2016-2017 SUNY - Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
172 people on the official facebook group. Also got another checklist email today. Is there any hope for people on the alternate list?

Members don't see this ad.

I just withdrew my application from the Alternate List. I don't think there is going to be much more movement. Besides I liked Hofstra more anyways. Good luck to those waiting!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got accepted off the alternate list via email (Most nonchalant acceptance ever haha). Didn't do anything in the checklist. School became an afterthought but might have to think hard about it over the weekend. Wasn't a huge fan of the area but I know there's a new building and students seemed pretty chill. Any other things that push Downstate over my current acceptance at USF? Would be nice to see an aid package too...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted off the waitlist tonight. I hadn't been accepted anywhere yet so this is an absolute stunner! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted off the alternate list via email (Most nonchalant acceptance ever haha). Didn't do anything in the checklist. School became an afterthought but might have to think hard about it over the weekend. Wasn't a huge fan of the area but I know there's a new building and students seemed pretty chill. Any other things that push Downstate over my current acceptance at USF? Would be nice to see an aid package too...
While the school and facilities are kind of old, I think the clinical experience you will get in Brooklyn is incredible. Plus you are a train ride away from New York City, which is also a plus. Are you IS for either school?

While the school and facilities are kind of old, I think the clinical experience you will get in Brooklyn is incredible. Plus you are a train ride away from New York City, which is also a plus. Are you IS for either school?
Nope out of state for both. For NY, I can get in-state after a year which is a plus I guess. City-wise, I prefer NY over Tampa, but education-wise, USF is the better school - although I've heard very good things about Downstate's clinical experience as you mentioned. Hoping I can call them Monday and see what they can offer financially.

Accepted off the alt list last night. Totally unexpected! How strict is Downstate with the admission checklist? I've submitted most of the things today except the CPR cert. Hopefully I can obtain it by Friday or early next week. I have the American Red Cross CPR cert from last year, but Downstate only takes the one from AHA. UGH!

What makes you say that USF is better education-wise? USF redid their curriculum a few years ago because their pass rate for Step 1 was too low.

Either way, all schools teach the same things in the preclinical years and we all use the same resources. The main things to use to make a decision is cost, location, which curriculum best jives with your learning style, and your intuition as to where you will best be happy.

(To be clear, I don't think either school is better than the other in terms of preclinical education. I'm only curious why you would think USF offers a better education. It is all a matter of learning style and which school will best accomodate that. Like Yale has a great education, but would be horrible for me)
It was purely based on rankings and the hospital systems, which of course isn't the perfect marker. I'm sure both will probably offer similar qualities in terms of curriculum. Think I'm leaning towards USF though, since I called the finaid office and was told I'll have all loans. Hope one of you guys are able to get my spot!

A question for last year's applicants, were questions 3/4 either-or? I really don't know what kind of answer is appropriate for "Why I want to attend downstate," but can answer the support system question well.

Hey guys...i'm a current ms2 at downstate and am willing to answer any questions y'all may have as I am not all that busy and won't be for like a month.

Also if anybody received an interview, I highly recommend staying with a student on campus. It's free, convenient, and offers an unbiased view of what school/life here is like!

Hi,

I was wondering what a good way to approach the support system in new york question. I've lived in San Francisco and San Diego my entire life so I wont have any problems living in a big city. Is there something more interesting to write here? Maybe my support system will be my girlfriend who will move there with me haha

Current MS3 here - I'm a bit far removed from the application process, so may not be able to tell you much about the process itself, but I'm more than happy to answer any questions about Downstate that I can :)

Hi Keladry,

How should I approach this secondary question in a novel, thoughtful way?
"If you are not from the 5 boroughs of New York City, describe what personal experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system."

Hey everyone,

So I was born in one of the 5 boroughs of NY (born in Brooklyn) and lived in Staten Island for 14 years, but I have been a Pennsylvania resident since 2007. I am unsure whether or not to answer this question:

"If you are not from the 5 boroughs of New York City, describe what personal experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system."

Or type in 'n/a' and answer this question instead:

"If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain."

If I were to answer the latter, with 100 words, should I mention my previous ties to NY and current family members/friends that live both in Brooklyn and SI? Any response would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

How do you know that you have to choose one of these questions? I don't see anything in the secondary application that says these two questions are either or. I think you need to answer both....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Keladry,

How should I approach this secondary question in a novel, thoughtful way?

Just answer it in a way that's true for you - what kind of support system will you have? Do you have any experience in NYC or another city that prepares you to be here?

Hey Everyone,

I am at a bit of an impasse here. Was planning to go to SUNY Downstate but just got in off the waitlist at Einstein. I posted on the x vs. y forums, but wanted to through it up here as any med student input would be greatly appreciated.

28 y/o M non-trad moving from SF to NYC. Background in software sales and real estate before making the switch.

Any and all input would be appreciated!

Downstate

Pros
  • -- Live off campus in a fun part of New York = better dating scene, more diversity of people to interact with, feels more like living in a city
  • -- (Supposedly) Incredible clinical experience, a big priority for me
  • Really like the education model with the Neuro and Clinical Educator pathways + Integrated Pathways Curriculum = more clinical focus (1.5 pre/2.5 clinical)
  • Better interview day; really connected with my interviewer and liked the students I saw and met; really good vibes (also very important)

Cons
  • -- No savings on tuition as COL and OOS Tuition for first year make it same price as Einstein (~$320,000 when all is said and done)
  • -- Comparable, albeit slightly worse match list compared to Einstein, esp. when it comes to West Coast matches (another big priority)
  • Not getting a great vibe from admissions office in terms of accessibility and competence; seems like there isn't much investment in school's administrative staff (not a huge deal but not a great look either)
  • Not much of a rep on the West Coast
  • Older buildings, but Einstein ain't much better TBH...

Einstein
Pros
  • -- Great reputation within medical community = prestige, name recognition, slight edge in matches
  • -- Nice students, but didn't get the same sense of collegiality as I did at Downstate (small sample size of interview day though so.....)
  • -- Research oriented; not something that is a priority for me necessarily, but an area of medicine I hope to learn more about anyway + lots of opportunities there (anyone who can expand on research and how that really impacts residency apps would be appreciated!)
  • Excellent hospital system as well, although I am unsure how the clinical rep at Einstein stacks up to Downstate
  • Campus vibe, which could also be a con. As an older non-trad I'm worried I might get bored stuck way out in campus island that is Einstein, although it seems like they do a good job of fostering a communal environment. The jury's out for me on this.

Cons
  • -- Campus Island in the Bronx
  • -- Higher Tuition, but unknowable at this point if that will change, so this could be a Pro
  • -- Older education model
  • -- OK interview session, had a nice talk with my interviewer but we didn't connect and she prep before the interview

Summary: Feels like this boils down to reputation vs. lifestyle, but with many shades of gray on each side. Any insight from current students or applicants would be welcome.

Hey Everyone,

I am at a bit of an impasse here. Was planning to go to SUNY Downstate but just got in off the waitlist at Einstein. I posted on the x vs. y forums, but wanted to through it up here as any med student input would be greatly appreciated.

28 y/o M non-trad moving from SF to NYC. Background in software sales and real estate before making the switch.

Downstate

Pros
  • -- Live off campus in a fun part of New York = better dating scene, more diversity of people to interact with, feels more like living in a city
  • Really like the education model with the Neuro and Clinical Educator pathways + Integrated Pathways Curriculum = more clinical focus (1.5 pre/2.5 clinical)
  • Better interview day; really connected with my interviewer and liked the students I saw and met; really good vibes (also very important)

Cons
  • -- No savings on tuition as COL and OOS Tuition for first year make it same price as Einstein (~$320,000 when all is said and done)
  • -- Comparable, albeit slightly worse match list compared to Einstein, esp. when it comes to West Coast matches (another big priority)
  • Not getting a great vibe from admissions office in terms of accessibility and competence; seems like there isn't much investment in school's administrative staff (not a huge deal but not a great look either)

Einstein
Pros
  • -- Great reputation within medical community = prestige, name recognition, slight edge in matches
  • -- Nice students, but didn't get the same sense of collegiality as I did at Downstate (small sample size of interview day though so.....)
  • -- Research oriented; not something that is a priority for me necessarily, but an area of medicine I hope to learn more about anyway + lots of opportunities there (anyone who can expand on research and how that really impacts residency apps would be appreciated!)
  • Excellent hospital system as well, although I am unsure how the clinical rep at Einstein stacks up to Downstate
  • Campus vibe, which could also be a con. As an older non-trad I'm worried I might get bored stuck way out in campus island that is Einstein, although it seems like they do a good job of fostering a communal environment. The jury's out for me on this.

Cons
  • -- Higher Tuition, but unknowable at this point if that will change, so this could be a Pro
  • -- OK interview session, had a nice talk with my interviewer but we didn't connect and she prep before the interview

Summary: Feels like this boils down to reputation vs. lifestyle, but with many shades of gray on each side. Any insight from current students or applicants would be welcome.

Hi there - current Downstate MS4, so I can answer any questions you might have regarding Downstate, though I can't speak to Einstein.
Clinical experience here has been really incredible - you will graduate from here able to do anything.
Is the COL really the same given the ability to get in-state tuition after MS1? If so, fair enough, but I'd double-check that - I was OOS my first year and will be spending about $250k when all is said and done, not $320k.
From what I know, most people who wanted to end up on the west coast did. I think there are more people here who want to stay in NY/NYC - it is a state school, and most students have ties to the area - and our match list reflects that. I don't think you'll be forced to stay on the east coast if you don't want to, though. You may be right about not much of a west coast rep, though it depends on the field (we do real well when it comes to EM, can't speak much to other specialties).
Yeah administration can be kind of a mess haha, can't argue that. And yes, the buildings are old, though most of Kings County is new and shiny. To me, a classroom is a classroom is a classroom, and the preclinical years are pretty similar most places (I do like our integrated curriculum, but that kind of curriculum is becoming more and more common), but the clinical education can vary pretty widely, and I wouldn't have traded mine for anything.

If you have any questions/concerns, let me know. And best of luck with your decision, and with starting med school!

Hey Everyone,

Downstate

Pros

Cons

Einstein
Pros

Cons

I don't think the difference in reputation between Einstein and Downstate is enough to be a huge factor in your decision. It just sounds to me like since you liked Downstate more (and because it's cheaper), you should decide on Downstate. With that said, maybe you can contact Einstein and Downstate to see if they would be able to offer you any financial incentives to make the decision easier...

They're both good schools in a great city. You can't go wrong.

Hey everyone! Current applicant for the 2017 cycle here, was just wondering if anyone had positive results with similar stats/scenario. 3.34 undergrad GPA, 3.16 sGPA but I had a strong upward trend having started the first two years with a 2.78 GPA average. Also did a post-bac program at temple and got a 3.95 GPA to prove I can do well in med courses and have a 507 MCAT. Great ECs and LORs, cancer survivor and have had to overcome a lot of medical adversity in my life due to a chronic bone disease i have and started a foundation with my family a few years back which just recently found a cure for my disease, so I have a good overall "story" but weakish numbers. Caucasian male that will be two years out of college by the time of matriculation. Brooklyn resident and actually went to downstate open house today and I absolutely love it and really really really really want to go there. Any people that can somewhat relate and got in or at least got an interview, let me know please, could use some more hope at the moment hahahaha. Thanks!

Hey everyone! Current applicant for the 2017 cycle here, was just wondering if anyone had positive results with similar stats/scenario. 3.34 undergrad GPA, 3.16 sGPA but I had a strong upward trend having started the first two years with a 2.78 GPA average. Also did a post-bac program at temple and got a 3.95 GPA to prove I can do well in med courses and have a 507 MCAT. Great ECs and LORs, cancer survivor and have had to overcome a lot of medical adversity in my life due to a chronic bone disease i have and started a foundation with my family a few years back which just recently found a cure for my disease, so I have a good overall "story" but weakish numbers. Caucasian male that will be two years out of college by the time of matriculation. Brooklyn resident and actually went to downstate open house today and I absolutely love it and really really really really want to go there. Any people that can somewhat relate and got in or at least got an interview, let me know please, could use some more hope at the moment hahahaha. Thanks!

I like the post-bac and you have a great story but it will be tough. Cancer survivor should really pop off the screen but I have not known Downstate to consider people with MCAT's below 509ish and their average gpa is around 3.8 so I don't think your chances are very good at this particular school. But you have an awesome story! And I wish you all the best!
Also it doesn't hurt to shoot your shot! Anything can happen! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I like the post-bac and you have a great story but it will be tough. Cancer survivor should really pop off the screen but I have not known Downstate to consider people with MCAT's below 509ish and their average gpa is around 3.8 so I don't think your chances are very good at this particular school. But you have an awesome story! And I wish you all the best!
Also it doesn't hurt to shoot your shot! Anything can happen! Good luck!

Thank you very much! Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone have an extra white coat ceremony ticket?

Just got in off the alternate list!!! My only acceptance so huge surprise

Reactions: 4 users
Just got in off the alternate list!!! My only acceptance so huge surprise
Literally happened to me today as well. Speechless, but nervous since school stars in about 2 weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
Also got a call around 2 oclock, see you in 2 weeks KnowitAll!

Likewise Lorko! Did you get all your clearance requirements done? Also, what're you doing for housing?
I sent stuff a while back but I am definitely still missing a couple items. I feel like we have no time to get this stuff in lol. I'm going to call tomorrow and get a better idea of what I have to send in. As for housing I plan on finding an apartment with my gf somewhere. How are you doing with the checklist?

I sent stuff a while back but I am definitely still missing a couple items. I feel like we have no time to get this stuff in lol. I'm going to call tomorrow and get a better idea of what I have to send in. As for housing I plan on finding an apartment with my gf somewhere. How are you doing with the checklist?
Same, I sent in some stuff couple months back. They put on my checklist that I was missing certain health items but I ignored it since I thought this late in the game is a no go to get off the waitlist. I did call admissions office today and he said to ignore the deadlines. The doctor that spoke to me on the phone did say I must receive clearance before white coat ceremony and before I can register; which refers most likely to the admissions checklist. Housing is up in the air for me at the moment, anxiety striking.

I mean statistically speaking (GPA and MCAT) it isn't encouraging but you aren't a traditional applicant with everything else being absolutely amazing as well as your story really says something about your character. Being a Brooklyn resident on top of that, I would feel very confident about an interview opportunity here to at least expand on your story in person! Just apply early and the rest should fall into place. Best of luck.

I mean statistically speaking (GPA and MCAT) it isn't encouraging but you aren't a traditional applicant with everything else being absolutely amazing as well as your story really says something about your character. Being a Brooklyn resident on top of that, I would feel very confident about an interview opportunity here to at least expand on your story in person! Just apply early and the rest should fall into place. Best of luck.

Thank you so much for the kind words! I appreciate it. I have been complete for a few weeks now and just waiting to hear back, will keep you posted!