2016-2017 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Were you ever the recipient of an institutional action (i,e. disciplined, probation, suspended, or dismissed) by any college, university, or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even though such action may not have interrupted your enrollment or required you to withdraw? If yes, please explain fully below. (750)

2. Have you ever participated in a pre-conviction program or been convicted of, pled guilty, or no contest to: a felony and/or criminal offense (include information even if charges have been dropped or dismissed)? If yes, please explain below. (1000)

3. Have you ever been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations (moving violations include speeding tickets)? If yes, please explain fully below. (750)

4. Have you ever matriculated at or attended any medical school as a candidate for the M.D. degree? If yes, please explain below. (750)

5. If you will NOT be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program (e.g., you are completing a gap year) between August 2016 and June 2017, please click the button below. Then, in 1000 characters, provide a thorough explanation of all activities planned between now and your matriculation into medical school (Fall 2017). (1000)

6. Briefly describe why you wish to enroll at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. If applicable, please include any personal connection that you have to the University of Cincinnati, our medical school, the Cincinnati area, or our academic health center. (1000)

7. If the healthcare profession did not exist and we did not need healthcare providers, what other occupation(s) would you find personally desirable and why? (1500)

(characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, are there any current students around? Or anyone who got a secondary application back already? I found these prompts for the essays here and want to know if they're right. Thanks!

1. Were you ever the recipient of an institutional action (i,e. disciplined, probation, suspended, or dismissed) by any college, university, or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even though such action may not have interrupted your enrollment or required you to withdraw? If yes, please explain fully below. Your response to this question is limited to 750 characters.

2. Have you ever participated in a pre-conviction program or been convicted of, pled guilty, or no contest to: a felony and/or criminal offense (include information even if charges have been dropped)? If yes, please explain below. Your response to this question is limited to 1000 characters.

3. Have you been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations (moving violations include speeding tickets)? If yes, please explain fully below. Your response to this question is limited to 750 characters.

4. Have you ever matriculated at or attended any medical school as a candidate for the M.D. degree? If yes, please explain below. Your response to this question is limited to 750 characters.

5. If you are NOT currently enrolled in a degree granting program, click on the button below, and please briefly describe your major activities, not listed on AMCAS. Your response to this question is limited to 1000 characters.

6. Briefly describe why you wish to enroll at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. If applicable, please include any personal connection that you have to the University of Cincinnati, our medical school, the Cincinnati area, or our academic health center. (1000 char)

7. Imagine a world in which illness and injury do not exist; all medical facilities and schools have closed because there is no longer a need for these services. What would you choose to do with your life in such a world? (1500 char)

Some schools change their prompts every year. Best way to find out is to check the 2015-16 and 2014-15 threads and see if the prompts match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the secondary e-mail this morning. Is anyone else having a problem logging in with the default password?

Edit: Called IT. Default password uses an 8-digit DOB (mmddyyyy), not 6-digit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
1. Were you ever the recipient of an institutional action (i,e. disciplined, probation, suspended, or dismissed) by any college, university, or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even though such action may not have interrupted your enrollment or required you to withdraw? If yes, please explain fully below. (750)

2. Have you ever participated in a pre-conviction program or been convicted of, pled guilty, or no contest to: a felony and/or criminal offense (include information even if charges have been dropped or dismissed)? If yes, please explain below. (1000)

3. Have you ever been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations (moving violations include speeding tickets)? If yes, please explain fully below. (750)

4. Have you ever matriculated at or attended any medical school as a candidate for the M.D. degree? If yes, please explain below. (750)

5. If you will NOT be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program (e.g., you are completing a gap year) between August 2016 and June 2017, please click the button below. Then, in 1000 characters, provide a thorough explanation of all activities planned between now and your matriculation into medical school (Fall 2017). (1000)

6. Briefly describe why you wish to enroll at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. If applicable, please include any personal connection that you have to the University of Cincinnati, our medical school, the Cincinnati area, or our academic health center. (1000)

7. If the healthcare profession did not exist and we did not need healthcare providers, what other occupation(s) would you find personally desirable and why? (1500)

Pretty similar to last year's looks like! I haven't technically been verified yet but got the email this morning from Cincinatti. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users

Pretty similar to last year's looks like! I haven't technically been verified yet but got the email this morning from Cincinatti. Good luck everyone!

@WedgeDawg

Reactions: 1 user
My MCAT score is cincinnati's area code. I'm thinking it's a sign. I'm gonna be accepted here for sure.

Received today!

Got the secondary e-mail this morning. Is anyone else having a problem logging in with the default password?

Edit: Called IT. Default password uses an 8-digit DOB (mmddyyyy), not 6-digit.
I spent like 15 minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't working until I randomly tried yyyy. Someone should tell them haha

OOS here. But going to school in the midwest.

Was suggested I apply here and become not only a Bengal fan but a Reds fan :) Watching.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOVE this school, but it is quite the reach for me - great peds hospital and Cincy is magical. Good luck, friends!

First-time OOS applicant here! On the third question, what does it mean "or no contest to any moving traffic violations"? Would you say yes if you received a speeding ticket but didn't go to court for it?

Was suggested I apply here and become not only a Bengal fan but a Reds fan :) Watching.

Becoming a Reds fan with the year they're having might be the hardest part of this whole process for you :laugh:

Becoming a Reds fan with the year they're having might be the hardest part of this whole process for you :laugh:

Considering I'm orig from MN, Reds are a step up :D

First-time OOS applicant here! On the third question, what does it mean "or no contest to any moving traffic violations"? Would you say yes if you received a speeding ticket but didn't go to court for it?

Paying the fine of a speeding ticket without appearing in court is equivalent to pleading guilty.

I submitted everything but my application still says "Application Incomplete". Is anyone else having this problem?

This is my first application to this school. Do they hand out secondaries to every applicant or is it a "sorted" secondary. Just curious. I know last cycle I had quite a few auto secondaries, but they school usually verified it on their website.

I submitted everything but my application still says "Application Incomplete". Is anyone else having this problem?

Yep, my letters aren't uploaded yet.

This is my first application to this school. Do they hand out secondaries to every applicant or is it a "sorted" secondary. Just curious. I know last cycle I had quite a few auto secondaries, but they school usually verified it on their website.

Everyone should get a secondary. They aren't screened according to MSAR.

I have yet to be verified by AMCAS but Cincinnati has already sent me secondaries. I'm kind of weary of filling it out because it asks for my social security, but I don't want to be putting it off if it is a real email from them. I'm just kind of confused as to how they would know to send me a secondary app without verification. Is this unusual?

I have yet to be verified by AMCAS but Cincinnati has already sent me secondaries. I'm kind of weary of filling it out because it asks for my social security, but I don't want to be putting it off if it is a real email from them. I'm just kind of confused as to how they would know to send me a secondary app without verification. Is this unusual?

I just asked this question yesterday. Here is the reply:

Everyone should get a secondary. They aren't screened according to MSAR.

As for SSN. There really is no problem placing SSN on it. I have used my SSN for job apps all the time in the past. If you have a good antivirus/malware, you shouldn't have to worry about keylogger malware.

I think so. I had a similar incident as you, where I got the citation, went online to check "plead guilty" and paid the fine, basically the same as "no contest." I already mentioned my ticket on AMCAS though, so I'm pretty much just copy/pasting what I put there. :p

Is anyone else having a hard time logging into the secondary?

Cant for the life of me login to this app! Tried both ***mmddyy and ***mmddyyyy and still no luck.

Same here. Everything is there (including my letters), but despite submitting two days ago I'm still incomplete.

Maybe the letters were received but haven't been processed? I have no idea. I'm also incomplete.

Getting ready to submit the secondary this week and I noticed that there's this thing in corner of the med stop portal that says "8/15/2016 - Class of 2017 "Match II" Meeting" under student calendar events? wtf is this?

That's probably a calendar for all students and the meeting is for M4s getting ready for the match.

OOS applicant, just submitted secondary. Attending their SMP in August and would love to stay for med school!

How much detail are you guys going into if you've gotten speeding tickets?
I read that you just have to mention/acknowledge it. They just don't want anything to pop up unexpectedly. And it helps to show that you're honest and not trying to hide anything.

I just realized I submitted the secondary without including my parent's education level and occupation (included the phone number and address stuff though).. I think it wasn't "mandatory" but I can't remember now and I'm being neurotic about it. Anyone think this is a big deal? I imagine virtually everyone will have this filled in.. It's a top choice school for me..

since the prompt refers to healthcare, does that also mean that research would not exist either?

If you're really passionate about research, and can explain why it'd still be valuable without resulting improvements in human health, I'm sure it'd be fine. But I'm not an adcom, so I don't know

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I took a completely different route and talked about becoming a professional cyclist. lol

How do I even explain the speeding ticket I got? lol.

" I was convicted of a speeding ticket in *** on *** " - do I need to explain more?

submitted, it's kind of a long shot seeing as I'm OOS

Hey did anyone submit the secondary and the fee but their page still says "application incomplete" in blue? My letters are all marked as received as well.

What tactic did you all take for the "alternate career" essay? I am inclined to say something related to music or travel, but then I'm not sure if thats too out there and different from medicine. My other thought was public health but that could be counted as 'health care worker' so I don't want to risk looking like I can't follow directions. But then, I'm concerned as music/travel related careers are too far from the altruism of medicine.

Probably overthinking this, but not sure which approach to take, as I am already a career changer.

What tactic did you all take for the "alternate career" essay? I am inclined to say something related to music or travel, but then I'm not sure if thats too out there and different from medicine. My other thought was public health but that could be counted as 'health care worker' so I don't want to risk looking like I can't follow directions. But then, I'm concerned as music/travel related careers are too far from the altruism of medicine.

Probably overthinking this, but not sure which approach to take, as I am already a career changer.
I said interior design lol. I think it doesn't really matter as long as you can relate that field to what a physician does. I think public health may be too close to medicine because if there weren't disease or medical issues in the world there also wouldn't be a need for public health. Go with your gut! It will give you the best answer for yourself :)

I think public health would be counted as healthcare. Also I suppose it depends on how you would write your essay but I think writing about something very different from healthcare could be okay. Maybe they want to see what other things we are passionate about outside of all the clinical experience and med school prep stuff. That was my thinking which is why I am hesitant to put something more similar like social work. But I could be totally off base which is why I am still considering talking about it lol