2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have an idea the latest you could be pulled off the waitlist once April 30th has passed?

Until they fill the class. I know of med students, not at OHSU but at other institutions, that didn't start med school until the second or third day of orientation because someone dropped out the first day of orientation. They said at my interview they'd like to fill the class at least a month before the start of school, but they also mentioned a few years ago they didn't fill the class until 2 weeks before orientation.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put on hold today. 13 weeks out from interview

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
How did they notify you? Email? I am 13+ weeks out as well (Interview was 11/18) and it still has nothing on my portal beyond the fact that I interviewed. Did they tell you anything else except that you were put on hold? Thanks!

The portal shows I was put on hold today. Interviewed 10 weeks ago on 12/14.

The portal shows I was put on hold today. Interviewed 10 weeks ago on 12/14.
Did your most recent update before that say "Your MD interview has been scheduled for (Insert date here" then thank you for interviewing and ask you to fill out a survey about interview day? Just trying to get some context lol.

Alright, so I called in. They said there are many people in our same boat and not too worry--at this point no news is good news. I got the impression that the woman I spoke with answered many calls from anxious applicants because she spoke very reassuringly, haha. She mentioned how they had a team of 4 people fielding thousands of applications and it's peak interview season so they are swamped.
I also asked her about some updates--I mentioned I sent an email to the interview coordinator and never got a reply. I asked if she knew if those updates had made there way to my interviewer and if there was a better way to contact the interview coordinator. She said email was indeed the best method of contact, and she said my updates had most likely been added to my e-file.

Unless you have a more urgent matter and you've already tried emailing, I would probably avoid calling. You'll most likely get the same info I did.

Did she say "No news is good news" or is that the impression you got? Either way I will take it lol

How did they notify you? Email? I am 13+ weeks out as well (Interview was 11/18) and it still has nothing on my portal beyond the fact that I interviewed. Did they tell you anything else except that you were put on hold? Thanks!

It was updated on portal with no email. Just says put on hold until April 30th where at that point they'll either accept, reject, or put you on the alternative list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did she say "No news is good news" or is that the impression you got? Either way I will take it lol
She said it outright. Like I said, she's probably very used to neurotic/anxious premeds calling in and has got her assuring spiel down, haha. I think the distinguishing thing is, while other schools may never outright reject you and just ignore you forever, OHSU WILL give you your decision once they've met and discussed you. So basically waiting is not a bad thing, and it's not a good thing. It's just a thing and you don't need to worry about it. And you haven't been put on hold/rejected yet! I got accepted around 16ish weeks post interview, so it's completely possible.

vancouver wa resident here, should i apply next cycle? Im basically an Oregonian since I shop there so much. :))))

Members don't see this ad :)
Was that your first update since your interview? Or had you heard something else too?
Yes, that was my first update on the portal. At 13+ weeks I was starting to lose hope!

vancouver wa resident here, should i apply next cycle? Im basically an Oregonian since I shop there so much. :))))
SALES TAX DODGER! SHAME!

It depends. Are you URM? do you have immediate family in OR? Did you go to college or HS in OR? Basically are you a mission-based student is what I'm going for here.

Reactions: 1 user
SALES TAX DODGER! SHAME!

It depends. Are you URM? do you have immediate family in OR? Did you go to college or HS in OR? Basically are you a mission-based student is what I'm going for here.

This topic has come up before and even though you may be close enough to see Oregon out your back window, you still need to have some connection to the state as mentioned.

"Oregon Heritage is defined as 1) A student with one or both parents residing in Oregon at the time of application, 2) A student who graduated from high school in Oregon with at least two years of attendance at a high school in Oregon, or 3) A student who graduated from an Oregon institution of higher education with a bachelor’s or advanced degree with at least two years of attendance at an institution of higher education in Oregon."

Rejected! Woooo I can finally stop checking the portal!

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected! Woooo I can finally stop checking the portal!

Sorry to hear that, I was rooting for ya! Anyone that knows what an em dash is, is good in my books ;)

Sorry to hear that, I was rooting for ya!
Eh it's ok. There's still ESFCOM to keep me close to home. Wasn't optimistic about this school anyway. I'm trying to take the "beggars can't be choosers" mentality since I've been accepted elsewhere.

Last edited:
I have a friend that interviewed the first week of January and got a post-II rejection last week
It's wild how they jump all over the place. People who interviewed in January already know their status but people who interviewed Nov/Dec still not hearing anything!

It's wild how they jump all over the place. People who interviewed in January already know their status but people who interviewed Nov/Dec still not hearing anything!
definitely! that was the shortest response time I've heard of anyone getting so far, and also the worst news I've heard anyone getting. Goes to show that how long you have to wait for this school to respond really has no bearing on their final decisions

I interviewed mid-September and I have been placed on hold until April 30th...clock is ticking slowly.

Are IIs expected to be given out still?
Submit in Aug, complete in Nov and still haven't heard anything. Is this a silent rejection at this point?
Would it be worth it to send a pre-II update statement?

Are IIs expected to be given out still?
Submit in Aug, complete in Nov and still haven't heard anything. Is this a silent rejection at this point?
Would it be worth it to send a pre-II update statement?
I got an interview for OHSU on the 7th and the available dates were toward the end of March or early April. From what I understood at the interview day, they are planning to interview into the first week of April (April 5th or so, if I remember correctly)... so as of two weeks ago, they were already booking the last ones? Having said that, they said this season has been delayed because of the crazy snow storm in Portland. I guess you'll have to wait and see what happens, but I think we are at the tail end of interview invites for this school. Good luck!

Just checked my portal for the first time in awhile, apparently I was rejected pre-II like 10 days ago.... lol

No worries though, this school was a long shot... no ties to the state

Last edited:
I just got an acceptance via email!! I'm super stoked but the portal hasn't updated to reflect this. I feel like I can't celebrate too much until I know this is for real!!

Interviewed in early January.

Reactions: 5 users
I just got an acceptance via email!! I'm super stoked but the portal hasn't updated to reflect this. I feel like I can't celebrate too much until I know this is for real!!

Interviewed in early January.

Congratulations!! That's so exiting! :)

Congratulations!! That's so exiting! :)

Thanks! I called to confirm. It's real!!!

I should add that I'm IS and a re-applicant. I had just started studying for an MCAT retake. I'm soooo glad I don't have to go through that again.

I should add that I'm IS and a re-applicant. I had just started studying for an MCAT retake. I'm soooo glad I don't have to go through that again.
Yay! When did you interview in January? I interviewed on the 25th and am trying to see when I'll hear back:nailbiting:

Congrats! You say you're a re-applicant, did you already retake the MCAT after not getting in last time?

I interviewed the first week of January.

I only took the MCAT once and got a 504. I was going to retake it after not getting in last year but decided to focus on getting more volunteer hours since I barely had any.

I interviewed the first week of January.

I only took the MCAT once and got a 504. I was going to retake it after not getting in last year but decided to focus on getting more volunteer hours since I barely had any.

Did they give you any recommendations last year on what to work on?

Just got put on hold today. Interviewed 11/2, MMI:6-7/10 , 1 on 1: 7/10, LizzyM: 67.5

Did they give you any recommendations last year on what to work on?

Last year they told me to work on my service hours, and my interview skills. The 1-1 interviewer said my personal statement didn't line up with what I said during my interview, which was fair because my personal statement was trash. I finished it the day before AMCAS closed...

For this cycle I put a lot of work into perfecting my personal statement and my essays. I had each one edited by 3-4 people. I was very clear about my motivation for medicine and had time to practice my interview skills during the 4 other interviews I had. I also got a lot of service hours as well as working full time as a clinical research coordinator.

I think my interview this year was definitely better but I didn't feel like I hit it out of the park, and I'm pretty sure I'm not great at the MMI style. My only post interview rejection came from a school that uses MMI.

Last year they told me to work on my service hours, and my interview skills. The 1-1 interviewer said my personal statement didn't line up with what I said during my interview, which was fair because my personal statement was trash. I finished it the day before AMCAS closed...

For this cycle I put a lot of work into perfecting my personal statement and my essays. I had each one edited by 3-4 people. I was very clear about my motivation for medicine and had time to practice my interview skills during the 4 other interviews I had. I also got a lot of service hours as well as working full time as a clinical research coordinator.

I think my interview this year was definitely better but I didn't feel like I hit it out of the park, and I'm pretty sure I'm not great at the MMI style. My only post interview rejection came from a school that uses MMI.

Wow thanks for all the info! This might be a silly question, but what do you mean by "service" hours?

Wow thanks for all the info! This might be a silly question, but what do you mean by "service" hours?

Community service.

Edit: Specifically those less fortunate than yourself.

Last edited:
Just got put on hold today. Interviewed 11/2, MMI:6-7/10 , 1 on 1: 7/10, LizzyM: 67.5

Got the Hold List notification too. Interview 11/18. I'm curious what the scores are you posted about MMI and 1 on 1 interviews (where you said "MMI:6-7/10 , 1 on 1: 7/10"). I have seen similar posts about people with scores in these categories. What do they mean? I couldn't find what they mean anywhere on this website. Thanks!