2016-2017 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats, y'all!!
But I need some stats!

Thanks! I was very lucky to get in without getting NFA'd first. My stats are average for this school. I feel that it was my personal statement/interview/admissions committee advocate that did it. I'm a non-trad and I have a pretty unique story.

Best wishes to everybody with the upcoming advocacy meeting!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted! Interviewed 1/10. I can definitely say that my interviews, personal statement, and extracurriculars helped me the most. I have a 3.4 sGPA and 3.55 cGPA. 510 MCAT. No NFA. Feeling super super grateful honestly didn't think I was getting in anywhere this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted. Instate
cGPA 3.36
sGPA 3.89
MCAT 507
Interviewed mid December

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know what the interview situation is at New Orleans? Like, are there still interview slots open or would they all be filled up at this point? My last active application is at LSU-NO and I'm trying to figure out if I need to start planning for another application cycle already.

Anybody know what the interview situation is at New Orleans? Like, are there still interview slots open or would they all be filled up at this point? My last active application is at LSU-NO and I'm trying to figure out if I need to start planning for another application cycle already.

Hey dude, I got an II last week for March 6th, so I believe they are still taking interviews

They'll still interview throughout March, however, they are required by AAMC to have offered all of their seats by the 15th. This doesn't mean they will stop interviewing people because some might give up their seat, but they will say " oh you're a great candidate, but our class is full-- thanks for coming interview.. etc.. "

They'll still interview throughout March, however, they are required by AAMC to have offered all of their seats by the 15th. This doesn't mean they will stop interviewing people because some might give up their seat, but they will say " oh you're a great candidate, but our class is full-- thanks for coming interview.. etc.. "

Ughhh that makes me nervous. So interviewing 2/22 is pretty much a long shot to getting an acceptance since it's so close to the 3/15 deadline? How many interview days are there between now and 3/15?

y'all, heard the advocacy meeting is tomorrow. Getting EXTREMELY neurotic right now and I need people to shed some light...

Has anyone heard of having an early interview but not getting an acceptance after the first advocacy meeting? The facebook page has 143 members, so what that leaves about 60 more acceptances that can go out before the max acceptances out is reached. Or does anyone have any clue as to how many applicants they could be discussing tomorrow?

y'all, heard the advocacy meeting is tomorrow. Getting EXTREMELY neurotic right now and I need people to shed some light...

Has anyone heard of having an early interview but not getting an acceptance after the first advocacy meeting? The facebook page has 143 members, so what that leaves about 60 more acceptances that can go out before the max acceptances out is reached. Or does anyone have any clue as to how many applicants they could be discussing tomorrow?
Don't forget 145 members also include 5 admins and few other L1s. So there may be a couple more spots than you think. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

oh geez, they could be talking about us right now..!?!?

Admissions office told me today that they will be issuing II's until April 19th

Reactions: 2 users
Hey does anyone know if they mailed out the letters on Friday or Monday? The wait is killing me lol

Hey does anyone know if they mailed out the letters on Friday or Monday? The wait is killing me lol
I don't think they'd have mailed out letters on the day of the meeting, so Monday at earliest would be my guess. Good luck!!!

yup. I've interview sept 22nd (2014), sept 21st (2015) , and Oct 5th ( 2016 ) --- thinking I should start praying a little more or, perhaps, go hang out in the Caribbean for 4 years?!!?

Last edited:
yup. I've interview sept 22nd (2014), sept 21st (2015) , and Oct 5th ( 2016 ) --- thinking I should start praying a little more or, perhaps, go hang out in the Caribbean for 4 years?!!?

That's insane. How have they not accepted you after all of that??

There are people currently at LSU who have applied more times than you. Don't give up.

I received a letter saying that my status has not been changed.

Can any current students shed some light on the mandatory laptop situation? Is that just for tests, or do you have to bring it everyday? I have a brand new MacBook so I was hoping to be able to use that

Got the mail in today! ACCEPTED!! Still in shock!

Shoutout to SDN for these past two years... couldn't have done it without y'all!

Good luck to the rest of y'all!

Reactions: 13 users
Can any current students shed some light on the mandatory laptop situation? Is that just for tests, or do you have to bring it everyday? I have a brand new MacBook so I was hoping to be able to use that

Mandatory lap top is only required for tests. Most people use them as their everyday computer. Some people still use other computers. It really is up to you. The only thing you have to do is pay for one.

Jk. ACCEPTED :)

Reactions: 16 users
Did I understand correctly that for those of us who recently interviewed, we wouldn't receive word until after 3/21 (The next advocacy meeting)? So sometime the next week via snail-mail?

Did I understand correctly that for those of us who recently interviewed, we wouldn't receive word until after 3/21 (The next advocacy meeting)? So sometime the next week via snail-mail?

Hmm, I interviewed yesterday and was told the following--

Interviewees from 2/22 would be discussed at the March 24th regular committee meeting. The next advocacy meeting is in early May. He didn't mention a 3/21 meeting to us. He told us we would not receive any correspondence by the 3/15 deadline. I want to assume this means that those spots have already been decided?

I'm not sure if I've actually clarified anything for you but that was my intention!

I was wondering the same thing. I interviewed last week and was told we wouldn't hear anything until late March. So is there no regular February monthly meeting?

I think that's probably due to Mardi Gras and the 3/15 deadline having some precedence. How are yall feeling about not being in the running for the 3/15 deadline? Eubanks was very assuring that there is a lot of movement to be expected and that LSU is just now entering the bulk phase of its interviewing and accepting. He said to fill a class of 200, he usually has to offer 300 spots..seems high or am I just superrr neurotic right now?

I think that's probably due to Mardi Gras and the 3/15 deadline having some precedence. How are yall feeling about not being in the running for the 3/15 deadline? Eubanks was very assuring that there is a lot of movement to be expected and that LSU is just now entering the bulk phase of its interviewing and accepting. He said to fill a class of 200, he usually has to offer 300 spots..seems high or am I just superrr neurotic right now?

Ugghh. I was secretly hoping I just misinterpreted the situation and we would be reviewed before the 3/15 deadline. Bummer.

Hmm.. :thinking: .. I thought he made it seem like we would still be in the running though? At least I thought it kinda came across that way.. That's discouraging if that's true. But, I mean, I don't really see how we could possibly be in the running if our status is pending until the 21st and March 15th is the deadline to send out acceptances?..

(Yeah and I may be mistaking an "Advocacy Meeting" for a "Regular Meeting" regarding the March 21st date. I'm still a little confused about the difference, all I know is that that's the date he told us we'd get a decision made, and more than likely it will be "NFA".)

That's probably close to the number, I can't remember specifically for LSU but I know that FSU has 120seats, offers 300interviews, and around 180 acceptances. (Also FSU offers fewer # of acceptances than most schools.)

Facebook page has now 191 members. They must've sent a lot of acceptances after the most recent advocacy meeting.

Facebook page has now 191 members. They must've sent a lot of acceptances after the most recent advocacy meeting.
193 now, but 11 are admins. But to be fair, they do have that March 15 deadline to meet.

Anyone know the deadline for which an applicant must accept LSU's offer is?

Anyone know the deadline for which an applicant must accept LSU's offer is?

I think the deadline to choose a medical school when you have multiple acceptances is either April 30 or May 1.

Just keep trying!! There was a doctor that I interviewed with that applied 5 times before he got in. Now he is in his second residency and happy as a clam!

Congrats! Mind sharing your stats and complete date?

Yeh no prob. I am (very) non-traditional. I have a terrible undergrad GPA (2.6) but my 32-hour rule post-bacc GPA is a 4.0 and my MCAT score was 517. So, hopefully I can get in with my post-bacc grades, but otherwise, I will be continuing grad school stuff and trying to raise my overall GPA via averaging it with my undergrad. It's a long road, but, if you love something, time and money won't factor in to pursuing that dream.

I got an interview to Shreveport on 2/7 and immediately got a rejection letter (LOL). It was my first rejection letter, but I framed it and it's now hanging up in my living room. So, if New Orleans rejects me, I'll be able to add the letter to my burgeoning collection. In my opinion, embracing the rejection just has to be a way of life if you want to succeed. One can't take someone's opinions of them personal.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeh no prob. I am (very) non-traditional. I have a terrible undergrad GPA (2.6) but my 32-hour rule post-bacc GPA is a 4.0 and my MCAT score was 517. So, hopefully I can get in with my post-bacc grades, but otherwise, I will be continuing grad school stuff and trying to raise my overall GPA via averaging it with my undergrad. It's a long road, but, if you love something, time and money won't factor in to pursuing that dream.

I got an interview to Shreveport on 2/7 and immediately got a rejection letter (LOL). It was my first rejection letter, but I framed it and it's now hanging up in my living room. So, if New Orleans rejects me, I'll be able to add the letter to my burgeoning collection. In my opinion, embracing the rejection just has to be a way of life if you want to succeed. One can't take someone's opinions of them personal.

I wouldn't worry about Shreveport's opinion, it's useless... a 4.0 and 517 (wow) is competitive in Nola.. unless you have a bad criminal record..

Those stats are more than good enough for Nola. Do you have any research under your belt?
Shreveport/Dr Kennedy can be... unpredictable.

Those stats are more than good enough for Nola. Do you have any research under your belt?
Shreveport/Dr Kennedy can be... unpredictable.
Word on the street is that he may be about to retire.

Word on the street is that he may be about to retire.

I have had a truly awful experience with him.

Anyone have any idea when Nola will be sending out more IIs?

I wouldn't worry about Shreveport's opinion, it's useless... a 4.0 and 517 (wow) is competitive in Nola.. unless you have a bad criminal record..

^^^ no criminal record hahaha.

I don't let any of these people's BS affect how I feel about myself. I (thought) my interview with Kennedy went well. One of the other interviews went great too. The other one was a little ....rough. He was a psychiatrist and started over-generalizing about what my transcripts said about me as a person. I called him out on it. I told him that since we were laying everything out on the table, I felt like he was overgeneralizing (I with great difficulty refrained from drawing the connection between over-generalizing and psychiatry), that his conclusions failed to consider that people are dynamic, and that transcripts and stats were only a representation of a person and not the person themselves.

Overall, I enjoyed the interview process in Shreveport. Dr. Kennedy is, I believe, what old people call a "tart". I thought we bonded, but apparently not so much lol. The important thing I learned is that these people do this for a living and can most likely mask any sort of adverse feelings or reactions during the interview. Now that I think about it, I was overly chatty because I so excited. Moving forward, I will likely temper that a bit more, give slightly shorter answers, and allow the interviewer to ask more questions.