2016-2017 SUNY - Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At my interview they said it's ok to not send thank yous, since it's MMI there are too many separate people to thank. They encouraged for you to put an update letter in the portal, on the interview page.

What do you mean by the committee meets in January? So after they give out decisions for the portals that have cleared, they are not giving out any more decisions until January?
All I know is, if I recall correctly, they have an upcoming committee meeting in early January that should include my interview day

Members don't see this ad.

At my interview they said it's ok to not send thank yous, since it's MMI there are too many separate people to thank. They encouraged for you to put an update letter in the portal, on the interview page.

What do you mean by the committee meets in January? So after they give out decisions for the portals that have cleared, they are not giving out any more decisions until January?
YayPudding interviewed this week, not November. His/her portal won't clear for a bit. Those of us who interviewed awhile ago and had our portal clear this week, should still get to hear something soon (I expect).

Reactions: 2 users
My portal cleared this morning! Interviewed 10/26. So excited!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My portal cleared today!! interviewed 11/14.... this could be the one. Let's go Upstate! Hoping we all hear back excellent news shortly! Good luck everyone

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

wow that was fast! Hope they keep up the pace, interviewed late Nov and can't bear the wait!

I'm not that surprised based on what they told us at the interview "you should go to the committee for review in the next week or two, possibly after thanksgiving" however very surprised based on what's being reported here on SDN. I figured I would be in review during January at this point.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting that we have another round of portal clears this week. I wonder what that means for when we will actually get our result? Good luck everyone!

wow that was fast! Hope they keep up the pace, interviewed late Nov and can't bear the wait!

I know!!! They are moving right along!!! Our portals will clear soon then. I was scared for a minute lol. Good luck everyone!!! We are almost there :)

Good luck to the applicants that had their portal cleared!

fingers crossed to hear some good news before the weekend ! good luck to everyone else :)

fingers crossed to hear some good news before the weekend ! good luck to everyone else :)
Yeah seriously, I figured we would hear back today but now who knows?! Hopefully we get some news tomorrow, Upstate has been such a tease!:whistle:

I'm not that surprised based on what they told us at the interview "you should go to the committee for review in the next week or two, possibly after thanksgiving" however very surprised based on what's being reported here on SDN. I figured I would be in review during January at this point.

I was surprised based on the timeline they gave us during the interview as well. Good luck everyone, this is such a anxiety inducing process I cannot wait for some good news!

I'm only one day out and am ready for the disappearing portal!

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED! This gives me hope that I'll get off UB's waitlist eventually.

Reactions: 5 users
so ummm since people had their portal clear today and already get an acceptance I'm assuming I'm screwed correct? has this happened before? I thought someone said they gave out rejections first but this looks like it's acceptances first.

so ummm since people had their portal clear today and already get an acceptance I'm assuming I'm screwed correct? has this happened before? I thought someone said they gave out rejections first but this looks like it's acceptances first.
Mine cleared yesterday and was accepted today. It seems to take a few days.

I'm now concerned too..... do they send out all the acceptances (for people cleared around the same time) at once? Or is it a slower, as they review a few, they send a few, etc process... anyone have any insight on this ?

I'm now concerned too..... do they send out all the acceptances (for people cleared around the same time) at once? Or is it a slower, as they review a few, they send a few, etc process... anyone have any insight on this ?

Looking through the thread it seems to me like the acceptances and rejections previously went out simultaneously so the fact that we've gotten neither I think is unique.. As in, I have no clue what's going on haha But if I had to bet, I don't think it's good for us:(

EDIT: I think I might try calling tomorrow since I am now wayyyyyy beyond 4 weeks post interview and this just seems off to me!

Reactions: 1 user
My portal cleared on Tuesday and I just heard back today, email came in around 8 but it was addressed for 3pm

Looking through the thread it seems to me like the acceptances and rejections previously went out simultaneously so the fact that we've gotten neither I think is unique.. As in, I have no clue what's going on haha But if I had to bet, I don't think it's good for us:(

EDIT: I think I might try calling tomorrow since I am now wayyyyyy beyond 4 weeks post interview and this just seems off to me!

I think that would be just fine. They encouraged us to call if we had yet to hear a decision post 4 weeks or so.

just got a rejection email, came at 9:00 P.M. on the dot. second (and last) II. second rejection. and I thought both interviews went great too.... This has been a bad month for me

Edit: not even waitlisted at either school..... they must really hate me

Same, Just got the rejection email interviewed 10/17 portal cleared Tuesday. I'm honestly shocked, I thought this interview went very well. Congrats to you guys.

Stats are mostly irrelevant post interview though I imagine. I think they just get you in the door but it's the EC's and interview itself that get you in.
If you don't mind my asking, what are your stats?

just got a rejection email, came at 9:00 P.M. on the dot. second (and last) II. second rejection. and I thought both interviews went great too.... This has been a bad month for me

Same, Just got the rejection email interviewed 10/17 portal cleared Tuesday. I'm honestly shocked, I thought this interview went very well. Congrats to you guys.

I'm sorry guys. The cycle isn't over yet. Be strong. I wish you both the best of luck.

It's a Christmas miracle!!! I'm doing my happy dance :)
unnamed.gif

Portal cleared Tuesday at 11, acceptance arrived today at 8 pm
Edit: Don't anybody lose faith... I'm a reapplicant, and didn't even get any interviews last year. All sorts of crazy, unpredictable things happen in this life...

Reactions: 10 users
View attachment 211757
Edit: Don't anybody lose faith... I'm a reapplicant, and didn't even get any interviews last year. All sorts of crazy, unpredictable things happen in this life...
Congrats!

To everyone who has received a rejection -- the admissions office here is serious when they say they'll help you revise your application if you do not receive acceptance this cycle. I don't know of many schools that do this, so I would certainly take advantage.

But fear not! There is still plenty of time for interviews / acceptances at other schools. The cycle isn't over until it's over guys!

Accepted at 8pm today! My portal has just cleared this morning. Such relief

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats!

To everyone who has received a rejection -- the admissions office here is serious when they say they'll help you revise your application if you do not receive acceptance this cycle. I don't know of many schools that do this, so I would certainly take advantage.

But fear not! There is still plenty of time for interviews / acceptances at other schools. The cycle isn't over until it's over guys!

I keep hearing everyone say "plenty of time, not over until its over, etc" When you think about it though, we're in December and people currently getting II's at all these various schools are having earliest dates out until February..... And schools only interview until march... so what, we have like 5-10% of interview slots left available.... ?

I keep hearing everyone say "plenty of time, not over until its over, etc" When you think about it though, we're in December and people currently getting II's at all these various schools are having earliest dates out until February..... And schools only interview until march... so what, we have like 5-10% of interview slots left available.... ?
Last year I received interviews for March and April after no interviews all season. It's not over until all schools have finished interviewing.

Unfortunately I did not interview well enough to earn a spot last cycle, but certainly other people did. You may find yourself interviewing in April and receiving an acceptance a few weeks later or mid-summer. I hope you receive one earlier

Last year I received interviews for March and April after no interviews all season. It's not over until all schools have finished interviewing.

Unfortunately I did not interview well enough to earn a spot last cycle, but certainly other people did. You may find yourself interviewing in April and receiving an acceptance a few weeks later or mid-summer. I hope you receive one earlier

thats good to hear at least, i wish you best of luck this time around and hope you receive an acceptance

Accepted via email today!! Congrats to everyone else who was accepted!

Reactions: 6 users
High fives all around to those accepted! Go on a well deserved vacation.

To those still waiting--I promise your day will come. Our class is filled with people who've had meandering pathways toward medicine (myself included). One way or another you'll make it too.

Always happy to answer questions.

Reactions: 3 users

I'm really sorry to hear about the result.

I hope you both find success later on in the cycle.

Hang in there, guys. There's still a lot of time left and the fact you already had an interview means there are no red flags, etc.

Accepted via email today!! Congrats to everyone else who was accepted!

Accepted at 8pm today! My portal has just cleared this morning. Such relief

View attachment 211757

ACCEPTED!
ACCEPTED! This gives me hope that I'll get off UB's waitlist eventually.

Mine cleared yesterday and was accepted today. It seems to take a few days.

Congratulations!!! If you feel you will matriculate into Upstate, please check out the Upstate Fb page.

Hey I guys I will be flying in to Syracuse this weekend. For the people who are local, how bad is the weather? Would you say there's risk of flight cancellations?
I mean it's snowing right now but nothing that would cancel flights. If your flight happens to coincide with a large storm then it might be delayed, but tbh I've been on flights where we land in a complete white-out, coming in sideways just before touching down, lol.

hello everyone!

maybe one of you can help me determine whether to designate syracuse or binghamton as my campus of choice. the question i have is about student research. i know that to be competitive for many residency programs it is important to have at least several publications. i was wondering whether those upstate students do research during their third year, and if so, does the campus significantly impact research opportunities? thanks a bunch in advance, and best of luck to everybody!

hello everyone!

maybe one of you can help me determine whether to designate syracuse or binghamton as my campus of choice. the question i have is about student research. i know that to be competitive for many residency programs it is important to have at least several publications. i was wondering whether those upstate students do research during their third year, and if so, does the campus significantly impact research opportunities? thanks a bunch in advance, and best of luck to everybody!
I wouldn't be concerned about that as they have reported that the match is equivalent between campuses. If it is true that you will lack slightly in research it will be made up for by a more personal letter of rec.

As the med students and admit officers have stated, choose the campus based on the environment you want as to have your personal best fit

hello everyone!

On my interview day, students mentioned that the Binghamton campus didn't get in the way of research because:
1) You have the summer between MS1 and MS2
2) Binghamton still has opportunities for clinical research (at a minimum)
3) Many students return to Syracuse for 4th year

Personally, I wouldn't turn down the Binghamton campus because of research if you have interests in it otherwise.