2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Verified 6/29, LM 73, still waiting for a secondary... anyone else in the same boat?
Yep, verified around the same time in June and I've only gotten the "we received your primary application email." No secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, verified around the same time in June and I've only gotten the "we received your primary application email." No secondary.

Interesting. Does everyone get that email? Have yet to see it show up in my mailbox.

Interesting. Does everyone get that email? Have yet to see it show up in my mailbox.

Subject is "Medical School Application Receipt". I got that email 2 days after my primary was verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
@SupremeLeader Thanks! :)

@storquest @gribear
I went to the admissions office just now and the lady there told me to email them about this. I asked if I should withdraw but she told me not to. I just emailed them with my AMCAS ID and the screenshot of the status page.

For this question, "Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life:" can I talk about my research experience or is that considered academic?

For this question, "Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life:" can I talk about my research experience or is that considered academic?

That sounds pretty academic to me. I'd write about something else if I were you.

Come on UCLA! Start giving out some II! I'm dying over here.

I went to the admissions office just now and the lady there told me to email them about this. I asked if I should withdraw but she told me not to. I just emailed them with my AMCAS ID and the screenshot of the status page.

What would be the alternative if you don't want to fill it out, but you don't want to withdraw?

Last edited:
Anyone else get an error message when trying to submit?

Anyone else get an error message when trying to submit?
I believe all of my essays had to be 10-15 characters under the limit. I'd recommend pasting in your essays one at a time and saving them.

I believe all of my essays had to be 10-15 characters under the limit. I'd recommend pasting in your essays one at a time and saving them.
thank you thank you! that worked :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 6/30 and also still waiting on just ucla...
Verified June 14th, submitted UCLA on primary in early july....and still waiting. I received a secondary from UCSF late July. UCSD secondary almost right away, and II yesterday.

Seeing as how II haven't even come out yet, probably not.
I agree. I'm not even going to begin to try to figure out their process. I just am not counting on getting one, but I won't be surprised if they send them out later. I was looking on the UCSF thread for last year, and people kept getting secondaries until at least October. I didn't check out UCLA, but I assume they're a bit similar at least. Seems kind of weird to be screened out for 1/3 when their stats and mission are all pretty similar. Who knows?

I agree. I'm not even going to begin to try to figure out their process. I just am not counting on getting one, but I won't be surprised if they send them out later. I was looking on the UCSF thread for last year, and people kept getting secondaries until at least October. I didn't check out UCLA, but I assume they're a bit similar at least. Seems kind of weird to be screened out for 1/3 when their stats and mission are all pretty similar. Who knows?
A friend last year got a secondary in Jan. So there's lots of time left. No news isn't good news, but it sure ain't bad news either!

I take it you haven't done Duke's secondary, then? :D
That one really makes you think! I actually ended up liking it, even though it was very intimidating at first. I actually think Oregon's was more difficult, but I can't remember why...o_O

Duke's was difficult to write, for sure, but UCLA's is much harder to perfect. There's simply not enough space. I am convinced half of my essays for UCLA make no sense since I needed like 1-2 more sentences.

HAHA I know but like
ImageUploadedBySDN1470974768.356754.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Still waiting on one too. I'm pretty sure that they haven't reached the pile with apps that were verified later.
Has anyone recently received a secondary? If so, when were you verified?

I received a secondary semi-recently (8/2). I was verified on 7/26.

I received a secondary semi-recently (8/2). I was verified on 7/26.

I hope they don't review all of them in order...
Thought I had a really good shot at receiving a secondary :/

yo...i filled out that disadvantaged supplement on Friday but just now checked my status and it mysteriously disappeared... did this happen to any of y'all?

yo...i filled out that disadvantaged supplement on Friday but just now checked my status and it mysteriously disappeared... did this happen to any of y'all?

+1

What do you mean"disappeared"? Mine is still there marked received but I can't click it

when did you submit it?

for me it showed "received" and then yesterday it was gone; like the whole section is removed. only my secondary and letters show "received."

when did you submit it?

for me it showed "received" and then yesterday it was gone; like the whole section is removed. only my secondary and letters show "received."
I submitted about a month ago so I guess for some people it stays and others it disappears. Maybe you're on to something about their disadvantaged distinction

How's the primary screening this year? Worth to pre-write secondary?

How's the primary screening this year? Worth to pre-write secondary?
Submitted early July, no secondary. I think a lot of people are still waiting for one as well.

Submitted early July, no secondary. I think a lot of people are still waiting for one as well.

+1! I've been told that they don't always review apps in order of verification dates. C'mon UCLA, give us some love!!

For PRIME program applicants, how did you answer the latter part of this questions: "What are your greatest strengths and your greatest challenges as you approach medical school? (2000 max)"?
I was able to answer the "greatest strengths" part, but for the "greatest challenges" question, do you approach it as challenges that you have overcome in the past as you approach medical school or challenges that you see yourself facing once you're in medical school?

So I feel like I've tried everything but I when I try to write my responses to secondaries it still changes all of my "i"s to uppercase I's. Did anyone else have this problem? I pasted from notepad, word, and used internet explorer and chrome. I'm about to just submit with all uppercase I's but this is going to make my essays look silly.

Anyone verified in late June still waiting on secondary? LM ~80, IS, no foreseeable red flags, but feel like I've somehow gotten screened out. Got ucsf a couple weeks ago too

Anyone verified in late June still waiting on secondary? LM ~80, IS, no foreseeable red flags, but feel like I've somehow gotten screened out. Got ucsf a couple weeks ago too

I also have not received a secondary here and I was verified late June. I have received a few interviews and so I don't know if there are red flags in my application, but still nothing from UCLA or UCSF. I think I may have gotten screened out as well, but I have not lost hope yet.

I have 8 II and I still have yet to receive this secondary (I've already given up hope, tbh). You can't bank on individual schools. With a LizzyM of 80 you'll be totally fine.

I was verified mid June, LM ~74, also IS and have not received UCLA's secondary. I've received all other UC's to which I've applied. I'd like to think we haven't been screened out but that we'll just get the secondary later than expected for some reason or another. No idea though, the admissions process truly is a black box!

I also have not received a secondary here and I was verified late June. I have received a few interviews and so I don't know if there are red flags in my application, but still nothing from UCLA or UCSF. I think I may have gotten screened out as well, but I have not lost hope yet.

I have 8 II and I still have yet to receive this secondary (I've already given up hope, tbh). You can't bank on individual schools. With a LizzyM of 80 you'll be totally fine.

I guess we just gotta all sit tight...

So one of their requirement is one year english. I did two quarters and already graduated. What do i do? Are they flexible on this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For this question, "Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life:" can i talk about my experiences OUTSIDE of class for my study abroad trip? Also, would a job be considered "extracurricular"...since this question was listed under extracurricular activities and interests? Any input is appreciated :)