2020-2021 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they still sending out II?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Any current students able to talk about budgeting on loans? I know this site gives a breakdown of what is allocated, but I am curious exactly how much we are given to live off. I'm currently looking for a place to live, but would like a more concrete price range.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my peeps on the waitlist with me, I interviewed last month and I remember the video saying exactly what I read from this Reddit thread:

"Tier 1: Voted to accept but class was tentatively filled (rare). People in this tier are ultimately accepted essentially 100% of the time.
Tier 2: Some voted to accept but mostly voted waitlist. People in this tier have a good chance of getting in but this depends on the year.
Tier 3: Mostly waitlist votes, with some accept (and possible reject i don't remember this part too clearly). People in this tier don't have a great chance of getting in.
Tier 4: All votes were waitlist or reject. The chance of getting in from this tier is very low, unfortunately."

Maybe the admission decision video from the interview day site will be made public again on their next interview day.

Reactions: 1 user
How do fellow potential OOS matriculants feel about living in KY for 4 years in order to save that ~$20,000 in tuition? There are the additional costs with paying for parking, which is about $800 a year, and of course higher gas costs. Still, with a 5% interest that's like $27,000 assuming you start paying it off in 7 years, aka a brand new cheaper tesla that's rumored to be out by that time.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
How do fellow potential OOS matriculants feel about living in KY for 4 years in order to save that ~$20,000 in tuition? There are the additional costs with paying for parking, which is about $800 a year, and of course higher gas costs. Still, with a 5% interest that's like $27,000 assuming you start paying it off in 7 years, aka a brand new cheaper tesla that's rumored to be out by that time.
Newport has some nice areas, but a word of caution. The bridges from Cincy to KY are packed during rush hour. That 12/15min drive can easily hit 30+.

Newport has some nice areas, but a word of caution. The bridges from Cincy to KY are packed during rush hour. That 12/15min drive can easily hit 30+.

Oof. What about in the morning from ky to cincy?

Does anyone know how to find your cincinnati student ID? I'm filling out a form that asks for it.

Any word on rankings or P/F for M1 and M2s? Also - are any current students monitoring this and can speak to the pros/cons of UCCOM?

Any word on rankings or P/F for M1 and M2s? Also - are any current students monitoring this and can speak to the pros/cons of UCCOM?
Accepted student here. Have reached out to admissions multiple times and they have said they have not made a decision yet if there will be internal rankings that use M1/M2 grades yet. Current M1s do not have it due to COVID, but it normally has been in place in years best. Honestly very disappointed that they have been vague and unhelpful during this process. They said they will have a second look virtual event next week to discuss this but then also say they're not sure when a decision will be made. I don't have much personal faith that they will have a decision made by the time we have to narrow down to one school.

• Sad
Has Cincinnati sent pre-II rejections yet or will this happen in one massive wave over the next few days?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if Cincinnati sends pre-II Rs or even IIs during the weekend or Friday nights even?

For any current Cinci students on here, how feasible is it to travel back home as an OOS on the west coast to see family? Does the curriculum schedule allow to travel back home for a weekend once a month?

Soooooo, interviewed at end of February, haven't heard back yet, but just got a really awesome new position. Worth sending an update, or is it too late?

Soooooo, interviewed at end of February, haven't heard back yet, but just got a really awesome new position. Worth sending an update, or is it too late?
I don’t think sending an update could hurt. Good luck!

Considering lack of WL movement I would definitely send all updates possible prior to getting your decision imo

Reactions: 3 users
For March interviewees, if the SDN timeline holds up, we should be hearing back March 29th?

For March interviewees, if the SDN timeline holds up, we should be hearing back March 29th?
If it was the first week of March (3/2 or 3/5), even 3/5 is pushing it. I wouldn't count on it if you interviewed after the first week. They seem to releasing decisions for every three interview dates so 2/23, 2/27, and 3/2. However, they might start increasing that # since we are approaching April and people need to make decisions.

If it was the first week of March (3/2 or 3/5), even 3/5 is pushing it. I wouldn't count on it if you interviewed after the first week. They seem to releasing decisions for every three interview dates so 2/23, 2/27, and 3/2. However, they might start increasing that # since we are approaching April and people need to make decisions.
I’m hoping the latter happens. I interviewed March 9th & would love to make a final decision soon that didn’t carry into April

Considering lack of WL movement I would definitely send all updates possible prior to getting your decision imo

When do you both think an appropriate time to send a letter of interest/intent will be? I don’t want to send it too early, but I also interviewed March 9th, a later date

When do you both think an appropriate time to send a letter of interest/intent will be? I don’t want to send it too early, but I also interviewed March 9th, a later date
Didn’t they say at the interview we have 5 business days after the interview to upload updates/letters of interest because after that the reviewers won’t see the uploads? I could be getting this mixed up with another school as well

Last edited:
I am of the opinion you should send it as soon as possible after your interview before the committee has had a chance to review your full app as I highly doubt they will reconvene to reread your app/reassign you a score for a LOI later on

Didn’t they say at the interview we have 5 business days after the interview to upload updates/letters of interest because after that the reviewers won’t see the uploads? I could be getting this mixed up with another school as well
They said we had a week, but I didn’t think LOIs counted in that. I’m not sure but I’m also afraid to call

I am of the opinion you should send it as soon as possible after your interview before the committee has had a chance to review your full app as I highly doubt they will reconvene to reread your app/reassign you a score for a LOI later on
Probably a good idea. I just wasn’t sure since I thought those letters were sent usually later

I have too much hope and wishful thinking going on for Cincinnati simply bc I haven't received a pre-II R yet. Hoping this manifests into something, but it seems way too late in the cycle for anything to happen.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hello! Are there any current Cincinnati students that would be open to talking about their experience via PM? I'm trying to make a choice and I would love to have some insight.

Finished my letter of intent and submitted today!

Also what time does Cincinnati typically send out acceptances?

Commute usually isn't terrible because I don't end up traveling during rush hour - during rush hour it can be a little worse. Usually from Bellevue, my commute is 10 mins, at worse 20 coming back to NKY because there's now construction on 471 southbound (highway connecting Newport/Bellevue to Cincy). I will say there is way more traffic on the Covington side, so aim for Newport/Bellevue if you decide to go to the NKY route.

That said if I could do it again I would try to live near school! NKY is actually great and so is saving 30K, but the convenience of being near school is worth it.

There is A LOT of discussion surrounding this, our education committee started formal discussions earlier this month and is now eliciting comprehensive feedback from students and faculty before voting next month.

As far as other pros/cons, they are going to be highly specific to what you're looking for in a medical school. If you love primary care and service-learning, Cincy does it exceptionally well! Our Longitudinal Primary Care Clerkship (LPCC) (which M1s just started this month) is an amazing experience that allows you to start honing your clinical skills very early and our Physician and Society course involved creating a service-learning project with community partners, which has been another valuable and rewarding experience.

Research-wise we are not a T10 but we do very well in many areas; there won't be a single specialty without a few attendings conducting research that you can partake in. Within those specialties, the breadth of research is similar to other mid-tier schools. We really shine in some areas like pediatrics!

For any current Cinci students on here, how feasible is it to travel back home as an OOS on the west coast to see family? Does the curriculum schedule allow to travel back home for a weekend once a month?

Once a month might be tough given the length of that flight, but it's doable! A lot of it depends on your individual schedule. For example, we have clinical skills every week; some students have it on Thursday, others on Friday. If yours is on Thursday and there's good flight availability to where you're going, you could ostensibly fly out Thursday night, have three full days, and fly back Sunday night/Monday. Keep in mind we usually have our exams on Mondays.

Our blocks are 6 weeks long though, so most students wait until the end of the block to travel. That plus holidays usually allows a decent amount of travel. Once we switch to biweekly exams during our third block (MSK), that frees up some time as well.

Hello! Are there any current Cincinnati students that would be open to talking about their experience via PM? I'm trying to make a choice and I would love to have some insight.

Feel free to PM

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Commute usually isn't terrible because I don't end up traveling during rush hour - during rush hour it can be a little worse. Usually from Bellevue, my commute is 10 mins, at worse 20 coming back to NKY because there's now construction on 471 southbound (highway connecting Newport/Bellevue to Cincy). I will say there way more traffic on the Covington side, so aim for Newport/Bellevue if you decide to go to the NKY route.

That said if I could do it again I would try to live near school! NKY is actually great and so is saving 30K, but the convenience of being near school is worth it.
Thanks for the input! I was intending on doing NKY bc to me that 20-30K is A LOT of money. What about being close to school makes it worth it for you? Is it just being able to save time, stay at the library longer, etc? I guess living in Ohio would save you a few thousand on parking and NKY fees, so the difference maybe is a bit smaller?

Also, how do you like the school so far? There was a poster on here who was very negative on the school (internal rankings, competition, etc) but most others seem to really love the school (although that's judging from the school info sessions)

Thanks for the input! I was intending on doing NKY bc to me that 20-30K is A LOT of money. What about being close to school makes it worth it for you? Is it just being able to save time, stay at the library longer, etc? I guess living in Ohio would save you a few thousand on parking and NKY fees, so the difference maybe is a bit smaller?

Also, how do you like the school so far? There was a poster on here who was very negative on the school (internal rankings, competition, etc) but most others seem to really love the school (although that's judging from the school info sessions)

Sorry in advance for the long-winded answer. The non-resident surcharge is 300/semester and parking is about 300/semester, so you would save 1200/yr, not necessarily a few thousand. 30K is definitely a lot, but in the grand scheme of med school debt it ends up being something like 260K vs 290K when you graduate, taking into account loan interest? I did the exact calculations last year but lost my spreadsheet. If you are aggressive about paying off your loans when you complete residency then the difference in interest paid isn't large, but it can be if you take longer.

I don't think it's a huge time-saver, but it's more the convenience of not having to drive (I low-key hate driving, so this answer may be tinged with some personal bias). Once you start dissections in our third block (MSK), you will need to physically be at school at least twice a week, up from once a week for just clinical skills during the first two blocks. If you like to spend a lot of time in the anatomy lab, which is the best way to ace your anatomy practical exams, then you might be there even more often. I also initially thought that I would study at home and only go to school when absolutely necessary, but turns out I actually like studying at our school (outside of lab), so I'm there quite often! There's also a social factor, in that most people live near the school.

To be honest, I like the school a lot! I'm sure that having internal rankings is stressful but it's something that our current class has not had to deal with, and we don't expect to if true P/F is passed. So I haven't experienced any of the competition or obsession with grades that the other poster spoke about. The facilities are great, the professors have been great, our administration has been supportive when I've reached out to them about something, and there have been lots of opportunities for research. Do they rub my feet and whisper sweet things in my ear like at Harvard or Johnny Hopkins? Not really, but that's a given :)

I think the only other con the other poster identified was that we have 8 weeks for away electives in M4 (essentially two 4 week aways). This was the first time I'd actually heard of this as a pain point, so I did some more research. It looks like the average number of aways completed by most residency applicants is 1-2, but sometimes more for the most competitive ones. I'm not sure if this difference becomes significant when comparing those who matched versus not.

It was tough to find information about other schools, but the few I found said either 2-3 or no limit. If you are choosing between two schools, maybe you can look into it in more depth and find out if the other school limits the number of away rotations students can do, which might become important to you if you want to something like neurosurgery or ortho.

Last edited:
Anybody think tomorrow is the day? I Interviewed 2/26 and I can't stop thinking about when they are going to let us know. Hope the best for everybody!

Anybody think tomorrow is the day? I Interviewed 2/26 and I can't stop thinking about when they are going to let us know. Hope the best for everybody!

I think, looking at the pattern someone else posted, it is highly likely that today is indeed the day. Looks like they've usually started phone calls in mid-afternoon that can go into evening.

Fingers crossed, everyone!

Good luck everyone! When I got my phone call in December it was around 7pm. I think they've called some people even later. Also not everyone gets a phone call so check the online portal tomorrow. It should be updated if you received an A.

Does anyone think that those who had interviews on 3/9 will be hearing back today?

Pre-II R just now, good luck to everyone else!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I’m guessing I got a pre-II R? The email says to log in to view my admissions decision, but then to set a new password because my old one expired. Really making me jump through hoops to get rejected hahaha

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I’m guessing I got a pre-II R? The email says to log in to view my admissions decision, but then to set a new password because my old one expired. Really making me jump through hoops to get rejected hahaha
lmaooo this really just happened to me smh. pre II R just now and went through all the shenanigans to reset my PW.

• Care
  • Haha
Got that R too. I guess virtual shadowing and trying to get more volunteering it is. Harder said than done

• Care
Just got the pre-II R now. Ugh dang it.
Same. Pre-II R. IS, completed November.

I'd love to actually know what their holistic process is if they aren't offering consults/advice for those who get Rs. Obviously I'm gonna up the hours for volunteering/shadowing, and submit asap instead of waiting for straggling LORs and a rescheduled MCAT next time.

• Care
Pre-II R as well. Had to update password as well

• Care