2016-2017 SUNY - Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it may have been a hack. Look at the email address: it spelled 'admissions' incorrectly even though it is still Downstate.edu. Very weird

I noticed that as well but aren't there some typos on the checklist website? Maybe it's the same person...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Downstate has contacted me thrice today and none were an acceptance. Please stop I know about the checklist!!

Reactions: 1 users
Downstate has contacted me thrice today and none were an acceptance. Please stop I know about the checklist!!
Literally the same thing happened to me. Downstate needs to stop toying with our emotions haha

Members don't see this ad :)

Were they all from the same email address? I just got an email from [email protected] with my login info, but earlier today I got the email from the incorrectly spelled email. I'm so confused.

Were they all from the same email address? I just got an email from [email protected] with my login info, but earlier today I got the email from the incorrectly spelled email. I'm so confused.
Yeah I just checked; they are different emails. Something's fishy

Literally the same thing happened to me. Downstate needs to stop toying with our emotions haha

Same!!! And several items I've submitted are still listed as not received. Do you think I should just give it another couple of days, or should I let them know I've already sent/filled out some of the items listed as incomplete?

Does the study styles inventory say "received" for anyone placed on the alt list in April? I completed it weeks ago but it still says "not received"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Same!!! And several items I've submitted are still listed as not received. Do you think I should just give it another couple of days, or should I let them know I've already sent/filled out some of the items listed as incomplete?

Does the study styles inventory say "received" for anyone placed on the alt list in April? I completed it weeks ago but it still says "not received"

I did it last week from my school's library computer and it seemed okay, but it still says "not received" and it gives me the option to retake the survey.

I did it last week from my school's library computer and it seemed okay, but it still says "not received" and it gives me the option to retake the survey.

Hmmmmm I wonder if retaking it will help.... I didn't know if our responses would affect our chances of acceptance and was feeling nervous while answering honestly

Just withdrew my spot, hope one of you people get it! Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah I just checked; they are different emails. Something's fishy
Called Admissions. Nothing weird going on, just a typo in the e-mail address somehow :thumbup: Also, there were a few odd things listed, like Deposit and Criminal Background Check, but those are only meant for accepted students.
If you're replying or sending them an e-mail, just correct the typo.

Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Called Admissions. Nothing weird going on, just a typo in the e-mail address somehow :thumbup: Also, there were a few odd things listed, like Deposit and Criminal Background Check, but those are only meant for accepted students.
If you're replying or sending them an e-mail, just correct the typo.

Thanks for letting us know!!

Withdrew my acceptance on Friday, hope one of you guys get it!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know where most M1s live?? Looking for housing right now.
Also, what's the process of getting in-state tuition?? Thanks!!

Does anyone know how strict they are about the documents you submit for in-state residency? My lease wasn't notarized when I signed it, is this a problem and should I submit something else?

EDIT:

Also, for bank statements should they be full statements of transactions or just the summary with an address at the top?

Last edited:
Does anyone know where most M1s live?? Looking for housing right now.
Also, what's the process of getting in-state tuition?? Thanks!!

About half of first years live on campus for convenience (which is very helpful in the first year). Other than that, you can find affordable housing wiThin minutes of downstate or live in trendier places such as park slope. Downstate com marketplace on fb has people offering their places when they graduate, and there's a housing doc that is circulating i believe.

As far as getting in state residency, I believe there is a list of requirements on the downstate website. All of my oos friends had no issue getting approved.

I was alternate listed as well. About 6 weeks since my interview.

Does anyone know how strict they are about the documents you submit for in-state residency? My lease wasn't notarized when I signed it, is this a problem and should I submit something else?

EDIT:

Also, for bank statements should they be full statements of transactions or just the summary with an address at the top?

Did you ever get an answer about the bank statements?

Accepted today. Interviewed 4/12. Over the moon excited and will definitely be attending!

Has anyone gotten their health clearance?/health cleared?

Do we need to have titers for all of the vaccines? The immunization form says either documentation of the vaccines OR lab tests, but the letter from the health coordinator says lab tests for all.... Just take confused

Do we need to have titers for all of the vaccines? The immunization form says either documentation of the vaccines OR lab tests, but the letter from the health coordinator says lab tests for all.... Just take confused

I did the specific titers they listed on the form (I think Hep B was one) and found out I never conferred resistance to Hep B. Had to get a booster so I def think they're worth doing

I also interviewed on 4/12 but haven't heard anything back. Not sure what it means but it doesn't feel like anything good.

Do you think there'll still be large-scale wait list movement this late after April 30? I'm trying to remain hopeful here, but I just feel that my chances slim as time goes on.

I'm trying to stay hopeful as well, but in all honesty I have no idea. They say any WL movement is good, but it definitely is discouraging when you get passed over each time there are 'boatloads' of people accepted from the WL. I hope they get to us eventually, and soon!

To any current student: what are the credit values for the courses? What's typically the number of credits you take your first year?

To all the people alt listed currently - this isn't a death sentence! I don't know what situation you're in (if you're hoping for an acceptance, or have one and want to get in here for whatever personal reason) but in the end, everything will be okay. I had a late interview last cycle (April) and was waitlisted, sent an LOI but no luck. I was a little devastated that I had to take a gap year, but as this year is coming to a close, I realize it only made me more confident in my skills as a future clinician. Beyond the gap year, I reapplied to every school I was waitlisted at last cycle (a lot) plus a new set. Downstate was the only school I reapplied to that interviewed me, and one of four to accept me this time around. My point being, Downstate is receptive to reapplicants, and if you end up in that scenario it isn't the end of the world. Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist, and try to enjoy your summer as much as you can!!! :love:

Edit: a student last year told me a similar story about himself so this is not rare; he was accepted after being waitlisted the year prior.

Do you think there'll still be large-scale wait list movement this late after April 30? I'm trying to remain hopeful here, but I just feel that my chances slim as time goes on.

I'm trying to stay hopeful as well, but in all honesty I have no idea. They say any WL movement is good, but it definitely is discouraging when you get passed over each time there are 'boatloads' of people accepted from the WL. I hope they get to us eventually, and soon!

Same...now that it is nearing the end of May I just feel so discouraged that I was passed over those times :( hope is definitely dwindling.

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know I was accepted off the alternate list last week but will be withdrawing. Good luck to everyone still waiting! I have my fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know I was accepted off the alternate list last week but will be withdrawing. Good luck to everyone still waiting! I have my fingers crossed for you!
Why are you withdrawing? Which school did you decide to go to?

Interview April 25th just got alt listed....seems like kind of late for this to happen but I'll keep praying for all of us in the alt list. Please keep withdrawing if you know you won't attend Downstate!

I just got accepted!! It was a direct acceptance, no alt list. Interviewed 4/12. At the moment it's my only acceptance so I'll be seeing you guys in August!

Also just got accepted! Interviewed 12/08, Alt list 3/27.

Reactions: 5 users
I just got accepted!! It was a direct acceptance, no alt list. Interviewed 4/12. At the moment it's my only acceptance so I'll be seeing you guys in August!

Wow congratz, they must have really liked you. April is a tough interview date to begin with, let alone get accepted directly. Interviewed in April last year myself.

Looks like the alt list isn't ranked and more fluid than it seems to be.

Just wondering if other accepted students can answer some questions for me. Right now all I have is the form which I have to sign and email back to the admissions office to reserve my spot. When/how do I get information about paying the deposit and getting financial aid? When do I get a list of the required materials, is that included with the mailed letter and how long does it take for that to get here?

Wow congratz, they must have really liked you. April is a tough interview date to begin with, let alone get accepted directly. Interviewed in April last year myself.

Looks like the alt list isn't ranked and more fluid than it seems to be.

I was actually really surprised because I thought I saw in emails from them prior to the interview that I was specifically interviewing for a spot on the alt list, but hey I'll take it! I believe I remember them saying during my interview day that the alt list was ranked, but perhaps that ranking can change as people send updates or LOIs?

Just wondering if other accepted students can answer some questions for me. Right now all I have is the form which I have to sign and email back to the admissions office to reserve my spot. When/how do I get information about paying the deposit and getting financial aid? When do I get a list of the required materials, is that included with the mailed letter and how long does it take for that to get here?
I know that the following link was provided to those in the alt list, but my guess is that we all need to fill in the same health forms, BSL/CPR course, and technical standards form. You may as well start getting those requirements now than wait till later, as everything is due July 1st.
Accepted Student Registration: Requirements and Information

May comes around and Downstate turns into a spambot