2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, so random and weird question. I'm filling out the secondary and all my lowercase i's are showing up as uppercase I's in the text boxes. Is anyone else having this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so random and weird question. I'm filling out the secondary and all my lowercase i's are showing up as uppercase I's in the text boxes. Is anyone else having this problem?

Oddly enough, the same thing happened to me, so I opened the secondary in Explorer instead and had no trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oddly enough, the same thing happened to me, so I opened the secondary in Explorer instead and had no trouble.

Huh. Well that's good to know, I'll submit it in Explorer then!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else unable to submit?? It keeps bringing me to an error page: "The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred."
This is super bumming me out because it won't save my answers once I leave either and I keep having to copy and paste them in again.

Is anyone else unable to submit?? It keeps bringing me to an error page: "The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred."
This is super bumming me out because it won't save my answers once I leave either and I keep having to copy and paste them in again.
Hey, this means that one of your text boxes is over the character limit. Keep trying ;)

My answers to the first three prompts (most important non-academic activity, most important leadership/entrepreneurial experience, and most important volunteer work) are all from the same activity... Anyone else having this issue? Advice on what I should do? Thanks in advance! :)

One more question... I just graduated in June 2016. I'm currently working part-time in one city, but planning to move to another city after this job ends in a few weeks. Therefore I haven't solidifed my plans yet for what exactly I'll be doing for the rest of the year other than continuing to work at the same company part-time -- I've applied to a few different programs to volunteer abroad and identified a few places I'd like to volunteer at in the area, but nothing is solidified yet. Should I include the tentative future information when it asks me about my gap year, or just what I know for sure, which is that I'll be working part-time?

My answers to the first three prompts (most important non-academic activity, most important leadership/entrepreneurial experience, and most important volunteer work) are all from the same activity... Anyone else having this issue? Advice on what I should do? Thanks in advance! :)

Just my two cents, but I would use these questions to highlight 3 different activities (if you are able to). However, if this isn't possible, I would try to address very different facets of this one activity.

One more question... I just graduated in June 2016. I'm currently working part-time in one city, but planning to move to another city after this job ends in a few weeks. Therefore I haven't solidifed my plans yet for what exactly I'll be doing for the rest of the year other than continuing to work at the same company part-time -- I've applied to a few different programs to volunteer abroad and identified a few places I'd like to volunteer at in the area, but nothing is solidified yet. Should I include the tentative future information when it asks me about my gap year, or just what I know for sure, which is that I'll be working part-time?

I included tentative info for a job that I am in the process of applying for. Just make sure that something you're writing about is definite.

Apologies for the spam... attempting to delete a post but don't know how :(

Last edited:
Ugh yeah I figured it out. All of them were under 800 when I checked so I don't know what was happening. Super frustrating though.

Was it because you were over the 800 limit? I am getting the same error message (so frustrating) but mine are also all under 800 char in MS Word..

Members don't see this ad :)
Was it because you were over the 800 limit? I am getting the same error message (so frustrating) but mine are also all under 800 char in MS Word..

You gotta paste it into Notepad or something similar first. It's weird but it works! Good luck :)

Have any IS applicants received UCLA's secondary? Not sure if I should start worrying, I've received secondaries for all the other UCs I applied to but not UCLA yet.
Yeah i did. I didn't get Davis at all so you're not alone on the not getting 1 UC lol

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah i did. I didn't get Davis at all so you're not alone on the not getting 1 UC lol

Ditto on IS+ no word for UCDavis or UCLA :) won't stress about it until early next week.....then I'll start to get a bit worried, can't lie.

Reactions: 1 users
What's with UCLA not taking AP credit? A little frustrating.... I've taken two semesters of writing intensive coursework but only one was in English department. I have AP English credit but now, if I want to attend UCLA, I'm gonna have to squeeze in an English class somewhere... I'm already a double major :(

What's with UCLA not taking AP credit? A little frustrating.... I've taken two semesters of writing intensive coursework but only one was in English department. I have AP English credit but now, if I want to attend UCLA, I'm gonna have to squeeze in an English class somewhere... I'm already a double major :(
maybe worry about it if you get in/an interview? i'm sure they'd work with you at that point. you don't have to have your prereqs done prior to an interview invite

maybe worry about it if you get in/an interview? i'm sure they'd work with you at that point. you don't have to have your prereqs done prior to an interview invite

True, I suppose I could worry about it later ;)

Have any IS applicants received UCLA's secondary? Not sure if I should start worrying, I've received secondaries for all the other UCs I applied to but not UCLA yet.

I also have received secondaries at all the UCs except UCLA... seems odd to pass all screens except for one. Keeping my hopes up!

Anyone else have to fill out the disadvantaged applicants form? It's taken more time than everything else combined.. I'm over here going through my parents tax returns from the 90s...

same boat! I have no idea what's taking them so long because i got that "primary received" email weeks ago. I guess it'll give me more time to work on other secondaries though.. also i've been obsessively binge watching girls as of last week and i'm already midway through season 3 :whistle:

Last year there were multiple SDN users that received secondaries from all UCs and interviews/acceptances (including myself), but were rejected pre-secondary from UCLA. I have no idea what their screen is.

Maybe they screen for community service and/or give consideration to disadvantaged applicants? That's the only thing I can think of other that stats. I feel like that would take forever though..

same boat! I have no idea what's taking them so long because i got that "primary received" email weeks ago. I guess it'll give me more time to work on other secondaries though.. also i've been obsessively binge watching girls as of last week and i'm already midway through season 3 :whistle:
Yay for binge-watching television! I just caught up (finally) to SSN 6 GoT. Alternatively I can go outside but naaaaah. :bag:

I'm OOS and have not received a secondary either.

I'm OOS too and haven't received the email that they received my primary. I was verified super early and have secondaries from all of the other UCs I applied to. Did you guys receive confirmation that they received your primary apps?

I'm OOS too and haven't received the email that they received my primary. I was verified super early and have secondaries from all of the other UCs I applied to. Did you guys receive confirmation that they received your primary apps?

So IDK what's going on with you guys. I got UCLA 2ary on 7/1 after a 6/17 AMCAS transmission. My first notice from them was a secondary (no confirmation of AMCAS receipt).

I have LizzyM 77, OOS, a lot of research, and a lot of volunteering. No under-represented status, no exceptional circumstances in my education. Hopefully y'all get a secondary soon and this is just an unusual delay.

From last year's thread, people who had verified primary's in June were still getting secondaries well into August. All different kinds of LizzyM/ECs/community service/etc. It doesn't appear that there is any sort of linear screen, so I wouldn't stress yet. (My paranoia is also telling me to freak out, because this is my top choice, but I'm trying to be rational about it....)

I might ask about the primary app confirmation though, because I did receive that early this month. But that's just my two cents!

Got secondary in! Now to wait for my committee letter to make it in at the end of the summer :sleep:
I'm so curious about their screen now..it must just be completely non-linear.

Got secondary in! Now to wait for my committee letter to make it in at the end of the summer :sleep:
I'm so curious about their screen now..it must just be completely non-linear.
I am SOOOO happy my school doesn't do a committee letter. It seems like it only hurts your chances.

I am SOOOO happy my school doesn't do a committee letter. It seems like it only hurts your chances.
Yea, it's really just a pain. I've heard of people from other schools getting theirs in like October o_O
At least at my school we get to pick who we want to contribute to the letter, so that's kind of nice.

My personal favorite theory (based on 100% hearsay) is that each reviewer gets a big batch at once, say 200 apps.

So what happens is app 1 and app 201 and app 401 all get reviewed "first" and app 200, app 400, etc get reviewed "last"

100% total speculation but I like it bc it's comforting to think that I'm just at the back of someone's pile.....ignorance is bliss baby.

anyone else receive a confirmation but no secondary yet?

Reactions: 1 users
anyone else receive a confirmation but no secondary yet?
+4, OOS, not super great stats but tons of experience/research/paper/etc.. really hoping they are just carefully and holistically reviewing our apps and that's why it's taking so long

Reactions: 2 users
+4, OOS, not super great stats but tons of experience/research/paper/etc.. really hoping they are just carefully and holistically reviewing our apps and that's why it's taking so long

+5! I don't want to pre-write these questions either in case I don't receive a secondary... They look time-consuming

I'm going to be adding this school to my AMCAS in the next few days. I was verified early June and adding more schools now. Is this considered late?

Did all of you received a secondary receive a confirmation email first?

Ah ok, I guess I just need to give it some time. I have not received the confirmation email yet.
I was verified 7/1 if that helps. It's still quite early, they might just be doing people in batches. My name is also at the beginning of the alphabet if that makes any difference:laugh: