2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you aren't disadvantaged and don't think you are why did you apply disadvantaged in the first place? I'm confused. Amcas asks for everything up to age 18. I'm guessing you turned 18 after 2010? Maybe not.

But this could have been detailed in your AMCAS to avoid the discrepancy. But I think the secondary asks about the recent years on purpose, to gauge what happened who knows how many years ago, to your situation now. So just put the truth and they will use it as they see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
If you aren't disadvantaged and don't think you are why did you apply disadvantaged in the first place? I'm confused. Amcas asks for everything up to age 18. I'm guessing you turned 18 after 2010? Maybe not.

But this could have been detailed in your AMCAS to avoid the discrepancy. But I think the secondary asks about the recent years on purpose, to gauge what happened who knows how many years ago, to your situation now. So just put the truth and they will use it as they see fit.

Ok thanks. Can you edit and not quote please?

Members don't see this ad :)
I grew up below the poverty line in the 3rd world and could not afford more than 2 meals a day but I was able to end up going to a top 30 US college and my parents are now well off, so I did not put disadvantaged. I don't think you should have put it.

Well I messaged a few adcoms on here and they said I should put it. Idk it's too late now :( Good for you though!!

Well I messaged a few adcoms on here and they said I should put it. Idk it's too late now :( Good for you though!!
To be honest I doubt it will matter too much, I was just nervous about falling into some miscommunication as well, that's why I didn't put it. You'll be fine!

In response to the math requirement issues, since I skipped college calc because of AP's, but would take Calculus at my local college if accepted how should I answer the y/n question: In college have you completed or will be completing one or more years of the following: Mathematics__?

In response to the math requirement issues, since I skipped college calc because of AP's, but would take Calculus at my local college if accepted how should I answer the y/n question: In college have you completed or will be completing one or more years of the following: Mathematics__?

We're in the exact same boat! Replying so I can see how people answer this.....

I'm not sure if anyone in this thread also applied to the PRIME program, but just in case anyone happened to do so, I had a quick question: If we checked off "Combined Medical Degree/Graduate" along with "MPH" on our AMCAS page for UCLA, then will the secondary application we received today (in the email titled "UCLA PRIME Application Receipt") count for both the PRIME and Regular MD programs? I wanted to make sure I had checked off the right boxes on my primary AMCAS app so that I would also be considered for the regular MD program (that was giving me a bit of anxiety this morning!). Thanks!

Yes. Check the boxes at the top of the PRIME secondary saying you'd like to be considered for DGSOM if not admitted to PRIME.

We're in the exact same boat! Replying so I can see how people answer this.....

I said no - I haven't taken the full year of math (just stats, calc sucks). I hope they still interview/accept me because at that point I could bring up the calc issue.. I know most schools don't interview based on whether you've already taken all the classes but the fact that it's in this secondary makes me wonder if there's some screen there for interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright guys, dilemma. I just finished all the essays up, and read through them. I just realized that, barring the one about where you see yourself in 10 years, NONE of my essays directly touch on medicine. They kind of indirectly do, through teaching, research, etc. Is this a problem? This is one of my top choices and want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot.

Probably don't need to ALL go back to medicine directly, but make sure you emphasize how each important thing they ask you about highlights an important character trait for physicians. Like for my non-academic thing I emphasized how it changed how I think and gave me exposure to other cultures. For leadership I talked about creativity, interpersonal skills, etc. Only 2 of my essays directly addressed medicine (excluding the PRIME prompts).

my "check my status" link isn't working - do you get a second email from UCLA with a link to the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Re secondary prompts, a lot of the questions were already covered in my primary application. Should I repeat? I don't want to seem lazy by not answering, but at the same time, I know the advice out there is not to repeat yourself on the application. Thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Re secondary prompts, a lot of the questions were already covered in my primary application. Should I repeat? I don't want to seem lazy by not answering, but at the same time, I know the advice out there is not to repeat yourself on the application. Thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

For these I repeated the experience but wrote a custom essay for each activity

Does the volunteer essay look for one particular experience in general or your views about volunteering for one organization as a whole?

Has anyone else not received the secondary yet? I'm OOS so I am wondering if that is why because I do not believe I would have been screened out by stats alone. 510 MCAT and 3.8-3.9 GPA

Has anyone else not received the secondary yet? I'm OOS so I am wondering if that is why because I do not believe I would have been screened out by stats alone. 510 MCAT and 3.8-3.9 GPA

I'm OOS and have not received a secondary either.

I'm OOS and have not received a secondary either.

I'm OOS and got it.. but I applied PRIME. Did either of you apply to the PRIME program? Maybe it's possible they're sending those out before the regular MD ones?

I'm OOS and got it.. but I applied PRIME. Did either of you apply to the PRIME program? Maybe it's possible they're sending those out before the regular MD ones?

Maybe. I applied regular because I already have a graduate degree.

Does anyone know the email to their admissions office if we have questions? I can't seem to find it on their website.

Has everyone who received a secondary applied to the PRIME program as well?

Interesting. I read the prime and regular application are being considered subsequently. Means, we're set back a bit if we applied Prime, huh?

Anyone who applied prime NOT get a secondary?

Does anybody have any knowledge on how it looks to leave one or two of them blank? Ie, I have a small amount of research but there's not really much I can say on it that wasn't mentioned in my primary.

Does anybody have any knowledge on how it looks to leave one or two of them blank? Ie, I have a small amount of research but there's not really much I can say on it that wasn't mentioned in my primary.
think of it this way: most people will have filled them all out. the alternate thought though, is if you don't have anything significant to say, don't bother.

Does being in a 2 year master's program count as a gap?

Hm i got the "AMCAS app received" email last Friday, but still no secondary. Anyone else on the same boat ? :wideyed:

Hm i got the "AMCAS app received" email last Friday, but still no secondary. Anyone else on the same boat ? :wideyed:
Me - apparently they have to invite you to fill out a secondary, and I haven't gotten that yet

Anyone know the email to the admissions office? I tried searching for it and couldn't find it...gunna ask about whether a 2 years masters program count as a 'gap'.

Yep! And I'm also in-state. I'm not too freaked out about it yet though. I'll UCLA a couple more weeks before I consider inquiring about it personally.

Reactions: 2 users
I have not received an email saying that they received my primary yet. Anyone else? Should I be concerned? I was verified on 6/9.

Secondary received 07/01 !

Secondary submitted 07/05 !

Good luck guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
Finally finished my secondary. I had previously thought "no sweat!" due to the 800-character max for each box. Turns out this was the most time-consuming one yet.

Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (yes or no). If yes, please explain.

Regarding this question, I am a non-trad who went back to do my post-bacc after working for a few years. By "gap" do they mean gap between my BFA and applying to medical school, or gap between Post-Bacc and medical school? Because I completed my post-bacc, then started studying for MCAT, and am now applying to medical school.

I am applying through PRIME and it has all the above listed prompts as "optional." Does it say the same on the Geffen supplementary application? I just want to make sure I fill everything out if it is required by Geffen. Thank you!

Edit: Nevermind, I saw this answered in another post!

Last edited:
How much do you guys think it will hurt my chances if I submit my secondary 16 days after receiving the invitation? I know 2 weeks is suggested, but I think I need a little more time to perfect it.

You will receive an email invitation for the secondary. It was funny, I got an email saying that between now and January, my initial review will take place. Then later in the day I got the secondary invite. That was quick!!

Also, I left out a question incidentally. The secondary also asks:

Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the
expected time of medical school matriculation? (yes or no). If yes, please explain. (800 max)

@WedgeDawg @Ismet
What exactly do they mean by gap? I am a non-trad who worked for a few years and then did my post-bacc and went straight into applying to medical school. Do I need to explain the gap between my BFA and post-bacc? Or do they mean if you completed your pre-med prereqs, took a gap, and then now are applying?

Does anyone know if UCLA is receptive to pre secondary updates

Does UCLA accept updates after the secondary is submitted but before interviews begin?

I don't know where you would send these updates. I couldn't find an email for their admissions office. Would you be mailing them?

I just called. Apparently after you submit your secondary, it may take up to 4 week to process and then send a confirmation email. The receptionist said in that email there should be a form that allows for updates.

I received an initial e-mail, but still no secondary:(

Also, does anyone know if I have to receive a Geffen secondary in order to receive a Charles Drew secondary?