!), grading system (pass/fail first two years with quartile ranking), and emphasis on student wellness. It felt like a really cooperative, fun, friendly place to be, and Cinci as a city is right up my alley.

I'd honestly say the first and even biggest draw was fit. I could really see myself being happy and supported there. That, IMO, is the most important thing about choosing a medical school. If you have options, you can really be successful with a lot of different curriculums (my SO did fine with traditional, non-systems based learning in rural OH, for example), but go where you can see yourself thriving for the next 4+ years. This is more than just about medical/professional education - it's about your own personal development, too!

I had another interview at a school later in the season that had a similar curriculum, but it just didn't feel the same. The facilities were nice and brand new, the students I talked to seemed happy, but it definitely lacked the pure ENERGY that UCCOM had.

If you get accepted and get the chance to go to Second Look, it's worthwhile. After that I felt great about the choice I made, and I had zero qualms about turning down my other acceptance offer and even another II.

Thanks, I'm glad you loved it there! It sounds pretty amazing.

They have pretty high stats. What do you think if a quality that can make up for that? Also I noticed they had a check box for LGBTQ+ and I dont remember that being there last year. Are they trying to recruit more LGBTQ+ students? I know cinci is pretty friendly (I currently live in another OH big city) and I know it has been listed as one of the best LGBTQ+ cities to live in.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have pretty high stats. What do you think if a quality that can make up for that? Also I noticed they had a check box for LGBTQ+ and I dont remember that being there last year. Are they trying to recruit more LGBTQ+ students? I know cinci is pretty friendly (I currently live in another OH big city) and I know it has been listed as one of the best LGBTQ+ cities to live in.

Can't answer your question but if you check their site their actual class average is a 514 MCAT and like 3.7 gpa. Their stats on msar are higher since it's all accepted students and not just matriculants I think.

I'm not sure specifically which quality can make up for subpar stats, but I will say that I tried really hard to tailer my two secondary essays towards their statements/values and specific things about the school.

And yeah, I don't recall there being an LGBTQ+ box last year! If they're trying to actively recruit more LGBTQ+ students, then I think that's great!

I'm not sure specifically which quality can make up for subpar stats, but I will say that I tried really hard to tailer my two secondary essays towards their statements/values and specific things about the school.

And yeah, I don't recall there being an LGBTQ+ box last year! If they're trying to actively recruit more LGBTQ+ students, then I think that's great!
I def made sure the first essay had very specifics about UC. The second one was just kinda "how my background as a gay from rural conservative town has taught me a lot and how I can share my insight with those at UC". And I checked my completed app that you can print out and the LGBTQ+ thing is one of the first things they see so I think they may be! I have talked to a couple people I know on admissions (not at UC) and they said schools and hospitals have been failing to address a lot of LGBT healthcare topics and with the prevalence of visibility in society right now, they are really trying to make up for their oversight in the past. Lets hope this is true for UC!

I def made sure the first essay had very specifics about UC. The second one was just kinda "how my background as a gay from rural conservative town has taught me a lot and how I can share my insight with those at UC". And I checked my completed app that you can print out and the LGBTQ+ thing is one of the first things they see so I think they may be! I have talked to a couple people I know on admissions (not at UC) and they said schools and hospitals have been failing to address a lot of LGBT healthcare topics and with the prevalence of visibility in society right now, they are really trying to make up for their oversight in the past. Lets hope this is true for UC!

I hope so! I'd love to see more student representation and ways to address LGBTQ+ issues in healthcare, and I'd be really happy to go to a school that is actively moving in that direction. And that essay topic sounds really important and strong. Best of luck to you, it sounds like you have a very good shot <33

Got my secondary this morning! Happy 4th!!!:banana:

Hi, everyone! I'm super excited to apply here! On last year's thread, someone mentioned a required service project. Can someone further explain this and whether it is really required? MSAR says there is no service requirement so I am a bit confused.

It says that the character limit for the secondary prompts is 2000. But when I copy and paste from the word document, the text box accepts all my characters even those being 3000. But when directly typing in the text box it doesn't let you add any more than 2000. Do you guys think I will get away with writing more than 2000 if i just copy and paste?

If the school asks for a limit of 2000, it would be wise to stick to that limit. Look at your secondary and cut out anything that isn't vital and be as concise as possible until you are at 2000 or under

It says that the character limit for the secondary prompts is 2000. But when I copy and paste from the word document, the text box accepts all my characters even those being 3000. But when directly typing in the text box it doesn't let you add any more than 2000. Do you guys think I will get away with writing more than 2000 if i just copy and paste?

They might truncate the extra characters after you hit submit. Better stick with their limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UC is one of my top choices. I'm OOS, but only 4-1/2 hrs away. Both parents... PhD, BS graduated from UC. Would adcoms consider this a tie to the school?

UC is one of my top choices. I'm OOS, but only 4-1/2 hrs away. Both parents... PhD, BS graduated from UC. Would adcoms consider this a tie to the school?

They sure would. Good luck!

Does anyone know if UCCOM waits to review applications until after all info (like MCAT scores, letters of rec) arrive or will they start evaluating applications right after secondaries are turned in?
Every else I've looked at requires LOR and MCAT before they look at your stuff. I'd assume it's the same here.

Does anyone know if UCCOM waits to review applications until after all info (like MCAT scores, letters of rec) arrive or will they start evaluating applications right after secondaries are turned in?

Pretty sure that UC is like the vast majority of schools in that they wait for everything to come in and for your application to be complete (MCAT, LoRs, secondary, primary) before they seriously review for interview invite.

And to further complain, it sucks to be waiting on a August-likely committee letter when everything else is in :(

How do you guys find out about any opportunities at this school... the website is so hard to get through
Totally agree about the website. I just had to comb through it for a while and found stuff that piqued my interest. Took more looking than most other schools for me

So I'm checking my application status and there's a to-do item that says "please review and confirm your scheduled interview date." Does that mean anything? Like does everyone's say that or did I miss an interview invite email?

So I'm checking my application status and there's a to-do item that says "please review and confirm your scheduled interview date." Does that mean anything? Like does everyone's say that or did I miss an interview invite email?

They must all say that because I haven't submitted the secondary and mine says that too

Mine says that too, but there doesn't seem to be anything to click or see beyond that.

They just removed it. Probably their IT guys are on this forum and saw the issue being reported.

II received today! Submitted 7/3, cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.67, MCAT 528, IS applicant!

Can anyone find a link to their community outreach opportunities? I am only finding the Student Run Clinic but there must be more right?

Incoming M2 here! Happy to answer any questions I can!

Can anyone find a link to their community outreach opportunities? I am only finding the Student Run Clinic but there must be more right?
I can name a few examples-

Med Mentors: This is a student organization where you can be assigned a mentee (if you want, with another co-mentor medical student). The mentee is usually in elementary or middle school, you meet them and do fun activities with them
Bearcat mentors: Similar, but you mentor undergraduates at UC instead
MedVoUC: This is not just limited to the medical school, it includes other graduate schools but you basically conduct medical outreach under the guidance of a physician
Urban Health Project: UC HealthNews : Medical Students Wrap up Their 1st Year With the Urban Health Project this article is from a few years ago but I know many people who did UHP this summer!
Lastly, in your first year, you and 11-12 other students will be assigned a community agency to work with-and you can definitely conduct outreach there.

Since they specficially ask about it on the secondary, Is having a moving violation (speeding ticket) gonna tank my application?

Since they specficially ask about it on the secondary, Is having a moving violation (speeding ticket) gonna tank my application?

Probably not unless you lie about it and they find out.

Relax. It’s highly unlikely that a regular speeding ticket is going to be a big deal. I would think a large number of applicants, and Adcoms for that matter, have gotten pulled over for speeding.

I’m guessing they ask this to make sure people don’t have handfuls of tickets, as that could indicate a habit of rule breaking or carelessness.