2016-2017 SUNY - Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May comes around and Downstate turns into a spambot
Totally, not sure what to make of it. Wondering if anyone else completed all these requirements in previous years without getting an acceptance at the end.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What a tease. Received 9 e-mails (not including back-and-forth correspondences) from Admissions since getting alt listed late March.

Totally, not sure what to make of it. Wondering if anyone else completed all these requirements in previous years without getting an acceptance at the end.
If I understood correctly, you'd have to get accepted before gaining access to the remaining 4 pending documents on the PDF checklist.

Reactions: 1 user

I would definitely think so. I think the clearance variable only comes into play close to and after the deadline to submit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess study styles is part of the admitted checklist. And the email mentions the criminal background check, but I don't see that as part of the portal.

I guess study styles is part of the admitted checklist. And the email mentions the criminal background check, but I don't see that as part of the portal.
Were you able to access the study styles? Were you accepted or alt listed?

I completed study styles, alt listed, but it doesn't show as a completed check mark

Can any participants in this year's admissions cycle speak to how much of an in-state bias Downstate has? IS premed here really considering this school!

Can any participants in this year's admissions cycle speak to how much of an in-state bias Downstate has? IS premed here really considering this school!
According to MSAR, there are roughly 3.5-4x more IS matriculants than OOS matriculants. So, decently biased towards IS students.

For accepted students, when did you hear about financial aid? I believe I submitted my FAFSA back in February but never heard anything about them receiving it. Is the financial aid packet included with the official snail mail letter (also how long does that take to arrive after acceptance)?

Is anyone here doing the MD/MPH program? If so do you know when orientation is? They never said when it starts.

Thanks!

FYI accepted off alt list last Monday without doing any of the supplemental documents and withdrew the acceptance yesterday. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI accepted off alt list last Monday without doing any of the supplemental documents and withdrew the acceptance yesterday. Good luck to everyone waiting!
Where will you be going to med school? Thanks and good luck wherever that is!

i have an acceptance here but got off upstate's HPA. i'm really torn because i'd love to be in brooklyn, yet it would be a lot less money to go to upstate because of the cost of living--any insights?

i have an acceptance here but got off upstate's HPA. i'm really torn because i'd love to be in brooklyn, yet it would be a lot less money to go to upstate because of the cost of living--any insights?
Go where you will feel happiest and will satisfy your goals as a physician!

Never choose a school based solely on price. This is an investment. Take the time to decide where you will be happiest, and where you will get the best training.

One check list says it's CPR certified and another says BLS certified...anyone know what's up?

Has anyone submitted health forms and actually got them checked off on the checklist?

Has anyone submitted health forms and actually got them checked off on the checklist?
I haven't submitted them but they did say to give them 6-8 weeks to verify and update the portal.

I haven't submitted them but they did say to give them 6-8 weeks to verify and update the portal.

That's what I thought and I was patiently waiting, but I ended up calling Student Health to ask if they had received my health forms from the doctor's office (supposedly sent two weeks prior to the day I called), and they said that they didn't have anything on file for me. Turns out my doctor's office hadn't sent the forms!

Anyway, the person I talked to on the phone said it should only take 6-10 days after receipt for the forms to be marked as received on the portal.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's what I thought and I was patiently waiting, but I ended up calling Student Health to ask if they had received my health forms from the doctor's office (supposedly sent two weeks prior to the day I called), and they said that they didn't have anything on file for me. Turns out my doctor's office hadn't sent the forms!

Anyway, the person I talked to on the phone said it should only take 6-10 days after receipt for the forms to be marked as received on the portal.

Did you call the number that was given on the checklist portal? Because I called them twice and no one ever picks up. x_x

Withdrew due to wait list acceptance. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off alternate this morning at 10:39 am est! :)
Interviewed in March, alternate sometime in april!

Accepted off alternate this morning at 10:39 am est! :)
Interviewed in March, alternate sometime in april!

Congratulations!! I read some of your previous posts and found out we have very similar backgrounds, and it makes me happy to hear you got into DS:) Best wishes to you in medical school. I hope I can join you as a classmate in August!

Did you call the number that was given on the checklist portal? Because I called them twice and no one ever picks up. x_x

Yes, I did! I think I got lucky the first time. The person I talked to said I should call back after talking to my doctor's office, but when I called back the next day (I called twice too), no one picked up. :/ I tried calling the following day without luck, again. I'm waiting out 7 business days post-resubmission before bugging them again :3

Anyone have thoughts on Downstate vs. Stony Brook? Have the difficult task of choosing one by next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have thoughts on Downstate vs. Stony Brook? Have the difficult task of choosing one by next week.

I've considered this myself (interviewed at both) and personally I would lean toward Stony Brook because it seems to have a better reputation and greater research opportunities. They also take Step 1 later which is a plus, since it was shown that schools using this approach had greater Step 1 averages. Impressive match list, great facilities, and the surrounding area/environment is nice. Also just a short train ride from the city if you want to visit. Downstate definitely provides great clinical exposure and a diverse population since its in the city, and the students I met at both were down-to-earth and friendly. I think it ultimately depends on what you feel suits you best (location, curriculum, comfort, professional goals etc), because I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Just got the acceptance email this morning! Sent an update this past Monday. Interviewed in March, OOS.

Got my first acceptance a few hours ago :)

See you all in the fall!

OOS, interviewed waay back in sept

Do alt list students need to send transcripts?

I've considered this myself (interviewed at both) and personally I would lean toward Stony Brook because it seems to have a better reputation and greater research opportunities. They also take Step 1 later which is a plus, since it was shown that schools using this approach had greater Step 1 averages. Impressive match list, great facilities, and the surrounding area/environment is nice. Also just a short train ride from the city if you want to visit. Downstate definitely provides great clinical exposure and a diverse population since its in the city, and the students I met at both were down-to-earth and friendly. I think it ultimately depends on what you feel suits you best (location, curriculum, comfort, professional goals etc), because I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Stony brook actually takes step 1 earlier than downstate students by about a month. And if step 1 scores or match lists are a concern, check the downstate class of 2017 match list online and note that my class' step 1 Average is about 10 points above the national average. (The lowest score of any of my friends/the people I've talked to was a 230. Small sample size but the feeling I get from the class as a whole is that they all felt prepared and didn't bomb)

Downstate students are notorious for being extremely ready in terms of patient care because we have an insane amount of clinical exposure. Also the pass/fail curriculum makes for a MUCH more pleasant experience. I've talked to stony brook students and got the feeling that they were way more stressed and unhappy than everyone I know here.

Research and facilities and overall quality of the healthcare system involved goes to stony brook. But I truly believe you can't beat the experience we get at downstate, and that is what I feel really makes a good physician.

This is no longer true. They recently switched to taking Step 1 after third year.

How recent? I knew someone in class of 2019 (my year) that told me they take it in January before starting on the wards. I also do NOT like the idea of taking step after clerkships.

How recent? I knew someone in class of 2019 (my year) that told me they take it in January before starting on the wards. I also do NOT like the idea of taking step after clerkships.
I went to their second look day two months ago and they made a pretty big deal about Step 1 being taken after clerkships. I know the class of 2020 is taking their Step 1 after clerkships, so I guess they're the first class to do it.

The data seems to suggest that taking Step 1 after clerkships yields better scores. That also means you obviously know less going into your third year, but if everybody in your class starts off equally clueless, that won't really matter.

I went to their second look day two months ago and they made a pretty big deal about Step 1 being taken after clerkships. I know the class of 2020 is taking their Step 1 after clerkships, so I guess they're the first class to do it.

The data seems to suggest that taking Step 1 after clerkships yields better scores. That also means you obviously know less going into your third year, but if everybody in your class starts off equally clueless, that won't really matter.

Then when do they take step 2?
It's not about knowing less in clerkships. A lot of what you learn in the first two years is not reinforced in the third. You will remember pathologies and treatments better but you won't remember the basic science as well in my opinion. The data has to take into account length of time given to study as well. It definitely has some validity. I just personally don't like it. To each his own. Interesting that they changed to it though I honestly had no idea.

Then when do they take step 2?
It's not about knowing less in clerkships. A lot of what you learn in the first two years is not reinforced in the third. You will remember pathologies and treatments better but you won't remember the basic science as well in my opinion. The data has to take into account length of time given to study as well. It definitely has some validity. I just personally don't like it. To each his own. Interesting that they changed to it though I honestly had no idea.
They're given a study period and we were told that some students take Step 1 and 2 back-to-back.

Anybody from out of state starting to look for housing? I tried joining the fb group but it's still pending, so I can't see the housing doc. I want to make sure I sign a lease relatively early so I qualify for in-state tuition next school year.

Can anyone link me to the accepted student's fbook page? OOS and trying to get housing in order

Edit: Nvm found it ;)

Last edited:
Does anybody know when the white coat ceremony is? Also, has anybody received the White Coat Form that was supposedly "mailed over the summer"?

Does anybody know when the white coat ceremony is? Also, has anybody received the White Coat Form that was supposedly "mailed over the summer"?

We got an email today saying the white coat is August 10th, the last day of our orientation which starts August 7th, and we only get 2 guest tickets to the ceremony. As far as the form goes I haven't heard anything.

Hey I am trying to complete the BLS for health provider course and I am struggling to find the correct course on the website. There is BLS training but nothing is specified for health providers. Is this a course I have to go to in person or is there an online option on the website? Any help would be very much appreciated and you could message me. Thanks so much.

People who have submitted Fafsa, have you been contacted yet?

People who have submitted Fafsa, have you been contacted yet?
I called the office late last week to check the status and the lady was able to send me a screen shot of my aid package over email and she said the letters should be mailed out soon, possibly yesterday or today.