2016-2017 SUNY - Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You think so? Thats odd. Dont they already have our transcript?

Yea all schools require it for some reason. You have to resend all transcripts to them directly for verification. I think it's because AMCAS doesn't give them the actual transcript, just their own grade report.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea all schools require it for some reason. You have to resend all transcripts to them directly for verification. I think it's because AMCAS doesn't give them the actual transcript, just their own grade report.
I assume electronic transcript is fine?

I assume electronic transcript is fine?

If your undergrad institution supports etranscripts it should be fine. I'm only sending one transcript by snail mail because the school doesn't have electronic option

Reactions: 1 user
On the information page it says this:

"This form should be submitted directly to the Office of Student Admissions"
"The Office of Student admissions may be reached via email: [email protected]"

So I'm assuming it applies to other forms as well. I asked about the transcript thing in the email.

Last year I scanned and e-mailed my forms to the admissions e-mail address and had no problem.
Same thing with the student health forms but to the student health e-mail address (scanned and included everything in one PDF file).

Did anyone else get called about submitting health forms?

Are all you guys cpr certified?? Lol

Any recommended resources to pick up for Block 1? Or study tips. I know some people ditch the lectures and use other resources for exams etc. Just wanted a general idea of where to start!

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing due to waitlist movement elsewhere. I was completely set on Downstate until last night.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist - this is a fantastic and underrated school in my eyes

Reactions: 1 users
Any recommended resources to pick up for Block 1? Or study tips. I know some people ditch the lectures and use other resources for exams etc. Just wanted a general idea of where to start!
Your pbl group will be set up with 2 mentors who will offer you advice.

Unit 1 is different than the other units to ease you into school. Many people go to unit 1 lecture (this unit is not stuff you can really learn from Step review materials). You can use Costanzo for physiology and then use BRS and Gray's Anatomy for practice anatomy questions.

Everything you do unit 1 will be relearned in other units when you have a better understanding (this is a good thing). Like right now, I'm reviewing bone remodeling because we did parathyroids this week and I understand it so much better than I did unit 1.

The only advice that I wish I got is to read the MSK section of first aid and learn your histo. The NBME exam will draw from stuff mostly in first aid. The anatomy questions on the NBME were all supraspinatus and winged scapula while Gray's and BRS cover a ton of stuff. It is easy to push histo aside and still do well enough to pass the first 3 units, but now a lot of pathology involves looking at slides. I regret not giving myself a stronger foundation when there was more time, and the people who know their histo are very good in histopath this unit.

Enjoy your summer!

Maybe some post traffic day movement today?

Your pbl group will be set up with 2 mentors who will offer you advice.

Unit 1 is different than the other units to ease you into school. Many people go to unit 1 lecture (this unit is not stuff you can really learn from Step review materials). You can use Costanzo for physiology and then use BRS and Gray's Anatomy for practice anatomy questions.

Everything you do unit 1 will be relearned in other units when you have a better understanding (this is a good thing). Like right now, I'm reviewing bone remodeling because we did parathyroids this week and I understand it so much better than I did unit 1.

The only advice that I wish I got is to read the MSK section of first aid and learn your histo. The NBME exam will draw from stuff mostly in first aid. The anatomy questions on the NBME were all supraspinatus and winged scapula while Gray's and BRS cover a ton of stuff. It is easy to push histo aside and still do well enough to pass the first 3 units, but now a lot of pathology involves looking at slides. I regret not giving myself a stronger foundation when there was more time, and the people who know their histo are very good in histopath this unit.

Enjoy your summer!

This was awesome! Thank you.

Anyone who interviewed in April hear back?

Just got off the alternate list as well! I have to respond in a week but Does anyone know if that means I need to drop my other acceptance as well because it's post April 30?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congratulations to all who were accepted today! Did any of you send updates letters or LOI after being placed on the alternate list? Hoping for more movement!!

Just got off the alternate list as well! I have to respond in a week but Does anyone know if that means I need to drop my other acceptance as well because it's post April 30?

Yes I believe so

From AAMC:

If you receive an offer of acceptance from more than one school or program, choose the school at which you will enroll by April 30. Then, promptly withdraw your application, by written correspondence, from all other schools or programs that have offered you an acceptance.

The AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants

Congratulations to all who were accepted today! Did any of you send updates letters or LOI after being placed on the alternate list? Hoping for more movement!!

I sent and LOI prior to being switched to the alternate list in early March. Can't hurt to do it

Question: this is my first acceptance and I am just so thrilled but I sent an LOI to another school before I interviewed at SUNY and fell in love with it :/ I'm WL at the other school and I'm not sure if I get in but if i do and decide on SUNY...what happens?

Just accepted after interviewing in October and being waitlisted. Have a big decision to make now.

Reactions: 2 users
Did all of you who heard back today get an email?

I got accepted today!!!!! Interviewed March 13 and placed on alternative list on April 24!

I think I just got accepted off the alternate list but I'm not sure--- did everyone else's letter look like this?

"SUNY Downstate- College of Medicine Prelimiary Notification"

This is a preliminary notification that the college of medicine admissions committee has reviewed your application favorable for an acceptance. An official acceptance letter will be mailed to your preferred mailing address.

I think I just got accepted off the alternate list but I'm not sure--- did everyone else's letter look like this?

"SUNY Downstate- College of Medicine Prelimiary Notification"

This is a preliminary notification that the college of medicine admissions committee has reviewed your application favorable for an acceptance. An official acceptance letter will be mailed to your preferred mailing address.
Yep. Congrats!

Accepted today as well! Interviewed late Jan, alt list mid April!

Question: this is my first acceptance and I am just so thrilled but I sent an LOI to another school before I interviewed at SUNY and fell in love with it :/ I'm WL at the other school and I'm not sure if I get in but if i do and decide on SUNY...what happens?

If this is your first acceptance definitely accept their offer because you are absolutely still allowed to be on the waitlist at this other school that you would prefer and if you do get off the waitlist you would just then turn down SUNY. After 4/30 or 5/1 whichever it is you can be on as many waitlists as you want, you can just only hold one acceptance at a time.

I'm most probably going to downstate. Sending in my deposit now. If my two options were Downstate or NYMC which schools would you guys choose and why? Thanks, just thinking about some stuff.

Did the people that got off the alternate list complete the clearance checklist they emailed?

I'm most probably going to downstate. Sending in my deposit now. If my two options were Downstate or NYMC which schools would you guys choose and why? Thanks, just thinking about some stuff.

Definitely NYMC. Hands down.

Big heartfelt congrats to everyone who got off the alternate list today... but it also looks like I'm headed for a second cycle and this is definently the worst feeling I've had sigh

Big heartfelt congrats to everyone who got off the alternate list today... but it also looks like I'm headed for a second cycle and this is definently the worst feeling I've had sigh

First off, there's still time. There was plenty of movement last year in the second week after traffic day. Second, even if you don't get in, this shouldn't be the worst feeling ever. You'll get in next year. Just do something productive and enjoy yourself for a year it's ok. Go experience more life

Did people who got accepted off the alt list submit everything on the checklist?

I got off the alternate list this morning and had barely completed any of it. I filled out their "study habits survey" and that was about it I think. I'm in a hostel in Peru so I wasn't about to do anything that required me to print and scan/fax haha.

Did the people that got off the alternate list complete the clearance checklist they emailed?
No I didn't.

Question: I'm trying to go through it now....where are these forms they're mentioning? I see a list but no document. (probably a dumb question)

Yesterday and the weeks before I was feeling the same way. I know it's annoying to hear it but don't lose hope. I was shocked today and I can name ALL of the mistakes in my app and reasons I wasn't the perfect candidate but good news does come. "assume the worst, hope for the best". I know it is a terrible feeling because I was already preparing my second cycle materials. This process can be so random and I'm sure you're a wonderful candidate and will be a wonderful doctor.

Reactions: 3 users
Downstate for sure. If you're in state you'll have better tuition. Plus the clinical exposure you'll get in Brooklyn is incredible. Ofc I'm biased towards Downstate as it is my top choice so take my opinion as you wish. :)