2018-2019 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would just give them a call. They edited their Instagram post to say decisions went out on Tuesday, but since they couldn't edit the tweet, they had to take it down.

Oh okay, I'll do that, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would just give them a call. They edited their Instagram post to say decisions went out on Tuesday, but since they couldn't edit the tweet, they had to take it down.

I called and they said that if your status hasn't updated (which mine hasn't), that it means that they just haven't entered your decision yet. I asked for a timeline for when they would potentially be done, but she didn't know.

I called and they said that if your status hasn't updated (which mine hasn't), that it means that they just haven't entered your decision yet. I asked for a timeline for when they would potentially be done, but she didn't know.
Ah, shoot, sorry you have to wait! Hopefully they'll update it this week.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can people move up the alternate list tiers? Is this a thing?
Yes! The committee reassigns you to a position on the WL in April. You could be put on the same tier or move up tiers. I called the adcom and they said that they have had people that were originally on tier 4 ultimately get accepted. There is ~some~ hope!

Does Cincinnati accept financial aid documents after the February 1st deadline? I got the date confused with another school’s

Yes! The committee reassigns you to a position on the WL in April. You could be put on the same tier or move up tiers. I called the adcom and they said that they have had people that were originally on tier 4 ultimately get accepted. There is ~some~ hope!
That is awesome! Thank God! Thanks for letting us know!

Reactions: 1 user
Does Cincinnati accept financial aid documents after the February 1st deadline? I got the date confused with another school’s
That deadline was for priority. So if u made that deadline they would have your financial award sometime in March. Otherwise they will just get to u later. Send it asap, tho I haven't sent mine yet either lolol

That deadline was for priority. So if u made that deadline they would have your financial award sometime in March. Otherwise they will just get to u later. Send it asap, tho I haven't sent mine yet either lolol

Thank you so much!

Does anyone remember Cincinnati's grading system for preclinical years? I know it's pass/fail but is the class ranked?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone remember Cincinnati's grading system for preclinical years? I know it's pass/fail but is the class ranked?

Yes it is pass/fail with quartiles. That being said, I talked to the dean about this and they said that, like anywhere you go, your Step 1 is what really matters. This is for 2 reasons 1. a majority of schools don't rank so PDs can't compare students against a null value. Therefore, most program directors don't up put much stock in it. 2. a person might be 1st in their class at a smaller, less competitive school but would be last in their class if they went to a top tier school. So it doesn't offer the best comparison.

EDIT: this doesn't usually hold with the ROAD specialties (Radiology, Ortho/Optho, Anesthesiology, Derm) and various others these days (PMR and EM) but to that point, see the next answer.

The students there didn't seem to think it was an issue. But yeah it's not ideal.

As a current student, I definitely struggled with this at first because I came from a college where grades were very harsh, but we weren't ranked against each other until graduation (cum laude, magna cum laude etc.) But, as of late, I've seen how much the soft ranking has pushed and motivated to learn the material better, and more in depth, and this motivation will *hopefully* contribute to a higher step score. That being said, I definitely think that this contributes to Cinci's SUPER HIGH step score. so yah, it might not be the most comfortable in the short term, but it seems to pay off significantly in the end.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes it is pass/fail with quartiles. That being said, I talked to the dean about this and they said that, like anywhere you go, your Step 1 is what really matters. This is for 2 reasons 1. a majority of schools don't rank so PDs can't compare students against a null value. Therefore, most program directors don't up put much stock in it. 2. a person might be 1st in their class at a smaller, less competitive school but would be last in their class if they went to a top tier school. So it doesn't offer the best comparison.

EDIT: this doesn't usually hold with the ROAD specialties (Radiology, Ortho/Optho, Anesthesiology, Derm) and various others these days (PMR and EM) but to that point, see the next answer.

As a current student, I definitely struggled with this at first because I came from a college where grades were very harsh, but we weren't ranked against each other until graduation (cum laude, magna cum laude etc.) But, as of late, I've seen how much the soft ranking has pushed and motivated to learn the material better, and more in depth, and this motivation will *hopefully* contribute to a higher step score. That being said, I definitely think that this contributes to Cinci's SUPER HIGH step score. so yah, it might not be the most comfortable in the short term, but it seems to pay off significantly in the end.

If it doesn't really matter, then why have them? That seems counterintuitive.

Also, do you think this makes the classes too competitive or is everyone still pretty collaborative?

If it doesn't really matter, then why have them? That seems counterintuitive.

Also, do you think this makes the classes too competitive or is everyone still pretty collaborative?

That's a good question. I think it has something to do with the intrinsic motivation of all medical students and because having a small amount of healthy competition drives up test scores and information retention. However, per the deans, who advise the matching and have been PDs themselves, having a 215 but 1st quartile doesn't help you, but having a 245 and 4th quartile ranking is just like having a 245 without ranking because you have shown that you can master the material compared to peers at other institutions. Step 1 is the be all/end all, and going to institution with a high average is what is going to serve you best in the end from that perspective

I'd say were definitely very collaborative compared to some other stories I've heard. We all have our own group chats that we use to ask questions, and its totally fair game to ask questions to other students and expect an honest answer. There is also a MASSIVE class google drive with access to study guides, week-tailored question banks, and various other resources. Also, we have a student that makes these amazing study guides (with memes) and posts them in the class groupme, and student frequently post youtube links or guides that helped them learn a hard concept. People also use the groupme to ask questions about study material to get class input.

That's a good question. I think it has something to do with the intrinsic motivation of all medical students and because having a small amount of healthy competition drives up test scores and information retention. However, per the deans, who advise the matching and have been PDs themselves, having a 215 but 1st quartile doesn't help you, but having a 245 and 4th quartile ranking is just like having a 245 without ranking because you have shown that you can master the material compared to peers at other institutions. Step 1 is the be all/end all, and going to institution with a high average is what is going to serve you best in the end from that perspective

I'd say were definitely very collaborative compared to some other stories I've heard. We all have our own group chats that we use to ask questions, and its totally fair game to ask questions to other students and expect an honest answer. There is also a MASSIVE class google drive with access to study guides, week-tailored question banks, and various other resources. Also, we have a student that makes these amazing study guides (with memes) and posts them in the class groupme, and student frequently post youtube links or guides that helped them learn a hard concept. People also use the groupme to ask questions about study material to get class input.

I appreciate your candid response, it's super helpful. You guys have like a group chat with the entire class in it and you just share stuff and ask questions?

I appreciate your candid response, it's super helpful. You guys have like a group chat with the entire class in it and you just share stuff and ask questions?

Yup all the time :) also, use it to talk about clubs, GOT, ping pong, parties, memes, and bar hopping. Anything that’s relavent at the moment.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, a couple people have reached out to me via private chat with questions, which I will answer to the best of my ability, so if anyone else has any more questions they'd rather not ask the whole group, please send them my way!

So, on this topic, how representative are the exams for STEP? I've heard a common criticism of class exams is that they focus on extraneous information relative to what we need to do well in STEP. Could you touch base on what the exams are like, typical study strategies and how you think both affect your STEP score?

So, on this topic, how representative are the exams for STEP? I've heard a common criticism of class exams is that they focus on extraneous information relative to what we need to do well in STEP. Could you touch base on what the exams are like, typical study strategies and how you think both affect your STEP score?

I can' t say that they aren't hard or that they don't require a lot of studying, but I do know that medical school studying is a special beast, and UC has tailored their curriculum to maximize the efficacy of this. I typically use flashcards, practice questions, phone-a-friend on GroupMe, and tutoring sessions (UC hires M2-4 to tutor us and they are the best thing since sliced bread)

Exams are usually 30-70 questions and are timed on a per question basis (about 90-72 seconds per question at this point in M1). We take it in the same rooms every time, and next to the same people, so there is a bond that is formed at your test taking table over the years. For instance, my table is always discussing our past weekends (all exams are on Mondays except the end of block ones), which I have found helps with the pre-test anxiety.

Basically, the information in lectures/learning materials is presented like 1. symptoms/history/signs -> 2. diagnosis -> 3. treatment (medication and common side effects) -> 4. extraneous information about disease/outcome/exposure. Then a question stem may be give you the 1-2 or 1/3-4 or just 4, but, regardless of the stem, you may be expected to know the rest of the information in order to arrive at the right answer. To add another layer of complexity, question answers always include the next most likely answer as well as similar sounding stuff to confuse you.

What I like about UCCOM is they teach you 1-4 and test you thoroughly and periodically on 1-4 so that it is drilled into your head. That way, when you come across an esoteric/out-there step 1 question, you can use you multifaceted knowledge to pick up on a buzzword/common presentation in the stem to get you on the right track towards the answer. You may not know the all the information in the question, but UCCOM casts a wide enough net that you are able to get the questions right that other students may not have learned about due to their focus on "high yield" stuff (the stuff that is sure to show up on step 1 and that a majority of test takers get right). Also, UCs integration of hard step 1 questions into our weeklies/biweeklies as well as the step 1 finals add to confidence and help you get a feel of the question cadence and common vignettes.

Last edited:
So like when do we like find an apartment/how do we have a place to live once school starts? I don't live anywhere near Ohio so do I have to fly back and forth like 8 times? Any current students have any advice on this?

So like when do we like find an apartment/how do we have a place to live once school starts? I don't live anywhere near Ohio so do I have to fly back and forth like 8 times? Any current students have any advice on this?

No absolutely! For finding a place, I was the same way so I scheduled viewings around my second look scheduling (i.e that Thursday during the day or after brunch on Saturday), and just flew in early. Most people live clustered around the campus so it wasn't too hard to fit in about 4 or so. Also, asking the 2023 fb group for recommendations could be a great place to start because there are current M1/2 on there, so they know the good landlords and the not so good ones. The really popular ones are Stetson and co. (walkable from med school but v expensive), and various apartments around them, mostly owned by Gaslight properties. UC operates a shuttle that picks up from most of these properties, so transportation is not required for getting to school most days. However, you will need transportation for other things in 1st year. Also, CMC properties has some good ones. Fair warning, most stuff is rented out by mid to late May, so I know that there were people who waited too late, and have a not-so-great living situation this year.

For finding a roommate (if applicable), there will be a roommate excel document that is compiled after/around second look and it will be posted on the facebook group.

I remember from interview day, if you get the R from UC, you can call them about your application to see how you could have improved. I would like to know in case I need to reapply next year. Does anyone know the process for this? Do I just call the admissions office?

I lost the little slip of paper they gave out explaining it. Thanks.

Anyone have an idea of when we’ll hear back from financial aid? I know they said March, but I wasn’t sure on whether it would be soon or near the end of the month.

Anyone have an idea of when we’ll hear back from financial aid? I know they said March, but I wasn’t sure on whether it would be soon or near the end of the month.

I just looked and mine was posted 3/21/18, and I was notified via email to my email I had on file (not your mail.uc.edu one) so probably somewhere around there? There are usually pretty on top of it, so I don't think it will be too much later than that (*fingers crossed*). the current students have ours due around then too, and we get our back pretty fast as well. Hope this helps! Also, John Stiles and Christy Edmundson are awesome, so don't be afraid to reach out!

I just looked and mine was posted 3/21/18, and I was notified via email to my email I had on file (not your mail.uc.edu one) so probably somewhere around there? There are usually pretty on top of it, so I don't think it will be too much later than that (*fingers crossed*). the current students have ours due around then too, and we get our back pretty fast as well. Hope this helps! Also, John Stiles and Christy Edmundson are awesome, so don't be afraid to reach out!
Awesome, thanks a ton!

I remember from interview day, if you get the R from UC, you can call them about your application to see how you could have improved. I would like to know in case I need to reapply next year. Does anyone know the process for this? Do I just call the admissions office?

I lost the little slip of paper they gave out explaining it. Thanks.

Just asked admissions about this. They said, yes, you can request a 15 minute call from admissions to go over your decision. They requested that you email [email protected] to set up a time!

I'm withdrawing my acceptance; best of luck to those of you on the waitlist!!

Reactions: 2 users
Do you think they'd be receptive to discussing why I didn't receive an interview? At the risk of sounding like a whiny brat, I felt like maybe they didn't even really review my app. I didn't get the R email until weeks after the final interview date had already passed. Any ideas?

Do you think they'd be receptive to discussing why I didn't receive an interview? At the risk of sounding like a whiny brat, I felt like maybe they didn't even really review my app. I didn't get the R email until weeks after the final interview date had already passed. Any ideas?
when was your secondary in? also what’s your LM?

I don't think any of us would know the answer to that. Best bet would be to contact them and ask.

Submitted kind of late to be honest, in October. Think that had something to do with this? LM of 70.
i would say certainly that would have to do with it, you would need an exceptional LM to stand out when applying that late i think especially if you’re an ORM

i would say certainly that would have to do with it, you would need an exceptional LM to stand out when applying that late i think especially if you’re an ORM

Yeah considering they only gave out interview invites until december that’s a short window

How likely are people to get off the waitlist? I’m on tier 3. Should I submit an LOI? I imagine not many people would want to drop Cincy given how great of a school it is...

Damn this is a really good match list. Feel like it's a big step up from last year. Also didn't Cinci move up like 5-10 spots on USNEWS this year?

Yup yup. :) and that's without taking the Cinci Kids affiliation into account. (Something with the ranking system means we can't)

Last edited:
How likely are people to get off the waitlist? I’m on tier 3. Should I submit an LOI? I imagine not many people would want to drop Cincy given how great of a school it is...

All you can do is try! Admissions says it changes every year so you may have a shot :)

All you can do is try! Admissions says it changes every year so you may have a shot :)
Do you have any recommendations for the timing of the LOI? I know the majority of the action would happen after April 30, but it does look like there was some mid-April movement in prior years. Thanks for all the info you've been sharing, by the way! Really insightful!

Do you have any recommendations for the timing of the LOI? I know the majority of the action would happen after April 30, but it does look like there was some mid-April movement in prior years. Thanks for all the info you've been sharing, by the way! Really insightful!

I'd say asap because I know that there is a lot of shuffling around this time and for the next month :) Also, no problem. It's a great study break :)

For existing students: how involved/difficult is the application process for in-state tuition consideration? Trying to understand the financial obligations. Thanks!

Do any current students know when we need to submit college transcripts to UC? And do immunization requirements need to be done before the start of class?

Do any current students know when we need to submit college transcripts to UC? And do immunization requirements need to be done before the start of class?
At second look they will talk to you about all that - there will be a portal that walks you through everything you need to do and when. If you can't make it to second look you will still obviously get sent all the information you need, it will all be in the portal. They definitely walk you through everything you need to get done which helped assuage a lot of anxiety for me personally!

For existing students: how involved/difficult is the application process for in-state tuition consideration? Trying to understand the financial obligations. Thanks!
I don't know about this personally but if you have any questions definitely reach out to the financial aid office - they are super helpful. You can also make a post on the FB page if you want and I'm sure some current med students who have reclassified will be willing to help.

Speaking of financial aid, if anyone gets their financial aid offer, can they post here? Hoping it arrives soon!

I don't know about this personally but if you have any questions definitely reach out to the financial aid office - they are super helpful. You can also make a post on the FB page if you want and I'm sure some current med students who have reclassified will be willing to help.
Thanks!

Hey, everyone! There are 2 apartments available for next year in my building, which is about a 7-minute walk from campus. 2704 Eden Ave., 45219. One is 3 BR, 1.5 baths for $1350 and one is 2 BR, 1 bath for $950. It's a 4-unit building and I've lived happily here for 3 years. Contact the landlord, Jackie Holmes, at 614-315-2456.

I don't remember the details, but it was super-chill. There is a meeting when you arrive that tells you exactly what to do. The only task I remember is going to get my Ohio license one morning down at the DPS. Then I thought no more about it.